Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

and that mans name *choking back tears* was hold door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

General Dog posted:

Cersei blowing up the Sept was a real turning point, after which nobody's actions (especially Cersei's actions) really had any consequence. From that point on, the larger world surrounding our main characters stops really having any response to their actions.

You are 100% right. I loved that moment. I hated that nothing came of it.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

That DICK! posted:

and that mans name *choking back tears* was hold door

That's hold the door to you.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
if i had Bran's ability i would have gone back in time and made Hodor say something funnier than Hodor, like Fart.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

if i had Bran's ability i would have gone back in time and made Hodor say something funnier than Hodor, like Fart.

There must be a way to gently caress up a sentence so his name becomes CUM

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Instead of “Hold the Door” they yell “Oh poo poo they’re coming!”

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

HOLD UP! FIFTEEN YEARS FROM NOW THE LIVING DEAD WILL RISE TO WIPE OUT HUMANITY PLEASE WAIT LIKE TEN YEARS TO TELL NED STARK THIS OR WE COULD HAVE SOME WEIRD TIME PARADOX poo poo IN STORE. HOLD UP! FIFTEEN YEARS FROM NOW THE LIVING DEAD WILL RISE TO WIPE OUT HUMANITY PLEASE WAIT LIKE TEN YEARS TO TELL NED STARK THIS OR WE COULD HAVE SOME WEIRD TIME PARADOX poo poo IN STORE. HOLD UP! FIFTEEN YEARS FROM NOW THE LIVING DEAD WILL RISE TO WIPE OUT HUMANITY PLEASE WAIT LIKE TEN YEARS TO TELL NED STARK THIS OR WE COULD HAVE SOME WEIRD TIME PARADOX poo poo IN STORE! HOLD UP IN STORE! HODOR! HODOR!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Happy Landfill posted:

You are 100% right. I loved that moment. I hated that nothing came of it.

Maybe the most disastrous decision the show made in the home stretch was the decision to make Cersei the ultimate big-bad (at least up to the penultimate episode). If you want to deviate from the books and make her the ultimate Machiavellian schemer in a world full of Machiavellian schemers, then that's fine, I get it; but you actually have to make her clever and, you know, good at scheming. Instead she just just pulls one reckless, public back-stab after another, and despite her ostensibly tenuous position in King's Landing, everyone around her seemingly just shrugs and takes it rather than putting her head on a stick and handing over the key to the city to Dany or literally anyone else. She doesn't make it to the end because she's cunning and ruthless, she makes it to the end because she has plot armor.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 4, 2022

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Does Cersei even have any good schemes that are mostly her work?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
She got away with killing Robert but it was kind of a fluke, getting him drunker than he planned on a hunting trip

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Robert would have gotten shitfaced and fallen into a cesspit eventually.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

bobjr posted:

Does Cersei even have any good schemes that are mostly her work?

Seems like she and Qyburn planned the Sept bombing together. That worked, but in the world that the earlier seasons established, it should've produced massive blowback that she wouldn't have had an answer to.

I've forgotten, how did she pay for the mercenary army she had at the end? Did she just talk the Iron Bank into another loan, or did she strong-arm them somehow?

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

I think she just told mycroft she needed the money.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

An insane mind posted:

I think she just told mycroft she needed the money.

Just fell prey to sunk cost fallacy I guess

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

General Dog posted:

Cersei blowing up the Sept was a real turning point, after which nobody's actions (especially Cersei's actions) really had any consequence. From that point on, the larger world surrounding our main characters stops really having any response to their actions.

that's the other hosed-up thing! one of the whole appeals of GoT and ASoIaF is that there's this whole interconnected world out there. GRRM goes deep on every family's lineage, random Lannister cousins show up, you have sub-houses and offshoots and the like

and you're telling me that Cersei blows up Mace and Margaery and Loras and their army in the capital ... goes home? And the High Septon dies so his fanatics give up? usually making a martyr of a dude tends to galvanize his suicidal fanatics!

but no, in S7/8 every house is just one person. Ellaria Sand kills Doran Martell so she automatically leads Dorne -- he Daynes and Yronwoods and Velaryons just go "wow OK". And then the Reach, the richest and least-ravaged by the War of the Five Kings save for Dorne, gets mega-owned in a week by the Lannister army, who have suffered hilariously large casualties up until this point?

like man, if you're gonna introduce the Golden Company and build them up a bit, why not then? The Lannisters are reeling but they use their gold to hire mercenaries and defeat their enemies. Easy poo poo!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

General Dog posted:

Seems like she and Qyburn planned the Sept bombing together. That worked, but in the world that the earlier seasons established, it should've produced massive blowback that she wouldn't have had an answer to.

I've forgotten, how did she pay for the mercenary army she had at the end? Did she just talk the Iron Bank into another loan, or did she strong-arm them somehow?

Remember how Qyburn stole Varys Little birds by bribing them with sweets? And it somehow worked?

Same deal as the bank - the plot needed them to help Cersei, so they did.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
poor Varys. lmao. reminds me of that video of the table read.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

At the time I gave the writers too much credit and was utterly convinced that the little birds were just pretending to go along with Qyburn, and were gonna stab the gently caress out of him as soon as Varys needed them to.

