Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

feedmyleg posted:

Only because the Blade Runner thread is long dead, just a heads up to folks in here that the Free League Blade Runner tabletop roleplaying game Kickstarter just went live. If you snagged their Alien stuff you know how good they are.

Disclaimer: much of what made the Alien RPG good is the guy who wrote it, which is not the same author as the Blade Runner RPG.

That doesn’t mean the Blade Runner RPG will be bad, just something to consider.

The new Terminator RPG that’s shipping soon IS written by the Alien RPG author, though.

I tried to convince him to include me in the Terminator RPG as the “Xenomrph Paradox”, named after the victim of a time travel accident where he tried to go back in time and by sheer bad luck his end destination in the past happened to be where his past self was standing and he telefragged himself. :v:

I also tried to convince him to write the “Alien RPG: Feline Survival Guide” (the ultimate tome for running cat player characters and NPCs in the Alien setting) as an April Fool’s gag. He did include his real life cat as a player character in the latest scenario book though.

feedmyleg posted:

Based on the expanded universe minutia that the Alien books got into, I can't imagine it isn't. I doubt they'll do too much with the Off-World Colonies to keep the mystery alive, but I can't imagine there won't be at least a few references to Soldier in there.

I think there’s a reference to Soldier in the Alien RPG core book. There’s definitely a reference to Outland.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The marines are not hired by Weyland-Yutani,

You lost me right here. we all know that the marines are there on the company's request, Burke says as much. They are hired by WY, and the impression I've always gotten is that functionally WY and the world govt (american or otherwise since they are flying the flag) are one in the same (i dont know enough lore to really say im sure xenomrph can give those deets). Burke tries to play up the separation with "you don't have the authority" but that kinda just reinforces his belief that the company is in charge and they're there on the companies dime. Regardless, nothing in the "Alien" future exists without the company, nothing happens without their approval. The whole setup starts and ends with WY.

And no I will not consider a theme park ride as canon and a relevant data point for discussing the response of the team on LV426. That poo poo is what hollywood WY would make to sell back home, it ain't real.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 3, 2022

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I dunno, I feel like there has to be something else besides WY for the universe to make sense. Another mega corp and/or nation (depending on if you think WY and the USA are functionally the same in this setting) to be a competitor. Burke specifically points out that WY manufactures the atmosphere processors, implying that there are others who also could.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The question of how exactly the dynamic between the Colonial Marines and W-Y works has come up before, I think the bottom line is the movie just doesn't give you enough info to come to any specific conclusion. But my assumption has always been that W-Y is one of only a few mega-corporations that more or less run the world, and there is a "government" that is technically a separate entity but practically speaking the mega-corps control everything so it hardly matters. When W-Y requests marines, they get marines.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

david_a posted:

I dunno, I feel like there has to be something else besides WY for the universe to make sense. Another mega corp and/or nation (depending on if you think WY and the USA are functionally the same in this setting) to be a competitor. Burke specifically points out that WY manufactures the atmosphere processors, implying that there are others who also could.

IDK if I agree with that implication. Also, if you take the comics and books as canon, originally Weyland and Yutani were separate corporations. IIRC Yutani purchased Weyland.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Regardless, nothing in the "Alien" future exists without the company, nothing happens without their approval. The whole setup starts and ends with WY.

This is about where I stand too, given that there's almost zero dialogue in the films (IIRC) about government, or corporate competition, just "The Company."

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The films give a fair amount of leeway on how influential you want the Company to be (and even the RPG openly says GMs can portray the Company as anything from a nuisance to an unstoppable bulwark that controls everything).

There are sources that say the Marines were essentially going to be deployed to LV426 anyway because a lot of organizations had a vested interest in the colony, but Burke had enough pull to pick who the commander would be (Gorman) because the Corps is in bed with WY.

As for other corporations, there were a bunch of rival companies - in the old 90s comics, Weyland Yutani actually almost never showed up (I think they get namedropped in one AvP comic?), it was all a bunch of other corporations doing largely similar poo poo.
I think the RPG re-canonized a bunch of the corporations from the old comics, so GMs could use them if they wanted just to change things up from WY.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
If you go outside Alien & Aliens there are absolutely other companies (there’s the Walmart joke in Resurrections if you want to stick to just the movies).

If WY is literally the only company around I think that would change a lot about the setting. I don’t even know how a capitalist system is supposed to work with just one company.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, it’s the other way around, just because the US government helped and funded Nestle’s tyranny in third world countries, that doesn’t mean the US government works directly for Nestle, but they are invested in the capital that Nestle generates.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

david_a posted:

If you go outside Alien & Aliens there are absolutely other companies (there’s the Walmart joke in Resurrections if you want to stick to just the movies).

