Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shugojin posted:

relatable content

I think the game design term is "abnegation". Just enough of a focus to occupy the mind and disconnect from other worries, while not requiring engagement effort on its own in the way that puzzle or difficult bosses do. This is where the repetitive grind of stuff like Minecraft lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Murdstone posted:

F Minus

I had a roommate who would only use paper plates so that he wouldn't have to clean. Personally, I found it kind of childish and dumb.
Every Reddit food sub is like dozens of pictures of incredible-looking food that clearly took a good amount of effort to make, served on a paper plate. I don't get it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

accept the groke

embrace the groke

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Did You Know That The SNL Digital Short/The Lonely Island Skit "The Shooting" Where People Keep Shooting Each Other Set To Imogen Heap Is Fifteen Years Old As Of A Few Weeks Ago? Anyway.

Planet Hot So What

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Murdstone posted:

I don't really, but it might make sense to put the one-panels together, maybe at the end.

I do mine in general alphabetical order, ending with the one-panel Andertoons and a classic A3-G, both of which are in B & W, but I don't know if I ever put any particular thought into that.

Also I was just thinking Computoon has been on a roll lately even though I don't comment on it.

its been good

i'll mess around with the order, i dont know if i'll sequester holbrook in his own post bc i WILL forget to make the second post of the day, but i might put him at the very end

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

I think the game design term is "abnegation". Just enough of a focus to occupy the mind and disconnect from other worries, while not requiring engagement effort on its own in the way that puzzle or difficult bosses do. This is where the repetitive grind of stuff like Minecraft lives.

I think there's also an element where video games offer A) a sense of control, B) reliable positive feedback for a job well done (which is not even necessarily the case with real jobs that give you money.)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

End of the Sunday Comics

Fun fact: I've spent this entire time gradually catching up to the actual posting schedule of this feature(which was only 4 days a week), but accidentally caught up to it right when it ended. It has apparently been rerun once already, and it may or may not do it again, but frankly I'm glad to have one fewer comic to post. (even if I enjoyed everything Origins threw at us). Goodnight, sweet prince.

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (July 31, 1934)

Peanuts (May 6, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 2, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 26-28, 1938; timg'd for the usuals)

For your continued education; the legend of the free lunch.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

When this guy showed up I thought he was doing a fake French accent because he thought it was funny, like treating customers like fake royalty or something, I dunno. But for whatever reason this strip made me remember that Foob is set in Canada, and the dude probably is supposed to have an actual French accent.

Zereth posted:

Failing to explain why your victim should here, True.

I mean, he did explain. The reason is "Because I will beat the poo poo out of you if you don't." Which makes me think that it's really lucky that every dude Everett faces just happens to be unable to outfight a morbidly obese old man, imagine if Everett actually faced a dude who worked out or even did some boxing for a hobby.

riderchop posted:

i'll mess around with the order, i dont know if i'll sequester holbrook in his own post bc i WILL forget to make the second post of the day, but i might put him at the very end

I think putting Holbrook at the end of the bunch is the best compromise. You don't have to worry about making a separate second post, and people can read through everything they want and as soon as they see Holbrook know they can check out without fear of missing anything.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I hate this at least as much as any of the nerd stuff in Intelligent Life

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "192 - Jucika Makes Better Use Of The Working Hours"

"193 - Jucika's Present"

quote:

Mark Trail

Hey hey hey Jules, more of this, please! Amazing how much better the flow works when the dialogue carries all the weight and that narration box is ditched. Even the art is decent and the word bubbles aren't gratuitously enlarged so that there's less to drew!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

I mean, he did explain. The reason is "Because I will beat the poo poo out of you if you don't." Which makes me think that it's really lucky that every dude Everett faces just happens to be unable to outfight a morbidly obese old man, imagine if Everett actually faced a dude who worked out or even did some boxing for a hobby.

She's not a dude but his wife seems to keep fit

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

"193 - Jucika's Present"

https://youtu.be/AHj32IQmAd8

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Doomykins posted:

Hey hey hey Jules, more of this, please! Amazing how much better the flow works when the dialogue carries all the weight and that narration box is ditched. Even the art is decent and the word bubbles aren't gratuitously enlarged so that there's less to drew!

I wonder how much willpower it took for her to not phrase it as "It's dangerous to go alone" in the third panel though.

Maxwell Lord posted:

She's not a dude but his wife seems to keep fit

Yeah seeing his wife get one over on him is always great. I know it's because of sexist poo poo about Everett being henpecked and whatnot but she's still the only one to consistently give him a taste of what he deserves, so even if the attitude was "This'll make my readers really dislike her" I think it makes her the best character in the comic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah seeing his wife get one over on him is always great. I know it's because of sexist poo poo about Everett being henpecked and whatnot but she's still the only one to consistently give him a taste of what he deserves, so even if the attitude was "This'll make my readers really dislike her" I think it makes her the best character in the comic.

I don't think Condo wants anyone to dislike Mrs True. It's just funny to see a character get a taste of his own medicine once in a while and it lets him mine domestic life for material.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I think Batiuk wishes he got this sort of recognition and engagement in public, but making cancer-related puns and references in public like this would be really awkward.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I wonder how much willpower it took for her to not phrase it as "It's dangerous to go alone" in the third panel though.
How likely is "willpower" over "got the quote wrong" though.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

End of the Sunday Comics

Fun fact: I've spent this entire time gradually catching up to the actual posting schedule of this feature(which was only 4 days a week), but accidentally caught up to it right when it ended. It has apparently been rerun once already, and it may or may not do it again, but frankly I'm glad to have one fewer comic to post. (even if I enjoyed everything Origins threw at us). Goodnight, sweet prince.
It was an interesting journey through comics history, thanks for posting them!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

Monya the Grey

QRais really knows how to make that isntant switch to dreary, huh

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

ah, wait, wasnt this meant to pick up right after he went to chase his son which was post divorce

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "192 - Jucika Makes Better Use Of The Working Hours"

I feel the Jucika changing the title makes it into a pun that escapes my understanding?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Samovar posted:

I feel the Jucika changing the title makes it into a pun that escapes my understanding?

Jucika adds "Makes Better Use" to the title for the joke, give or take a few extra words. I guess it'd be "Jucika's Working Hours" originally.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

PI55

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

rannum posted:

QRais really knows how to make that isntant switch to dreary, huh
Hold on to your hat.
Monya the Grey

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

I like these early Modesties Blaise a lot better than the late ones.

The quality didn't drop that badly, but I feel like a 90s one would have spent six pages chatting about throat mics and the blind guy's "vibes" where this one just gets on with the story.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think Batiuk wishes he got this sort of recognition and engagement in public, but making cancer-related puns and references in public like this would be really awkward.

“Tom, I thought I’d let you know that we all want you to die of cancer.”

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy LOL Brave Sir Robin up in this battle with Val! Guess he really was brave, once!

Alhazred posted:

L-Innsikt

Getting a memory: whiff of my 14-YO doused in Axe.
I find this artwork odd but very appealing. Thanks for posting it!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Gatto Grigio posted:

“Tom, I thought I’d let you know that we all want you to die of cancer.”

Followed by:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

riderchop posted:

hey weird question here but do you have any feedback for me on the order these comics are listed in? i started putting foob second-to-last so A+J could counteract it more effectively, but i'm open to most things being in a different order.

personally i think the Rae the Doe placement is a bit weird and the Overboard to Compu-Toon stretch seems a bit messy but i don't know if anyone even thinks about this or gives a poo poo

I don't have any input but I once asked someone to post in a different order and they were really cool about it. I don't even remember who or what but I appreciated it.

edit: I don't see why this robot chef with the mysterious background could ever be anything than what it seems

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 4, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Close to Home

Don't doxx me!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! May 19, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True June 30, 1919

Cat Tales April 17, 1925

Oaky Doaks October 16, 1936

Mopsy December 24, 1937

Up Front April 5, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems July 7, 1952

Those Were the Days May 12, 1960

Wee Pals July 8, 1966

Dogbert April 3, 1967

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 5-7, 1921)

Toonerville Folks (February 27-March 1, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Onboard Brawl (February 8, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 9-12, 1936)

And Some Guy TT was right. Banker and the Butler is an interesting contrast even when the strip's not at war with Lefty's gang.

Blondie (From Zero) (January 7-9, 1932)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BigglesSWE posted:

Ballard Street

Ballard Street is always great but this one slayed me. Just look at Bud's expression back there.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They're all allergic to conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft