Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I needed a pot of coffee to get through the Thin Red Line. Good movie but it requires caffeine to not nod off.

lol i've tried watching it three times and fallen asleep everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Fury kind of irritated me, especially the seen where they engage the Tiger in an open field.

"Knowledge is Power, thankfully I'm a loving moron so I have no power"

I don't get the people who think Ukraine is done for. If we assume that Ukraine is totally exhausted and Russia isn't wouldn't we see sweeping break throughs by Russia as they pound positions without fear of counter battery? At worst it appears both sides aren't able to mount significant offensives and Ukraine has an influx of ammo, weapons, and trained personell that Russia doesn't have incoming.

Is it just wishful and contrary thinking?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

CommieGIR posted:

Fury kind of irritated me, especially the seen where they engage the Tiger in an open field.

Well yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CMEkbHt0fU

Should have just twatted it and rolled on.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1521827892631646209?t=9okbTpyWfg022PYyT-4uFg&s=19

Pope: My brother in Christ, what are you doing?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Look at this dude.

https://twitter.com/kingkong9888/status/1520056354722910210?s=21&t=LQNVEaCeFcwaNhKbAbSYog

Also does Battle LA count? Yes, I know I’ve gone on about it before, but it is a neat synthesis of genres.

Downfall is really well made and acted though, and extremely funny and fun except for like 3 scenes, since it’s non stop Nazi’s ranting and eating poo poo.

Who is this guy? I went to his twitter page and all I learned is that he’s obsessed with gold and bacon so I assume he’s just some rear end in a top hat who still has Ron Paul bumper stickers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Alls I know is that killing a tiger in Steel Division I/II takes about 5 minutes of micromanagement and just about every kind of support card you've got to play.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

This war is like two months old and its outcome is far from determined but it's totally on brand for Scott Ritter to look at something very young and come to some horrible conclusions about it.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who is this guy? I went to his twitter page and all I learned is that he’s obsessed with gold and bacon so I assume he’s just some rear end in a top hat who still has Ron Paul bumper stickers.

Apparently he's a convicted pedophile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McGavin posted:

Yeah he already said he was obsessed with bacon gold and ron paul

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

McGavin posted:

So a libertarian?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

McGavin posted:

Ah, I didn’t notice that Kill Your Parents guy was quoting pedo intel guy.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

He was a UN WMD inspector/whistleblower in Iraq during the 1990s (between the two Gulf Wars) who became extremely discredited when he was arrested and convicted on child molestation charges. Since then he's been a fixture on RT and as time goes on further tankie left and disassociated from reality.

Also you must have been looking at the wrong Scott Ritter since his Twitter account was permabanned for repeated Ukraine-related tomfoolery.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't get the people who think Ukraine is done for . . .

Is it just wishful and contrary thinking?

yes lol

literally these people believe the attack on kiev was a feint and that at any moment russia could either destroy the entire ukrainian army in donbass, or sweep odessa; the only reason they arent is because Putin is holding back for humanitarian reasons since he hopes for negotiations to succeed

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

History’s most successful faints are known to have resulted in the loss of massive amounts of manpower and equipment to achieve a distraction from no main attack in particular.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sounds like a Sicilian move.

Never underestimate a Sicilian

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pantslesswithwolves posted:

This war is like two months old and its outcome is far from determined but it's totally on brand for Scott Ritter to look at something very young and come to some horrible conclusions about it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

yes lol

literally these people believe the attack on kiev was a feint and that at any moment russia could either destroy the entire ukrainian army in donbass, or sweep odessa; the only reason they arent is because Putin is holding back for humanitarian reasons since he hopes for negotiations to succeed

My impression the entire time this war has been going on is that Putin is 100% not interested in a negotiated solution.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

This deserves to be unburied because it's a really good post.

It's a confusing post. Russia is east ukraine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

I'm a little surprised that Tora Tora Tora isn't getting any love.

Edit: vvvv 9888? Was 1488 too on the nose for him?

I'm still trying to get over the Michael Bay :barf: take.

But anyone who hasn't seen Tora Tora Tora really needs to put it on their viewing list. :hai:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

He’s a convicted (more than once) pedophile who falls for police decoy stings online repeatedly.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

He’s a convicted (more than once) pedophile who falls for police decoy stings online repeatedly.

Honestly, that’s the most hilarious part. It was a local cop in PA who was doing this as a side thing (while doing paperwork, but still as a cop) with his regular officer duties. The guy who claimed that the Bush administration was always out to get him and in the end he did not get got by the FBI with the CIA, but a local cop in Monroe County, PA.

quote:

Ritter was arrested again in November 2009 over communications with a police decoy he met on an Internet chat site. Police said that he exposed himself, via a web camera, after the officer repeatedly identified himself as a 15-year-old girl. Ritter said in his own testimony during the trial that he believed the other party was an adult acting out her fantasy. The next month, Ritter waived his right to a preliminary hearing and was released on a $25,000 unsecured bail. Charges included "unlawful contact with a minor, criminal use of a communications facility, corruption of minors, indecent exposure, possessing instruments of crime, criminal attempt and criminal solicitation". Ritter rejected a plea bargain and was found guilty of all but the criminal attempt count in a courtroom in Monroe County, Pennsylvania, on April 14, 2011. In October 2011, he received a sentence of 1½ to 5½ years in prison. He was sent to Laurel Highlands state prison in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, in March 2012 and paroled in September 2014.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
I thought that was Gabe Newell at first.

Gallipoli is worth watching, dark ending though. But that's war.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Someone not me should make a movie thread.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Friendly Fire is an amazing war movie podcast that everyone should listen to. It's awesome.

It might have been half way decent if any of the hosts had any historical knowledge at all about the conflicts the films they talk about depict. As it is, it's painful to listen to because they just get so much stuff wrong. I wanted to like it but just couldn't.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I still have a soft spot for We Were Soldiers

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If any of you sons of bitches calls me grandpa, I'll kill you.

The most memorable part of that movie is the old sgt major

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Crimean Bridge chat.

http://crimeanbridgedown.com.ua/

Taken from here

https://t.me/informnapalm/8282
Machine translation

quote:

😃 Someone bothered and specially created a site with a countdown to the destruction of the Kerch Bridge, which is also called "Crimean".

The authors of the site for some reason believe that May 9 will be a big boom. We can neither confirm nor deny such information, moreover, as we wrote earlier, the big boom with this bridge to announce mobilization planned to make the Russian secret services before the active phase of the invasion. But then this scenario was postponed. Well, let's see if the racists will make a symbolic "arson of their Reichstag" = Kerch Bridge, or other forces will somehow damage this structure of poo poo and branches. Some experts also suggest that on May 9, Putin may announce either full or partial mobilization. We are not used to it, but in Russia the 5th points will start to explode 😏

How could it happen or not, but the idea of ​​the countdown is cool, maybe it will happen like a stamp about a ship and the main thing is to believe and send the thoughts of cities to yuh? What do you think?

@informnapalm

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 4, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's more obscure than most films mentioned, but Japan's Longest Day is an interesting film about the Emperor's decision to surrender and the attempted coup that hardliners attempted to stop it.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I can't watch the scene where the guy gets burned by napalm(I think?). I wouldn't wish burns on my worst enemy.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Crimean Bridge chat.

http://crimeanbridgedown.com.ua/

Taken from here

https://t.me/informnapalm/8282
Machine translation

I've been seeing lots of people talking about a May 9th "end of the war". I am also seeing a large "push" to post things that imply that the US would be incapable of engaging in a conflict due to supply chain issues/Millennials/we are weak/woke something or another.

I assume the two "discussions" are an attempt to lay the groundwork for a Russian withdrawal. I bet that Putin and company have received a report detailing just how bad a shape the "reserves" are in.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's more obscure than most films mentioned, but Japan's Longest Day is an interesting film about the Emperor's decision to surrender and the attempted coup that hardliners attempted to stop it.

The hardliners merely lacked sufficient numbers of gay Nazi samurai writers

Also, They Shall Not Grow Old is very good. As far as I can remember, there’s no maps or dates or names. Just, archival interview recordings with anonymous old Tommies talking about what it was like say-to-day to be a Tommy in WWI

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I watched The Big Red One for the first time recently. Different but very good

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of movies, Das Boot is getting a modern reimagining

https://gcaptain.com/russia-threatens-nato-convoys-with-submarine-stike/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's a more granular question, Who is your favorite character from any war movie or tv show

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Here's a more granular question, Who is your favorite character from any war movie or tv show

Aldo Rayne.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

zoux posted:

The Bear Jew

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look let’s just say everyone from ingorious bastards otherwise it’s like trying to pick which child you love the most.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Captain Parmenter