Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'd love to go back in time to be in one of those crowds. 70 minutes and backflips and head kicks didn't exist yet. What a time it must have been.

I mean you could just watch a british bulldog match if you want to see a bunch of rest holds followed by a power slam finish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Suplex Liberace posted:

I'd love to go back in time to be in one of those crowds. 70 minutes and backflips and head kicks didn't exist yet. What a time it must have been.

Having a body slam and a dropkick in the same match would be seen as a spotfest.

Wanna show people from that era Omega/Okada 1 and watch their heads explode like that dude in Scanners. It would probably happen around the time of the top rope dragon superplex.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Is there a reason why Taiji Ishimori uses the Game Over but calls it the Yes Lock? I know him and KENTA worked together a lot in NOAH and it seems a bit weird for a NOAH guy to use KENTA's move but use it's WWE name.

he has said it is specifically to pay tribute to danielson. when he first came to new japan he was doing a lot of needling at noah too so i don't know if it might have also been (re)born from that

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
It's called the "Bone Lock" now

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Are wwe house shows good?

Like I assume theyd be better than tv becaise you dont have to deal with lovely pacing and maybe theyd let the better wrestlers like Sami, nakamura, kevin, cody,etc,etc go out and actually put on good matches. I could be wrong though and its the same poo poo youd get watching smackdown without lovely camera cuts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lamuella posted:

There was a World Of Sport wrestler called Leon Arras (the man from Paris). He had one of the best comedy matches of all time against Les Kellett. Real name Brian Glover, he was approached by Ken Loach to play the sports teacher in the film Kes in 1969, which led to a multi-decade acting career that included roles in Jabberwocky, The Great Train Robbery, An American Werewolf In London, The Company Of Wolves, Doctor Who, and Alien 3, and is still regarded as one of the best British actors of the 70s and 80s.

He also recognised how much of a loving nightmare the Alien 3 shoot was for the film's director, who was helming his first ever feature film, and took the time to mentor him through a difficult process. That young director was David Fincher.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Defenestrategy posted:

Like I assume theyd be better than tv becaise you dont have to deal with lovely pacing and maybe theyd let the better wrestlers like Sami, nakamura, kevin, cody,etc,etc go out and actually put on good matches. I could be wrong though and its the same poo poo youd get watching smackdown without lovely camera cuts.

The last one I saw was really great and fun, but that was an International Tour and thus may have had more talent than usual.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

This but I'd want to see an EMLL show in Arena Mexico or Arena Coliseo

poo poo sounds like it'd be incredibly fun in the 70s, even if we don't have any documentary evidence of it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I found the full card from that show:

Quite a little time capsule of what was on a supercard in 1972.

E: per the poster i found, tickets were $5 or $10 depending on the seat lol. Even with inflation thats cheap. Of course a mets ticket in 1972 was $2.50 so idk

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 4, 2022

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

I went to one in 2018 and it was quite a fun show. Then I brought a friend who had never seen wrestling to the one the next year and that show kinda sucked.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

E: per the poster i found, tickets were $5 or $10 depending on the seat lol. Even with inflation thats cheap. Of course a mets ticket in 1972 was $2.50 so idk

"Four Famous Midgets" if they're so famous why weren't they named??

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Defenestrategy posted:

I went to one a while back and had a good time but it was massively helped by the fact that we won floor seats from a local radio station. It was pretty cool to just see wrestling instead of all the extraneous bullshit you get from a TV taping, though this was in like 2016 so who knows what they do now

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"Four Famous Midgets" if they're so famous why weren't they named??

1. They don't need to be you already know who it is

2. This card was like 5 years removed from "5 [poc slur] vs An Orangutan" being the undercard attraction give em a break

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Gorilla Monsoon was billed from Manchuria? lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

projecthalaxy posted:

2. This card was like 5 years removed from "5 [poc slur] vs An Orangutan" being the undercard attraction give em a break
Yeah seeing "Indian Jay Strongbow" and "Girls' Title Match" really drove home how long ago this was

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I cannot even begin to imagine how bad a match with both Lou Albano and Sonny King must have been.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What was the whole rubber band thing with Lou Albano?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

wwwf girls champ

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Cavauro posted:

is there any pics of a wrestling show with a 'big bad beetle borgs' ripoff wrestling on the show? Is there any way to see that.

Flabber wrestled in the main event of WCW Road Wild 1998.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

5 golden rings

3 french hens

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Karma Tornado posted:

5 golden rings

3 french hens

Lol

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What was the whole rubber band thing with Lou Albano?

Dunno how accurate it is, but there's a quote by Apter saying it was a thing where Albano decided to wear rubber bands as facial jewelry until multiple sclerosis was cured. He was really big on that movement

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What is the most hardcore and extreme match that WWF promoted during the New Generation (94-96)? Mankind vs Shawn Michaels? Are there any other examples?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the most hardcore and extreme match that WWF promoted during the New Generation (94-96)? Mankind vs Shawn Michaels? Are there any other examples?

Piper vs Goldust at Wrestlemania 12 is probably the most hardcore.

Notable feats included:
Piper getting hit by a car
Piper hitting Goldust with a bat
Piper busting Goldust open the hardway

I vaguely remember dustin or Bruce Pritchard telling the story of the match and apparently both Piper and Dustin ended up hurting each other pretty bad foreal.

edit: it was Dustin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKgsSqibe0

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 5, 2022

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mr. Fugi

You know, like the famous Japanese mountain, Mt. Fugi.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

What would "no match" mean in this context? Like shenanigans and the match gets called off, or something along those lines?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Gavok posted:

Flabber wrestled in the main event of WCW Road Wild 1998.

I looked up who that is and this is a great goof

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Defenestrategy posted:

Piper vs Goldust at Wrestlemania 12 is probably the most hardcore.

Notable feats included:
Piper getting hit by a car
Piper hitting Goldust with a bat
Piper busting Goldust open the hardway

I vaguely remember dustin or Bruce Pritchard telling the story of the match and apparently both Piper and Dustin ended up hurting each other pretty bad foreal.

edit: it was Dustin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsKgsSqibe0

That was a weird loving match. You had the homophobia, homoeroticism, WWF's crappy attempts at wacky humor with the OJ stuff mixed with an incredibly violent match which seemed more vicious since it was just a backstage pre-tape and yet their murdering each other.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Coming back around to this question I've looked over the various ppv's in this time period and is it off the mark it seems that up and down the card is just nothing matches outside of a few choice matches?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There was an absolute bloodbath between Bulldog and Bret on a IYH, blood all over the mat by the end

Edit:IYH 5

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 5, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Defenestrategy posted:

Coming back around to this question I've looked over the various ppv's in this time period and is it off the mark it seems that up and down the card is just nothing matches outside of a few choice matches?

That is right on the mark.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The New Generation is characterized by an ongoing feeling of stasis and stagnation.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

The New Generation is characterized by an ongoing feeling of stasis and stagnation.

Lex Luger's american bus push lasted 8 weeks but it feels like it was decades of my life. It's like that comic of HHH pinning Booker except every panel is just Luger and that goddamn bus.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Lex Express is fun in a, "wow look at this poo poo" way but I still think the bodyslam contest on the Intrepid is pretty sweet and provides a really cool visual. It looks like a Street Fighter stage.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Why did KAI name his signature/finishing move Meteo Impact (KAI)? Is it a Dragon Ball reference or something?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

The Lex Express is fun in a, "wow look at this poo poo" way but I still think the bodyslam contest on the Intrepid is pretty sweet and provides a really cool visual. It looks like a Street Fighter stage.

The wrestling from that era is bad so stuff like the bodyslam contest is perfect because it's a unique ridiculous spectacle where we can take it all in instead of sitting through bland matches.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Crush should have won it :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There’s a woman in the crowd that thought the same thing. You can hear her screaming “poo poo! poo poo! poo poo!” when he fails.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The wrestling from that era is bad

Hey, that's not fair! In 1993 they had Bret/Perfect, and Jannetty/Michaels, and

uh

*checks notes*

I think the Steiners had a match???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Venomous posted:

I think the Steiners had a match???

With the Harts! On a random WWF comp. Ends in a double... count-out, I think, which does hurt a little. Still, very much worth the watch if you haven't.