Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jesus loving christ

yeah what's the problem? abortion is critical to both women's liberation and workers liberation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Now for an actual hot take

https://twitter.com/RealAlexRubi/status/1521336455137828864?t=9D6pMvk3icTBfvssSdDQBw&s=19

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Leftists proclaim they hate cops but they will not let me build my libertarian pedophile Utopia, hypocrites much??????

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/timcast/status/1521455399639134208?s=21&t=pH2HcW-nR_I-h6JaomLt_Q

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://twitter.com/qaomene/status/1521488229974822913

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

the most White Woman take ever devised

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

tbh the bodily autonomy line of argument never sat well with me. it’s good to restrict people’s bodily autonomy at times, such as temporary involuntary psychiatric commitment or making bicyclists wear a helmet

there’s better ways to argue for legal abortion I think. like castle doctrine, which is similar to but not quite the same as bodily autonomy

e: and of course in both cases I’m assuming the acceptance that a fetus is a human simply for the sake of argument

indigi has issued a correction as of 19:13 on May 3, 2022

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Goku coming in with the followup

https://twitter.com/1stSSJ3/status/1521516180229738496

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

lol Jesus is he stupid

https://twitter.com/realalexrubi/status/1521555066464964608?s=21&t=BObX1CiHF1DPL3iNCyXSuQ

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/Liz_Wheeler/status/1521302606592806912?s=20&t=SFDwn7vzjy3FXR1sjOpqGA

gently caress

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

indigi posted:

making bicyclists wear a helmet

This one no. Motorcyclists yes though.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

NightGyr posted:

This one no. Motorcyclists yes though.

Genuinely curious why you don't think bicyclists should be mandated helmets?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

mcconaughey grisham voice:] now imagine that the fetus was black

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

indigi posted:

tbh the bodily autonomy line of argument never sat well with me. it’s good to restrict people’s bodily autonomy at times, such as temporary involuntary psychiatric commitment or making bicyclists wear a helmet

there’s better ways to argue for legal abortion I think. like castle doctrine, which is similar to but not quite the same as bodily autonomy

e: and of course in both cases I’m assuming the acceptance that a fetus is a human simply for the sake of argument

the real argument is and always has been that abortion is absolutely necessary for female humans to have full and equal human rights under the material realities of capitalism. but like with everything in American politics you never lead with your real argument

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://twitter.com/SamuliGloersen/status/1496650455174328323

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Tim Pool learns the shocking truth: some people get laid

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

War and Pieces posted:

the real argument is and always has been that abortion is absolutely necessary for female humans to have full and equal human rights under the material realities of capitalism. but like with everything in American politics you never lead with your real argument

:females:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

liberal white women kicking and screaming into 2022: 'look, we can be just as bad as white men'

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

fermun posted:

Now that Trump's off twitter, JCO is possibly the best poster
https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/1521161749101170690

My dude looking like Office Jim

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

mcconaughey grisham voice:] now imagine that the fetus was black

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zipperelli. posted:

Genuinely curious why you don't think bicyclists should be mandated helmets?

the biggest two reasons are that statistics show helmet wearing cyclists are more likely to get hit by cars because drivers are less cautious, and that having to wear a helmet is seen as :effort: by many, which means they'll more often take the car instead

on an unrelated tangent, car drivers are several times more likely to die of a head injury than cyclists, clearly car driver helmet mandate should come first

you should still wear it though

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Truga posted:

the biggest two reasons are that statistics show helmet wearing cyclists are more likely to get hit by cars because drivers are less cautious, and that having to wear a helmet is seen as :effort: by many, which means they'll more often take the car instead

can you explain this with different phrasing? that didn't make much sense

1. drivers are less cautious around bicyclists wearing helmets
2. there are lots of people that would bike but don't or do so less often due to helmet mandates

or show your statistics? it's confusing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no, you understand it perfectly:
1. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/09/060911102200.htm

quote:

Dr Walker, who was struck by a bus and a truck in the course of the experiment, spent half the time wearing a cycle helmet and half the time bare-headed. He was wearing the helmet both times he was struck.

He found that drivers were as much as twice as likely to get particularly close to the bicycle when he was wearing the helmet.

Across the board, drivers passed an average of 8.5 cm (3 1/3 inches) closer with the helmet than without
2. https://www.nber.org/papers/w15658

quote:

Over 20 states have adopted laws requiring youths to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. We confirm previous research indicating that these laws reduced fatalities and increased helmet use, but we also show that the laws significantly reduced youth bicycling. We find this result in standard two-way fixed effects models of parental reports of youth bicycling, as well as in triple difference models of self-reported bicycling among high school youths that explicitly account for bicycling by youths just above the helmet law age threshold.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Conclusion: Helmet mandates only after executing anyone with a car.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not trying to say you're "wrong" per se, Truga, but the second point seems to be playing games with public health measures and actual compliance with them, as in "if we say you can take off your face mask when you're outdoors, more people will wear them"

or even "if we say people who are vaccinated will no longer need to wear face masks, that will encourage more people to get vaccinated"

again, I'm not doubting what those statistics suggest, I just don't think it's something that we should place in the same realm as "are you less likely to die if you wear a helmet"

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Conclusion: Helmet mandates only after executing anyone with a car.

yeah this guy gets it. a really big part of why helmets aren't mandated in europe countries big on cycling is that they paint cycling as this dangerous activity you should clearly avoid doing, otherwise why wear a helmet in the first place, when cars don't need it and cars are clearly way more dangerous with higher fatality numbers

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not trying to say you're "wrong" per se, Truga, but the second point seems to be playing games with public health measures and actual compliance with them, as in "if we say you can take off your face mask when you're outdoors, more people will wear them"

or even "if we say people who are vaccinated will no longer need to wear face masks, that will encourage more people to get vaccinated"

again, I'm not doubting what those statistics suggest, I just don't think it's something that we should place in the same realm as "are you less likely to die if you wear a helmet"

no you're right, like i said you should still wear a helmet since they do decrease fatalities, but any actual mandates should happen after car people get them, because 1. injury statistics say they need them more and 2. if both need you to wear a helmet, you're not depressing cycler turnout as much :v:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Truga posted:

no, you understand it perfectly:
did they account for "bicyclists wearing helmets are more likely to assume that they're safe and thus are more likely to ride in riskier ways"?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Wasn't that also an argument against mandatory seatbelts?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

almost certainly, but apparently the statistics for bicyclists with vs without helmets are basically the opposite of the stats for motorcyclists with vs without helmets

and i'm struggling to believe that drivers give a poo poo whether bicyclists are wearing helmets

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

there should be a strictly enforced helmet mandate, but only for pedestrians

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

FFT posted:

and i'm struggling to believe that drivers give a poo poo whether bicyclists are wearing helmets

This.

Like, what kind of inference is that? The issue is that people in cars don't care in general about anyone else on the road unless the other person is in a vehicle larger than theirs. Bicyclists? Lmfao. Zero respect.

Also, side note, here where I live we have helmet laws for everyone. I've seen bicycle cops "pull people over" for not wearing a helmet while riding their bicycle. What I want to see though, is a bicycle cop do a PIT maneuver on another bicycle that won't stop :lol:

Zipperelli. has issued a correction as of 12:48 on May 4, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

On the one hand it seems somewhat illogical that motorists are specifically targeting helmeted cyclists for destruction on the other hand all cagers are completely insane at all times so it actually makes sense

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
https://twitter.com/disabledhousing/status/1520091485345091585

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

did they account for "bicyclists wearing helmets are more likely to assume that they're safe and thus are more likely to ride in riskier ways"?

since the study was just one guy riding around on a bike I’m guessing he didn’t control for a lot of things.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

didnt this guy find people gave him more room when he wore a long haired wig? why isnt the argument that wigs should be mandatory for cyclists?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

temporary involuntary psychiatric commitment

this has historically been horrifically abused and is currently being used to prepare liberals to cheerlead sending homeless people to the camps

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Do words even work like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I live about 2 minutes away from Connecticut and they don't even require motorcyclists to wear a helmet. It's insane