Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm at 65% and I'm happy!

foutre posted:

Have to swap out the OLEDs and get rotary encoder knobs that fit, but hey! Joining the split keyboard gang.

I also immediately ordered another pcb and wireless pro micro replacements; turns out it's really satisfying to build keyboards...

E: at least when I told myself my 65% with these keycaps was my endgame I was 1/2 right.

I'm at 65% and I'm happy.......but I could be....happier

How's split ergo? I might treat myself to one of these and see if there's a quality of life improvement. I already type pretty fast and on heavy writing days I definitely feel the strain on my hands/wrists, but I'm not sure if it's an ergonomic thing or if it's a typing all day will cause discomfort no matter what thing - if there is a lot of comfort gains I'd be seriously tempted to buy one earlier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

After the better part of a year with the Sofle I got a Sinc kit; Ortholinear is too much of a pain for my fingers

But the other aspects of ergo split? I've unlearned bad type habits, and being able to put each half out at shoulder width has been really comfortable. Hopefully I can make the sinc work as well as the Sofle had been, but I realized that the layers just weren't working for me. It's a great ergo split though, don't get me wrong; just not meeting all my needs

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Artelier posted:

How's split ergo? I might treat myself to one of these and see if there's a quality of life improvement. I already type pretty fast and on heavy writing days I definitely feel the strain on my hands/wrists, but I'm not sure if it's an ergonomic thing or if it's a typing all day will cause discomfort no matter what thing - if there is a lot of comfort gains I'd be seriously tempted to buy one earlier!

Depends what you're looking for, ergonomics and comfort aren't necessarily 1:1. If you regularly feel discomfort or strain you could be risking an RSI, but there are a ton of different types and a split ergo will address some and not others.

For me it was life changing, because I type all day and was starting to get serious hand and wrist pain and that's all gone. Some of the gains can be had simply from having a board that lets you remap stuff, which can reduce finger and wrist movement. Being able to move things apart and tent them can really help with wrist, forearm, chest, and shoulder posture and strain though.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Artelier posted:

My trajectory exactly lmao.

I'm just a couple days into it so my typing speed is still quite slow, but being able to fully spread them apart to shoulder width is great. I have a sprained wrist atm, which is what finally got me to switch, and for that its substantially better. I'm not sure how much that'll translate to general lack of strain yet though, and it has been weird trying to adjust to using non-thumb fingers as modifiers.

I'm still fiddling with the layout a good bit, so we'll see how it develops, but so far so good, even if my usage isn't really equivalent yet. Once the sprained wrist heals and I can type normal amounts of time again I'll find out, I guess. I'm also in the process of printing a tenting case, so maybe that'll change things as well!

Fwiw I do really like the sofle so far, I thought the encoders would end up just a cute gimmick but they're genuinely useful.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

i swear I've heard/read that wrist rests are bad because they actually put extra pressure on the tendons and contribute to RSI. is this not true or are more accessories worth the risk?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

i swear I've heard/read that wrist rests are bad because they actually put extra pressure on the tendons and contribute to RSI. is this not true or are more accessories worth the risk?
I've read the same thing, and that they're better used as palm rests for this reason

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Where does your mouse go when you use a split keyboard? Do you put it in the middle in between the two boards? Is it way over to the right?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I usually put it in front of the right board so I can move laterally more (I use an ultrawide monitor)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saw this amazing engraved board as a keyboard contest entry and was reminded about how I wanted this to be more of a thing with custom group buys. Just amazing.

https://keebs.gg/jaekeyed/luminary-sun-custom-engraved-neo87-222

Even comes with a video with how it was done:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0xVN_fsRMU

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 29, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Artelier posted:

Where does your mouse go when you use a split keyboard? Do you put it in the middle in between the two boards? Is it way over to the right?

I just put mine further to the right. If I'm typing a lot then I'm mostly using the keyboard so a little extra stretch isn't a big deal. If I'm not typing a lot and using the mouse mostly (gaming) then I put the two halves together to create a very large mouse space.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Mr. Mercury posted:

I usually put it in front of the right board so I can move laterally more (I use an ultrawide monitor)

Hopefully you're not pushing the right board back to do that because the halves being the same depth is a Big Ergonomics Deal iirc

Taffer posted:

I just put mine further to the right. If I'm typing a lot then I'm mostly using the keyboard so a little extra stretch isn't a big deal. If I'm not typing a lot and using the mouse mostly (gaming) then I put the two halves together to create a very large mouse space.

It was this for me, except when gaming I went all-in on maximizing that mouse space by setting all keybinds on the left half, then tucking the right half away entirely (pushed up above the left one, underneath the monitor). Super luxurious. Now that I'm back on a rigid single piece 75% I have to play with a lower mouse sensitivity and I miss it.

Does anyone itt do the mouse in the middle thing?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
no, that's ridiculous. the middle is where your bowl of macaroni goes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Gorgeous. 380 hours though :/

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Unsinkabear posted:

Hopefully you're not pushing the right board back to do that because the halves being the same depth is a Big Ergonomics Deal iirc

Does anyone itt do the mouse in the middle thing?

