Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Spokes posted:

sitting here just shaking my head at the thought of having to play the chase against brandon blackwell

i would rather face literally any other human being on this earth, past or present. i know this sounds hyperbolic and i'm ready to eat my hat, but just you wait lol

like, he probably doesn't have Victoria's knowledgebase (because no one does) but he is just impossibly fast

yeah i stand by this lol

e: oh gross i didn't mean to snipe the page. uhhhhh, that final jeopardy was easy and perfectly written. that should get us back on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

mlnhd posted:

mozambique? cote d'ivoire?

Mozambique is lusitanic.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Unkempt posted:

Mozambique is lusitanic.

Lusitanic Panic would be a great trivia team/band name

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

HookShot posted:

Also Mattea would have been like one year old when the Elian Gonzalez thing happened, you're all old.

This is a good time to propose my theory that Mattea is not 23 years old but like hundreds because she's a cool witch of some sort. She crushes historical categories like no other and I feel like it makes sense overall.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Lusitanic Panic would be a great trivia team/band name

Lusitanic would also be a fantastic name for a ship, come to think of it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Unkempt posted:

Lusitanic would also be a fantastic name for a ship, come to think of it.

the lusitania was a ship. famously sunk by germans accusing it of carrying munitions and not civilians, leading to bringing the us into ww1

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
*buzzes in* "What is the joke?"

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Mattea is so good. I'm consistently shocked at how much American History stuff she knows despite being Canadian. Her mannerisms are fine, but I wish she would stop saying 'oh that's not right' or whatever after she gets something wrong, because that's when other contestants are trying to focus since the question is still in play.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Orzo posted:

Mattea is so good. I'm consistently shocked at how much American History stuff she knows despite being Canadian. Her mannerisms are fine, but I wish she would stop saying 'oh that's not right' or whatever after she gets something wrong, because that's when other contestants are trying to focus since the question is still in play.

Sounds like good strategy.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I think it's hilarious every time she gets it wrong she has something to say. :lol: Makes her seem more real.

Also we Canadians are raised on American poo poo a lot so we know a ton about the country which isn't quite the same for Americans knowing about Canada or anything really outside their state lines.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Every time Mattea knows another bit of obscure Americana, I want to apologize to her

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sounds like good strategy.
I suppose if the showrunners don't stop it, it's fair game.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

CPColin posted:

Every time Mattea knows another bit of obscure Americana, I want to apologize to her

You sound...Canadian. :raise:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
HOW DARE YOU :blastu:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mattea gonna be as big as the Stanley Cup with how this is going. :lol:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Well I screwed up the last 2 gimme Finals (I said Julius Caesar and Shiloh)

On the other hand, Rickrolling can now be retired as my mother has now found out who he is.

Edit: She has now confused Robo's Theme from Chrono Trigger for Never Gonna Give You Up.

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 5, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol @ all 3 whiffing on the 1st clue

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Island Nation posted:

Edit: She has now confused Robo's Theme from Chrono Trigger for Never Gonna Give You Up.

Pretty sure that exact mash-up exists out there

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

CPColin posted:

Put three Canadians on and they can politely agree on who should answer first

Monkey's paw curls: the three Canadians are a Leafs fan, a Habs fan and an Oilers fan.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Island Nation posted:

On the other hand, Rickrolling can now be retired as my mother has now found out who he is.

Rickrolling, the 15 year old Internet joke, can now be retired in TYOOL 2022. Well thank goodness. We wouldn’t want it to get stale.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm sure plenty out there are never gonna give it up

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

CPColin posted:

Pretty sure that exact mash-up exists out there

I don't doubt that one bit

Zesty posted:

Rickrolling, the 15 year old Internet joke, can now be retired in TYOOL 2022. Well thank goodness. We wouldn’t want it to get stale.

