Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ciprian Maricon posted:

They in-fact did not consistently do something, genius. That's why the supreme court is about to blow up reproductive rights.

The Supreme Court is about to blow up reproductive rights because United States is not a democracy. The liberals in the U.S. consistently upheld abortion rights within the legal confines of that undemocratic system.

Now if you accuse them of consistently not doing everything possible to arrest the naked authoritarian fascism of United States and fascist Americans, sure, lay that at their feet. But that's something that can be laid at the feet of most Americans and affects everything, not just abortion.

Bishyaler posted:

Because of our stupid two party system you end up with the former voting for the latter. Like in my state where an anti-abortion Dem is running for the House and all the pro-choice people I know are excited to vote for him because they hate the Republican who's currently in office.

The two party system is hosed but so is FPTP, the Senate, the Electoral College, seat apportionment, political judiciary and every other thing that makes the American system advantageous to a minority and lovely for the majority.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

Correct, abortions own. That should be the only "trivial" position

This. Abortion is valid medical care nobody should be shamed for. Its none of your business is someone gets an abortion.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

the GOPs apostasy on the [abortion] issue.

What do you mean by this? As its worded, it seems to say the GOP has lost faith in their pro-life stance, but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I think some of this conversation is interesting, but it has spiraled off so far from the original point.

Someone said that a person who personal believes in and would support someone or themselves getting an abortion will always be a better elected representative for the pro-choice movement and that someone who "personally would not get one" is fundamentally a net negative on the movement.

That is obviously incorrect because Mitt Romney was pro-choice for most of his life, campaigned as a pro-choice politician - even attacking Ted Kennedy for being personally against it -, and said he was moved to that by a very personal experience with a family friend. But, obviously that went right out the window when he wanted higher office in the Republican party and it would be crazy to think that Mitt Romney was a bigger champion of the pro-choice political project than Ted Kennedy.

Nobody is saying that is the ideal and greatest position to hold. Just that someone professing a personal belief in something does not actually translate into support for more bodily autonomy. See: other politicians who are pro-choice personally, but think defending anti-choice incumbents is valuable for other reasons.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

DarkCrawler posted:

The Supreme Court is about to blow up reproductive rights because United States is not a democracy. The liberals in the U.S. consistently upheld abortion rights within the legal confines of that undemocratic system.

Oh word? So they repealed the Hyde Amendment, enshrined abortion rights into law nationwide, and fought hard to maintain control of the Supreme Court?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The hypothetical is about someone who says they personally wouldn't get an abortion, but would vote and advocate for pro-choice policies.

Not someone who is explicitly pro-life politically and votes that way in Congress.

What does it matter if they "vote & advocate" for pro-choice policies if they've already poisoned the discourse through their public disapproval?

Would public anti-LGBTQ bigotry be acceptable as a "personal view" if the bigot voted for gay rights? Obama got away with it in 2008 but we'd be appalled at it today, as we should be.

It's long overdue to change the public discourse on abortion, as well, especially since now the "settled law" looks to be further overturned, as it once was under Casey. (And that was when the discourse really should've been altered, not neutered with that "safe, legal & rare" bullshit.)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

This is clearly incorrect.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Willa Rogers posted:

What does it matter if they "vote & advocate" for pro-choice policies if they've already poisoned the discourse through their public disapproval?

Would public anti-LGBTQ bigotry be acceptable as a "personal view" if the bigot voted for gay rights? Obama got away with it in 2008 but we'd be appalled at it today, as we should be.

It's long overdue to change the public discourse on abortion, as well, especially since now the "settled law" looks to be further overturned, as it once was under Casey. (And that was when the discourse really should've been altered, not neutered with that "safe, legal & rare" bullshit.)

Because, as mentioned in the post right above this one, Mitt Romney was fundamentally better "for the discourse," than Kennedy. Pelosi is better "for the discourse," but those don't translate into actual policies 100% of the time.

Nobody is saying they shouldn't try to improve the discourse. Just that someone who personally would get an abortion, but favors restrictions on it is not better than Ted Kennedy for the political project of the pro-choice movement. If you put 100% of the onus on "the discourse", then you are losing tangible goals.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Mendrian posted:

When people say, 'that baby might have gone on to cure cancer' they're being stupid. The only way in which that is true is the notion that every child born has some % chance to be a super baby that cures cancer, so you're argument would basically be the same as a gambler trying to roll the dice a trillion times in order to win the jackpot.

It's imporant to note that this style of hypothetical is almost never used about the mother. IE "That woman might have gone on to cure cancer but she was unable to complete college because she was forced to carry her rape baby to term".

