Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Atrocious Joe posted:

While a reserve army of labor is both needed for capitalist production and an outcome of it, if it's too large it creates instability. Masses of people who don't know where there next meal will come from would be a problem for any society. They aren't going to automatically be revolutionary, but they could certainly disrupt production.

In the US this dynamic also includes the racialization of the reserve army of labor, but I want to think more about that before typing it up. That also sort of ties into what role mass incarceration actually plays in US capitalism. Generally, like I said, I think it's an attempt to deal with a reserve army of labor that's too large, but I don't expect people to believe me without actually providing evidence to back it up.

yeah the state has to play a balancing game/run a feedback system when it comes to the reserve army of labor because if it's too small then workers get too powerful but if it's too big then workers (can) get too powerful in a much scarier and more damaging way. among other things this is why incarceration rates track so well with stuff like whether we're at war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mr. Lobe posted:

Anyone got any good recommendations for contemporary marxist perspectives on reproductive justice?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13F0JX511wT9EqmqljhmTessGAKAHEGPt9bpyrMSwYLk/edit

not all of this stuff is actually marxist but it's broadly good

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

thank you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
reading books is gay

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

I don't understand their posts. Are they saying if you do material analysis you'd find that "working class" people support this decision?

If you lived in the south, abortion was basically banned even as far back as 2010.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

reading books is gay

ehn, it's not that great imo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't understand their posts. Are they saying if you do material analysis you'd find that "working class" people support this decision?

If you lived in the south, abortion was basically banned even as far back as 2010.

It sounds like they are saying the ruling class is undermining abortion to increase the labor pool. Seems right to me

Like, it's not just misogyny (though that is part of it), it comes down to the bottom line for them

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

in a global economy, outlawing medical practices is going to make you seem barbaric and regressive. subsequently fewer other countries are going to want to trade with you or otherwise cooperate with you. there's no grand conspiracy of capitalism, just a collection of shortsighted self interest. this isn't about fixing the size of the labor pool, it's about political wedges, oppressing women and cruelty for its own sake

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

The Voice of Labor posted:

in a global economy, outlawing medical practices is going to make you seem barbaric and regressive. subsequently fewer other countries are going to want to trade with you or otherwise cooperate with you. there's no grand conspiracy of capitalism, just a collection of shortsighted self interest. this isn't about fixing the size of the labor pool, it's about political wedges, oppressing women and cruelty for its own sake

How does this make any sense when you take a look any of the countries we've traded with in the past or now?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

dunno if you've noticed, but we're not top dog any more. we can't even bully india and china into toeing our line. regressive hellhole without an overwhelming advantage to push isn't a great bargaining position, especially when all the sexy new money is in tech and information, things that require civilzation to produce and consume

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 60 days!

one of the dumbest motherfuckers in the game rn

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

in a global economy, outlawing medical practices is going to make you seem barbaric and regressive. subsequently fewer other countries are going to want to trade with you or otherwise cooperate with you.
my dude

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the republic of ireland, an economic pariah state, only rejoined the global economic system in 2018

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
hello, hi this crown prince mohammad bin salman calling for president biden, and yes I would like to cancel all trades with America due to usurious medical debt and the mass suffering of the uninsured. i cannot in good conscience do business with such barbarians, thank you

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Centrist Committee posted:

hello, hi this crown prince mohammad bin salman calling for president biden, and yes I would like to cancel all trades with America due to usurious medical debt and the mass suffering of the uninsured. i cannot in good conscience do business with such barbarians, thank you

lol

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

another angle: if such imperial country cannot rely on the global labor reserve force anymore, anti-abortion policies become extraordinarily important for the long term, as well as increasing domestic superexploitation (such as prison labor)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Maybe capitalism just has a pregnancy kink

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

CoolCab posted:

the republic of ireland, an economic pariah state, only rejoined the global economic system in 2018

as the rest of the world moves forward, we move backwards. but yeah, I'm sure that won't have any negative repercussions. maybe we can form a new mutual defense and trade treaty organization with poland and isis

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

as bertolt brecht famously said: erst kommt die moral dann kommt das fressen

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

since I'm the dumbest motherfucker in the room, maybe someone can explain to me why the u.s. is the only capitalist country loving with reproductive rights? like, I get that there's more space to build prisons than in the Europe, but declining birthrates and replacement population and stuff kinda suggest that 'merica isn't the liberal democracy that needs its surplus labor army maintained and expanded, it's japan and south korea...

oh wow, totally coincidentally

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_South_Korea

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
banning abortion is just one of those things the ruling class does for the love of the game, op. they do it because they can

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

since I'm the dumbest motherfucker in the room, maybe someone can explain to me why the u.s. is the only capitalist country loving with reproductive rights? like, I get that there's more space to build prisons than in the Europe, but declining birthrates and replacement population and stuff kinda suggest that 'merica isn't the liberal democracy that needs its surplus labor army maintained and expanded, it's japan and south korea...

Do enough anal and you will find your truth

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

tokin opposition posted:

Do enough anal and you will find your truth

so it's a sex thing and not a labor thing. I think we're on the same page here

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

in a global economy, outlawing medical practices is going to make you seem barbaric and regressive. subsequently fewer other countries are going to want to trade with you or otherwise cooperate with you.

:allbuttons:

why is this dumb poo poo in the marxism thread

Centrist Committee posted:

lol

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

the u.s. is the only capitalist country loving with reproductive rights?
my dude

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
can the mods or an ik chain probe tvol? thank you

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

This is what no butt stuff does to a person. Marx wrote about this in the fourth capital

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm more inclined to think that the loving around going on around roe v wade is more to do with the democrats actively wanting to lose ground on civil liberties specifically so that they can campaign on civil liberties issues which were put to bed in the latter half of the 20th century. They have nothing to rally their base around because they have won. To do more would actively mean dealing with material circumstances which they will under no circumstances do.

Maybe some militarist whiteys care about the surplus army of (white) labour but I don't think that concept comes any where near any of the people who are actually at the levers of power. The dems are sitting on their hands so that they have something to campaign against on a national level. Moves the narrative away from the declining international empire and puts the focus back on at home. Which is, uh what trump was doing i guess?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

can the mods or an ik chain probe tvol? thank you

exile me to byob and I will only come back stronger

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Imo American prisons are just the result of more prisoners == more money for the prison industry.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

the key to understanding any american policy is figuring out how it hurts black people

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo American prisons are just the result of more prisoners == more money for the prison industry.

what is the prison industry though? Private prisons are only 8% of all state and federal penitentiaries. That's not to say that state-run prisons are free of profit making enterprises though. Inmates and their families are nickled and dimed for everything and even on calls and emails, so it is very expensive to be inside. The firms making the profits from these contractors end up being typical technology focused private equity firms or large service industry conglomerates like Aramark*. Basically the same firms that are in charge of the "normal" service economy. Service work is some of the least compensated and "skilled" outside the walls as well, so these firms actually face a contradiction when it comes to locking up more workers. Those are often the same workers they exploit on the outside as well.

The growth of prisons in the US was driven by the state pursuing the interests of the bourgeois class as whole first, and the firms that profited are just the leeches going to feast of the resulting human misery. They influence policy now, but they aren't the main drivers of it.

People focus on prison labor, and while it is slavery, often times people inside want to join the work programs because it's a relief from the rest of prison life. Like, the US prison system is so horrific for people in it slave labor is seen as an improvement. I admit here that I'm no expert and am only really familiar with northern US institutions, the prisons that are former plantations in the south might be a different story. If prison labor was the goal I don't think the implementation would be a haphazard patchwork. The bigger role prisons typically have in the economy is to provide employment in areas that lost industrial jobs over the past decades. As deindustrialization played out, Black people in the cities were locked up and white people in small towns went from being factory workers to being prison guards.

*I originally put Sodexho but the algorithm makes their US prison food contracts hard to find because they run private prisons in Europe. Aramark runs detention centers in Europe too but I guess they get less attention.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

all correct and a very important point. prisons aren't profitable per se, and prison labor is lovely and inefficient compared to regular wage labor. prisons do their best to recoup the huge costs of running them by nickel and diming inmates and their families, and of course they're one of many ways the state funnels public money into private hands, but prisons are a "spatial fix" (cf ruth wilson gilmore) for otherwise unattended human and material resources and of course a special body of armed men that enforces class dictatorship

Ferrinus has issued a correction as of 05:25 on May 5, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

we only import educated laborers. there is a clear preference against "unskilled" immigration. the job market for the worst jobs with the lowest pay is too tight, so we're going to fix it by forcing poor women to have more babies.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The anti-abortion movement that's captured the Supreme Court started before the current labor conditions. It's existed before Reagan's amnesty and Clinton's militarization of the border post-NAFTA which set the stage for current immigration controls directed at the southern border. The reactionary position to solving the current labor crisis is to kick off a recession. While some on the right must believe that abortion should be outlawed to stop the "great replacement," that's not an argument held by the masses of people or pumped out through conservative media. I don't think even Tucker has been explicit about it.

At it's core, the anti-abortion movement is like QAnon, a populist message about saving the children tied to same Republican politicians that are mostly concerned about stopping business regulations. Instead of saving kids from the groomers, anti-abortion activists actually think they are saving kids and women from the evil abortionists. Plenty, maybe most, go along out of hatred for women and pregnant people in general, but the hardcore activists think they are saving children. Anti-abortion was the GOP populist (despite not being nationally popular) plank to energize volunteers and donors after segregation got too taboo to defend.

If there's a faction of the bourgeoisie and political sphere that may be swayed by demographic arguments, it's the liberals. Parts of the FIRE industry do plan decades ahead for global warming and other major trends, even if the US state has rid itself of the ability to do so for stuff besides the military and policing. This might explain some of the lack of energy on the side of Democrat politicians, but in general they seem to actually want to run on the issue in the midterms. It's not like the eviction moratorium or child tax credit which they let quietly die because they were, at the end of the day, ideologically opposed to those programs.

edit: outlawing abortion does weaken the working class as a whole by making lives harder for women and other people who can become pregnant, and I do think that's been known and a driver from the start. I think that's a separate issue from just relieving the pressure on the current labor market though.

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 16:39 on May 5, 2022

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

happy birthday dumbass

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

lumpentroll posted:

happy birthday dumbass

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lumpentroll posted:

happy birthday dumbass

gently caress you and die, next year

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

lumpentroll posted:

happy birthday dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Is there good English literature about Sankara or is it mostly in French still?