Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Srice posted:

There's also the argument to be made that it will energize republican voters as well. They already hate Biden but now they're getting the abortion ban they wanted, and a gay marriage ban might be in the cards too? They're getting a lot of what they want with promises of more on the horizon.

I mean the wording of the ~draft ruling~ explicitly calls out past rulings in favor of contraception, interracial marriage and gay marriage, and against forced sterilization and forced surgery in general, so they're openly saying they want full Nuremberg Laws at this point.

Alito practically said "We want full nazi poo poo, just a little later."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Majorian posted:

Several posters, myself included, suggested investigating Manchin and his family. I even posted an Intercept piece on things Manchin can and should be investigated over.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Cutting them off from the party's fundraising infrastructure would be a simple and easy one. They could freeze them out of the basic services the party provides that allow you to successfully run races. Is it impossible without them? No, but it's a whole lot harder.

I don't think Manchin really cares. He is a millionaire, and in the good books of both the GOP donors and voters in his state. He could switch parties the instant you go after him. Sinema could maybe be pressured, but there is no point alienating one senator if you can't get the other.

The only solution is to have a majority without guys like Manchin. If you had 52-53 senators, putting pressure on the Democrats to nuke the filibuster would be a viable solution in this situation.

Short of literally putting a gun to Manchin's family's head, there is nothing you are going to do to get him to budge, and without him you have zero options. With the impending red wave, everyone needs to accept that abortion rights, are gone until 2028 at the earliest, and a few more rights will follow in short order.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

The only solution is to have a majority without guys like Manchin. If you had 52-53 senators, putting pressure on the Democrats to nuke the filibuster would be a viable solution in this situation.

Getting this kind of majority is effectively impossible, as has been pointed out many times already.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

sean10mm posted:

Pure guess, the democrats probably don't lean on the blue dog dildos because they'll simply switch to R out of spite.

If this happens, nothing gets passed regardless. And a bad poo poo Dem gets removed from the party, and can be replaced. Seems like win-win.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

I don't think Manchin really cares. He is a millionaire, and in the good books of both the GOP donors and voters in his state. He could switch parties the instant you go after him. Sinema could maybe be pressured, but there is no point alienating one senator if you can't get the other.

Short of literally putting a gun to Manchin's family's head, there is nothing you are going to do to get him to budge, and without him you have zero options. With the impending red wave, everyone needs to accept that abortion rights, are gone until 2028 at the earliest, and a few more rights will follow in short order.

Sounds to me like electoral politics is not an effective means of pushing progressive goals, then. Perhaps people should be focusing their energy on direct action, organizing unions, preparing for a general strike, etc.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The powers that be have had more than six years to get this settled, this was not unforeseeable

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

I've always been curious about this, to be honest. Manchin being an untouchable obstructionist because he's a conservative from West Virginia and all you'd ever get instead of him if you booted him out would be a Republican is a known fact. So if you magically conjured 10-12 more democratic senators from other conservative or battleground states, they too would necessarily be largely untouchable because all you'd ever get instead of them if you booted them out would be Republicans. It would be trivially easy for them to form an obstructionist bloc or even participate in a rotating villains scheme and whoops the Blue Dogs are back from the dead and ready to party, baby.

I'm not sure how "VOTE HARDER!!!" is supposed to get around this.
There's a big difference between West Virginia red and Georgia red. There are places that can more plausibly support actual Democratic senators. In fact there are few places as hostile to actual Democratic senators than West Virginia.

But more to the point, "vote harder" is a necessary mentality in any case. We can't know the future, but we can remember how we got here.

2016 was one of the most grim elections imaginable. It was the most demoralizing displays the Democrats could possibly present. There was basically no positive reason to vote for Clinton. This is primarily the fault of Clinton and the Democratic establishment, true, but that was the situation voters had to deal with.

If people who cared about things not being poo poo just voted harder in 2016, despite the absolutely miserable showing of the Democratic establishment, Roe v Wade would still exist.

As it stands, the Democratic establishment was punished for their incompetence. And so, the theory goes, they should at least learn their lesson right?