If WY is literally the only company around I think that would change a lot about the setting. I don’t even know how a capitalist system is supposed to work with just one company.

Monopolies are a thing :shrug:

When you make everything then everyone pays you all their money to get all their stuff, and when everyone works for the company then you pay them you a wage that goes right back to you anyway.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like it's more like the East India Company.

quote:

Originally chartered as the "Governor and Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East-Indies",[8][9] the company rose to account for half of the world's trade during the mid-1700s and early 1800s,[10] particularly in basic commodities including cotton, silk, indigo dye, sugar, salt, spices, saltpetre, tea, and opium. The company also ruled the beginnings of the British Empire in India.[10][11]

The company eventually came to rule large areas of India, exercising military power and assuming administrative functions. Company rule in India effectively began in 1757 after the Battle of Plassey and lasted until 1858 when, following the Indian Rebellion of 1857, the Government of India Act 1858 led to the British Crown assuming direct control of India in the form of the new British Raj.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Me too, remember the East India Company's army significantly outnumbered the British army at one point

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol at walmart buying out weyland yutani being canon

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol at walmart buying out weyland yutani being canon

Nowadays it would be Amazon

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
amazon would try to capture the xenomorph because they would be the perfect warehouse and fulfillment center workers once properly trained

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Alex Jones great great great grandson: "Xenomorph blood is turning the frogs gay!"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

The Notorious ZSB posted:

You lost me right here. we all know that the marines are there on the company's request, Burke says as much. They are hired by WY, and the impression I've always gotten is that functionally WY and the world govt (american or otherwise since they are flying the flag) are one in the same.

Burke doesn’t say anything like that, and it wouldn’t make sense if he did. You’re not getting this ‘one world corporation-government’ stuff from the film, but from too much crap cyberpunk.

Ripley’s shoes have little UK flags on them, for example, because they’re Reeboks - produced by a British company, at the time Aliens was filmed. She straps her shoes into a forklift made by Caterpillar Inc. Ash is retconned into being from Hyperdyne Systems, etc.

So, after her initial reaction, Ripley actually questions why Burke is even there:

“Hiya, Ripley. This is Lieutenant Gorman, of the Colonial Marine Corps. Ripley, we have to talk; we've lost contact with the colony on LV-426.”
“What's your interest in all this? Why are you going?”

It’s weird that Burke would investigate a silent colony, because that’s not his job at all. He needs to explain that his specific company invested in its construction.

Besides the general murkiness of the film’s story, it’s possible that fans are confused because Burke keeps referring to himself and the marines as a team: “We’ve lost contact with the colony.” “We always have a synthetic on board.” But this is ultimately just Burke trying to ingratiate himself into the situation, with a “we’re all in this together” deal. He has no real authority there outside of a presumed ideological alignment.

Also, although Ride At The Speed Of Fright is 100% Aliens canon (along with AVP, Starship Troopers and Moon 44), my point is not reliant on its canonicity but on the simple direct comparison to Aliens. The marines of the USS New Jersey don’t spend a stupidly long time standing around speculating that their motion-trackers are broken.

“Hmm, it says that we’re being surrounded and the enemy’s closing in. That’s weird...”
*minutes pass with nobody doing anything*

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The squad from the USCMC ship New Jersey understood one lesson the amateurs in Sgt. Apone’s squad didn’t:

Never Get Out Of The Boat

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MrMojok posted:

The squad from the USCMC ship New Jersey understood one lesson the amateurs in Sgt. Apone’s squad didn’t:

Never Get Out Of The Boat

The reason why Ride is perfect as an Aliens sequel/epilogue is that all Ripley's bold, rebellious innovations have obviously become Marine Corps SOP. Far from sticking it to the military-industrial complex, the marines have simply become more effective killers in a total war against "the bugs" - striking rapidly, sticking close to the APCs, and deploying nuclear weapons without hesitation, etc.

Meanwhile, in the background, companies like Weyland-Yutani work unimpeded.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Alex Jones great great great grandson: "Xenomorph blood is turning the frogs gay!"

Cue people trying to inject Alien acid into their veins to cure Covid-2179 or whatever pandemic is ravaging humanity that year

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The subject of the old PS1 Alien Resurrection game came up in the Things Dragging This Game Down thread and it's so weird.

I bounced off that fucker hard because I couldn't master the control layout and now it's pretty much the standard for FPS games. Anyone ever given it a fair shot or finished it?

The game got decimated in the reviews because the controls were considered impossible but I remember it had pretty good graphics and atmosphere.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
More adventures in Alien canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w27Z31_pVlk

Beyond The Rising Moon (1987)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

The subject of the old PS1 Alien Resurrection game came up in the Things Dragging This Game Down thread and it's so weird.

I bounced off that fucker hard because I couldn't master the control layout and now it's pretty much the standard for FPS games. Anyone ever given it a fair shot or finished it?

The game got decimated in the reviews because the controls were considered impossible but I remember it had pretty good graphics and atmosphere.

It holds up pretty well, and it’s pretty easy with 20 years of modern FPS controls under your belt. It still looks pretty solid and the Aliens are fun to shoot, and the atmosphere is pretty good. I beat it back when it was new and I remember it being really hard, but I tried it again recently and was just blowing through it because I “got” the controls.

Fun fact: the game devs got the guy who voiced Father (the ship AI) in the movie to come back to record new dialogue for the game.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ride At The Speed Of Fright is 100% Aliens canon (along with AVP, Starship Troopers and Moon 44)

lmao

Sometimes I forget that this is 'your' thread.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

BiggerBoat posted:

the controls are literally the exact same controls they use now for games lmao the reviewers were stupid.

"gamespot posted:

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

lmao

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
alien trilogy is the better alien game on the PS1 imo

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

alien trilogy is the better alien game on the PS1 imo

I played that game so goddamn much. No idea how it holds up though.

I still remember the cheat code to unlock godmode/infinite ammo (1GOTP1NK8C1DBOOTSON)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Now to be fair that's a different Aliens: Colonial Marines which was cancelled lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

lmao

Canon is whatever you want it to be anyway

Spalec posted:

I still remember the cheat code to unlock godmode/infinite ammo (1GOTP1NK8C1DBOOTSON)

It’s been a while since I played it, somehow I have two copies (PS1 and Sega Saturn), maybe I’ll fire them up and see what they’re like.

Alien Resurrection is worth a go, though.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 5, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

It's refreshing reading things that aren't just memorized from an Alien wiki.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Spalec posted:

it doesnt compare to doom but it still holds up imo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

It's refreshing reading things that aren't just memorized from an Alien wiki.
Good thing no one is doing that then

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I played the poo poo out of Alien: Trilogy. That game was awesome.

Die Hard Trilogy too for that matter

More games need the word "trilogy" in their titles I think.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Lemme know when they make the Cruel Intentions Trilogy video game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BiggerBoat posted:

I played the poo poo out of Alien: Trilogy. That game was awesome.

Die Hard Trilogy too for that matter

More games need the word "trilogy" in their titles I think.
Off topic but I would kill for a Crimson Skies Trilogy.

Die Hard Trilogy was neat, I liked how it was basically three games in one. I think I have the sequel (Viva Las Vegas?) but I don’t know that I’ve played it yet.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sigher posted:

You know what I never understood and maybe I'm missing something, is everything involving Ferro and the Dropship.

After touching down and releasing the APC, the Dropship takes off and presumably takes to the skies and I always assumed they just held pattern until the coast is clear. However, once poo poo hits the fan they call in for the Dropship which went off and docked somewhere on the colony, maybe a hanger? Apparently loading up supplies, maybe? Is there an explanation why they landed and what they're doing?

The dropship is basically a helicopter. It lands, drops off the Marines, and then takes off and goes into a holding pattern a safe distance away. Once the Marines have cleared the colony, the dropship comes in to land, probably refuel as I doubt it has an unlimited fuel supply, and give the pilots time to rest while the Marines investigate the power station.

This is pretty much how it works with helicopters, you land, drop off the passengers, go get gas, then land and shut down till it's time to go.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I'm Hudson sir, he's Hicks.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

PeterCat posted:

The dropship is basically a helicopter. It lands, drops off the Marines, and then takes off and goes into a holding pattern a safe distance away. Once the Marines have cleared the colony, the dropship comes in to land, probably refuel as I doubt it has an unlimited fuel supply, and give the pilots time to rest while the Marines investigate the power station.

This is pretty much how it works with helicopters, you land, drop off the passengers, go get gas, then land and shut down till it's time to go.

when is the alien supposed to sneak on the helicopter and kill the pilot

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

The name on the lease says 'Immortan' and I'm beginning to think smg doesn't pay rent

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

The thread belongs to the people.

That the three 'Ripley' films all have exceedingly little in common is, simply, true.

There's a reason only Paul W.S. Anderson has officially returned to the 'Alien Queen' concept, and that nobody has returned to the 'Colonial Marines' concept (after Gordon's jokey short film). Attempts at forcing Aliens into canon resulted in the creation of at least one infamously stupid videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

I'm strongly digging this. Thanks! :cheers: