Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They sold off Hitman ages back.

Squeenix is pretty infamous for treating its western IP poorly with massively unrealistic sales expectations while massively over-investing in Final Fantasy.

This might be apocryphal, but at one point Nintendo wanted to bring to the west one of the DQ remakes (I think 7 for the 3DS? Might be 8) and The House Yoshi P. Keeps The Lights On In threatened to cancel a pile of games including the then-hotly-desired Bravely Default if Nintendo didn't shut their loving mouths right now. The way Square's treated DQ in the west is nothing short of malfeasance, especially considering that when the games do get a decent western release, they *gasp* do loving gangbusters.

(The DQ7 remake did eventually come out in the west much later, toward the end of the 3DSes life)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It is insane though, and likely is due to how many feel FF is solely a western rpg that sells hotcakes here. When instead DQ which does sell amazingly well in Japan is much less gritty but better story wise and has tons of offshoots that sell amazingly here. Like I absolutely adore dq games and play them much more then FF games, and the games do sell well here because they aren't gritty or dark and up their own rear end like alot of FF are. It's some dude that's told he's a hero going around killing things and having a good time stopping evil.

Also no one can ever tell me that dragon quest monsters is not on par with Pokemon, the original two games are absolute classics with tons of replay ability, and tons of concepts that are mental to consider were on an 8 bit mobile game system that were only 8 mb in size.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Neito posted:

This might be apocryphal, but at one point Nintendo wanted to bring to the west one of the DQ remakes (I think 7 for the 3DS? Might be 8) and The House Yoshi P. Keeps The Lights On In threatened to cancel a pile of games including the then-hotly-desired Bravely Default if Nintendo didn't shut their loving mouths right now. The way Square's treated DQ in the west is nothing short of malfeasance, especially considering that when the games do get a decent western release, they *gasp* do loving gangbusters.

(The DQ7 remake did eventually come out in the west much later, toward the end of the 3DSes life)

I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of Japanese devs have really weird ideas about what supposedly appeals to the West still. Also that one Dragon Quest composer is a fascist and a nutjob who refuses to let people listen to any of the music without like, physically attending orchestra concerts in Japan. (Though Nintendo's not much better about this)

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of Japanese devs have really weird ideas about what supposedly appeals to the West still.

Anecdotal, but from personal experience working with Japanese devs for many years, that's still very much the case. What has changed though is that they have broadly recognised and accepted that they don't get it, so they mostly stopped putting in effort to craft games in a way to appeal to that market. If anything, I would bet that this general direction is the true root cause behind selling those studios. As I mentioned earlier, companies going big on AI typically don't close up shop in Montreal, they quadruple their presence.

Nowadays, they mostly just do their own thing and pick, as best they can, titles to export. Doesn't excuse the DQ strategy though.

Despite everything, I maintain a healthy dose of respect for how Squeenix treats mainline FF as a franchise. It takes a lot of guts to choose your flagship series to be the one where you constantly try experimental, off-the-wall, stuff with grandiose ambitions. The end result is often a mess, but they are never phoned-in.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 3, 2022

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Yay! My first Quote != Edit...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solkanar512 posted:

That one outing being that priest, right? Or a different case?
Yup.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I wouldn't be surprised, a lot of Japanese devs have really weird ideas about what supposedly appeals to the West still. Also that one Dragon Quest composer is a fascist and a nutjob who refuses to let people listen to any of the music without like, physically attending orchestra concerts in Japan. (Though Nintendo's not much better about this)

Sugiyama is dead now at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/timmarchman/status/1521477790813597702?s=20&t=4FrBGO8aQaQbLTtdudu3lw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

funkymonks posted:

Sugiyama is dead now at least.

I thought he might be but my memory sucks. Figured there's some copyright bullshit going on.

Aramis posted:

Anecdotal, but from personal experience working with Japanese devs for many years, that's still very much the case. What has changed though is that they have broadly recognised and accepted that they don't get it, so they mostly stopped putting in effort to craft games in a way to appeal to that market. If anything, I would bet that this general direction is the true root cause behind selling those studios. As I mentioned earlier, companies going big on AI typically don't close up shop in Montreal, they quadruple their presence.

Nowadays, they mostly just do their own thing and pick, as best they can, titles to export. Doesn't excuse the DQ strategy though.

