Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You could always use more laughter in your life, and Oujo-Sama laughing is by definition the best laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
this ones my fave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saXH7CG1Ehc

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s a Slayers special that is at least 90% Naga laughing.

Incidentally, was Naga the first character to do that particular laugh or was that a common trope in anime before then (I’ve most commonly heard it described as the “Naga Laugh” after all)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Colonel posted:

it's, an homage and partial adaptation of a bunch of actual real mecha anime, that are in the game, as the characters, that you are using

Ive never played a SRW game or watched a mecha anime so its all new to me!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G2BeiKz1_0

O~hohoho!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

it sounds like doctor steven strange oughta magic himself up a big cup of coffee

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Larryb posted:

There’s a Slayers special that is at least 90% Naga laughing.

Incidentally, was Naga the first character to do that particular laugh or was that a common trope in anime before then (I’ve most commonly heard it described as the “Naga Laugh” after all)

it's the ojou sama laugh. it's a characteristic of the ojou-sama stereotype, which are a cartoon stereotype of high-class women with wealth, influence and power, arrogantly looking down on others. naga is a character playing on that stereotype. no idea where the origination of the laugh comes from actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, despite mainly appearing in comedy related specials/novels Naga actually has a surprisingly dark backstory:

https://kanzaka.fandom.com/wiki/Naga_the_Serpent

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 3, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Furnaceface posted:

Im playing Super Robot Wars 30.

No loving clue what is going on story wise (I think its just a massive homage to mecha in general?) but its goofy and fun and I will enjoy it.

GRRRIDMAAAAAN

BABY DON DON
BABY DON DON

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the oujosama laugh is definitely in some 80s anime, dunno how much earlier than that its from. wouldnt be surprised if it predates anime entirely and is from theater or something

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Tales of Woe posted:

the oujosama laugh is definitely in some 80s anime, dunno how much earlier than that its from. wouldnt be surprised if it predates anime entirely and is from theater or something

Rose of Versailles in 1972

e: Supposedly from Kabuki theatre but IDK anything about that.

Kild fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 4, 2022

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ojousamas just laugh that way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

GRRRIDMAAAAAN

BABY DON DON
BABY DON DON

Gridman was the first mission from an anime I had watched (The Gundam characters are post-CCA which I haven't seen yet) and I clapped, I clapped when UNION came on.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Gridman was the first mission from an anime I had watched (The Gundam characters are post-CCA which I haven't seen yet) and I clapped, I clapped when UNION came on.

I clap anytime Samurai-Calibur is on screen

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Technically Gridman was a live action series first (it’s the one Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad was adapted from), but yes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I know that, but the depiction in the game is explicitly the anime and you know that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I know that, but the depiction in the game is explicitly the anime and you know that.

Actually I don’t follow the SRW series so no I didn’t actually, nevermind then

Have they put Dynazenon in as well by now out of curiosity?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they havent made the next one after srw30 yet

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The ojousama laugh was in project a-ko, I think

I dont know for sure but I should go back and watch that too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I also clapped when they busted out the 480p FMV of stock footage from the anime for J-Decker, too bad he'll be a perpetual bench warmer because you made a 10 year old a cop.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I also clapped when they busted out the 480p FMV of stock footage from the anime for J-Decker, too bad he'll be a perpetual bench warmer because you made a 10 year old a cop.

I had a good laugh at that footage. It was so out of place and purposefully front and center surrounded by that beautifully rendered background that I coudnt even be mad.

Im only on the 5th(?) mission, out in the ocean. Had to take a break to have a nap because Im old and get up at 4:30am to get ready for work. Im being stingy as all hell even though the game has multiple times told me to spend on upgrades as soon and as much as you can, you cant go wrong. I dont believe them.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Kild posted:

Rose of Versailles in 1972

e: Supposedly from Kabuki theatre but IDK anything about that.

yeah it's a female kabuki character laugh. kabuki actors usually put on a pretty shrill voice to sound female so when they force a laugh it comes out a lot like naga. and all the characters in those plays are nobility.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

I had a good laugh at that footage. It was so out of place and purposefully front and center surrounded by that beautifully rendered background that I coudnt even be mad.

Im only on the 5th(?) mission, out in the ocean. Had to take a break to have a nap because Im old and get up at 4:30am to get ready for work. Im being stingy as all hell even though the game has multiple times told me to spend on upgrades as soon and as much as you can, you cant go wrong. I dont believe them.

modern super robot wars games are not especially punishing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yes i absolutely want an aya hirano autographed baseball
https://twitter.com/hachinai89/status/1520606473289895936

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Boy, seeing Haruhi in a 2020s art style feels weird.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

homeless snail posted:

yes i absolutely want an aya hirano autographed baseball
https://twitter.com/hachinai89/status/1520606473289895936

Same

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I miss Haruhi as well. I’d suggest bringing that show back too but unlike Slayers there haven’t been any new novels to adapt in a while

Though there are still plenty of old books the previous seasons/movie never got around to however

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 4, 2022

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Just do a remake of endless eight except in 2022 CG style.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the later books are no good, kyoani was right to frame disappearance as the finale

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

the later books are no good, kyoani was right to frame disappearance as the finale

Disappearance felt more like the start of a new storyline rather than the end of one in my opinion but I’ll take your word for it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

homeless snail posted:

Correct. Let it stay buried.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I like them

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I thought they were fine. Genuinely would be interested in seeing the nega-SOS brigade animated.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Yeah and how they would've handled the whole split universe thing would've been cool to see

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mycophobia posted:

Yeah and how they would've handled the whole split universe thing would've been cool to see

That part felt like it was practically made for cool animation tricks to be used on it.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
A Kemono Friends fan-game got published to Steam, called Kemono Friends Cellien May Cry.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1962920/Kemono_Friends_Cellien_May_Cry/

I don't think I've seen a non-Touhou fan-game get a Steam release, even a free one.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Furnaceface posted:

You will absolutely be able to upgrade everyone as much as you want, and also throw a bunch of random upgrades on the low-tier mechs you don't care about

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

its not really manga but rather a western comic but im reading sam and twitch and am liking it. remembering when brian michael bendis could write something that wasn't dogshit...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Red Minjo posted:

A Kemono Friends fan-game got published to Steam, called Kemono Friends Cellien May Cry.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1962920/Kemono_Friends_Cellien_May_Cry/

I don't think I've seen a non-Touhou fan-game get a Steam release, even a free one.

depends on how you see Black Mesa, the remake of half-life with the source engine (which was used in half-life 2). It was not made by Valve, and was in face a free fan-made mod that was given the nod by Valve to become a commercial release.

From what I've seen of it, they rework a lot of later levels, so it can also be seen as a reimagining than a straight remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sb hermit posted:

depends on how you see Black Mesa, the remake of half-life with the source engine (which was used in half-life 2). It was not made by Valve, and was in face a free fan-made mod that was given the nod by Valve to become a commercial release.

From what I've seen of it, they rework a lot of later levels, so it can also be seen as a reimagining than a straight remake.

Black Mesa was given a sanction from Valve.

Hunt Down the Freeman, though...