That's because, and this is key, they don't give a gently caress about women beyond being baby ovens.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

For ordinary people if they vote for my agenda despite their personal beliefs that's great, doesn't mean they're all a good choice for vice president or senator or something, because if they're actually making the decisions themselves those personal beliefs might be a problem!

See Tim Kaine: a governor fought to ensure that lovely parents would retain the opportunity force their kids to give birth, oh but he gives lip service to their right to their own body great okay then.

I'm also happy if bigots who are personally disgusted with gay people stop caring about loving with us legally, that doesn't mean they'd make a good president or senator though what if something comes up where we need leaders to fight for our community not just go "ick gross go do your own thing I guess"

E: I mean we're dealing with this issue right now right, some of us warned that a president with a history of criticizing Roe and voting against women's rights (and with a blase attitude to women and girls' bodily autonomy in very gross public gropey ways) was a risky bet to really go for the mat for women's rights when they're under threat but no one listened to us and welp he gave up immediately

And that is all great if you're dealing with a system where you have the choice between anything that isn't "will vote for abortion rights" and "will vote against abortion rights". You don't have that choice because the system is hosed. It is a system that requires, among many other things, for a political block to either a) see a previous party collapse or b) use very dirty, immoral and ruthless methods to take over a party in order to exert political power.

A) isn't happening because the liberals of the Democratic Party do B) very effectively. If the left wants to have candidates who meet other requirements than "votes for abortion rights" it needs to do B) as well. There are many historical models as to how to achieve that, including in the history of the United States.

Taking your ball and going home only helps if that will actually collapse the party. It won't because like said - the left doesn't have any power over the party. Right now the six or so people you have in government who can be said to be reliably left are not the result of political genius and cutthroat maneuvering and leftist political machines but basically perfect coincidences of constituencies far more left than America in general + a charismatic candidate.

No one listens to you beyond that because they have no incentive to do so, one way or other.

Baronash posted:

Oh word? So they repealed the Hyde Amendment, enshrined abortion rights into law nationwide, and fought hard to maintain control of the Supreme Court?

DarkCrawler posted:

Now if you accuse them of consistently not doing everything possible to arrest the naked authoritarian fascism of United States and fascist Americans, sure, lay that at their feet. But that's something that can be laid at the feet of most Americans and affects everything, not just abortion.

Want to elaborate?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

No they didn't?

They confirmed a bunch of anti-abortion judges when they held the senate, they passed on protecting abortion rights in federal law every time they've had a majority since Roe (a law that under the draft decision would be constitutional), they've refused to make the court more democratic by packing it or even by appointing enough judges to make up for the stolen seat, unlike conservatives liberal judges haven't opportunistically resigned to ensure their replacement with a like-minded judge. They voted for a bunch of poo poo like partial birth abortion bans and federal funding restrictions, and worse on the state level

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

I really want to walk away from this, because I feel bad for kicking the hornet's nest. But I did bring this upon myself, and I feel like I should meet effort with effort.

Mendrian posted:

a.) First, there is no such thing as a 'potential' human life. When people talk about potential human life what they're usually doing is looking around them and thinking how tragic it would be if people they cared about or admired had simply never existed. The thing is, time isn't real. When people say, 'that baby might have gone on to cure cancer' they're being stupid. The only way in which that is true is the notion that every child born has some % chance to be a super baby that cures cancer, so you're argument would basically be the same as a gambler trying to roll the dice a trillion times in order to win the jackpot. In which case, I would say, your efforts would be better spent on figuring out what behaviors make children more likely to be productive and how we can improve that (e.g., wealth) or going to places where children are actively dying and trying to prevent those deaths. Thinking backwards from the notion of how sad it would be if you had never been existed is silly. The past does not exist, and neither does the future.

This is the only point on which we (barely) disagree. The problem with this, especially for someone like me who's in the "not human until conscious" camp, is that we already account for potential human life via the notions of viability, late-term considerations, etc... That makes the "There is no such thing as a potential human" argument really though to get through. I'd rather go for "A potential human has/would have no value worth fighting for in the first place" , which is basically saying the exact same thing.

Everything else in your post, I'm fully on board with.

Baronash posted:

It's a discussion forum, arguing is just how I pass the time.

Here's what I'm really trying to get at. I think that the position of "unfortunate but necessary" (and especially "unfortunate, necessary, and rare") existing without pushback allows for a lot of the incremental steps we've seen that have limited access to abortion over the years. Other posters have done a better job of outlining those, but I'm referring to policies like parental notification, onerous limitations on the number of weeks before which you can still receive one, restrictions on location of clinics, etc. Because when certain groups oppose abortion, and the other party only limply permits it, it's not hard for the folks who really care about it (the anti-choice ones) to strip away these rights in everything but name.

e: ~snip~ nvm, nobody here is arguing this

That's absolutely fair. If the fundamental issue with what I said is that it can be weaponized, then I have absolutely no problem acknowledging that a public persona should not be espousing that position.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 4, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

If you want to make the argument that they "consistently upheld abortion rights," you're really gonna need to back up that claim and not pretend that taking any legislative action any time in the last 50 years was impossible.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

DarkCrawler posted:

The two party system is hosed but so is FPTP, the Senate, the Electoral College, seat apportionment, political judiciary and every other thing that makes the American system advantageous to a minority and lovely for the majority.

You're a loving moron, democrats have won tons of elections at the national and federal level since Roe V Wade and yet were still here. Not going to examine or think about why that is though

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Aramis posted:

This is the only point on which we (barely) disagree. The problem with this, especially for someone like me who's in the "not human until conscious" camp, is that we already account for potential human life via the notions of viability, late-term considerations, etc... That makes the "There is no such thing as a potential human" argument really though to get through. I'd rather go for "A potential human has/would have no value worth fighting for in the first place" , which is basically saying the exact same thing.

Dead humans have the right to not give life to fully viable 40 year old adult humans who need an organ their corpse has 2 of.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

Want to elaborate?

Sure. You stated that:

quote:

The liberals in the U.S. consistently upheld abortion rights within the legal confines of that undemocratic system.

which is incorrect, given Casey, a Democrat who did more to erode abortion rights by successfully hacking at Roe, which then allowed GOP governors (and Dem governors like Kaine) to seize on that ruling & make abortion virtually unobtainable, and at the least difficult to get, in their states.

Unless you want to split hairs over what constitutes a liberal; I was using it interchangeably with "democrat," which I concede might've muddied the waters. But it does go back to your initial contention that the real enemies are republicans, when it was a democratic governor who upended Roe and opened the floodgates to state-level restrictions.

eta:

VitalSigns posted:

No they didn't?

They confirmed a bunch of anti-abortion judges when they held the senate, they passed on protecting abortion rights in federal law every time they've had a majority since Roe (a law that under the draft decision would be constitutional), they've refused to make the court more democratic by packing it or even by appointing enough judges to make up for the stolen seat, unlike conservatives liberal judges haven't opportunistically resigned to ensure their replacement with a like-minded judge. They voted for a bunch of poo poo like partial birth abortion bans and federal funding restrictions, and worse on the state level

All this too.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

And that is all great if you're dealing with a system where you have the choice between anything that isn't "will vote for abortion rights" and "will vote against abortion rights". You don't have that choice because the system is hosed. It is a system that requires, among many other things, for a political block to either a) see a previous party collapse or b) use very dirty, immoral and ruthless methods to take over a party in order to exert political power.

A) isn't happening because the liberals of the Democratic Party do B) very effectively. If the left wants to have candidates who meet other requirements than "votes for abortion rights" it needs to do B) as well. There are many historical models as to how to achieve that, including in the history of the United States.

Taking your ball and going home only helps if that will actually collapse the party. It won't because like said - the left doesn't have any power over the party. Right now the six or so people you have in government who can be said to be reliably left are not the result of political genius and cutthroat maneuvering and leftist political machines but basically perfect coincidences of constituencies far more left than America in general + a charismatic candidate.
This is I think true, it's obvious why Democrats want to be pro-life and cater to pro-life people because they are single-issue voters who will withhold their vote over it, and pro-choice people are expected to be pragmatic and VBNMW because Republicans are worse. So there's no real incentive to be pro-choice unless you're in a tough primary and you want Emily's List endorsement or something. And even then the DNC will go to the mat to protect you if you're an incumbent.

Maybe if pro-life Democrats lost pro-choice voters the incentive would be different but people care about more issues than just abortion

DarkCrawler posted:

No one listens to you beyond that because they have no incentive to do so, one way or other.
Well they thought they didn't. Maybe they thought, like Pelosi, that Republicans were just fooling and weren't going to overturn Roe. Maybe they thought, as I was assured here, that Biden had evolved into the most progressive president ever who would expand the senate and codify Roe into law, and so it didn't matter that he had a contemptuous attitude to women's bodily autonomy both politically and in gross personal ways.

They were wrong now we face the consequences

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

I really want to walk away from this, because I feel bad for kicking the hornet's nest. But I did bring this upon myself, and I feel like I should meet effort with effort.

I'm not sure how these things contradict.