Despite everything, I maintain a healthy dose of respect for how Squeenix treats mainline FF as a franchise. It takes a lot of guts to choose your flagship series to be the one where you constantly try experimental, off-the-wall, stuff with grandiose ambitions. The end result is often a mess, but they are never phoned-in.

Makes sense. I think they realised after a while, someone put it 'better to try to sell sushi than to compete with McDonald's for hamburgers' for something along those lines.

Ironically the original release of FFXIV was very much phoned in iirc. But then again, it makes sense- you can get away with experimenting with your flagship series, because you have a built in fanatical audience who'll play it and give you feedback, and you can work with that.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

^
but they have punisher skull face masks?

I mean its a balaclava / skimask so its not going to stop Roni particles and will be hot as gently caress and if its not winter, lol at wearing it.

Perhaps Games Workshop could make bank licensing spess mehren themed respirator helmets.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironically the original release of FFXIV was very much phoned in iirc. But then again, it makes sense- you can get away with experimenting with your flagship series, because you have a built in fanatical audience who'll play it and give you feedback, and you can work with that.

That`s really unusual though. Most publishers are generally not willing to rock the boat with their cash cows. Part of it is lazyness (i.e. why put in effort if the sales are guaranteed), but a big part of it is risk aversion. EA simply cannot afford an unprofitable Fifa, Activision would be in big trouble if a CoD tanked, etc... Obviously, this is a problem that mostly affects publicly traded publishers.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 4, 2022

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh no, it wasn't phoned it. It was ludicrously high effort awful lol. Massive workflow and priority problems, a complete misunderstanding of what people wanted in an mmo, and a New World-esque lack of competence with the sort of skeleton a modern MMO needed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

fool of sound posted:

Oh no, it wasn't phoned it. It was ludicrously high effort awful lol. Massive workflow and priority problems, a complete misunderstanding of what people wanted in an mmo, and a New World-esque lack of competence with the sort of skeleton a modern MMO needed.

Fair enough. Ironically they already went through all this with FFXI and apparently learned nothing.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fair enough. Ironically they already went through all this with FFXI and apparently learned nothing.

So much time spent on that game. It was an awful mess of continuity. It was nigh unplayable without Alakazzam. It took years for people to figure out the main story line quests. The net code being completely based around PS2 sure didn't help.

The translator though, that thing was glorious [Galka][sausage][Party!]

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So combined with the info that fertility/period tracker data is being sold to law enforcement, would it make sense for folks of any gender to download these apps and start inputting fake data?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
No, because there's a ton of other tracking poo poo that goes on under the hood. Going from a duckduckgo's anti tracker beta feature, apps ask for a ton of side/meta info

The only winning move is to not have the app at all and maybe just have old fashion pen and paper. Also do some digital spring cleaning, delete things you havent used in a while, dont need, etc etc.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Clarste posted:

I mean, afaik they keep losing money on all these other games while supporting themselves with FFXIV, so it's just good business sense to cut off the unnecessary parts that are bleeding money?

If you look at the history of Square, it's a history of making absolutely boneheaded decisions only to be saved from bankruptcy at the last minute by a world famous game pulled from their rear end. So this is totally normal for them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

golden bubble posted:

If you look at the history of Square, it's a history of making absolutely boneheaded decisions only to be saved from bankruptcy at the last minute by a world famous game pulled from their rear end. So this is totally normal for them.

The Dodge-Chrysler of game developers

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

One thing that might help would be to make it illegal for firms like SafeGraph to sell this kind of potential PII to anyone who wants it no questions asked.

On the other hand, it seems like this kind of aggregate location data is necessary for the CDC to evaluate the effectiveness of lockdowns, no? It seems like the CDC should be collecting data directly.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it was kind of like that article awhile back where some guy was incredibly horrified at China's hellstate during early Covid. You see, you had to have an app on your phone and scan it when taking a cab or going into a store so that they could trace outbreaks.

"Yeah, could you imagine?" I say, as Google asks me to review a store I walked inside a few days ago or my phone successfully guesses where I'm going and offers traffic alerts, or well, all the other stuff we talk about in this thread :shrug:.

It reminded me of the news that you could just pull anyone's geolocation through a bounty hunter if you had $300. https://www.vice.com/en/article/nepxbz/i-gave-a-bounty-hunter-300-dollars-located-phone-microbilt-zumigo-tmobile

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Apparently Bill Gates has been shorting a half billion of Tesla stock and it made Elon livid.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why is Elon so bratty and dumb?

quote:

Elon Musk said that if his deal to buy Twitter closes he would “reverse the permanent ban” and let former President Donald J. Trump back onto the social network, undoing the social network’s decision after Mr. Trump’s tweets about the riots at the U.S. Capitol last year.

“I do think it was not correct to ban Donald Trump, I think that was a mistake, because it alienated a large part of the country, and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice,” Mr. Musk said at a Financial Times conference on Tuesday.

Twitter, along with other platforms including Facebook, barred Mr. Trump from tweeting in the wake of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol building. Twitter said at the time that Mr. Trump had violated policies and risked inciting violence among his supporters. Facebook banned Mr. Trump for similar reasons.

Mr. Musk called the decision to ban Mr. Trump “morally wrong and flat-out stupid.” He said individual posts to Twitter could be hidden, and that individuals could still be temporarily suspended “if they say something that is illegal or otherwise just, you know, destructive to the world.” But he said that “permanent bans just fundamentally undermine trust in Twitter.”

Mr. Musk, who leads the electric carmaker Tesla and the rocket company SpaceX, is in the process of completing a takeover bid for Twitter, which accepted his $44 billion offer last month. The acquisition is expected to close over the next three to six months.

He had avoided spelling out publicly how he would handle the status of Mr. Trump’s ban. But he had repeatedly stated his intentions to expand free speech on the platform and has suggested that Twitter has hewed to Democratic politics.

Mr. Trump said in an interview with Fox News in late April that he would not rejoin the platform, even if Mr. Musk lifted the ban. “I am not going on Twitter, I am going to stay on Truth,” he said at the time, referring to his app, Truth Social.

:barf:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh yeah here's my surprised face.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol if musk is faux buying Twitter to boost Tesla stock

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Last I saw it seemed to be having the opposite effect. Tesla stock is down 18% over the last month

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I’m okay with Twitter being “ruined” to the extent that all the reporters stop using it as an extension of their jobs. Unbanning Donny doesn’t really do that because they were still there when he was posting, but just make it a place nobody is willing to share anything in secret so the reporters don’t trust it as much as they used to, and that’s great.

It’s like they never learned anything from the reveal/shutdown of JournoList, or it’s just been too long since then.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

He does that thing where he sells shares to pickup more shares and then pay taxes on the shares being sold, so It’s probably to have some incompetent business he likes whose losses cut his tax bill to zero. He’d rather see his money spent on shitposts than healthcare and education. Those ideas don’t stimulate the Overgrown Ten-Year-Old part of his brain like a platform where nuanced discussion is discouraged and people post wojak faces as an alternative to thoughtful communication.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 10, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Tarezax posted:

Last I saw it seemed to be having the opposite effect. Tesla stock is down 18% over the last month

Uh oh. I hope Elon makes out OK.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Craptacular! posted:

I’m okay with Twitter being “ruined” to the extent that all the reporters stop using it as an extension of their jobs. Unbanning Donny doesn’t really do that because they were still there when he was posting, but just make it a place nobody is willing to share anything in secret so the reporters don’t trust it as much as they used to, and that’s great.

It’s like they never learned anything from the reveal/shutdown of JournoList, or it’s just been too long since then.

Journalism has already been irreparably destroyed, it's entirely the domain of catty failchildren now.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

quote:

Elon Musk said that if his deal to buy Twitter closes he would “reverse the permanent ban” and let former President Donald J. Trump back onto the social network, undoing the social network’s decision after Mr. Trump’s tweets about the riots at the U.S. Capitol last year.

“I do think it was not correct to ban Donald Trump, I think that was a mistake, because it alienated a large part of the country, and did not ultimately result in Donald Trump not having a voice,” Mr. Musk said at a Financial Times conference on Tuesday.

Twitter, along with other platforms including Facebook, barred Mr. Trump from tweeting in the wake of the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol building. Twitter said at the time that Mr. Trump had violated policies and risked inciting violence among his supporters. Facebook banned Mr. Trump for similar reasons.

Mr. Musk called the decision to ban Mr. Trump “morally wrong and flat-out stupid.” He said individual posts to Twitter could be hidden, and that individuals could still be temporarily suspended “if they say something that is illegal or otherwise just, you know, destructive to the world.” But he said that “permanent bans just fundamentally undermine trust in Twitter.”

