Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Riatsala posted:

Ya'll want more bitching about Elden Ring, right? That hasn't gotten tiresome yet, right?

Anyway sometimes it feels totally arbitrary where you can and cannot do ash summons, and moreover it's way too easy to spot upcoming enemies, summon, and have them unsummon as you charge in. Particularly egregious in a couple of places in Raya Lucaria.

In the courtyard of the carian castle there is a thin strip of area that summons aren't allowed. If you're not paying attention it smokes your summon and you can't bring them back ten feet later

I hate those hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Manager Hoyden posted:

In the courtyard of the carian castle there is a thin strip of area that summons aren't allowed. If you're not paying attention it smokes your summon and you can't bring them back ten feet later

I hate those hands

That was the only area of the game I ran through without bothering to explore. gently caress those things, their attack patterns suck so much.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Giant hands are more bearable when you find out they’re one of those enemies that flip the gently caress out when hit by a fire attack and that smacking them from behind staggers them way harder than frontal attacks. I mean, that should really be a hint somewhere given they have buyable hints for beastmen, those little poison potatoes, and a few others, but yeah.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Thanks for the Sekiro tips, everyone. I managed to completely dominate that miniboss I was complaining about by being completely aggro with occasional pauses for deflects. It was really straightforward and I can see the rhythm game comparisons now. Before it was trying to find "openings" and just not having them really open at all. I'm feeling a bit better about continuing now at the very least. :)

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

More games need to take lessons from super meat boy and celeste. Stop wasting my time, just reload the drat challenge right there one second after I lose if you want things to take multiple tries to get past.

I also hate when every restart has some sort of count down.

Please don’t make me watch the 3… 2… 1… Go! stuff when I’m on my 30th try of something, just let me get into it!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One of the things I didn't like about Sekiro was there was some text on the spear prosthetic that said it would strip armor off of enemies. So I spent an hour or so hitting the armored guy on the bridge with the spear, thinking it would strip off his armor.
The knight doesn't take any damage from your sword, so I figured I had to get his armor off first.
Apparently it only strips off armor for one specific enemy and does nothing to all the others.

So if you get to a fully armored knight on a bridge, just know the spear don't do poo poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sekiro had a lot of little translation fuckups and i feel like that was one of them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are we sure they didn't just dummy them out late in development like Dark Souls 2's lighting requiring the torch more?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
no, because the spear does strip armor - specifically the shabby reed-plate armor worn by the fat bell-wielding soldiers. this is not the enemy one is likely to think of when one thinks of an “armored” enemy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

no, because the spear does strip armor - specifically the shabby reed-plate armor worn by the fat bell-wielding soldiers. this is not the enemy one is likely to think of when one thinks of an “armored” enemy

I didn't explain myself well enough. I meant like, do you think they intended to have more armored enemies but just couldn't get to that part or is it well known that it was a translation error?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh no that's just my suspicion, the only goof i know about for sure is the infamous "my neck" line

it's weirder because the spear's greatest use, yanking out the guardian ape's centipede, isn't telegraphed at all

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the things I didn't like about Sekiro was there was some text on the spear prosthetic that said it would strip armor off of enemies. So I spent an hour or so hitting the armored guy on the bridge with the spear, thinking it would strip off his armor.
The knight doesn't take any damage from your sword, so I figured I had to get his armor off first.
Apparently it only strips off armor for one specific enemy and does nothing to all the others.

So if you get to a fully armored knight on a bridge, just know the spear don't do poo poo.

Fair.

The text says "Those of large build will at times force themselves into poorly-fitting armor. Such armor could be torn clean off; coined by Gyoubu as Armor Stripping." - I suppose the rationale is that the knight's armour isn't poorly-fitting, just the crap the ogres use.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing about Sekiro translations is you have to remember From wrote the game in Japanese, it was translated to English, but Sekiro takes place in Japan so Wolf is reading the English back to Japanese translations so it’s no wonder there’s lots of missteps.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My son likes watching me play Dark Souls but can't do it.

He's anxious for me to start 3 but I don't have time so I told him to go build my character and I'll use it. We'll see how that goes LOL.

To get away from Souls/From:

I recently bought the Tony Hawk remake and it's pretty great but I can't pull of tricks without using the d-pad and my muscle memory won't go there. Also, I read the Alien threads and remember a PS game called Alien Resurrection I think it was and I could not play that motherfucker because of the controls.

Recently, I found out that the control mapping is basically the modern standard for every console FPS controller.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Gort posted:

Fair.

The text says "Those of large build will at times force themselves into poorly-fitting armor. Such armor could be torn clean off; coined by Gyoubu as Armor Stripping." - I suppose the rationale is that the knight's armour isn't poorly-fitting, just the crap the ogres use.

There’s also guys you can eavesdrop on who specifically mention the Taro Troop as being the ones with the armor, but it’s definitely one of those things that’s easy to miss and also barely ever useful.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

Elden Ring: man, the Consecrated Snowfield is neat conceptually but it kinda blows having an area where the top half is just a blinding snowstorm and I’m not super stoked about the handicapped sniper wolf ladies on the bottom. At least right after doing the snow level that was at least slightly more interesting.

Haha by NG++ those sniper lady encampments are pure death if you stop moving anywhere in their general vicinity. They will snipe you from out of visual range. They suck hard. Farm their gear in NG or NG+

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

BiggerBoat posted:

Also, I read the Alien threads and remember a PS game called Alien Resurrection I think it was and I could not play that motherfucker because of the controls.

Recently, I found out that the control mapping is basically the modern standard for every console FPS controller.

Famously, that game got savaged in at least one review for having such a godawful control scheme.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

Famously, that game got savaged in at least one review for having such a godawful control scheme.

