Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What was the first SaGa with battle rank? FF2 and FFL1/2 had fixed encounter lists like most FF games.

Battle rank is basically a hidden level that is meant to correlate to your strength thus it was used to amplify encounters as you got more powerful. It can amplify to a point that random encounters get harder than boss encounters if you do something weird and results in the internet idea "you shouldn't grind in SaGa games" which is a half truth. They are often expecting you to grind just so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

romancing saga 1 (snes and the ps2 remake) was the first with battle and event rank

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Ahh, I see. I was doing the typical "fight everything you encounter" thing in FFL1 and it was working pretty well up until Su-Zaku which at that point I really felt like I had to go grind out some gold for better weapons and gear.

In retrospect though, the actual boss fight wasn't hard and my main character solo'd it while the rest of the party was dead, so maybe there's something to be said for just straight out smarter tactical decisions in the random battles I do get into, because there were definitely times where I figured I could just hammer a mob with something that hits the whole pack instead of opting to make use of the enemy targeting and have someone defend, and as a result I would see characters just drop from half health due to a single attack that I didn't account for.

I also had ridicuously bad... RNG? with the Mutant/Esper spells and only got barrier and ESP throughout most of the game for that character. The party was two Humans, a Mutant, and a Monster. Monster stuff was a balance of annoyance and excitement, but I dug it since their skill uses regen after resting so it was an overall save on resources. I kinda hope they evolve that whole system out in the later games if it still exists by then.

Overall though it sounds like I should continue to do what I was originally doing, just fight things as they come, and maybe try to make better defensive decisions and plan that out ahead of time. Thanks!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Can anybody tell me if this is a bug and if so, was it in base FFVII or is it something from the mod?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Gy5TsO0u0

Mimed 2X or 4X Cut does at least twice if not more the damage. It is specifically with the Conformer, I tried it out with different weapons on both of them. I know poo poo about coding video games but I'd guess it has to do with the Conformer's unique nature.

Maybe this is a well-known glitch, I've never been super in the know on FFVII's gameplay. But man, Yuffie with the Conformer has always been great in my eyes, now she's broken to all Hell . I won't be doing this anymore, though. Totally defeats the point.

Which reminds me, so many people complain about the lack of saves in FF3D's final dungeon....what about FF7? I know, I know, by this point in the game even babby players are probably laughing at random encounters but it's a decently long dungeon and that single Save Crystal should obviously be saved for the very end.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I strangely can’t remember anything about the final FF7 dungeon other than Cloud finish Sephiroth with Omnislash, then going back in and finishing Sephiroth again with Omnislash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

jokes posted:

I strangely can’t remember anything about the final FF7 dungeon other than Cloud finish Sephiroth with Omnislash, then going back in and finishing Sephiroth again with Omnislash

The music owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mu_EMvv6qU

I did not recall this song being anything special until my more recent replays. I adore it now.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

Can anybody tell me if this is a bug and if so, was it in base FFVII or is it something from the mod?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Gy5TsO0u0

Mimed 2X or 4X Cut does at least twice if not more the damage. It is specifically with the Conformer, I tried it out with different weapons on both of them. I know poo poo about coding video games but I'd guess it has to do with the Conformer's unique nature.

Maybe this is a well-known glitch, I've never been super in the know on FFVII's gameplay. But man, Yuffie with the Conformer has always been great in my eyes, now she's broken to all Hell . I won't be doing this anymore, though. Totally defeats the point.

Which reminds me, so many people complain about the lack of saves in FF3D's final dungeon....what about FF7? I know, I know, by this point in the game even babby players are probably laughing at random encounters but it's a decently long dungeon and that single Save Crystal should obviously be saved for the very end.

I booted up vanilla FF7 to try this out and it's odd, 4x cut with the Conformer seems to do the same damage whether it is mimed or if Yuffie herself has 4x cut. Could be something caused by the mod if it messed with the Conformer's damage formula, maybe changes that were made aren't taking effect when mimed or something like that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I know Yuffie was the best for using Morph, I think, because the Conformer ignored the damage reduction of the move and so it did full damage. So clearly Conformer does have its own damage formula that messed with at least some stuff in Vanilla.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

dracula vladdy AF posted:

I booted up vanilla FF7 to try this out and it's odd, 4x cut with the Conformer seems to do the same damage whether it is mimed or if Yuffie herself has 4x cut. Could be something caused by the mod if it messed with the Conformer's damage formula, maybe changes that were made aren't taking effect when mimed or something like that.

I didn't think to give her Double Cut because that goes against my little class challenge but just to experiment, I gave it to her and you're right. It's not about Mime at all but rather Conformer + Double Cut results in her doing ridiculous damage, way more than she should be capable of doing. Again I'm not sure if this is a mod thing or in base game.

