Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pretty sure once she's in full cadin'sor and subsequently, wise one garb the critics will look quite foolish.

https://twitter.com/SIUANRAlNE/status/1519752376479006721?s=20&t=JdwZtmMPuONvsJkn4PqlAw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

God the xray stuff is so dumb since it's Canon for the show and not just worldbuilding fyi. Maybe the show would have been better if this wasn't a pilot for that feature.

WoT isn't a pilot for x-ray, it's been out for something like 7+years now.

E: I know time is fake now but it's been a long time lol.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 29, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

Pretty sure once she's in full cadin'sor and subsequently, wise one garb the critics will look quite foolish.

https://twitter.com/SIUANRAlNE/status/1519752376479006721?s=20&t=JdwZtmMPuONvsJkn4PqlAw

i sure hope she can act, because she sure as gently caress looks the part

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
She was in Killing Eve and I remember her being pretty decent. Those pictures are making me excited to see her in action.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

God the xray stuff is so dumb since it's Canon for the show and not just worldbuilding fyi. Maybe the show would have been better if this wasn't a pilot for that feature.

X-ray on amazon has been a thing long before WoTshow aired.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Some good fan art coming out with our favorite spear maiden

https://twitter.com/Womandragoran/status/1519904509102682112?s=20&t=2zNLxaj2j4L9c0Qs6AaQfg

Also check out this Aludra cosplay from Jordan Con

https://twitter.com/TReese381/status/1519834953432899584?s=20&t=2zNLxaj2j4L9c0Qs6AaQfg

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Friday filming status is.. literally in the middle of nowhere (western sahara)

with camera drones

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shageletic posted:

The criticism doesn't seem to line up with the actual material. Aiel are badass, secretly heavily developed, and consistently trump everyone else in Randland. They're not barbaric. They're almost akin to Wakanda in the MCU without their weaponry being out of touch technologically with the weapons of the era.

It doesn't matter if the Aiel are actually awesome, it's how they're coded in-world. You have people being treated as "savages" and being called that, mirroring the mistreatment of people of color in the real world. RJ tried to subvert that, but that runs in to prolems of appropriation and "actually they're a cool desert culture but also they're still white people" where it feels like he wrote a part for people of color and then found a way to specifically not make them people of color. I realize that RJ wasn't doing that, his descriptions if anything place most of Randland as people of color and the desert people as the odd one out, but somehow it ends up with a white as hell protagonist which isn't a subversion of any fantasy trope.

There's no one simple answer here, racism makes everything more complex.

Colorism comes up in that the casting of the show makes a disproportionate number of 1st season villains be also the darkest skin people in the cast, and real society(not Randland society) has a history of casting villains as dark skinned and heroes as light skinned, even when all the parts are black.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Alvaro Morte is so cool

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Barreft posted:

Alvaro Morte is so cool

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barreft posted:

Alvaro Morte is so cool

He was really cool.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

No time for love, Doctor Cauthon!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

No time for love, Doctor Cauthon!

lol Sweet..

Sad part is his Memory of Light cover before he died is way better the dumb Rand with a tiny Callandor.

e:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Man i wish i got to have 3 smokin' hot wives

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

How are u posted:

Man i wish i got to have 3 smokin' hot wives

Literally anything is better than what we got:

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Barreft posted:

lol Sweet..

Sad part is his Memory of Light cover before he died is way better the dumb Rand with a tiny Callandor.

e:

That's sick

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

There's a theoryland deep dive on the concept and process of that cover art that's pretty interesting

https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=766

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Min's hair is too long no buy

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Barreft posted:

Literally anything is better than what we got:

I actually think it's one of the better ones. The original one that was posted here is a cooler effort, but not as saleable I guess.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I actually think it's one of the better ones. The original one that was posted here is a cooler effort, but not as saleable I guess.

It also makes even less sense than this one.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Reddit sure is angry that non white people exist in the wheel of time

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

RC Cola posted:

Reddit sure is angry that non white people exist

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Hate to tell you guys that's just fantasy fandom, not just reddit.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I've never seen that cover of aMoL before. It's pretty sweet and probably better than all the previous DKS ones.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dysgenesis posted:

I've never seen that cover of aMoL before. It's pretty sweet and probably better than all the previous DKS ones.

It's legitimately the best thing he ever did for the series, which is all the more remarkable considering how much worse he got with time.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Hate to tell you guys that's just fantasy fandom, not just reddit.

