Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

As with Minecraft the modding community is really, really strong as well. And it's *so* much easier to mod, you don't even have to unzip the mod files, just slap them as downloaded off the official mod database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Spanish Matlock posted:

Yeah, I think that the drifters right now feel very much like a placeholder. Like they needed 'an enemy' while they sorted out all the progression and crafting and whatnot. Minecraft-like games have always had the problem of boring combat, though. There's just only so much you can do with enemy AI in a world of aribtrary blocks.

Space Engineers is also arbitrary blocks, you can have combat and enemies look like pretty much whatever you feel like. They just made the (correct) decision to prioritize development time for pinch pottery and tree propagation over the thing 150000 other games already do as well as they ever could

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Vintage Story is pretty great, I haven't played it lately (last thing I did was getting drunk off my first batch of hooch) but should go back to it soon. Yeah drifters are balls but combat is never the high point for this kind of games. The one thing I would criticize beyond that is that the textures look kinda ugly. Even at 32x32 they don't hold a candle to some popular Minecraft ones like Mizuno's or Conquest Reforged, and none of the modders appear interested in creating texture packs yet. The new drifter warps or whatever look particularly hideous, just random poo poo smears polluting your pristine landscape. Still, the game's obviously a labor of love and it allows for so much more creativity than basegame or even modded MC (chiseling via MC mods can get pretty advanced but it's not super well-optimized). And yeah, the more involved crafting/production systems mean that there's a sense of fulfillment behind most things - from weaving your first basket to baking your first pie to building your first windmill.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I just picked up Vintage Story. First world, I spawned into a 2x2x4 box that was locked by a trader so I couldn't break out of it.

Second world is going better, but I can't find dry grass for the life of me. I'm using a knife and hacking all the grass I can see but it's not harvesting anything.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Canuckistan posted:

I just picked up Vintage Story. First world, I spawned into a 2x2x4 box that was locked by a trader so I couldn't break out of it.

Second world is going better, but I can't find dry grass for the life of me. I'm using a knife and hacking all the grass I can see but it's not harvesting anything.

That's really weird, knife of grass should drop dry grass. And the only other thing you could be hacking at on the ground is bushes, crops, or flowers.

Edit: oh and since you're just starting and now is the time to restart if you want, I *really* recommend dropping the distance to equator on world gen to something reasonable. Having to walk like, 50-60k blocks to start seeing climate change is insane

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you got a knife, it's in your hand, you're hacking away at grass, and the knife is losing durability, only thing I'd have to say is 1) make sure you have bag space to pick things up. There should be a dropped item.

Probably biggest add since pies are fruit trees (long term, growing, fruit producer) and booze. The metal casting hiss was so satisfying I went out and learned how to do metal casting myself and I melt down cat food cans to make small aluminum bricks that I hoard like a silly dragon.

Once you understand how the temporal rifts and drifter spawning work, it's relatively simple to make your base drifter-spawn proof, except for temporal storms.

Mod shoutout, From Golden Combs is made by someone who is way too obsessive about bees but lmao I love it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I understand there's a free version of Vintage story to try out somewhere (officially even)?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Space Engineers is also arbitrary blocks, you can have combat and enemies look like pretty much whatever you feel like. They just made the (correct) decision to prioritize development time for pinch pottery and tree propagation over the thing 150000 other games already do as well as they ever could

I mean that's kind of apples and hand grenades.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Honestly, I'm excited for the release of a multiplayer server major update for a server I'm playing on for space engineers -- sigma draconis has been working on a lot of custom mods for their "5.0" release that kind of turns it into a mashup of space engineers, Eve, and elite dangerous. The pve zone is limited to vanilla blocks only as far as thrusters/refineries/other "functional" blocks, to encourage movement into the PvP area. One of the neat mods makes carrier ships not clang out in transit, because a special hangar block stores small grids like a PokeBall for ships, while keeping the mass a factor in the carrier's handling.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

GruntyThrst posted:

That's really weird, knife of grass should drop dry grass. And the only other thing you could be hacking at on the ground is bushes, crops, or flowers.

Edit: oh and since you're just starting and now is the time to restart if you want, I *really* recommend dropping the distance to equator on world gen to something reasonable. Having to walk like, 50-60k blocks to start seeing climate change is insane

I figured it out. Making a knife blade != making a knife.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I absolutely hate planet based starts in Space Engineers, they're the least fun part of the game for me and it seems like most servers try to force you in to that now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've burned out on Elite Dangerous so all this talk of Space Engineers has me interested. I remember when it was in early early early access and it didn't look that appealing, but it's been like five years or longer at this point and it looks pretty good. At least good enough to try when I'm bored and waiting for the next Path of Exile league to start in a few weeks.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

I absolutely hate planet based starts in Space Engineers, they're the least fun part of the game for me and it seems like most servers try to force you in to that now.

There's a space based start in the pve zone, trying to start in the pvp dune is hard mode: planets only, with only a drop pod just big enough to convert into a survival kit and large small grid battery. Custom ores are only found on planets as well, so there's a reason to build an outpost even if you primarily live and refine in space. (Vanilla ores are still available in asteroids)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RandomBlue posted:

Earn ur fun

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I wish there was more reason to go to planets in SE by default unless you need a ludicrous quantity of ice. Like, just add very very large ore deposits to mine or something. SE trucks are fun when they work (which at least these days is "usually" instead of "never") but there's just no reason to bother.

Also the game really needs a built-in solar system generator.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
My main problem with planetary starts is that the regular ore detectors suck rear end and don't have enough range to be used effectively to find ore on a planet because they're typically deep enough to be at the limit of the detector range or farther. Then you have to build some janky rear end vehicle with a large detector on it via some rotor fuckery and even then it takes a lot of wandering around to find the deposits you need.

I much prefer the experience of just parking my ship in an asteroid cluster and flying around in my suit to scout out ore. I also hate the current asteroid generation, the old asteroids were much more fun and ore was easier to find.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HelloSailorSign posted:

Probably biggest add since pies are fruit trees (long term, growing, fruit producer) and booze. The metal casting hiss was so satisfying I went out and learned how to do metal casting myself and I melt down cat food cans to make small aluminum bricks that I hoard like a silly dragon.

:3:

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

power crystals posted:

Also the game really needs a built-in solar system generator.

Modding recently covered that with the Star System Generator mod, I've been playing around with it for the past few days. It works really well and is fairly painless! It can generate entirely random systems pulling planets and junk from vanilla and whatever mods you have, or you can tailor make one using chat commands. Someone made a Nice Guide for those.

You just create a new empty world with only the generation mod and any planet mods you want loaded, do the generation, then exit out, remove the generation mod, add in your usual mods you use and it's good to go.
Can handle making planets, putting moons around planets, adding a star at 0,0,0 , giving planets asteroid rings, adding asteroid chains/trails of arbitrary length near planets and creating nebula if you have the nebula mod also installed. Can also support making planets any drat size you want, instead of the vanilla 10-120km constraints. Great for adding gas giants that are actually giant or microplanets that are barely bigger than an asteroid. Buncha options to tweak to change how it spaces and places things too.

Only issue I really have with it at the moment is if you generate a system and don't like how it rolled alignment wise, regenerating it will obliterate any asteroids that generated normally. Meaning if I still want random space asteroids not part of a belt or chain I have to do it in one. But I don't really see a way for it to not do that so whatever.

The steam workshop has been absolutely hosed for me for the past week, constantly showing 'there are no results that match your criteria' when I drat well know the planets category ain't empty, meaning I can't easily find any good planet mods. If anyone knows a good desertlike planet with weather but low oxygen please send it to me I'm desperate.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

FFT posted:

LGIO just did a video on Planet Crafter

and the first thing he breaks? perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTpRsEp-_04

lmao

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Firos posted:

Crank up the difficulty. If there were an up-to-date mod to further reduce the number of animals I would have that installed too. And remember that at the highest difficulty the world gets overall colder for 50 days, so good clothes are not enough to completely break the back of the game.

That just makes it tedious, but you can still cheese your way to a slow death march against entropy, and I don't find that compelling at all. I wish it was more like Subnautica, sending me forward into more and more inhospitable terrain until I get to a defined end point, with a narrative arc. I just want some good catharsis and closure.

Regarding Planet Crafter, they put out some blurb about the future of the game and this cought my eye:

quote:

As the amazing reception of Planet Crafter caught us a bit by surprise, we are making some changes in our life to be able to completely focus on the game in the future

And that makes it sound like it was a hobby project before. Which I totally buy.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've been playing some Zomboid multiplayer with some buddies and, as a PSA, there's a mod called Sound Direction Indicator that adds a visual indicator of noises your characters can hear along with vaguely how close they are, and it's excellent for a ton of different reasons. Not only because it means I can comfortably listen to podcasts or music while I play, but if you had audio processing issues it's a game changer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Subnautica/Subnautica Below Zero are on sale for 50% off on Steam (both separately and as a combo pack)
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10076/Subnautica_Deep_Ocean_Bundle/

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Subnautica/Subnautica Below Zero are on sale for 50% off on Steam (both separately and as a combo pack)
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10076/Subnautica_Deep_Ocean_Bundle/

How is Below Zero? The discussion boards are full of whining including several people who are upset that the protagonist is a woman who talks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

HopperUK posted:

How is Below Zero? The discussion boards are full of whining including several people who are upset that the protagonist is a woman who talks.

It's a lot more of a directed experience than the original, you progress up the tech tree a lot faster and there is a lot more of a story focus. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different.

I didn't find it quite as compelling as the original but I also played both games in fairly quick succession so I might have just been burned out a bit on it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a lot more of a directed experience than the original, you progress up the tech tree a lot faster and there is a lot more of a story focus. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different.

I didn't find it quite as compelling as the original but I also played both games in fairly quick succession so I might have just been burned out a bit on it.

Hmm that sounds okay. Thank you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I had never played it because if I'm being honest, the swimming in deep water aspect of the game makes me very uncomfortable and it turns out there's a lot of that!

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Flesh Forge posted:

I had never played it because if I'm being honest, the swimming in deep water aspect of the game makes me very uncomfortable and it turns out there's a lot of that!

This has otherwise stopped me from playing Subnautica as well, despite it ostensibly being Extremely My poo poo--turns out when you have extreme thalassophobia anything involving spending time in the ocean becomes a horror game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm trying to play it anyway and even though it starts you out in the baby pool it makes legitimately very uncomfortable, in a way that space sims flying around in 6 degrees surrounded by vacuum don't.

the water is only like 25 feet deep where you start and you can't really go out of sight of the surface lol

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 15, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

HopperUK posted:

If you liked Subnautica it's that with a bit more land and an arctic theme. There's a plot now but it doesn't really bear thinking about and you can safely ignore it. Some nerds got really mad at it because I guess they were expecting to recreate the experience of playing Subnautica for the first time, but instead it closely recreated the gameplay and didn't even try to erase the memory of having played that already from their memory Men in Black style

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 15, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I wouldn't recommend Below Zero as someone who loved the original and didn't play them one after another. I can't think of a single thing that Below Zero does better, and can think of a few that it does worse: walking on land for hours, less interesting map, the story is more railroaded and not as compelling, no submarine!! The ending was cool, though.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What’s the going take on Vintage Story? I loved Feed The Beast and parts of Better Than Wolves (dingus of a creator aside) and this looks to be a dedicated stab at that sort of systems based voxel game mod. The features reel from a couple of years back seems interesting but certain aspects seemed a tad much. Are they implemented well?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.
Empyrion v1.8 and new HWS+ is coming June 7. HWS is a large community Empyrion server with maybe a few hundred players that cycle in? Not entirely sure of the exact amount, but the official HWS discord gets a lot of traffic. At least several people on the Sandcastle Kicker discord are going to give it a shot starting launch day if anyone here wants to join in and have fun building or maybe be a menace for a while. Discord link: https://discord.gg/Y5JPZ2qKAw

Here's the given preview information so far for the upcoming HWS+: https://prezi.com/view/CZXN7Xt6pubgp4ASdXWc/

Yeah, that's hard to navigate. The only thing that seems highly worth looking at if you haven't played HWS+ before other than the synopsis in the next sentence is the universe map. There's a class system, a fair number of pvp planets, an elemental type matchup for weapons and armor (???), some kind of boss progression thing, and isn't so big you'll never run into people like the 10000 stars in Reforged Eden since it looks like there's maybe a few dozen stars and maybe 4x as many sectors.

Sometimes we do stuff like Minecraft, Project Zombiod or 7 Days to Die as well if you want to join and hang out in case those come up again in the future.

Warbird posted:

What’s the going take on Vintage Story? I loved Feed The Beast and parts of Better Than Wolves (dingus of a creator aside) and this looks to be a dedicated stab at that sort of systems based voxel game mod. The features reel from a couple of years back seems interesting but certain aspects seemed a tad much. Are they implemented well?
My take is there's a lot more neat systems than Minecraft but there's even less survival pressure once you figure out how to stab things for food. At least the last time I played it, the timestorm stuff was actually pretty boring and relatively easy to deal with.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Warbird posted:

The crafting and primitive survival aspects are great, the combat is dull as hell and game difficulty is balanced around darkness endlessly spawning zombies. Definitely a work in progress but I really enjoy it as is.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I actually just started Below Zero again after only putting 3-4 hours in it when it launched and I'm having a good time with it. Has anyone played it with a controller and the trigger prompts are hosed up? Any time it tells me to RT to do something I actually have to LT. I saw some stuff about making sure it's in steam as an xbox controller and not a generic one and it is. It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with but people were posting about this from original Subnautica days as far as I can tell.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Like many people already wrote I also thought BZ was a downgrade to original Subnautica - more streamlined, smaller map, more focus on story - which is pretty forgettable. I think I did prefer the silent protagonist of the original (with his dumb Tintin hair) better too, it gave you more chance to reflect on the story and figure it out yourself.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeaJay posted:

Like many people already wrote I also thought BZ was a downgrade to original Subnautica - more streamlined, smaller map, more focus on story - which is pretty forgettable. I think I did prefer the silent protagonist of the original (with his dumb Tintin hair) better too, it gave you more chance to reflect on the story and figure it out yourself.

BZ isn't as good as Subnautica 1 but if you're jonesing for more subnautica it's pretty much the only option and it is still a good game IMO.

Removing the cyclops was dumb, you already had that poo poo, just leave it in and let us use it, add a docking bay for the sea truck or something but going from the Cyclops to the sea truck was a pretty big downgrade in terms of experience IMO.

e: BZ also felt a lot more claustrophobic and too mazy IMO.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
If anyone plays on PS4/5, The Forest is on sale right now for $5. I was thinking about grabbing it since it's the price of a lovely Starbucks latte - what's the consensus on it?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
It's good if you go in expecting a horror survivor game instead of a survival builder. It's really great at its builder stuff, but the game won't let you enjoy it for long unless you turn off enemy or play with friends.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Yeah, unless you have an item you get from beating the game, enemy attacks on your base in The Forest will only ever steadily increase over time, quickly becoming untenable. This combined with the ease at which certain enemies can absolutely wreck your structures (tree forts are heck of cool but one whack from a big boy and the tree and everything in it is gone) means the ideal way to build is to have several tiny camps scattered around the island, and only spend a night or two at each before moving to another to let them 'cool down'. There are a few locations where you can safely build a huge camp, small islands and such, and that one sparsely wooded hill seems to almost never get attacked, but they are rather inconvenient resources wise.

That and the survival aspects of The Forest are a joke. Infinite respawning birds to eat that literally fly in a conga line to your spearpoint. It's more built around having a pile of stuff to burn through while you explore certain locations to add that ticking clock than actually having any difficulty in sustaining yourself at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah The Forest kicks rear end but the really slick survival/base-building elements are basically wasted in SP, if you're engaging with them you're losing

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 16, 2022