It wasn't just Rickrolling. She'd somehow never heard of Rick Astley before. Much less his inadverent contribution to Internet history.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

lol @ all 3 whiffing on the 1st clue

Mattea straight up scoffed/laughed at the 3rd contestant (2nd to answer) when she responded incorrectly

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 5, 2022

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Never Gonna Give You Up is a legitimately awesome song so sorry it better not go anywhere.

Anyway

THURSDAY RESULT SPOILER

wow I think everyone thought that she was finally cooked. I didn’t know the answer myself.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never Gonna Give You Up is a legitimately awesome song so sorry it better not go anywhere.

Anyway

THURSDAY RESULT SPOILER

wow I think everyone thought that she was finally cooked. I didn’t know the answer myself.

First thing, it is a good song albeit cheesy from its synths

Mattea should've been done, any film buff knows that immediately. It's crazy how she's escaped several games this way

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Don't think you even need to be a buff, it's like, the black and white film. The main one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well I’ve never seen it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Ehh, it's pretty good. Not enough spaceships or robots but okay.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It's on HBO Max

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Holy gently caress thank god. Jesus. This is turning into playoffs now and I’m swearing and yelling.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

She’s now 5th all time in both non-tournament winnings and correct answers. The gap between 5 and 4 is double what she’s already accomplished so I suspect her leaderboard position is set.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Yeah I like Mattea fine but she's gotten some lucky breaks to make it this far, I don't think her streak is gonna last too much longer.

ToC is gonna loving own though, praying they announce Ken as the full-time host before then

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Spent most of the game thinking this was going to be it as well. Then I saw the challenger's confused expression during the finale and immediately switched to thinking that Mattea was going to pull the win out.

Normally when there's a super streaker I tend to start rooting for the underdogs, but I really didn't want Mattea to lose today.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I've never seen Citizen Kane either, but I do know three things about it: Hearst, Rosebud, and Xanadu.

It does help that I live an hour away from the real-life inspiration for Xanadu, though.

Edit: Also her reaction to scraping by was adorbs :3:

CPColin fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 6, 2022

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ninjahedgehog posted:

Yeah I like Mattea fine but she's gotten some lucky breaks to make it this far, I don't think her streak is gonna last too much longer.

With apologies to Spokes, she reminds me a bit of Zuffranieri in that she has felt beatable throughout her run. No doubting her skills, but she has never felt like an inevitable winner to me...which is a different kind of impressive.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Poque posted:

With apologies to Spokes, she reminds me a bit of Zuffranieri in that she has felt beatable throughout her run. No doubting her skills, but she has never felt like an inevitable winner to me...which is a different kind of impressive.

:unsmith:

agreed. great player but vulnerable to either a strong challenger or bad luck at the wrong time (or probably a little of both)

ninjahedgehog posted:

you know who was insanely lucky at like eight different times

brad rutter!

obviously he turned out to be very very good but it's crazy to think that his flawless two decades could have been ended at any point with one smarter wager or someone getting an easy FJ or beating him on the buzzer at a critical point

i like mattea but i'd like to see her in this ToC and let us have a bunch of fresh players for the next one

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
I ff’d through the commercial break and just caught the the tail-end of the answer. I guessed “Lost Horizon”, even though I’ve seen CK many more times. Not yet sure I am wrong, lol.

Mattea is a fine champ. Random stuff in both directions helps and hurts contenders all the time. Amy zoned out for a micro second and was gone. All things are possible at once (eg., CK may or may not be the greatest film of all time, depending on how many times you’ve seen it).

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
https://www.vulture.com/article/jeopardy-champion-mattea-roach-interview.html

Fun interview with Mattea. It ends with her saying she supports Ken for host, just like Amy did during her run.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPColin posted:

I've never seen Citizen Kane either, but I do know three things about it: Hearst, Rosebud, and Xanadu.

It does help that I live an hour away from the real-life inspiration for Xanadu, though.

Edit: Also her reaction to scraping by was adorbs :3:

I knew it was Citizen Kane, but I couldn't remember what it was called, my brain kept telling me "that Rosebud movie" :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Because of the clue I might be able to get my wife to watch Citizen Kane.