A dumbass, overly loud, and overly large minority, yes.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I found the succession plotline boring as hell but this graphic is pretty interesting :engleft:

https://twitter.com/wheeloftimewiki/status/1521120875138981890?s=21&t=3Aw-AZWQv-ZHgVqodBjjYw

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They filmed something at the sandy beach waygate today

Too bad we can't tell what it is :ohdear:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ayoola Smart posted an IG story from the airport suggesting she is done with filming. There's a sun and camel emoji, then a wrap and plane, then a home.

The posts from the drone unit for the last week were really barren, desolate, empty wasteland scenes. I'll bet the season ends with Aviendha leading Rand, Moiraine/Lan, and Eggy to the Aiel Waste. S3 will be TDR and TSR.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

JavaJesus posted:

The more I think about this, the more I think I like it. In the books we had three or four distinct fast travel options: Waygates, Portal Stones, Skimming, and Traveling (I think the two weaves were completely different from each other, but I can understand grouping them together enough to count as one method). I think it'd be good to trim that down to one fast travel between set points and one fast travel between arbitrary points. I can easily see show Waygates having some hidden function that effectively works like the Portal Stones do, either discovered accidentally like in the books or possibly as a tie-in to Machin Shin focusing on Rand, forcing discovery of "Not Quite The Ways". Then with Skimming/Traveling it just needs a throwaway line about Traveling being "Skimming But Faster" to let the show definitively tie them together as one fast travel with varying efficiency instead of two separate methods that are similar but separate.

Skimming and traveling were the same weave, but traveling required familiarity with your current location and your destination. There were several times where characters would have to stay in the same place for a while before they could open a direct gate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Skimming and traveling were the same weave, but traveling required familiarity with your current location and your destination. There were several times where characters would have to stay in the same place for a while before they could open a direct gate.

This is literally the opposite of what is in the text. In fact people who weren't strong enough to travel could still often time skim.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Lucid Nonsense posted:

Skimming and traveling are different weaves.

Traveling, though, does work at really close ranges even without spending time to get familiar with the location, so some folks start traveling short distances to learn the location so they can immediately travel far away.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Looks like S2 is officially done filming after 156 days.

Lets hope for some juicy post-production leaks :getin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdHJaQ2qMGO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Skimming and traveling are different weaves.

Traveling, though, does work at really close ranges even without spending time to get familiar with the location, so some folks start traveling short distances to learn the location so they can immediately travel far away.

One thing I wish they'd do is make Traveling different for saidar and saidin. Narratively they are, but mechanically...

Have it so men instantly learn the origin, while women learn the destination when they cast the weave. That way if you want to Travel fast to an unknown destination you need men AND women working together. Maybe as part of a circle, but at the very least alternating because otherwise they have to spend time learning the ground

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Was it Jordan or Sanderson who put in that real dumb "but you know the spot you traveled to a priori like for some reason"

I realize there needs to be a leash but it seems to be a plot point introduced, and regretted.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Was it Jordan or Sanderson who put in that real dumb "but you know the spot you traveled to a priori like for some reason"

I realize there needs to be a leash but it seems to be a plot point introduced, and regretted.

Jordan

"Skimming requires knowledge of destination and Traveling requires knowledge of origin [TFOH: 6, Gateways, 121]. For example, Aviendha Travels to Seanchan which she obviously doesn't know a thing about, but she knew the bathroom real well."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Barreft posted:

Jordan

"Skimming requires knowledge of destination and Traveling requires knowledge of origin [TFOH: 6, Gateways, 121]. For example, Aviendha Travels to Seanchan which she obviously doesn't know a thing about, but she knew the bathroom real well."

no, they're asking about the whole "if you travel to a spot, suddenly you can travel from that spot super easy no problem don't have to learn it"

I don't remember when that popped up.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

silvergoose posted:

no, they're asking about the whole "if you travel to a spot, suddenly you can travel from that spot super easy no problem don't have to learn it"

Ohhh my bad, yeah dunno about that.

e: one quick google showed this:
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Traveling#Limitations.2C_Variations_and_Exceptions

quote:

Limitations, Variations and Exceptions
The chief limitation other than strength is that a channeler needs to know their starting location well to be able to open a Gateway from that location (this is the reverse of Skimming).[3] It is for this reason that Verin Mathwin is stranded for a few days in Trustair until she could learn the location well enough to Travel.

It is also possible to disable the ability for anyone to open a Gateway to or from a defined area. There may be more than one way to do so, but one we see in the books is through the use of a Dreamspike.

Which would make it a Sanderson thing

Barreft fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

silvergoose posted:

Isn't it the amazing portal boy who invents that?