Nope. We have Biden and Roe v Wade was still repealed.

Voting harder could easily have prevented some truly catastrophic political developments, while punishing the Dems has proven disastrously ineffective. That's just how things played out.

Would a Return of the Blue Dogs be good? It doesn't sound good to me. Possibly a dozen Manchins would be just as bad as one. But it honestly sounds better than a dozen absolutely lockstep intransigent Republican ghouls, which is in fact the only alternative.

Voting isn't enough. "Just vote" is bullshit. I have no idea what more there is to be done, but I'm entirely behind whatever people want to try.

Except for "maybe don't vote, to punish the Dems". That is the absolutely most dumb shortsighted self-indulgent bullshit.

Our political system is garbage that will only get worse with disengagement. Are primaries a demoralizing unfair slog? Yes. They are. But keep doing it anyway. We can't predict the future. The only tactic guaranteed to fail is giving the Republicans more power.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is the scenario where multi-millionaires Samuel Alito, ACB, Clarence Thomas, and Kavanaugh are so impacted by a liberal protest that they wait for a new abortion case to make its way up through the courts, very publicly show that they were cowed, and write a legal opinion saying the one they just wrote last year was entirely wrong?

They would not be cowed by liberal protests in this hypothetical, Leon. They would be cowed by their friends, allies, and benefactors who would not want to pay the price necessary to overturn Roe and demanded they change their minds, because they themselves would consider the price of resisting their friends as being too high

I'll say again, though, that you're just trying to nitpick a hypothetical example so you don't have to engage with the broader point. If a general strike specifically is not enough, you can either escalate the price you demand of your enemies or you can surrender. That isn't being constrained by natural law, it's making a calculation and every actor within the system does it

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

If this happens, nothing gets passed regardless. And a bad poo poo Dem gets removed from the party, and can be replaced. Seems like win-win.

This assumes the Party leadership agrees that they are "bad". Pelosi is supporting an anti-choice candidate against a pro-choice candidate in TX right now, as I type this. Schumer and Pelosi have to go before any of this becomes feasible IMO

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Majorian posted:

That excuse becomes less and less persuasive every time it's uttered. Manchin knows he wouldn't survive a WV Republican primary cycle. Plus he'd rather be the decisive vote in the Senate than a complete non-factor, which is what he would be if he were a Republican in a GOP-held Senate.

If Manchin switched to Democrats he would probably win the primary on the "gently caress you" factor alone. Unlike Democrats, Republicans understand and utilize hate towards the political opposition, quite effectively.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Young Freud posted:

Madison Cawthorn can talk about seeing congressional Republicans having coke orgies and a week later had photos of him crossdressing and being inappropriate with a staffer. And yet the Dems can't do anything for Manchin or Sinema in protecting their constituents?!

Madison Cawthorn will be replaced with a comparably chuddy idiot if he loses his place.

Manchin is replaced with a party switch who votes agianst them 100% of the time instead of just a lot of the time and actively shifts the seat right.

There is no downside undercutting MC but there is of undercutting Manchin. I agree it's worth it in this case but if you're going to argue the realpolitik of consequences with Manchin then you need to deal with all the consequences.

Majorian posted:

That excuse becomes less and less persuasive every time it's uttered. Manchin knows he wouldn't survive a WV Republican primary cycle. Plus he'd rather be the decisive vote in the Senate than a complete non-factor, which is what he would be if he were a Republican in a GOP-held Senate.

Doesn't have to be convincing, it's reality.

Manchin wants to hold on to power, so he has to do the thing where he is mostly aligned with republicans but votes with dems some of the time. If they remove his committeees, he loses next election. If he switches parties, he loses next election. Any time he loses an election dems lose his vote permanently instead of just most of the time. Dems would rather count on his vote a few areas than be unable to count on his vote in any area.

It's stupid and Manchin and the dems are trash but that's the extremely stupid reality.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 3, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Edit wrong thread

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

They would not be cowed by liberal protests in this hypothetical, Leon. They would be cowed by their friends, allies, and benefactors who would not want to pay the price necessary to overturn Roe and demanded they change their minds, because they themselves would consider the price of resisting their friends as being too high

I'll say again, though, that you're just trying to nitpick a hypothetical example so you don't have to engage with the broader point. If a general strike specifically is not enough, you can either escalate the price you demand of your enemies or you can surrender. That isn't being constrained by natural law, it's making a calculation and every actor within the system does it

Why do you think they would do that? They don't receive their money from any outside source, they have a lifetime appointment, and they are already wealthy. Maybe they are just really empathetic to their friends. But, it seems like people who are extremely proud and ideologues would love for a backlash that doesn't impact them because they can show how they are resisting the mob and doing the right thing.

Getting mad that people are pointing out your plan won't work doesn't seem like a productive way to create a plan that does work.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Reminder that today's the beginning of primary season for the midterm elections.

I don't know of any exciting Indiana races to watch, but in Ohio it'll be interesting to see who the GOP picks to run against Ryan for the U.S. Senate and who Dems pick in Turner vs. Brown for the House.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Harold Fjord posted:

Getting this kind of majority is effectively impossible, as has been pointed out many times already.

It is more possible than getting Manchin to nuke the filibuster.

If this is a country where the Democrats can't get a majority without Manchin, then losing abortion rights is the least of our worries.

People should also realize that in a hot civil war, the right will win with ease.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TyrantWD posted:

People should also realize that in a hot civil war, the right will win with ease.

Oh cool we're already doing hypothetical hot civil wars?

Only took a day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

TyrantWD posted:

Okay this part I disagree: The Right is largely a minority, 30% at best, and while they have a lot of people in power, they are not a single power block.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

**things get worse** --> "Why didn't the democrats prevent this" --> don't vote for democrats

Is a cycle I find tiresome and self-fulfilling. I find that holding ground, even if setbacks occur, is just as important if not more so currently than moving forward. taking action that intentionally loses ground makes little sense to me.

Yes, the Democrats have made many errors and are losing the support of their voting base because of it. they should stop doing that. not voting for the ones that aren't that way seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
I don't find the Vote for Democrats > Things Get Worse > VOTE HARDER!!! cycle to be effective or meaningful either.

Why are you conflating Democratic victory with progress when recent history shows that to be untrue? Is it because you identify with the Party? That's fine, just understand that not all progressives identify as Democrats.

Anyway. If they never ever suffer any consequences for failing, why would they change? This is just not that complicated. If you pledge your undying support to a Party that doesn't serve you, it just helps preserve the status quo of an organization that only exists to give jobs to failnephews.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

lol at this thread full of posters who spent all of 2020 loudly insisting they would never vote for joe biden, now getting mad at joe biden for not doing something they didn't even believe he'd do in the first place

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't find the Vote for Democrats > Things Get Worse > VOTE HARDER!!! cycle to be effective or meaningful either.

Why are you conflating Democratic victory with progress when recent history shows that to be untrue? Is it because you identify with the Party? That's fine, just understand that not all progressives identify as Democrats.

Anyway. If they never ever suffer any consequences for failing, why would they change? This is just not that complicated. If you pledge your undying support to a Party that doesn't serve you, it just helps preserve the status quo of an organization that only exists to give jobs to failnephews.

They never ever suffer any consequences for failing? 2010 was a consequence of failing. 2016 was a consequence of failing. The problem is, those consequences of the democratic party failing are felt by a whole lot more people than elected democrats.

I'm all for suggestions of activism/organizing/direct action that exist outside of electoralism to try and make things better. But let's be clear; "If the people just stop showing up for democrats, that will be impetus they need to suddenly turn things around" seems to be disproven two or more times every decade, to pretty disastrous consequences.

LegendaryFrog fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 3, 2022

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Of course a general strike would impact the SCOTUS, one successfully being organized and having their demands met would strike against two of the biggest historical mandates - the elevation of corporations over labor, and the shielding of the carceral state and coercive apparatuses of the government from restriction or accountability

Eiba posted:

There's a big difference between West Virginia red and Georgia red. There are places that can more plausibly support actual Democratic senators. In fact there are few places as hostile to actual Democratic senators than West Virginia.