I'm not, I just have a kickass desk with lots of space!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mewse posted:

Gorgeous. 380 hours though :/

Definitely. I wouldn’t expect this level of detail for group buys since it’s truly custom, but you’ve got some keebs being released at absurdly low numbers like 20-30 for a set priced at $1500+ and yet they look pretty plain. Bruh

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sonnet is live.

https://modedesigns.com

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I haven't heard anything, and I've been watching this thread closely for any updates. I PM'd them back on 3/19 about shipping stuff, but never heard back. Hope they're okay.

I reached out to them early last month too - here in PMs and on discord. Haven't heard anything in either place. I hope you're doing well ES!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

I've read the same thing, and that they're better used as palm rests for this reason

What the gently caress kinda wrist rest goes anywhere near your wrist anyway? Every one I've ever seen or used goes under the thicc part of your palm.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was sure my favorite keys were gonna be big loud clacky blues, but I've bought some Gateron Silent yellows, and the quiet office-like sound, and then the linear weirdly soft feel, but not like overly soft? Is really good, but now I'm wondering what more I could do. I guess lube the keys would make them quieter. Do O rings work and effect the... Texture the keys have? I'm also noticing I type faster on the linear keys then I did on the blues. I guess there's a mod where you pack the back of the thing with foam? I guess what I'm asking is what else can I do to make this a bit quieter? especially the space bar which is just a tiny bit clackier then everything else.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Lubing will definitely help the overall feel and sound when typing. I wouldn't bother with O-rings period, but especially wouldn't bother if your switches are already 'silent'. The only hiccup is that lubing silent switches is slightly trickier than lubing a normal switch as you will want to avoid getting lube on the tiny rubber pads on the switch stem. This video does a good job of demonstrating these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTfFtWCerns&t=838s.
You could also add switch films and oil the springs while you have the switches open.
The spacebar will always sound a bit different since there's just more space for sound to echo around in. You can lube/mod the stabilizers to improve the spacebar sound.
While you can buy (or cut) foam to fit underneath the spacebar, this isn't very common. Normally you would pack a small sheet of foam inside the case underneath the PCB or/and between the PCB and the Switch Plate (this piece will have cut-outs for every switch).

Depending on which keyboard you have not all these mods may be possible or easy enough to be worth the effort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
The stem picker tool in that vid is my favorite.

Seconding the "don't bother with O-rings."

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I personally like o-rings because they reduce travel distance, make bottoming out quieter, and also make the key returning to neutral quieter. Returning to neutral is where most of the typing noise is

Khorne fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 4, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I reached out to them early last month too - here in PMs and on discord. Haven't heard anything in either place. I hope you're doing well ES!

More than a little bit worried at this point!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Khorne posted:

I personally like o-rings because they reduce travel distance, make bottoming out quieter, and also make the key returning to neutral quieter. Returning to neutral is where most of the typing noise is

O rings do literally nothing for dampening the noise from the upstroke. The only thing that mutes that is bumpers inside the switch on the stem of a silenced model. O rings only mute the downstroke.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gwaihir posted:

O rings do literally nothing for dampening the noise from the upstroke. The only thing that mutes that is bumpers inside the switch on the stem of a silenced model. O rings only mute the downstroke.
It seems plausible that O-rings could have some effect on the noise of the upstroke. Obviously they won't dampen the impact itself but the limiting of travel means there's less time for the key to accelerate up before impact. There's also whatever effect the extra mass has on the acceleration from the spring, and probably also a dampening effect on the vibration of the key itself after impact.

I have no idea how much actual effect that would add up to so I'm not saying it's significant, but it's not unreasonable that someone could hear the difference.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

If you press/release slowly and keep your finger on the cap then I agree they do nothing for upstroke. With rapid presses & going nowhere near bottom out & not having your finger on the key beyond actuation there's a noticeable difference in how loud/pingy the keys are.

Maybe it's more accurate to say it makes the noise much deeper and less pingy/sharp/annoying. Most of the noise on upstroke sounds like it's from the keycap rather than the switch even though it originates from the switch. I agree good silenced switches sound much better on upstroke.

e: I guess I can pull the caps off my gateron silent browns & remove some o rings later to do a sound test. I can say that with mx reds & mx browns orings did help a lot on the rattle after returning to neutral.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

All the keyboard pros I know hate o rings. Tons of better way to deal with sound changes is what they say.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

That doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, imho. Most hobbies are chock full of things that are hated by pros but are still perfectly serviceable (sometimes even ideal) solutions for beginner and intermediate level folks. Humans have a remarkably consistent tendency to completely and utterly forget what something was like in the beginning, and become unable to think in anything but endgame terms (no offense to your friends, just speaking in generalities here). Often the pro choice is the pro choice because of the other very specific things they do along with it, and is not unilaterally applicable on its own (or at all).