When we talk about the viability of pregnancy, what are we really talking about? A woman decides to carry a baby to term, and wants to know what the odds of that happening successfully are. This isn't a measure of a 'potential human' because that person does not yet exist. It is discussing the odds of pregnancy and childbirth, nothing more.

Viability is the calculated assessment of risk and life in the face of the reality of pregnancy. 'Potential humanity' is the notion that an unborn child will one day have thoughts and feelings. I don't think those things are related.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mendrian posted:

I'm not sure how these things contradict.

When we talk about the viability of pregnancy, what are we really talking about? A woman decides to carry a baby to term, and wants to know what the odds of that happening successfully are. This isn't a measure of a 'potential human' because that person does not yet exist. It is discussing the odds of pregnancy and childbirth, nothing more.

Viability is the calculated assessment of risk and life in the face of the reality of pregnancy. 'Potential humanity' is the notion that an unborn child will one day have thoughts and feelings. I don't think those things are related.

I'm not sure I follow. Why would that life have value worth taking a risk for if not for its potential to become a person?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Because the pregnant person does or does not want to carry their pregnancy to term. Only value of any pregnancy worth considering is the value the pregnant person places on it. If the pregnant person values it because they consider it a potential life that's well and good for them. If the pregnant person does not think in these terms but still wants to carry to term and end up with a child that is equally valid.

The state doesn't need to get into the nitty gritty of personal philosophy on why a person values or does not value the specific current state of their physical body

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 4, 2022

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

I'm not sure I follow. Why would that life have value worth taking a risk for if not for its potential to become a person?

Because the subjective desire for 1 or more people to have a child ("I would like to have a baby; the experience of having a baby; the experience of raising a child") is distinct from the objective value of life itself.

Think for a moment about a woman in a doctor's office at the early stages of pregnancy. The experience of 'now' is that of pregnancy, and discussions of the future have to do with her health, the likelihood the baby is healthy and similar factors. The child's human worth doesn't exist. The fact that it might, one day, exist is irrelevant in that moment.

The fact that she may have plans or daydreams about the child are sweet, and may offer personal motivation for going through with that experience, but at that moment she is a pregnant person and not a woman and child. The fact that she has such plans or values does not mean the child already exists.

Jaxyon posted:

Eye surgery is a risk that I'm taking because I might want to see better and the odds are good I will and I value my eyes.

Getting that surgery is my choice.

Also this.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Aramis posted:

Eye surgery is a risk that I'm taking because I might want to see better and the odds are good I will and I value my eyes. There is still some dangers and I need to take them into account and that will influence my decision.

No other person has any say in it, or abortions.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That’s not what “viability” means in this context. Viability is the point at which if the fetus is removed from the uterus and rushed to the NICU, odds are it’ll pull through and continue developing. With modern medicine this is around 24 weeks. The moral calculus changes at this point because it is in theory capable of becoming an independent human without making further demands on the woman previously carrying it. Before this point it is definitely not capable of this and if it is removed from the uterus there is no known way to stop it from dying.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

haveblue posted:

That’s not what “viability” means in this context. Viability is the point at which if the fetus is removed from the uterus and rushed to the NICU, odds are it’ll pull through and continue developing. With modern medicine this is around 24 weeks. The moral calculus changes at this point because it is in theory capable of becoming an independent human without making further demands on the woman previously carrying it. Before this point it is definitely not capable of this and if it is removed from the uterus there is no known way to stop it from dying.

Thanks, I felt like I was missing some context.

I'm not sure that changes the point but I appreciate it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

Eye surgery is a risk that I'm taking because I might want to see better and the odds are good I will and I value my eyes. There is still some dangers and I need to take them into account and that will influence my decision.

No other person has any say in it, or abortions.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

jesus loving christ, with all the goddamn things going on right now this dumb motherfucker decides that this is what actually matters?

joe biden is going to lose in historic fashion in 2024

Multiple things can happen at once, and messages can have multiple audiences. It is unlikely that this speech was first scheduled today.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

haveblue posted:

That’s not what “viability” means in this context. Viability is the point at which if the fetus is removed from the uterus and rushed to the NICU, odds are it’ll pull through and continue developing.

24 is actually closer to "minimum possible". It's, at best, a coin flip at 24 weeks and the child will likely have health issues their whole life. I've seen numbers as low as 42% at that stage.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

Multiple things can happen at once, and messages can have multiple audiences. It is unlikely that this speech was first scheduled today.

The fact that it wasn't changed last minute to take advantage of the climate is extremely damning.