EDIT:

Okay...her normal physical attack just does that much damage now... I don't know why, it never has before now.... Weird.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 4, 2022

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I didn't think to give her Double Cut because that goes against my little class challenge but just to experiment, I gave it to her and you're right. It's not about Mime at all but rather Conformer + Double Cut results in her doing ridiculous damage, way more than she should be capable of doing. Again I'm not sure if this is a mod thing or in base game.

EDIT:

Okay...her normal physical attack just does that much damage now... I don't know why, it never has before now.... Weird.

Probably just general fuckery with the Conformer's weird damage formula. Might also have a big jump if the enemies in the end game have higher levels than they would in the base game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

zedprime posted:

What was the first SaGa with battle rank? FF2 and FFL1/2 had fixed encounter lists like most FF games.

Battle rank is basically a hidden level that is meant to correlate to your strength thus it was used to amplify encounters as you got more powerful. It can amplify to a point that random encounters get harder than boss encounters if you do something weird and results in the internet idea "you shouldn't grind in SaGa games" which is a half truth. They are often expecting you to grind just so.

For an example of how you can grind in SaGa games, there's the Bio Research Lab in SaGa Frontier.

For anyone unfamiliar, the Bio Research Lab has random encounters that are always two ranks above your battle rank. This means they tend to be tough, but it also means that your characters are more likely to learn skills and increase their stats from those battles. Any battle you fight in the Bio Research Lab is worth more than a battle fought in most places outside of it, and that means that, while grinding in there will raise your battle rank, your characters' growth will outpace that. It's like training with weights on and then taking the weights off when you go out into most of the rest of the game.

(I may or may not have done enough grinding through my NG+ cycles of the remaster that I nearly maxed out Blue's physical stats and taught him Lifesprinkler and the DSC.)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

more DBE for vladdy: to make sure, is there meant to be a chest with the Mage Masher in the Ice Cavern still?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
IIRC, yes. I think I left it like that to ensure that the player would have at least two by the time they got to Lindblum. Honestly part of the reason I opted for the Mage Masher initial equip was because in regular FF9, the regular Dagger only stays equipped for like a single battle since a Mage Masher can be immediately stolen from Baku (which, I assume, most people wind up doing) so I figured I'd just cut out the middle man and find a way to repurpose the Dagger. Kind of wish I did it a bit differently in retrospect but it is what it is.

Also I'm working on a small update that probably won't be out until tomorrow evening, long story short I noticed a small but awkward bug during the Black Waltz 2 boss fight that shouldn't be there and I've taken the time to tidy up some things that I've noticed over the past several days. The Black Waltz thing isn't necessarily a show stopper, but there's some unintended behavior there, one part of it is harder than it's meant to be.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

IIRC, yes. I think I left it like that to ensure that the player would have at least two by the time they got to Lindblum. Honestly part of the reason I opted for the Mage Masher initial equip was because in regular FF9, the regular Dagger only stays equipped for like a single battle since a Mage Masher can be immediately stolen from Baku (which, I assume, most people wind up doing) so I figured I'd just cut out the middle man and find a way to repurpose the Dagger. Kind of wish I did it a bit differently in retrospect but it is what it is.

Also I'm working on a small update that probably won't be out until tomorrow evening, long story short I noticed a small but awkward bug during the Black Waltz 2 boss fight that shouldn't be there and I've taken the time to tidy up some things that I've noticed over the past several days. The Black Waltz thing isn't necessarily a show stopper, but there's some unintended behavior there, one part of it is harder than it's meant to be.

I figured that may exactly be the case for the Mage Masher, but I wanted to make sure. I'm paranoid now!

roger, I'll wait for that. I just stopped short of Dali, so good timing

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I would be down for an FF game in this style

https://youtu.be/QxI_9uaSN84

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lastdancer posted:

Ahh, I see. I was doing the typical "fight everything you encounter" thing in FFL1 and it was working pretty well up until Su-Zaku which at that point I really felt like I had to go grind out some gold for better weapons and gear.

In retrospect though, the actual boss fight wasn't hard and my main character solo'd it while the rest of the party was dead, so maybe there's something to be said for just straight out smarter tactical decisions in the random battles I do get into, because there were definitely times where I figured I could just hammer a mob with something that hits the whole pack instead of opting to make use of the enemy targeting and have someone defend, and as a result I would see characters just drop from half health due to a single attack that I didn't account for.

I also had ridicuously bad... RNG? with the Mutant/Esper spells and only got barrier and ESP throughout most of the game for that character. The party was two Humans, a Mutant, and a Monster. Monster stuff was a balance of annoyance and excitement, but I dug it since their skill uses regen after resting so it was an overall save on resources. I kinda hope they evolve that whole system out in the later games if it still exists by then.

Overall though it sounds like I should continue to do what I was originally doing, just fight things as they come, and maybe try to make better defensive decisions and plan that out ahead of time. Thanks!

The RNG's a big part of it; surprising amounts of what changes are deterministic, since like most early Square games the "RNG" is actually a hardcoded table of 256 numbers stepped through sequentially (actually pretty reasonable at the time,) but it produces satisfactorily unpredictable results for how big gains are and that means that you can end up with a lot of 1s on that 1-5 range. (It's also truly "random" in the sense that there is no keying to actions in battle; whether you cast Flare while staying untouched or swing a 🗡️LONG while getting beat on, you're gaining 10-15 HP 34/256 of the time, 1-5 Mana 30/256, 1-5 Agi or Str 18/256 each, and 1-3 Def 8/256. FFL2 actually watches what you do in fights, and applies it to Humans and Mutants alike.)

Incidentally, given gold equivalences of 150GP per Str/Agi (AGILITY and STRONG each cost 300 and give 2), ~9.5 for HP from 20 to 200, ~95.2 for HP from 201 to 400, and 100 per HP from 401+, we can calculate:
Floor 1¹: Expected value of ((34/256)*9.5*12.5) + ((30/256)*150*3)² + ((36/256)*150*3) + ((8/256)*35*1.5)³
= 15.77 + 52 + 63 + 1.64
= 132.41 GPE per Mutant
= Mutants scale faster at 3 or fewer enemies per fight per Human
= Minimum GPE bound 52.52, or only faster than one enemy per fight per Human; maximum GPE bound 215.98 or faster than 5 enemies per fight per human
¹ Expecting HP<200 and 40 GP per kill
² Valuing Mana equal to Str/Agi as scaling is similar; this oversells Mutants as they hard cap at 99 (level DOWN to it if the leveling routine is called and they're over, if they say have 99 base Str and then equip 🥊GIANT)
³ Valuing Armor by the equivalent of 👕GOLD/🪖BRONZE/🥊GOLD, 490 GP for 14 Def; this does undersell Mutants as they aren't capped by store selection or inventory slots

Floor 5⁴: Expected value of ((34/256)*95.2*12.5) + ((30/256)*150*3) + ((36/256)*150*3) + ((8/256)*130.2*1.5)⁵
= 158.04 + 52 + 63 + 6.10 = 279.14 GPE per Mutant
= Mutants scale faster at 2 or fewer enemies per fight per Human
= Minimum GPE bound 169.17, or only faster than one enemy per fight per Human; maximum GPE bound 395.23 or faster than 3 enemies per fight per human
⁴ Expecting 200<HP<400 and 120 GP per kill
⁵ Valuing Armor by the equivalent of selling the old gear and buying 👕SILVER/🪖SILVER/🥊SILVER, net 3255 GP for 25 Def

Floor 10⁶: Expected value of ((34/256)*95.2*12.5) + ((30/256)*150*3) + ((36/256)*150*3) + ((8/256)*318.18*1.5)⁷
= 158.04 + 52 + 63 + 14.91 = 287.95 GPE per Mutant
= Here, Mutants are just coasting off their previous advantage. Only a party of 4 Humans sharing the gold from a single critter scales slower than a party of 4 Mutants does on average.
= Minimum GPE bound 175.37, or even worse than all Humans in famine RNG; maximum GPE bound only 412.85 so in a 2 Human/2 Mutant party the Mutants will begin to fall behind even with only single foes.
⁶ Expecting 200<HP<400 and 900 GP per kill
⁷ Valuing Armor by the equivalent of selling or keeping the old gear and ending up with 👕DRAGON/🪖SILVER/🥊GIANT, net 10500 GP for 33 Def after factoring out 🥊GIANT's Str

Floor 16⁸: Expected value of ((34/256)*100*12.5) + ((30/256)*150*3) + ((36/256)*150*3) + ((8/256)*401.04*1.5)⁹
= 166.02¹⁰ + 52 + 63 + 18.8
= 299.82 GPE per Mutant
= Oof. Each monster drops 700 more gold, each battle is only worth 12 more gold for Mutants.
= Minimum GPE bound a truly execrable 260.35; maximum GPE bound only 351.82. You literally grow slower at this point with all Mutants rolling max every time they roll a gain than with all Humans splitting single targets' drops; even doing super heavy RNG manipulation to guarantee a max gain every fight your GPE is only 833.94, or four TAS Mutants growing slightly better than four Humans only if the TAS also maxes encounters at two monsters.
⁸ Expecting HP>400 and 1600 GP per kill
⁹ Valuing Armor by the equivalent of selling or keeping the old gear and ending up with 👕SUIT/🪖ARMY/🥊GIANT, net 19250 GP for 48 Def after factoring out 🥊GIANT's Str
¹⁰ HP200s at 100GP for a guaranteed 1HP is a far better value than HP600s at 5000GP for 1-20, which also hurts the Mutant. GPE of a single point of HP is 476.19 if you're rolling flush or your thumb hurts, making Mutant GPE gains per fight a slightly less terrible 790.54.

True Tower¹¹: Expected value of ((34/256)*100*12.5) + ((30/256)*150*3) + ((36/256)*150*3) + ((8/256)*1157.14*1.5)¹²
= 166.02 + 52 + 63 + 54.24
= 335.26 GPE per Mutant
= Stop, they're already dead. At least you can afford a ♥ per battle, though it's worth a lot less than 100 HP or 66 (!two-thirds of the displayed scale, and competitive with an endgame Monster's offstat!) of your chosen offensive stat
¹¹ Expecting HP>400 and 2000 GP per kill
¹² Valuing Armor by the equivalent of selling or keeping the old gear and ending up with 👕POWER, net 81000 GP for 70 Def after factoring out 👕POWER's 10 to all offensive stats (which a properly trained Mutant actually levels down from :rip:)

On top of that, Humans can be pumped for the gear they have, while Mutants you've just gotta hope. Realistically at least one of the offensive stats is useless on any given Mutant, with only Mana worth much in the lategame where they can afford to always be casting. You can have bad RNG become obvious on Floor 16, but it's also where Mutant falls off a cliff compared to just hitting up the friendly 'roids-dealing lizard in town and they become solely for clearing big packs even though big packs give Humans better gains.
And with a bit of systems knowledge a Human can be pumped to 32767¹³/255/255/10/70; it doesn't SHOW the stat going up and you can gently caress up and overflow, but it works.

tl;dr if you're not doing super heavy RNG manipulation Mutants are just there to do waveclear and pave Humans' path to becoming living gods somewhere around where Bob clogged the toilet.

¹³ Woo boy I went debugging to confirm this and found some wacky poo poo, only some of which was my fault.
Before I even experimented with HP, I had to hack myself some gold to spend on HP200s to change my max HP so I could find it from amid the other 60s, right? Well. The least significant byte is at at CC8F, for what it's worth, which is fine.
What's very not fine is that it's not stored as a normal number, little-endian hex. It's stored big-endian with the hex value interpreted as a decimal value. If you want 255GP, you don't change CC8F to 0xFF that gives you FF GP (empirically, buying a 🗡️RAPIER for 24GP leaves you with... DB GP; if you have a decimal gold total prices are in decimal but if you have a hex gold total that price is hiked to a hex value and you pay 0x24 :psypop: A fun side effect of this is that 0xDB GP, even though it's decimal 219, is not enough to afford a 100GP HP200.)
If you actually want 255GP, you change CC8E to 0x02 0x55.
Anyway, I found it, and set my current (word at CC06) and max (word at CC08) HP to 0xFFFF. It displayed... as fine as it gets at 999/999, but one hit from a Lizard in the fields instagibbed me.
All right, time to find Def for slot 1. It's a byte at CC0C, makes sense. So back into the field, 60/65535 HP and 255 Def. No damage from a Lizard, as expected. Make my Def normal again... Still no damage. Character stats get copied off to a scratchpad somewhere else in a fight; I supposed that makes sense it's less complex to just keep a scratch copy to apply buffs to than remember what buffs are on, then unapply them later.
Take 18 damage from an Albatross, 42/"999". So far all is as planned, and simply having 65535 max HP doesn't gently caress you.
65535/65535 HP, 255 Def. No damage from a Lizard. So taking 0 damage skips evaluating for death.
Finally, set dword at CC06 to 0x7FFFFFFF: that is, current HP to 32767 and max HP to 65535. Took 8 damage. ... Died? The gently caress?
... Let's go to town and check inn prices.
0xFFFF/0xFFFF, that's 0b1111111111111111 for each, costs 0GP to stay at inn. Stay and it's unchanged.
0x7FFF/0xFFFF, 0b0111111111111111 for current, (remember, this still had a wonky signed/unsigned issue) costs 128GP to stay at inn. Stay and you're back at 0xFFFF.
0x3FFF/, 0b0011111111111111 for current, costs... 192GP? And I'm still dying to any attack not specifically passed to the "No damage" handler.
0x1FFF/, 0b0001111111111111 for current, costs... 224GP. Aha! The price of an inn stay at truly unexpected HP values increases by the missing amount from the upper
--no wait you idiot, it's little-endian. You were changing the lower byte, giving yourself 65407, then 65343, then 65311 HP. The innkeeper was right. Those numbers were wrong.

Try 2. 0x7FFF current HP, written properly little-endian as 0xFF 0x7F and being actually 0b0111111111111111 rather than 0b1111111101111111. Innkeeper wants 32768GP, a success!
Lizard attacks for 10 damage! I don't die! Another success! (Incidentally, this at least displays "properly": a character with "999" HP that is actually 32767, after taking 10 damage, still has "999" HP.)
Look at the debugger because the proper display tells me nothing, CC06 = 0xF5 CC07 = 0x7F! That "999" is now actually 32757!

Now for the big test: What happens if I drink an HP200 when my max HP is 0x7FFF? I chug, and CC07 becomes 0x00, CC08 becomes 0x80. So 32768 max HP. Go to the inn, 1HP to go from 32767 to 32768, as expected. Back outside... do not die what the poo poo.
... And what happens if I give myself 65534 HP? Death happens.
All right, last test: I'm taking 5-10 damage a hit, so 32775. 12 damage from a Goblin, I survive. Now remember, the game is just reading prerolled random numbers off one at a time, so my next fight will always be a single Goblin that will hit second for 12 damage: I give myself 32780 HP, and as expected I croak.
HP is stored unsigned, but the function which applies damage and checks for death treats it as signed and kills negative HPs. This makes the actual max HP value 65535, if you fancy buying and drinking nearly 65,000 HP200s, but all characters over 32767 HP will die to any damage. Hope you kept careful count and drank exactly 32,167 while building up from 600, or you're going to have to drink 32768 more to ever use that character again!

Other fun: Character stat blocks are, for whatever reason, 31 rather than 32 bytes; CC00-CC1E, CC1F-CC3D, CC3E-CC5C, CC5D-CC7B. Format is:
code:
00: Status byte. Bottom to top, Dead, Stone, Curse, Blind, Poison, Confused, Paralyzed, Asleep.
01-04: Name
05: Type (Leader Human Male: 0xB1, Human Female: 0xAE, Mutant Male: 0xAF, ...?) This includes the names and sprites of Monsters you can't normally recruit, but it's not very fun as it doesn't come with their stat blocks; 0xA0 gives KINGSWRD but it's just the same stats from before the edit. This does not affect ability learning; a Mutant Male recruited and edited to 0xAE here but with byte 0A untouched still can't use stat items and still does learn skills.
06-07: Current HP
08-09: Max HP
0A: Some compound status block; in particular a normal Human is 0x83 0b10000011, a normal Mutant is 0x23 0b00100011. Changing a Human's to a Mutant's gives them stat growth after battle but prevents them from using stat items. Changing it to 0b10100011... Allows them to use items but turns off the stat gains so there's some protection here sadly. And the lowest bits appear to be Heart count; I killed off that character and on revival they were now 0b10100010. But wait, bit 8 is Human flag, bit 6 is Mutant flag, I bet bit 7 is... Yep. Human with status 0x43 ate a Zombie and turned into a Goblin, even though byte 05 is what makes them Human. I wonder if they have an explicit Monster class entry somewhere or if that's just handled with bitwise math. So, top to bottom: IS_HUMAN, IS_MONSTER, IS_MUTANT, and what appears to be 5 bits of room for HEARTS (starts wrapping in the formation screen, not gonna go int 30 times to see if they go away as predicted.)
0B: Strength
0C: Defense
0D: Agility
0E: Mana
0F: Slot 1 item; 0xFE is empty Mutant ability slot
10: Slot 1 uses; 0xFE is infinite uses (doesn't decrement), 0xFD and down work as expected (display as 99 if 100~253)
"" through all 8 slots

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 4, 2022

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Mandoric posted:

On top of that, Humans can be pumped for the gear they have, while Mutants you've just gotta hope. Realistically at least one of the offensive stats is useless on any given Mutant, with only Mana worth much in the lategame where they can afford to always be casting. You can have bad RNG become obvious on Floor 16, but it's also where Mutant falls off a cliff compared to just hitting up the friendly 'roids-dealing lizard in town and they become solely for clearing big packs even though big packs give Humans better gains.
And with a bit of systems knowledge a Human can be pumped to 32767¹³/255/255/10/70; it doesn't SHOW the stat going up and you can gently caress up and overflow, but it works.

tl;dr if you're not doing super heavy RNG manipulation Mutants are just there to do waveclear and pave Humans' path to becoming living gods somewhere around where Bob clogged the toilet.

That's pretty much the conclusion I ended up coming to for that fourth world and just kept spellbooks on the mutant and used ESP or Barrier to conserve those uses where it wasn't necessary. I did find out about the stats overflow but felt like going to 999 on one character with HP200 was... more than enough! I actually was curious about if the Mutant level ups handled the overflow so that was good to confirm. I love that you dug into the data for all of that :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

That would be a ton of help, thank you

More bug hunting: I've noticed between saving my game last and loading up the same file the party's gained just over 2000 gil. So the save file says 8800 (which was correct when I closed the game) and on loading it's at 10250. Still in the evil forest, about to go rescue Garnet

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Platinum's best game was Vanquish :colbert:

Revengeance is a close 2nd though

:hmmyes:

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

No Dignity posted:

More bug hunting: I've noticed between saving my game last and loading up the same file the party's gained just over 2000 gil. So the save file says 8800 (which was correct when I closed the game) and on loading it's at 10250. Still in the evil forest, about to go rescue Garnet

I... huh. I will try to replicate that when I get home. I have a hunch that might be a more fundamental bug with either FF9 or Memoria since I don't think that any changes I made could do something like that.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

No Dignity posted:

you only had 8,800? I got 10,000 for getting 100/100 audience members

it could be I loaded my save and it gave me the erroneous items then

e: I guess you could have bought items from Cinna. do you think you could have had 10,250 total before buying items?

grieving for Gandalf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 4, 2022

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you only had 8,800? I got 10,000 for getting 100/100 audience members

it could be I loaded my save and it gave me the erroneous items then

I spent some of it : P

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I spent some of it : P

lol I rethought that after posting. could 10,250 be related to how much you had pre-shopping?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

lol I rethought that after posting. could 10,250 be related to how much you had pre-shopping?

No, I have a backup save and the pre-shopping figure on that was slightly different. Not a big deal in any event, just thought I'd flag it up

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did, you're welcome! For what it's worth I did the "character gets one job they have to use the entire game" thing too rather than swapping jobs around, like Cloud has been my white mage the entire playthrough. Kind of highlights how broken he is since he's able to keep up with other characters' physicals even having a ton of strength lowering materia on him. Also Tifa's HP is rough, really difficult for her to tank well as my knight with less HP than most of the others. I know I can just load her up with HP Plus but honestly in order to not miss out on the good steal items and good blue magic I find myself mostly running Cloud/Red (Blue)/Barret (Ninja) 90% of the time. The rest of the time I'm basically just using Yuffie (Black) and Vincent (Summoner), purely because of the ridiculously insane AP requirements to level summon materia.

Piggybacking off what you said about MP Absorb not being particularly good, HP Absorb is also similarly mostly worthless. Since it only heals 10% of the damage dealt that means Tifa is getting maybe 100 points of healing off a Deathblow if it connects, and that's barely anything. It also means that the healing would cap out at 900 HP which again, not really worth it. I was going to say that I could see MP Absorb being useful since I thought it worked the same, but looking it up, no, it only restores 1% of the damage inflicted, which is hilariously useless.

I think the only problem my classes have is that I couldn't think of enough of them to round out the entire party. Aerith being a wild card is fine since she leaves at the end of disc one, but I forgot about Cait and I have one less job than there are permanent party members. This means I ended up turning Cait into a second wild card (another ninja, not really particularly useful honestly) which isn't great. But as I said before, I can't think of any more jobs without going the Gilgabot route from his recent challenge and making characters too specialized to the point where they can barely do anything, especially in the early game where your materia options are sorely limited. That's why I made Summoner a psuedo Red Mage so they wouldn't just be a physical attacker with nothing else to do for 99% of the game, since even once you get Choco/Mog you only get one cast of it per battle for a long time.

I was originally gonna make Cloud a Knight or Paladin since it seemed to fit and he'd be great at it. I settled instead on a pure physical class, Berserker. For much of the game he did respectable damage but Yuffie with Blue Magic was comparable and Summons were always the best.

Now? MP Turbo Mastered + Bahamut ZERO with 2 stars from Vincent can break damage limit in the mod for about 13,000. Great!
...Cloud with Ultima Weapon and 4xCut does about 20,000 and this is with a normal attack. Vincent has 2 uses of B Zero and it costs a fuckton of MP. MP cost isn't a huge deal now but you get my point. And Yuffie with Shadow Flare can do about 4000-6000. We're all just chumps standing by and supporting Cloud.

This was in the New Threat Mod years ago but I remember Aerith with Comet2 could do even more damage than Cloud with 4xCut. Maybe if I had a BM in this with MP Turbo-Comet I could do comparable damage but meh.

Also I accidentally used Angel Whisper on a boss and healed it for 32,000. Maybe that is the new damage limit on my end and I could theoretically do that much in one attack if I had the stats for it, which I will not since you can't Morph Sources in this mod.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 4, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Poking at it more. A character who is both a Monster and a Mutant cannot use stat items, can eat meat, and cannot gain stats/skills; for whatever reason Mutant growth is hard disabled if any other bit is set while the other two are not. A character who is both a Human and a Monster can use stat items, can eat meat, and cannot gain stats/skills, but also loses the human bit when eating meat. Restoring the human bit allows them to use stat items again even if their type is a Monster. A character who is all three acts like a character who is both Human and Monster.

Type byte... Well, it's very normal in that, unlike Pokemon, things go in a logical sequential order. It's pretty abnormal in that not everything that has an 8x8 map sprite uses it, and not all map sprites are used. It's also pretty abnormal in that once the game runs out of its existing exactly 200 combat entities, which include more copies of Humans/Mutants than can be explained by a protag/extra split but not as many as can be explained by each floor's new and improved extras being a separate entity, it subtracts 200 from the total and pulls from the item/ability table (or maybe text is stored as an offset and abilities just come after?)
Also, note that this just governs map sprite and name; you can't see your own combat sprites, and the swapping in of stats and abilities for monsters is handled somewhere else.
Transform groups don't seem to follow a pattern, though maybe I'm just not seeing it. The data's at https://pastebin.com/8KSfS593, monster types are the "standard" English names even though they're real bad ("Crustacean" as the group that includes octopi, and "Crab" separate?)

Equipment bytes. Invalid equipment (noncombat items) is hidden by the combat menu itself. Valid but impossible equipment, like say the final boss's attacks... Works just fine. If you want to play with these, the list's at https://pastebin.com/Crf02476; other things to note is that Str weapons got slight reshuffling and Monster abilities got heavy replacements after things were locked down, and the lists are neatly segregated between 0-127 as items (all used, removable/not restored at inn) and 128-255 as abilities (2-4 placeholders depending on how you want to define it, not removable but are restored at inn)

Since you can tweak gear and stats, and they're all there and functional for players, you CAN with enough fiddling set yourself up as the bosses. Might make a fun LP.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/Glock_Topickz/status/1521849883275186176?t=i8nvSKQOPd9z5rnMXYaYLg&s=19

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This instantly reminded me of this from years and years ago now

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'll admit I had about a minute of "uhh wrong thread?" before it clicked

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Harrow posted:

For an example of how you can grind in SaGa games, there's the Bio Research Lab in SaGa Frontier.

For anyone unfamiliar, the Bio Research Lab has random encounters that are always two ranks above your battle rank. This means they tend to be tough, but it also means that your characters are more likely to learn skills and increase their stats from those battles. Any battle you fight in the Bio Research Lab is worth more than a battle fought in most places outside of it, and that means that, while grinding in there will raise your battle rank, your characters' growth will outpace that. It's like training with weights on and then taking the weights off when you go out into most of the rest of the game.

(I may or may not have done enough grinding through my NG+ cycles of the remaster that I nearly maxed out Blue's physical stats and taught him Lifesprinkler and the DSC.)

Yeah Biolab's great. On my remaster play through I went there at the very beginning of Red's story and got Cotton, killed an enemy or two to turn Cotton into a much stronger form, and then used them to bulldoze Sei's tomb for its 3 treasures (granted, Red can solo those but it's pretty annoying and a bit RNG reliant).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

I ended up combining WM and Summoner a la FFIX/X because i kinda had to due the mod I'm playing but at least there's plenty of precedent.

That's why I didn't mind making Summoner a pseudo red mage since there's plenty of precedent for it too, with Rydia having both low level black and white magic as a kid. She loses the white magic when she gets older, but that also kind of fits since late game summoner in the classes I designated aren't going to want a Cure materia anyway since it'll give less magic than another summon materia.

One of the interesting things I noticed is that weapons don't affect magic stats at all, so for Yuffie/Vincent/Cloud I essentially just ignored weapon stats and only looked at slots instead. This meant Cloud had Enhance Sword for the vast majority of the game, since it gives you four linked slots.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Something I kinda already knew about VII but which really sticks in my craw this run is how limited the locations are for enemies. In VIII and IX you had "[Blah Blah] Plains" and "[So So] Desert." In this game, you just have "Areas" so even if you ae way off on an island, it's still most likely going to be registered as the same "area" as a town and have all the same enemies. This makes hunting for Enemy Skills pretty annoying because I can think of all the areas I know of and what enemies are there and I can't figure out what I might be missing. Of course I can look it up but that rather defeats the point. I know one is Big Guard and I have no idea where that can be learned other than Beachplugs. The other skill I have no idea what it is. I'll keep searching. I got 3 Enemy Skills in the North Cave - LV5 Death, Angel Whisper, and Roulette - so I'm hoping there might be at least one more. (This is probably also where you normally get Pandora's Box but I got it off a mod exclusive boss guarding Mime.)

I swear the Battle Square has unique enemies, too. I've never seen an Ochu or that weird giant enemy anywhere but there. Kinda hope these special enemies might be the key to finding the remaining two E Skills but kinda doubt it.

Also kudos to Sega Chief (New Threat's cerator) for informing me of this handy dandy tool called Proud Clod which allows you to easily search and edit enemy data. Sure enough, Beachplugs have their Manip box unchecked so it won't work. Heh, I could check Manip for Safer Sephiroth or Emerald Weapon, I suppose.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 4, 2022

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are unique enemies in the Battle Square.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Suspect responded with “…Whatever” to every question at the station.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just pushed out an update for DBE, in order to install it all you need to do is go into the Memoria mod manager, uninstall the mod and then install it the same way you did the first time, so it's quick and painless. Just make sure to activate it again before starting the game.

Made a few minor fixes that were bugging me in addition to the Black Waltz 2 thing, but nothing major, mostly mistakes in help menu texts. It's possible the Black Waltz thing is screwed up in a new harmless way, but it's not nuking the party anymore so eh. Honestly not sure how that got through earlier testing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I just pushed out an update for DBE, in order to install it all you need to do is go into the Memoria mod manager, uninstall the mod and then install it the same way you did the first time, so it's quick and painless. Just make sure to activate it again before starting the game.

Made a few minor fixes that were bugging me in addition to the Black Waltz 2 thing, but nothing major, mostly mistakes in help menu texts. It's possible the Black Waltz thing is screwed up in a new harmless way, but it's not nuking the party anymore so eh. Honestly not sure how that got through earlier testing.

I've played up through to Lindblum now. I have to say that while I think a lot of the changes are cute, the Ice Cavern and the Black Waltzes were real walks in the park. it's been a long time since I played vanilla FF9, so my perspective of what "a little harder than vanilla" is probably off, but nothing so far has been at the New Threat level of difficulty. is there a point at which you'd say it begins to ramp up some?

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

I've played up through to Lindblum now. I have to say that while I think a lot of the changes are cute, the Ice Cavern and the Black Waltzes were real walks in the park. it's been a long time since I played vanilla FF9, so my perspective of what "a little harder than vanilla" is probably off, but nothing so far has been at the New Threat level of difficulty. is there a point at which you'd say it begins to ramp up some?

For the most part I didn't actually change a huge amount in the very start of the game. The main thing I changed up was the actual nature of the encounters, adding a bunch of formations of multiple weaker enemies, specifically trying to avoid the whole situation where the battle takes several seconds to load to encounter a single goblin who dies in a single hit. I didn't want these formations to be especially hard since the player doesn't really have a huge amount of resources or options early on (albeit maybe slightly more than the base game) and I wanted to introduce changes to abilities and combat gradually as the game goes by. So the early game isn't all that different, but by the end game you should have way more potential strategies and tactics to play around with than you normally would.

Generally speaking things get gradually tougher after Lindblum, since the player's options open up and there's more room for error. I should stress that DBE was never really intended to be a difficulty mod; someone who has a lot of experience with FF9 is probably never going to get seriously stuck at any point. The main reason for making fights slightly tougher was because party members on the whole usually wind up a bit tougher than usual and I also wanted to make individual fights a bit more substantial since the Steam version has a lower encounter rate across the board. Basically combat is meant to be more involved on a fight-per-fight basis (you can pretty much sleepwalk through all of vanilla FF9 after all), while still being able to be cleared fairly easily with good decisions and some forethought. I definitely didn't realize that at all with the start of the game though, I do admit. Optional content tends to be a lot harder, for instance Hades is significantly tougher than vanilla and Quale doesn't work anything like he used to and is much less of a pushover.

All that being said I am very open to criticism about the difficulty; I was never quite sure exactly how far to go because I specifically didn't want to make a hard mode mod and since I knew all the changes I made it was hard to tell if I was making things too hard or too easy. Someone in recent weeks mentioned in this thread that the big appealing thing in FF games is usually less a question of how hard they are and more a question of how many decisions and approaches are available to the player and that was basically what I was going for with this mod.

tdlr it'll start getting a bit harder but as it is currently it'll probably never completely kick your rear end on a regular basis if I'm being honest

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 5, 2022

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you're a brave, brave person for releasing a mod that doesn't kick the rear end of gamers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Probably just general fuckery with the Conformer's weird damage formula. Might also have a big jump if the enemies in the end game have higher levels than they would in the base game.

Now I have the Proud Clod tool, I can check his modifications. Master Tonberry's level is the same as ever, it's just that its default Level is already 77, way higher than everything else I ran into. So that would explain Conformer doing even more massive damage there.

It's a very handy little tool since Sense just stops working on a lot of enemies and also ense doesn't reveal the weirder Elements in FFVII like Shout.

Anyway, I am kinda reaching the end of my present passion for FFVII. This is no dig on the game, it's just at the 80-100 hour mark I am ready to finish most games nowadays. I got W-Summon and Final Attack and maybe I'll do a bit of AP grinding with the Movers but other than that I'm ready for the final boss. Hoping it will be a memorable struggle in this mod.

The factors I know which make him stronger are using KOTR on Jenova-SYNTHESIS and character(s) being at Level 99. Well that latter part probably isn't happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Hello Final Fantasy thread!

I'm sure this is something that's come up a bunch, so I'm sorry to dredge it back up, but all the answers I can find online seem to be really out of date?

I've got the Playstation Plus version of FF7-R, which I've finished. It was great. But now I wanna do the expansion. Only, it seems like I have to pay £15 to upgrade it to the PS5 version, and then I have to pay £?? to buy the expansion as well, but possibly that will be the full price of the game (£70) again? Which I don't want to pay. I don't really want to pay the 15 if I'm not going to pay the 70 as well, or whatever, but you can't actually tell through the store what the expansion will cost because it just says 'unavailable'.

Also, maybe there's a way to like buy the disk version for cheap from CEX or Ebay or something, and upgrade for free or something and maybe that's the best option, but, is that still a thing? I know some of those free upgrades were time sensitive?

Sorry for being dumb, but this whole upgrade path to me seems incredibly arcane.