Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

kurona_bright posted:

I use the steps here for getting my kindle books into epub: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/blob/master/FAQs.md

note that it does involve installing both Calibre and an outdated version of Kindle PC
Be aware that this project is no longer in active development.

A fork of the project has been created, where the work has been continued:
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

kurona_bright posted:

I use the steps here for getting my kindle books into epub: https://github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/blob/master/FAQs.md

note that it does involve installing both Calibre and an outdated version of Kindle PC

Can you install the outdated Kindle PC with the current version still there? I'm guessing I have to uninstall the current, right?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Uninstall the current. Can't have both on a single PC.

You'll also need to disable the automatic updates in the program after it's installed. Otherwise it just ends up being Sisyphian.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Are there any devices with better contrast/black level? I have kobo aura one I think, big 300dpi screen. But the text looks so dull and gray with poor contrast, even with the light on. Are there any readers which can do better? Thanks.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For christmas my family was gifted a Fire7Kids. But my baby is only only 1 year old, so he doesn't get a tablet until he can prove he can put the circle peg through the circle hole, them's the rules. It's just been sitting in it's packaging. I've used two amazon e-readers in my life and they're nice and I enjoy the experience but it has always been a pain in the rear end dragging my humble bundle bounties to it. I wanna root this and remove the ads and get a different reader program in there. I just got back into linux like 3 weeks ago and this seems like the only useful outlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8lnrnKNIWU

Does anyone have thoughts, experiences, or advice? Gonna skim thread.

edit: lmao oh this is not the thread. For this. Ok I do have a thread question, what e-reader software would be good for a grandma? Some suite of software for someone unfamiliar with technology accessible, but administered by me, a computer toucher, who's gonna cram that thing full of zoobook pdfs and can convert pdfs into another file type. What words do I search to look at different library activities curation of pdfs and books I guess.

edit edit:

riderchop posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-K2WjIS5k

lol they put out a video of how the Elipse is assembled

lol, i flinched when they dropped the device on the floor

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 21, 2022

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

KirbyKhan posted:

what e-reader software would be good for a grandma? Some suite of software for someone unfamiliar with technology accessible, but administered by me, a computer toucher, who's gonna cram that thing full of zoobook pdfs and can convert pdfs into another file type. What words do I search to look at different library activities curation of pdfs and books I guess.

ok check this out

https://www.amazon.com/sendtokindle/email

every kindle has this email thing built in, it's what i used to send pdf files to my mom in mexico before hers broke and she transitioned to an ipad

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ah yes, I remember now. I used to have rpg sourcebooks and textbooks that were more than 50mb. I suppose that problem wouldn't exist on the Kid Kindle. Thank.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 15 days!)

is there a way to eliminate all dead space when reading a pdf on a libra 2?

some of it is just the pages themselves having space, but there's a few CM gap at the top where the header would go except i've hidden headers and footers. since it's scaling down there is also dead space on the left and right margins. bottom is okay.

i don't see any options for this.

i just want the pdf page to take up all available space on the screen. zooming is no good, doesn't stay consistent so you'd need to readjust it for every page.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 25, 2022

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If anyone's been wanting the new Paperwhite, it's the Treasure Truck deal today for $105 (8GB with ads):
https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New firmware with a new ui for my oasis. Bit of a surprise to wake up to. Can't say I don't like it though.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

New firmware with a new ui for my oasis. Bit of a surprise to wake up to. Can't say I don't like it though.

Can you post a pic? It hasn't pushed to mine yet.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

did they overhaul it again or is this the update from last year? mine will never update itself so I wouldn't be surprised if someone is just now getting it

e: looks like there was a minor version bump in january

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The new slider on the right is nice.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

When viewing your library as a list instead of as book covers, the new UI allows for more room for book titles. It's nice.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I'm sick of my paperwhite screaming "I'M AN IDIOT WITH THE SHITTIEST TASTE POSSIBLE" every time I turn it on. Can kindle paperwhites be easily jailbroken so I can change the lockscreen without paying money?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

HolHorsejob posted:

I'm sick of my paperwhite screaming "I'M AN IDIOT WITH THE SHITTIEST TASTE POSSIBLE" every time I turn it on. Can kindle paperwhites be easily jailbroken so I can change the lockscreen without paying money?

Settings -> Device -> turn off Display Cover, or is this an issue with their ads?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

HolHorsejob posted:

If you want to get rid of the horrible ads, tell them an inappropriate ad came up, and it was embarrassing. They will remove it for free.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Overdrive/Libby is getting to be less useful for me as recent releases of manga I've been following are licensed for Media Do only which is a browser only reader. I want to read it on my Sage, goddammit. :argh:

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Overdrive/Libby is getting to be less useful for me as recent releases of manga I've been following are licensed for Media Do only which is a browser only reader. I want to read it on my Sage, goddammit. :argh:

How do you find reading manga on your e-reader? I had to read a bunch on my phone recently because I wanted to read the fan-colored/translated ones, but I have a few volumes our on Libby and haven't loved reading on my Oasis. It looks like the size is similar to your Sage and I know people do read manga on e-readers, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

How do you find reading manga on your e-reader? I had to read a bunch on my phone recently because I wanted to read the fan-colored/translated ones, but I have a few volumes our on Libby and haven't loved reading on my Oasis. It looks like the size is similar to your Sage and I know people do read manga on e-readers, I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

It's a comfortable read with the extra inch of screen over the current Oasis as well has having an accelerometer to easily go into landscape mode for 2 page spreads. Don't know if it still happens but for some reason the books I bought on Kindle when I had one tended to be smaller than the screen because it had dead space that forced it to be smaller. On the Kobo side, I haven't had that issue and the pages are presented how they should be. If it wasn't for the page turn button issue that Kobo has yet to fix, it'd be my preferred reader but I've been splitting my time with the iPad Mini 6th Gen.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like kindles are getting the ability to have epubs sent to them.

