Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

silicone thrills posted:

Maybe if enough of them get seriously sick theyll take it seriously

This is what I come to this thread for, the jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Zantie posted:

Sometimes I hate that I've become the person who actively hopes people get hurt for exactly this reason. And then eventually maybe enough will get Congress to pass more funding. Ugh. Why do I hurt myself with any kind of hope.

I hate it too but i've definitely realized the reality is no one with any power cares unless its them or their loved ones

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trixie Hardcore posted:

funniest poo poo I’ve seen all day

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Mola Yam posted:

the data nerd in me wants to get one of those aranet4 things

but it's not like it would change my behaviour at all, so it's a lot of money to spend on a number toy

I'm considering one just to measure how ventilated my home is. It's pretty neato.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I want it on record that I do not wish any of these people well.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

silicone thrills posted:

I hate it too but i've definitely realized the reality is no one with any power cares unless its them or their loved ones

Are we even sure of that at this point?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Laughter, after all, is the best medicine

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
gently caress da CDC. i have covid

never remove your mask

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

if that Princeton study about democracy being dead as a doornail is to be believed, the only way to get anything done about COVID is to gently caress up at least half of the top 1%. Tim Kaine is a good start. we must persevere.

Stevie Lee posted:

never remove your mask

poo poo. https://www.findcovidcare.com and get paxlovid asap if you can. every bit helps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Before you'd get called in through the national electronic mailbox system in accordance with your personal ID number, no way to cheat, but I'm pretty sure it's up to your doctor now and you need to be immunocompromised somehow.

Doubt our neighbours are offering.

Forget Germany, we can't get 2nd boosters unless 70, high risk or a healthcare worker. And the latter have to wait 6 months the as well.

My booster was in November so it's mainly useless by now I guess. Hope I don't have to put it to the test.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zantie posted:

Are you sure it was a twitter thread? I described in detail how I use it at work just as you say there, but it was just in text as a reply to someone who was kind of brushing it off as a tool. It's I dunno how many pages ago but it'd also be in my post history. I feel too self-conscious to just quote myself when it's not awesome graphs cause there's a chance my post is not what you're thinking of and then I'll be embarrassed.

yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a twitter thread. The poster talked about how she used her CO2 gauge on a room that a bunch of coworkers had finished eating in. She opened the windows and waited until the gauge read ~500 or so, then she had her lunch. I thought it was an interesting approach

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
a CO2 monitor might be useful if you need home plumbing work done and you wanna see if you’ve exchanged the air enough after the plumber’s gone

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i bet you can monitor methane too and have a record of people's farts

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I ran into a coworker on my way out to my car for lunch break. She says 'oh hey Lacrosse, I haven't seen you in ages! Have you been on vacation?'

:confused: "No I've been at my desk?"

She then goes on to say "Oh no that was me that was on vacation! And then I was sick with covid for a week! I was so sick, I had to go to the urgent care clinic. My family went on a ski trip and of the 10 of us that went 9 of us got covid. So-and-so's dad is in his 70s and he got so sick he had to go to the hospital!" It was really weird she was telling me this story like that's just something normal that happens to you on vacation.

Anyway just :rubby: that this person was so sick with covid they forgot they went on vacation and thought it was me who was gone. I've even walked past this user's desk several times yesterday but apparently that hadn't registered with them.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Welp, I hosed around. We'll see if I find out.

I work in a large open machine shop space and typically there's maybe one or two other people working at the far end. I decided that I could take my mask off since there wasn't anyone within 30 yards of me. My coworker who was out taking care of his sick kid yesterday snuck up on me and started a conversation when I wasn't paying attention. I'm not built for constant vigilance.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
meanwhile on cruise ships:

https://twitter.com/kathycalm/status/1521657113939828738?s=21&t=abWv7h-SIIAW2VIv5OMMHw

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Stereotype posted:

i bet you can monitor methane too and have a record of people's farts

Okay I’m starting to see why there’s so much interest in them itt now

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
idk who any of these media fucks are so I’m not sure if I’m seeing the same name repeatedly or if Kim K is a superspreader.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Trixie Hardcore posted:

idk who any of these media fucks are so I’m not sure if I’m seeing the same name repeatedly or if Kim K is a superspreader.

so far only 1 or 2 names out, it’s the same ones over and over

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

is a post interview dinner a thing for many jobs? Sounds awkward and hellish for everyone under normal circumstances

not that i know of and yes I think it sounds like poo poo, under never normal again circumstances

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Unlike with the cruise ships, it will never officially be known how many people got Covid at that dinner.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

I like how everyone freaked out after T Scott's festival when a few people got trampled to death but the WHCD dinner will statistically kill one or two and maim several others and it's just. :shurg:

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

How could it be any other way?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Zantie posted:

Are you sure it was a twitter thread? I described in detail how I use it at work just as you say there, but it was just in text as a reply to someone who was kind of brushing it off as a tool. It's I dunno how many pages ago but it'd also be in my post history. I feel too self-conscious to just quote myself when it's not awesome graphs cause there's a chance my post is not what you're thinking of and then I'll be embarrassed.
I don't care what that OP said, because your post was definitely what they are thinking of OR it's a virtually identical post that's also good and worthy of people reading it if they missed it before. I actually thought it was your post earlier when they first asked about it but I was distracted caring for my child and forgot to :justpost: with my response.

Ta-da

Zantie posted:

I use it as a means to see if I'm comfortable enough doffing to chug water and shove lunch into my mouth in an empty office when it's below freezing with rain and wind (I don't drive to work so no eating in a car option). Sometimes people use those rooms before me and I don't always know, so I stick my air monitor in a room, wait a few minutes, and if the reading is ~450ppm then I'll close the door and take off my mask for a quick lunch. Sometimes after a couple minutes the reading is about 550ppm. Over time+experience with my workplace building that usually means someone was in the room with the door shut for at least a half hour and only recently left. So I wait about 15-20 minutes (or two air exchanges) and check again. I also have to take medication throughout the day for narcolepsy so it's not like I can go 8 hours without removing my mask at all.

I know people are going to judge and poo poo on that but It's helpful for me because there have been days that for whatever reason, the building won't get under 500ppm so I eat+drink+medicate outside regardless of how poo poo the weather is. On nicer days I just eat outside no problem, it's just my joints suck in the winter and doffing in an empty room when the air exchange is solid helps me not feel like rage quitting an otherwise good job. It's not pointless for me. Before I got it I would dread going to work and have an elevated heart rate the whole time just sitting at my desk or lab bench. Turns out sitting at my desk on the average day is ~460-480ppm. I'm not comfortable taking my mask of there so I don't, but it's helped me a lot with not feeling like I'm swimming in COVID all day. Not being as stressed out about it helps with my mental and physical health too. And just because I'm not as stressed doesn't mean I don't care. I care deeply, I'm just also aware that caring so deeply that it starts hurting me is not helpful or good for anyone.

I also use it when I'm masking around others indoors to judge whether or not I should just leave an area since I'm never 100% sure I've got a solid seal on my auras. But I'm also a scientist so I'm never 100% sure of anything. And yes, it is fun to wander around measuring different spaces and places. It's definitely one of those things that I'll end up bringing with me on trips and the like, whenever that becomes a thing again.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

but they were all vaxxed and boosted how could this be!?!?!?!?!
lmao

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

too real
although lately been taking family out to parks and outdoor-away-from-people poo poo so it's been nice
planning the annual summer trip to a secluded cabin in the woods and it's gonna rule

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

the data nerd in me wants to get one of those aranet4 things

but it's not like it would change my behaviour at all, so it's a lot of money to spend on a number toy
it's so cute though

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Thesaurus posted:

is a post interview dinner a thing for many jobs? Sounds awkward and hellish for everyone under normal circumstances

For academics, yes. They do a full day of interviews and then force you to socialize afterwards.

What my partner did at his recent academic interviews was let them know ahead of time that he would not be removing his mask indoors for any reason, but would be happy to partake in meals in unenclosed outdoor spaces. One of the two schools wrote back to ask if it was okay for people to have coffee and snacks during his talk and he said no.

Also, PSA that if interviewers EVER ask you questions about your health or medical conditions during an interview that are not very specifically and directly related to your ability to perform core job functions, flee as soon as possible. That is one of the most basic items in Not Getting Sued For Employers 101, and if they aren't able to manage that, it's going to be 400% shitshow by volume.

CK07 has issued a correction as of 07:43 on May 4, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Stevie Lee posted:

never remove your mask
saw your post earlier but lost it before i could quote, so here we are
best of luck, life is a gently caress, :rip:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

It sure seems like more goons and goon‐adjacent people are getting COVID now than January.

And then there’s the activity in the Douglas Commonwealth.

The numbers on a national basis are substantially lower, but it’s hitting some geographic areas disproportionately hard recently, as well as certain demographics within those areas.

I said this a week ago and it’s only gotten worse since. :shepface:

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

silicone thrills posted:

Maybe if enough of them get seriously sick theyll take it seriously

:allears:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Good.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Relentlessboredomm posted:

is there any sort of uv-c lamps or residential uv-c germicidal lights i could get?

lmao, hope it gets some of those motherfuckers

Idk, seems like a real good way to gently caress up your eyes?

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

i had to attend an indoors work meeting with my coworkers who flew over for a work event

and then i went to indoors trivia at a bar for several more hours with some current and former coworker pals after that

a couple people asked politely about 😡 mask, but i kept it jovial and just said i didnt wanna get covid and wasnt eating or drinking, and that went fine and i still had a good time hanging and chatting and being bad at trivia

sucks that i went into a bar and walked out more sober than i was when i came in, but im quitting this job soon anyways so im definitely not gonna let it push me into my first covid bout

only your respirator trust

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
you could have butt-chugged

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

genericnick posted:

Idk, seems like a real good way to gently caress up your eyes?

It can be.

If it’s professionally installed well above eye level, with louvres to prevent direct viewing of the lamps and attention paid to the design and use of the room, it can be pretty safe.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2099326/ posted:

We evaluated the safety of room occupants in the Tuberculosis Ultraviolet Shelter Study (TUSS), a double-blind, placebo-controlled field trial of upper-room ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI) at 14 homeless shelters in six U.S. cities from 1997 to 2004.

quote:

Among these subjects, there were 223 reports of eye or skin symptoms. During the active UV period, 95 questionnaires (6%) noted such symptoms, and during the placebo period, 92 questionnaires (6%) did so. In the 36 remaining cases, either the UV period when symptoms took place was unknown or the symptoms spanned both periods. There was no statistically significant difference in the number of reports of symptoms between the active and placebo periods. One definite instance of UV-related keratoconjunctivitis occurred, resulting from a placement of a bunk bed in a dormitory where a single bed had been used when the UV fixtures were first installed.

222 nm is generally considered safer for the eyes than 254 nm, but it’s less well studied (and the equipment is more expensive).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chamale posted:

By official numbers, covid is over for another 337 Americans today. The lowest we ever got was 188 Americans a day, last July when vaccines were working and Delta hadn't hit yet.

The failing, low energy American covid death rate! Sad!! :yooge:

E: no really you're losing out to Australia

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thank you 3M :worship:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
My friend in Taiwan doesn't think things will get bad there because of how mild covid is now.

I felt some pang of sadness informing him that is not at all true. He says everyone wears (surgical) masks and that you have to quarantine 10 days when you pop hot so fingers crossed that accomplishes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
extremely back-of-the-napkin math question:

if we assume that it takes 14 days to recover from COVID, on average

and a particular population being monitored keeps reporting 300 new cases per day (and assuming that case monitoring is reliable/accurate), and this rate is mostly stable

then you would expect active cases to level off at around 4,200 cases, right?

because as soon as the 300 people from T-14 days recover, we get another 300 new cases from T-0
the next day, 300 people from T-13 days recover, but we get another 300 new cases from T+1
the next day, 300 people from T-12 days recover, but we get another 300 new cases from T+2
and so on and so forth

again, this is extremely simplistic, and makes a lot of assumptions that probably won't hold, but am I making sense?