But more to the point, "vote harder" is a necessary mentality in any case. We can't know the future, but we can remember how we got here.

2016 was one of the most grim elections imaginable. It was the most demoralizing displays the Democrats could possibly present. There was basically no positive reason to vote for Clinton. This is primarily the fault of Clinton and the Democratic establishment, true, but that was the situation voters had to deal with.

If people who cared about things not being poo poo just voted harder in 2016, despite the absolutely miserable showing of the Democratic establishment, Roe v Wade would still exist.

As it stands, the Democratic establishment was punished for their incompetence. And so, the theory goes, they should at least learn their lesson right?

Nope. We have Biden and Roe v Wade was still repealed.

Voting harder could easily have prevented some truly catastrophic political developments, while punishing the Dems has proven disastrously ineffective. That's just how things played out.

Would a Return of the Blue Dogs be good? It doesn't sound good to me. Possibly a dozen Manchins would be just as bad as one. But it honestly sounds better than a dozen absolutely lockstep intransigent Republican ghouls, which is in fact the only alternative.

Voting isn't enough. "Just vote" is bullshit. I have no idea what more there is to be done, but I'm entirely behind whatever people want to try.

Except for "maybe don't vote, to punish the Dems". That is the absolutely most dumb shortsighted self-indulgent bullshit.

Our political system is garbage that will only get worse with disengagement. Are primaries a demoralizing unfair slog? Yes. They are. But keep doing it anyway. We can't predict the future. The only tactic guaranteed to fail is giving the Republicans more power.

She got more votes by far. The kind of votes that people like us can cast don't actually have any bearing on who becomes President.

Who failed her and the party or whatever here anyway? Progressives are by far the most loyal dissenting bloc in this country, it's why they're so irrelevant. If Libertarians or ancaps held their nose for the GOP as reliably as progressives do for Dems Trump would be 2 years into his 2nd term.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charliegrs posted:

Honest question: If a near future republican president has the same makeup of the house/senate as Biden does just flipped R/D then wouldn't they just kill the filibuster without any hesitation?

Short answer probably not.

I very strongly suspect that the filibuster's continued existence 2017-2019 was because McConnell straight up didn't have the votes to kill it. Its survival in the current congress is tenuous because, broadly speaking, Democratic senators want the government to do things. The Republican party has a LOT more politicians who see keeping the government from doing anything as an end, not a means, and the filibuster is an extremely powerful tool for any random rear end blood-gargling goblinoid senator to say "no actually we're not subsidizing solar panels on cat rescue shelters, gently caress you".

I don't think it's possible for the GOP to get the votes to kill the legislative filibuster anytime soon.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

lol at this thread full of posters who spent all of 2020 loudly insisting they would never vote for joe biden, now getting mad at joe biden for not doing something they didn't even believe he'd do in the first place

Dang who would have expected people who didn't like Joe Biden being mad at Joe Biden for exactly the reasons they didn't like him.

Hoisted on their own petards, you see.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Dang who would have expected people who didn't like Joe Biden being mad at Joe Biden for exactly the reasons they didn't like him.

Hoisted on their own petards, you see.

i don't see the logic in getting mad at a guy for breaking* a promise you didn't even believe he'd fulfill in the first place

*joe biden is not the one responsible for inaction on federal abortion protections

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Short answer probably not.

I very strongly suspect that the filibuster's continued existence 2017-2019 was because McConnell straight up didn't have the votes to kill it. Its survival in the current congress is tenuous because, broadly speaking, Democratic senators want the government to do things. The Republican party has a LOT more politicians who see keeping the government from doing anything as an end, not a means, and the filibuster is an extremely powerful tool for any random rear end blood-gargling goblinoid senator to say "no actually we're not subsidizing solar panels on cat rescue shelters, gently caress you".

I don't think it's possible for the GOP to get the votes to kill the legislative filibuster anytime soon.
Disagree here, McConnell gutted the filibuster to pass tax cuts, and Democrats had already nuked the filibuster for judicial appointment. That's all they care about. The entire Republican platform is to weaken federal government and cement their grip on the judiciary. The filibuster now exists entirely as a tool to keep Democrats from doing anything.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

JT Jag posted:

Disagree here, McConnell gutted the filibuster to pass tax cuts,

this is flatly not true, the tax cut was passed through reconciliation

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

this is flatly not true, the tax cut was passed through reconciliation
Via changing the rules of reconciliation over the Senate Parliamentarian, something Dems don't want to do

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JT Jag posted:

Disagree here, McConnell gutted the filibuster to pass tax cuts,

No, he didn't.

They had to reduce the Trump tax cuts from $7.1 trillion to $2.4 trillion because they refused to kill the filibuster and had to do it via reconciliation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JT Jag posted:

Disagree here, McConnell gutted the filibuster to pass tax cuts, and Democrats had already nuked the filibuster for judicial appointment. That's all they care about. The entire Republican platform is to weaken federal government and cement their grip on the judiciary. The filibuster now exists entirely as a tool to keep Democrats from doing anything.

Also once the Republicans win the House and Senate this year, the filibuster will be gone day one because neither chamber will ever fall into the hands of the Democrats ever again, so there is no further need for “the weapon of the minority”.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

i don't see the logic in getting mad at a guy for breaking* a promise you didn't even believe he'd fulfill in the first place

*joe biden is not the one responsible for inaction on federal abortion protections

You don't see the logic for being mad at a guy for being a conservative liar, when it's shown he's a conservative liar?

That seems incredibly logical.

Are you sure you picked the right tact to try and complain about vague unnamed "thread posters" here?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

JT Jag posted:

Via changing the rules of reconciliation over the Senate Parliamentarian, something Dems don't want to do

They didn't change the rules for the Trump tax cuts. You might be thinking of when they replaced the parliamentarian early in the Bush administration.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

we said he would not fulfill the promise, and as a result a large number of people would suffer.

he has not fulfilled the promise, and as a result a large number of people will suffer.

smugly saying "called it" would not only be in poor taste, it would be even less productive than the anger.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They didn't change the rules for the Trump tax cuts. You might be thinking of when they replaced the parliamentarian early in the Bush administration.
Yes, that is what I was referring to

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

You don't see the logic for being mad at a guy for being a conservative liar, when it's shown he's a conservative liar?

That seems incredibly logical.

Are you sure you picked the right tact to try and complain about vague unnamed "thread posters" here?

if i promise something but somebody else holds it up, most people would not consider that promise "broken." if i promise to meet you for dinner, but my car breaks down on the way and i can't make it, i didn't break my promise

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

goethe.cx posted:

if i promise something but somebody else holds it up, most people would not consider that promise "broken." if i promise to meet you for dinner, but my car breaks down on the way and i can't make it, i didn't break my promise

Oh we're dying on this hill huh

Biden didn't even try, despite saying it was a top legislative priority. Nor did Obama, as others have shown in this thread.

Stop tone policing people who are justifiably upset.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

Oh we're dying on this hill huh

Biden didn't even try, despite saying it was a top legislative priority. Nor did Obama, as others have shown in this thread.

Stop tone policing people who are justifiably upset.

what does "try" mean in this context. hold joe manchin at gunpoint?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of you change your title please

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005
Doesn't everything here just boil down to nobody agreeing on what counts as "trying".

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

goethe.cx posted:

The thing that blows my mind on all of this is hearing that this thread is apparently a hotbed of cheerleading for the Democratic Party.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think this is probably true but mostly because it's a factor in the Senate, which at least becomes bloodgargling maniacs less quickly than the House. It is also somewhat harder to gerrymander a state. What would be interesting at some point is if they start talking about reorganizing state borders... but I'm not even sure what the process for that would be, leaving aside trivial things like "a surveying error in 1827 means that technically these fifty yards of land rest in both State X and State Y, so we're rectifying that officially by act of both legislatures."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

what does "try" mean in this context. hold joe manchin at gunpoint?

Step 1 would be "literally anything, even one single thing. Do anything except absolutely nothing at all." If Biden tries that, we can go from there