Poor politics and poor optics.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

haveblue posted:

Philosophically I don’t think I follow as this ignores the question of whether there was consent to being born in the first place. Without explicit consent I don’t feel one can move forward with any additional actions. The mother is the only one who can, and should, provide or not provide consent.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mendrian posted:

Thanks, I felt like I was missing some context.

I'm not sure that changes the point but I appreciate it.

The point was that I was using the medical concept of viability to argue that "There is no such thing as a potential human" is a weak argument, and if you're going to go down that road, I'd rather just acknowledge that there is little to no value in a potential human worth risking a woman's well being for.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Aramis posted:

The point was that I was using the medical concept of viability to argue that "There is no such thing as a potential human" is a weak argument, and if you're going to go down that road, I'd rather just acknowledge that there is little to no value in a potential human worth risking a woman's well being for.

The issue is that, potential or not, it's irrelevant to the subject. We already legally do not allow someone's corpse to be forced to give life to actual humans, let alone potential ones.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

and yet jesus made some blind see, some people walk, and even made at least two dead dudes not dead. hypocrite much?.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Jaxyon posted:

The fact that it wasn't changed last minute to take advantage of the climate is extremely damning.

Poor politics and poor optics.

No, it isn't. It is in fact possible for there to be multiple constituencies and multiple messages on multiple subjects. People with other views (including people who don't know about or care about Roe!) exist and are also audiences. Just because you don't find them sympathetic doesn't mean they don't matter.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Aramis posted:

I mean that's the point. A "potential human" is not a real thing. "I would like the experience of having a baby" is what the woman is actually trying to choose. Before the human exists the thing that has value is that choice. Whether or not the eventual baby has value is irrelevant.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

No, it isn't. It is in fact possible for there to be multiple constituencies and multiple messages on multiple subjects. People with other views (including people who don't know about or care about Roe!) exist and are also audiences. Just because you don't find them sympathetic doesn't mean they don't matter.

This seems like it could be argued to excuse literally any political misstep. "You're just not the intended audience" is not persuasive because everyone is the audience of the president of the United States, intended or not.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Discendo Vox posted:

Yes, it is. I agree that certain audiences exist, but part of his job is to not have these messages conflict. Celebrating paying down the deficit while fundamental rights are being taken away is bad optics. It’s out of touch

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

I never said it's impossible for multiple messaging strategies to exist.

You're arguing against a strawman.

I said this is poorly timed and planned, and should have been changed even if it was last minute. If you'd like to disagree with me, feel free to engage with my viewpoints instead of viewpoints that you would like me to hold.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aramis posted:

Uhm for the same reason people want to get pregnant in the first place?

A sperm isn't a potential human according to you but some people still want to try to get it in an egg and bring it to term and have to weigh the risks involved which they presumably do for reasons other than the sperm's moral value as a potential life since I don't see anyone frantically trying to save the millions of potential lives in damp used kleenex or socks

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

I never said it's impossible for multiple messaging strategies to exist.

You're arguing against a strawman.

I said this is poorly timed and planned, and should have been changed even if it was last minute. If you'd like to disagree with me, feel free to engage with my viewpoints instead of viewpoints that you would like me to hold.

You demanded that the subject of the existing speech be changed. Just because you are not the audience does not make the existence of a different, previously scheduled speech to another audience on another topic incorrect. As with the discussion of Kaine earlier, you are not the universe, and there are other audiences and constituencies that these people are also trying to communicate to.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

You demanded that the subject of the existing speech be changed. Just because you are not the audience does not make the existence of a different, previously scheduled speech to another audience on another topic incorrect.

Yes, I think it would be good politics to change the existing speech in light of recent events. At no point did I say it was impossible to message on multiple issues, I in fact questioned whether he should be messaging this at this time.

You replied to a strawman that you created because, i'm guessing, you are trying to elevate your disagreement with my opinion to the level of a factual discussion.

quote:

As with the discussion of Kaine earlier, you are not the universe, and there are other audiences and constituencies that these people are also trying to communicate to.

I am not the person you were arguing with earlier, and am not making any sort of argument about Kaine. This is another strawman. Please stay on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Discendo Vox posted:

You demanded that the subject of the existing speech be changed. Just because you are not the audience does not make the existence of a different, previously scheduled speech to another audience on another topic incorrect. As with the discussion of Kaine earlier, you are not the universe, and there are other audiences and constituencies that these people are also trying to communicate to.

As president, Biden should be aware of context. The time and place of his remarks has to be taken into account. While he may intend that speech for a certain audience, it may get picked up by a different audience who feels that he’s not doing enough in the current ongoing situation.

Again, celebrating the deficit being paid down while rights are taken away is not good.