Mr. Musk, who leads the electric carmaker Tesla and the rocket company SpaceX, is in the process of completing a takeover bid for Twitter, which accepted his $44 billion offer last month. The acquisition is expected to close over the next three to six months.

He had avoided spelling out publicly how he would handle the status of Mr. Trump’s ban. But he had repeatedly stated his intentions to expand free speech on the platform and has suggested that Twitter has hewed to Democratic politics.

Mr. Trump said in an interview with Fox News in late April that he would not rejoin the platform, even if Mr. Musk lifted the ban. “I am not going on Twitter, I am going to stay on Truth,” he said at the time, referring to his app, Truth Social.

This has got to score amongst some of the dumbest things I've seen in a long while. Everything about this is so very dumb, inconsistent, and transparently corrupted. It infuriates me to no end that this man maintains such widespread public support amongst :airquote:smart:airquote: people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Aramis posted:

This has got to score amongst some of the dumbest things I've seen in a long while. Everything about this is so very dumb, inconsistent, and transparently corrupted. It infuriates me to no end that this man maintains such widespread public support amongst :airquote:smart:airquote: people.

*******Stomper1488 would like to thank musk for replatforming him after Somethingabduls cancel culture of 2004 got to him

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'd absolutely take Twitter as a virtual public square that does not ban anyone, provided the algorithms that recommend certain content to certain people were entirely removed.

I've quit using Twitter on a personal level and now only manage (very loosely) a few corporate accounts, and... the poo poo that gets recommended to you when you're basically inactive, is absolutely dire. Ideally we'd get rid of that and also assholes like Trump, but if I have to pick one or the other: let Trump shout his loving bullshit into the void, but don't allow him to [paid] promote himself and don't recommend any of his, or anyone else's, bullshit to anyone.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does Twitter even make money?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Does Twitter even make money?

Yes but not as much as it ostensibly should given its userbase.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I pray that Musk destroys Twitter utterly but it's absolutely going to become way more popular once Trump is unbanned and thus shall remain the primary source of evidence that not a single member of the commentariat can be assumed to be anything but a stupid as poo poo talking head, because god knows none of them are going to be taking any bold stands

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"If." Musk just wants people to talk about him, he doesn't wany to actually expend money buying Twitter. The deal will never close.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Lone Badger posted:

"If." Musk just wants people to talk about him, he doesn't wany to actually expend money buying Twitter. The deal will never close.
I think that uncertainty is just as damaging to the company so that is a good outcome as far as I'm concerned.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

"If." Musk just wants people to talk about him, he doesn't want to actually expend money buying Twitter. The deal will never close.

Every fiber of my being wants to agree with this, but let's face it, that's normalcy bias at play.

"The GOP won't actually nominate Trump"
"Roe v. Wade is too useful as a political tool to actually repeal"
"Trump won't resort to physical violence to overturn the election"

"It's probable that <powerful hypocrite(s)> won't actually go through with <thing>" just doesn't hold much water in general.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’d argue musk bringing trump back to twitter is about the best thing that could happen to the democrats’ chances in november so in an ends-justify-the-means way, i’m for this. yes, it would be insufferable, but that’s what we want if we want more dems in government.

it would also fit with musk’s consistent pattern of wanting x, attempting to get x, and coming up with 1/x. everything this guy wants and acts on solo hilariously backfires so i don’t see why this would differ.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i’d argue musk bringing trump back to twitter is about the best thing that could happen to the democrats’ chances in november so in an ends-justify-the-means way, i’m for this. yes, it would be insufferable, but that’s what we want if we want more dems in government.

We've been through that exact same thing during the run-up to the 2016 election. Platforming and promoting Trump as the avatar of the GOP in an effort to scare "reasonable" voters away from the madness does not work.

There is no way this could possibly be good for democrats.

abelwingnut posted:

it would also fit with musk’s consistent pattern of wanting x, attempting to get x, and coming up with 1/x. everything this guy wants and acts on solo hilariously backfires so i don’t see why this would differ.

Oh, backfire this most likely will. But as usual, Musk will probably see no negative repercussions, at least as far as public perception goes. This is the man who managed to go through that submarine nonsense unscathed. The benefit of the doubt he gets is bonkers.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Cheesus posted:

I think that uncertainty is just as damaging to the company so that is a good outcome as far as I'm concerned.

Employees are already bailing right and left and morale at the company is at an all-time low. Even if Musk doesn’t buy Twitter, the damage will already have been done.