Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Cronometer is fantastic, got great features for food tracking and is a genuinely well-made & reliable piece of software which is refreshing these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

R. Guyovich posted:

it's pretty easy you just need a food scale and a tracker app like cronometer. if you maintain a regular rotation of certain foods tracking becomes very plug and play

it's pretty cool our food environment is so broken we need to do extreme stuff like this to stay healthy. thanks nutrition science!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Fortaleza posted:

Used to know some Alaskan dudes with jobs like that, they're all fuckin' weird from long bouts of isolation.

at least they got an excuse

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

cowboy beepboop posted:

it's pretty cool our food environment is so broken we need to do extreme stuff like this to stay healthy. thanks nutrition science!

Is taking a couple seconds to tap a few buttons on your phone before you shove food into your maw really that extreme?

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Aglet56 posted:

some of the earliest known writings about hashish are from egypt, circa 1100 AD, and it was known throughout the muslim world by the 1200s. by 1453, the ottomon empire had conquered constantinople. so, y'know, draw your own conclusions

my conclusion is that nobody in Egypt or Rome was smoking weed erry day and my justification is the common knowledge that stoners are dumb and lazy

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah weighing your food and meticulously tracking everything you eat is extreme. do you think humans even 50 years ago needed to do that to be healthy?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I mean yeah I kind of do think there were a lot of fatties in 1972

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Agean90 posted:

idk if a joke or not, but please don't starve yourself to lose weight an eating disorder is not a good way to be healthy

yeah get your stomach removed instead, it works like magic

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Skipping a meal or two is perfectly fine despite what Big Food will try to tell you.

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
it’s pretty easy to not gain weight if you only keep whole plant foods at home and rarely eat out. like the only thing I need to consciously limit are nut butters.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Nut and seed oils? To me, this is ideology...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

cowboy beepboop posted:

yeah weighing your food and meticulously tracking everything you eat is extreme. do you think humans even 50 years ago needed to do that to be healthy?

i'm doing it because i train and need to be highly precise with my diet. calm down

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cowboy beepboop posted:

i'm p sure we're overall healthier today than back when "a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of vodka" was considered a healthy lunch

life expectancy was 8 years shorter in 1972 lol

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Wheeee posted:

hanzo steel is the real deal

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tulip posted:

i'm p sure we're overall healthier today than back when "a pack of cigarettes and a bottle of vodka" was considered a healthy lunch

life expectancy was 8 years shorter in 1972 lol

diet has nothing to do with that

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

some of the earliest known writings about hashish are from egypt, circa 1100 AD, and it was known throughout the muslim world by the 1200s. by 1453, the ottomon empire had conquered constantinople. so, y'know, draw your own conclusions

the assassins were the original reefer madness scare

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

cowboy beepboop posted:

I'm doing it because I need to drop a lot of weight. If I keep eating the type and quantities of foods I eat now after I drop all that weight, I won't have to track it and can be confident I can maintain my weight and be healthy, but if you want to change your body yeah you gotta track that poo poo

The reason we didn't use to have to track things was because food was a lot scarcer and life was a lot harder

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ever since the white man discovered the coconut prices have been up, i say you all give it up

just wait until the west discovers durian

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

still mad white people learned about chicken thighs, prices gone up so much!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Wheeee posted:

still mad white people learned about chicken thighs, prices gone up so much!

this but tri-tip

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this but all loving meat lol

hamburger is absurd and i haven't bought bacon in two years

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

this but all loving meat lol

hamburger is absurd and i haven't bought bacon in two years

The bacon ends and pieces pack are half the price of the "pretty" bacon packs at my store and have been fine for me

As a white person who got onto chicken thighs years ago I'm sorry but not really

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

fast cars loose anus posted:

As a white person who got onto chicken thighs years ago I'm sorry but not really

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The bacon ends and pieces pack are half the price of the "pretty" bacon packs at my store and have been fine for me

great tip, since they're just going in breakfast tacos anyway

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I've been on the thigh superiority train for a decade now but only recently have I discovered that it's better to buy bone in skin on chicken thighs and then debone them at home. keep the bones in a gallon ziplock in the freezer and then use them to make stock when you've got enough.

skin on boneless thighs are extremely good in a sandwich or anything really

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

The reason we didn't use to have to track things was because food was a lot scarcer and life was a lot harder

not really. food was abundant but it was very different. I read this recently which is a nice insight into what some americans were eating in the 20s and 30s
https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2022/04/04/book-review-a-square-meal-part-i-foods-of-the-20s-and-30s/

if you look at old cookbooks from around the same time you'll be struck by how many 'calories' each meal was as they're all full of cream, butter and animal fats and meat. and yet, people didn't need to track calories to stay healthy and slim.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cowboy beepboop posted:

americans ... in the 20s and 30s
healthy

[citation needed]

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
love nutty seedy oily dudes

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

cowboy beepboop posted:

not really. food was abundant but it was very different. I read this recently which is a nice insight into what some americans were eating in the 20s and 30s
https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2022/04/04/book-review-a-square-meal-part-i-foods-of-the-20s-and-30s/

if you look at old cookbooks from around the same time you'll be struck by how many 'calories' each meal was as they're all full of cream, butter and animal fats and meat. and yet, people didn't need to track calories to stay healthy and slim.

probably because 80% of Americans were growing their own food. easy to stay thin when you burn 5k calories a day as a farmer. also I don’t think you can extrapolate things from a cook book.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

FacelessVoid posted:

probably because 80% of Americans were growing their own food. easy to stay thin when you burn 5k calories a day as a farmer. also I don’t think you can extrapolate things from a cook book.

only about about half of people lived in rural areas back then, and in places like the northeast 75%+ of people lived in cities. they weren't all growing their own food.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_in_the_United_States

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

cowboy beepboop posted:

only about about half of people lived in rural areas back then, and in places like the northeast 75%+ of people lived in cities. they weren't all growing their own food.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urbanization_in_the_United_States

i remember reading 80% of people grew their own food in some capacity pre wwii, but I can’t find the source at the moment. so true they weren’t all farmers but never the less people were a lot more physically active.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

FacelessVoid posted:

It's this

There's a pretty big difference between eating 1lb of corned beef over an entire day and doing manual labor vs eating 1lb of corned beef, getting into your car, driving to your office, driving home, and watching tv

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I got cronometer based on this thread and yes it's a million times better than the other apps I was using

thank you thread

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Wasn't the average military aged man/recruit like badly malnourished by WWII? That article that got posted pointed out that in WWI American soldiers took their white bread rations as a point of pride compared to other soldiers getting brown bread which lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the story i've heard is that it was the UK that was very unimpressed with the health of their WWI draftees

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

IAMKOREA posted:

Wasn't the average military aged man/recruit like badly malnourished by WWII? That article that got posted pointed out that in WWI American soldiers took their white bread rations as a point of pride compared to other soldiers getting brown bread which lol

Everyone is confusing calories = nutrition, and thinking that skinny = healthy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

spacemang_spliff posted:

I've been on the thigh superiority train for a decade now but only recently have I discovered that it's better to buy bone in skin on chicken thighs and then debone them at home. keep the bones in a gallon ziplock in the freezer and then use them to make stock when you've got enough.

skin on boneless thighs are extremely good in a sandwich or anything really

just don’t eat meat dumbass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
durrr love to needlessly kill and also talk about eating bones and skin like a monster lol. it’s so hosed up

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Smythe posted:

durrr love to needlessly kill and also talk about eating bones and skin like a monster lol. it’s so hosed up

yeah its pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

no meats no sweets