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/the-amazon-kindle-will-support-epub-in-late-2022

Dunno why they are stopping the mobi support though, that seems weird.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That’s wild and very strange. Mobi files will continue to work, why not just keep the ability?

Send to Kindle is a great little app.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 2016-ish Paperwhite 3 battery is now going down like 1% a minute. Looks like the newest PW is a decent upgrade. Any drawbacks I should be aware of? Can you still remove ads later? The ad-free version isn’t shipping for like a month in my area.

Also I’m gonna miss white being a color option. Do the black ones not get hot in the sun?

Edit: oh snap they’re finally usb C.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 3, 2022

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Rolo posted:

My 2016-ish Paperwhite 3 battery is now going down like 1% a minute. Looks like the newest PW is a decent upgrade. Any drawbacks I should be aware of? Can you still remove ads later? The ad-free version isn’t shipping for like a month in my area.

Also I’m gonna miss white being a color option. Do the black ones not get hot in the sun?

You can remove the ads later and a ton of people have had luck calling Amazon and saying "I got a saucy ad in public and my community shunned me and my spouse left me, can you remove the ads" and gotten it done for free

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rolo posted:

I upgraded from a Paperwhite 3 to a new paperwhite 3-4 months ago and it's a night/day difference on the screen in terms of performance/refresh speed. I have no regrets at all in upgrading.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
i held a Kobo Sage irl at a bookstore up here in Canada and i'm pretty pissed about it

i don't think i can get anything else now but its a whole rear end $300 CAD

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I upgraded from a Paperwhite 3 to a new paperwhite 3-4 months ago and it's a night/day difference on the screen in terms of performance/refresh speed. I have no regrets at all in upgrading.

Yeah the speed boost over the last model is huge and totally understated. It was a big upgrade for me.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm tempted to ditch my Paperwhite for a kobo solely to get buttons back

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah the speed boost over the last model is huge and totally understated. It was a big upgrade for me.

Oooh I think it officially checks all my boxes now. Ordered along with the snazzy red case. I didn’t have one on my last one but the thick raised bezels helped protect it I think. Flush screen is gonna get a case for sure.

My friend is getting into reading again so she’s getting my 3 as a gift. If she likes it I’ll fumble my way through a battery change eventually.

I do hope she likes it, I’m feeling somewhat sentimental towards an Amazon product of all things. Took in a lot of good books through it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got this email.

Amazon posted:

Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We wanted to let you know that starting August 2022, you’ll no longer be able to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your library. Any MOBI files already in your Kindle library will not be affected by this change.

MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible file format.

Also, compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using your Send to Kindle email address. We’ll also be adding EPUB support to the free Kindle app for iOS and Android devices and the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac.

If you have any questions, please visit our help page or contact our Customer Service team.

Regards,
The Kindle Team

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I'm tempted to ditch my Paperwhite for a kobo solely to get buttons back

I've got the Kobo Libra 2 and it's a wonderful reading device. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Looks like kindles are getting the ability to have epubs sent to them.

https://goodereader.com/blog/kindle/the-amazon-kindle-will-support-epub-in-late-2022

Dunno why they are stopping the mobi support though, that seems weird.

Fun fact: Send to Kindle could always handle epub files, but in a janky way:
If you try to email an epub file directly, it would just reject it. But if you rename the file to something else that needs to be converted (e.g. .png) it would.... just realize that it's actually an epub file and convert it for you :v:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Tamba posted:

If you try to email an epub file directly, it would just reject it. But if you rename the file to something else that needs to be converted (e.g. .png) it would.... just realize that it's actually an epub file and convert it for you :v:

I wonder if that method will work for MOBI

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

frameset posted:

I've got the Kobo Libra 2 and it's a wonderful reading device. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Amen, true words. It's the best Kobo I've ever owned.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Hear hear... perfect weight/feel, great software, nice lighting, fast, hardware buttons.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

As a Sage owner, I wish it was as good as the Libra 2. :qq:

The firmware issues causing the buttons to not work correctly 100% of time has been frustrating since it's been happening since launch and I've had a ticket open with them since January. At least the screen is better in quality against the Forma but it's been tempting to just go back to it because I know *that* works.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Tamba posted:

what aaaaaaaaaa

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

My Aura ONE still works fine but y'all are making me want to... not quite upgrade... sidegrade? to a Libra 2.

How long will the online sale last?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Space Fish posted:

My Aura ONE still works fine but y'all are making me want to... not quite upgrade... sidegrade? to a Libra 2.

How long will the online sale last?

Believe it’s a Mother’s Day sale? So it might be done after this coming Sunday.

Edit: Yep:

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got my new Paperwhite with the leather magnet cover.

Cover quality is cheap, figured it would be, but it works well and it locking/unlocking the device is nice. As for the device, I’m happy with the update. The screen size and new “warmth” settings are perfect plus the USB-C and faster response time is a welcome upgrade. Hooray, worth the cash.

Now to finally finish Blood Meridian after never being able to get into it.