I used to manage a hobby shop and if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone give bad advice (both customers and employees) that needed to be corrected because the person they were advising was never, ever going to successfully do (or even attempt) their sacred solution, I could have quit that job so much sooner.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 4, 2022

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

you need a silenced topre board with adjustable activation height. good luck.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Unsinkabear posted:

That doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, imho. Most hobbies are chock full of things that are hated by pros but are still perfectly serviceable (sometimes even ideal) solutions for beginner and intermediate level folks. Humans have a remarkably consistent tendency to completely and utterly forget what something was like in the beginning, and become unable to think in anything but endgame terms (no offense to your friends, just speaking in generalities here). Often the pro choice is the pro choice because of the other very specific things they do along with it, and is not unilaterally applicable on its own (or at all).

I used to manage a hobby shop and if I had a dollar for every time I heard someone give bad advice (both customers and employees) that needed to be corrected because the person they were advising was never, ever going to successfully do (or even attempt) their sacred solution, I could have quit that job so much sooner.

I think it's getting worse in that discourse about hobbies is often stilted towards long-time members and all parties involved are quicker to monetize hobbies.

O-rings are fine, and they're probably the cheapest thing in mechanical keyboards you buy and try out, just gotta make sure you've got clear intentions and managed expectations like with other purchase

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nondescript Van posted:

you need a silenced topre board with adjustable activation height. good luck.

It feels like "BACK IN THE DAY" these particular boards were heralded as the be all end all, and now, like, they just feel kinda "ok" lol.

(Topre does feel entirely unique in the spectrum of switches, but in the expanse of current options, I don't think it's exactly a great feel to go for.)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I think it's getting worse in that discourse about hobbies is often stilted towards long-time members and all parties involved are quicker to monetize hobbies.

Definitely feels that way.

Gwaihir posted:

It feels like "BACK IN THE DAY" these particular boards were heralded as the be all end all, and now, like, they just feel kinda "ok" lol.

(Topre does feel entirely unique in the spectrum of switches, but in the expanse of current options, I don't think it's exactly a great feel to go for.)

I think they were kidding (got a chuckle out of me, anyway) but I get where you're coming from. For whatever another data point is worth, I tried a buddy's HHKB and those legit Topre switches are the only thing I've touched that I liked as much or more than my Boba U4s. Definitely not enough of an upgrade over Bobas to justify the cost premium between the two, but they are very nice and the sound is just as unique as the feel. I think it's just a divisive thing that you either love or don't.

I don't get why they're so expensive and exclusive, though (or why the knock-offs somehow don't manage to feel or sound the same). I would do crimes for a reasonably-priced split 65-75% with topres. For one with a reflective top plate, RGB, macro keys (gently caress it, I'll give on this and just get a macropad), and a knob, I might do a murder.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 4, 2022

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

half kidding. most of that "THOCK DOES IT THOCK BUT WHAT ABOUT THOCKINESS???" crap is trying to get close to topre. for an hhkb being a hollow piece of plastic it sure doesn't sound like it.

I did some silence o rings in my hhkb stems and it breaks the tactile bump just enough to where it's basically linear. I think the hasu controller can change activation height but I haven't looked in to it much.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I used a Topre Typeheaven for a while at work, like... 7? something years back when I still had a cube before getting an actual office. I did like it, it wasn't really like anything else I'd tried, but I don't think it's something I'd buy again, is the best description I think I can have for it. Especially given the reduced options for swapping keycaps, etc.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I hate nothing more about this hobby than "thock[y]" as an adjective/verb

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Unsinkabear posted:

That doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, imho. Most hobbies are chock full of things that are hated by pros
Pro in this context is someone who cares a lot about keyboard look/"subjective sound"/"feel while not actually typing" rather than someone who is good at using a keyboard. It's not even as elitist as it sounds, because I knew before posting orings would get heat because they go against the current hobby trends.

Orings, from the perspective of typing/gaming/whatever, have no impact on performance. They're one of the four main ways to reduce typing noise. With the other 3 being more impactful: silenced switches, lubed stabilizers, and foam.

There are a few gimmicks aimed at enthusiasts like zeal silencing clips & landing pads, but they're oring: tedious install, identical at best performance, significantly more cost edition. Realistically, I don't expect anyone who cares about feel/sound to like orings.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 5, 2022

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to pull out an old 104 iKBC with a big loving steel plate. Cherry browns. I modded it to the hilt, crytox lube, etc.

Turns out im entirely done with this 'hobby'. Cherry browns when properly modded are the best thing i've ever tried. So now im out!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
In terms of things that are the dumbest keyboard gimmicks that have been picked up and raved over I have to personally give the award to switch films. Perfect intersection of extremely tedious to install, while also being impossible to pick up on in a blind test.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I dont have any blind tests on hand but I feel like the difference films make is extremely obvious for lots of switches. On some switches it doesn't make any noticeable difference, but in my experience it does for most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bless gazzew for figuring out how to make good switches that don't need lubing or filming or anything