It was gamespot, who gave it a 4.7/10:

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/ posted:

Once planned as a third-person adventure game, the long-delayed adaptation of the latest Alien film has finally arrived as a completely different beast entirely. Now a first-person shooter, the game ends up being the closest thing you'll find to the company's well-received PC FPS Aliens versus Predator. But those expecting that same level of quality in this title will find that, in the space between the final days of the PlayStation and the launch of the PS2, no one can hear you scream.

As in the film, the action takes place in a spaceborne remote military research vessel that has been overrun by aliens. You make your way through the chaos, encountering survivors, wasting face huggers and drones, and collecting an inordinate number of key cards along the way. And make no mistake about it, the way is dark. It's dark in the sense that graphical glitches are likely being hidden, but the darkness also sets the atmosphere very well. Lights flicker, steam blasts from wall vents, and scripted events such as an alien bursting through a doorway play out in cinematic fashion all around you. The audio effects - such as the frustrated squeal of a vanquished enemy or the quickening beat of your heart when you're near death - also contribute to the mood as well. The audio and video elements work well, save for some fairly chunky animations and weak screams. All in all, the visuals and sounds end up more fitting than impressive.

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down.
Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Beyond the control issues, Alien Resurrection is gruelingly hard. That is, it's hard to the point where you'll spend as much time reloading your save file as you will spend playing the game. The near-mythical PlayStation mouse peripheral is supposed to solve many of the game's control problems, but the 99.9 percent of PlayStation owners who've never even seen the device will find the game almost unplayably difficult to control and unreasonably hard to enjoy. It's a dramatic answer to a problem far more easily solved by adopting the control scheme from EA's Medal of Honor.

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Lmao

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Colonial Marines at the end is just :discourse:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

"While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet..." wow the more things change.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
loving hell, having to strafe with left stick and look with the right one? How horrific. Will never catch on.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDKB1bsdkL8

Pretty good run down.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I got Vampire Survivors and it’s a ton of fun, but some buffer enemies drop chests that can drop items but the animation on opening and ‘rolling’ for the item takes like 10-15 seconds and it really kills the flow.

Edit: Son of a bitch, I pressed every button but right click.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 20:11 on May 4, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it absolutely kills the flow, but you can right-click to cancel the animation and make it a little less of an annoyance

e: unless it's a five-item one, but then you would want to listen to the music for that anyway

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm playing Chrono Trigger DS, and unless I'm missing something...there's no way to turn off the obnoxious high-pitched noise when you move your cursor in the menus? :smith:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Read After Burning posted:

I'm playing Chrono Trigger DS, and unless I'm missing something...there's no way to turn off the obnoxious high-pitched noise when you move your cursor in the menus? :smith:

A lot of early games had constant earsplitting sound effects. My personal pet peeve are the early Mario games (1 and 3 in particular) coin pickup sounds, particularly when there's a solid line you run through. Drives me NUTS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

loving hell, having to strafe with left stick and look with the right one? How horrific. Will never catch on.

I never quite did, at least with that game, and I agree with that review at the time. I really wanted to get into it because the graphics were pretty good for the time and I like Alien poo poo but I guess at the time my brain wasn't ready for that controller layout.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it absolutely kills the flow, but you can right-click to cancel the animation and make it a little less of an annoyance

e: unless it's a five-item one, but then you would want to listen to the music for that anyway

I watch all of them cause I have a little "gimme something good" song I sing that perfectly fits the tune length. I modify it a bit to make it fit the 3 and 5 chests too and it is the high point of the game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Evilreaver posted:

A lot of early games had constant earsplitting sound effects. My personal pet peeve are the early Mario games (1 and 3 in particular) coin pickup sounds, particularly when there's a solid line you run through. Drives me NUTS

It was the best decision ever to make that the Wii shop downloading sound :suicide:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Mario coin was the sound of my childhood, you monsters :negative:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love the Mario coin sound. Really all the SFX in the first Super Mario Bros., it’s all so chunky.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Mario coin sound to this day gives me that good-good drip of joyjuice in my brain.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

God forbid you play a Final Fantasy game, where you manually have to outfit your party and their skill-trees accompanied by a loud beep with each button press.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The background music that plays at the Altus Plateau in Elden Ring has a tone that sounds like somebody picking up a line of coins in Super Mario World, to me. It’s really uncanny and also impossible to describe.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Waste of Breath posted:

I watch all of them cause I have a little "gimme something good" song I sing that perfectly fits the tune length. I modify it a bit to make it fit the 3 and 5 chests too and it is the high point of the game

I knew I wasn't the only one. I wish you couldn't tell immediately if it was 1, 3, or 5 items so it can satisfy my gambling addiction :shepface:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Mario coin was the sound of my childhood, you monsters :negative:

Those old NES games where you didn't have the option to turn off the music I think probably used up maybe a full 5% of my entire lifetime's brain capacity. Combine that with all the stupid commercial jingles and Brady Bunch dialogue shoved into my head over the years and it makes me wonder how much of my brain was used up remembering and storing useless bullshit and maybe that's why I never found a cure for cancer.

Like, why do I remember the Honeycomb cereal song?

Me and my college room mate spent and entire summer playing Baseball Stars on NES and you needed the sound to judge fly balls so we couldn't turn it down but jesus christ that music. That's the one I think of when I remember 8 bit games. It was horrible.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I still occasionally get the melody from Solomon’s Key stuck in my head in an endless loop.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Uncharted Waters New Horizons. Really fun game, but good god the music in the middle eastern towns. I can hear it even now just repeating forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The town music from Kings Quest 5 has to be the all time worst videogame music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1pCxXrorKM

How is Princess Peach still a princess? They never show her parents. Is she a regent or ward of someone until she comes of age? She seems fully grown.