But no. This army of highly intelligent child-spies, who owe everything they have to Varys, got bought out by a creepy old dude giving them candy.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

The Lannisters sacked Highgarden and stole all the gold. Cersei then bizarrely used the gold to pay the debt to the Iron Bank and then immediately afterwards took out a new loan, which she used to hire the army. I guess paying back the original loan improved her credit rating, or something. It would have made a lot more sense to simply renegotiate the terms of the original loan with the gold as collateral, but her having the money in the first place was well explained.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 4, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SimonChris posted:

The Lannisters sacked Highgarden and stole all the gold. Cersei then bizarrely used the gold to pay the debt to the Iron Bank and then immediately afterwards took out a new loan, which she used to hire the army. I guess paying back the original loan improved her credit rating, or something. It would have made a lot more sense to simply renegotiate the terms of the original loan with the gold as collateral, but her having the money in the first place was well explained.

I thought Dany destroyed their loot. I guess Cersei just gave the bank a big lump of half-melted gold coins?

(I know melted gold would still have plenty of value, but it’s a funny visual to imagine)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

I thought Dany destroyed their loot. I guess Cersei just gave the bank a big lump of half-melted gold coins?

(I know melted gold would still have plenty of value, but it’s a funny visual to imagine)

No, Dany only destroyed the food. There is a line dialogue saying that all the gold made it safely back to King's Landing.

It's a good thing the much-hyped coming winter turned out to be completely inconsequential, so losing all the food from the Reach was no big deal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah, okay. Seems like the Iron Bank would just say “thanks for the payment, but we’re not feeling great about your ability to pay off another loan at this time,” by GoT gonna GoT.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SimonChris posted:

No, Dany only destroyed the food. There is a line dialogue saying that all the gold made it safely back to King's Landing.

It's a good thing the much-hyped coming winter turned out to be completely inconsequential, so losing all the food from the Reach was no big deal.

Honestly they just utterly and totally ignore the winter thing. I think most viewers took it to mean "the ice zombies are coming" rather than anything else

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm trying to imagine Bran actually presiding over court or any public event and there's like no realistic way those common folks as presented in Westeros would bow to the weirdo for more than a few months, maybe a year before open rebellion for someone more respectable or threatening. Unless Bran became the evil animal warging tyrant that befitting of his magic.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its just hosed up and stupid stop thinkin bout it you'll get pissed off.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bran’s story was so good that the show shelved it for an entire season

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Book Cersei tells the Iron Bank to gently caress off and builds a bunch of ships to fight them, only to lose them all because the guy she put in charge of them takes them to do his own thing, and she only did it because she thought he was hot.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if Euron started asking questions when Cersei still wasn’t showing 20 months into her pregnancy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm trying to imagine Bran actually presiding over court or any public event and there's like no realistic way those common folks as presented in Westeros would bow to the weirdo for more than a few months, maybe a year before open rebellion for someone more respectable or threatening. Unless Bran became the evil animal warging tyrant that befitting of his magic.

The show utterly throws all the smallfolk stuff away, they might as well not exist

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I'm still chuckling at the moment they bring the zombie to King's Landing and show it to everyone, and Euron Greyjoy gives that little speech about how he's scared shitless and is going to retreat back to the Iron Islands. And his actor delivers his lines in such a way that he might as well have the words "HE IS LYING HIS rear end OFF" flashing underneath him. It was just an utterly unconvincing performance.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I'm still chuckling at the moment they bring the zombie to King's Landing and show it to everyone, and Euron Greyjoy gives that little speech about how he's scared shitless and is going to retreat back to the Iron Islands. And his actor delivers his lines in such a way that he might as well have the words "HE IS LYING HIS rear end OFF" flashing underneath him. It was just an utterly unconvincing performance.

To be fair the actor was probably a bit miffed he didn't get to play actual Euron but had to settle for this pirates of the carribean reject instead.

Aw and that made me remember the showrunners making fun of the guy who played barristan selmy and now I'm sad.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Dave and Dan really showed themselves to be complete petty shitheads to the bitter end. They kept sending fake scripts to their actors so no wonder they thought everything in the last season was a joke at first. It's ironic, if they had handed the reigns to a different team and the last seasons were still lovely the fanbase probably would have remembered them quite fondly.

The Sept scene was so brilliantly shot and executed--everything from the set up, the dawning realization of, "hey, what would cersei do if she was backed in to a corner?", the scene with Tommen being framed in such a way that you know what he's about to do and yet you're still shocked when it happens (at least I was)...I'm almost convinced that wasn't Dave and Dan's work. And as bullshit as it was, all the scenes of Kings Landing burning were pretty excellently shot as well

Just so much wasted potential :cripes:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 5, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

Dave and Dan really showed themselves to be complete petty shitheads to the bitter end. They kept sending fake scripts to their actors so no wonder they thought everything in the last season was a joke at first. It's ironic, if they had handed the reigns to a different team and the last seasons were still lovely the fanbase probably would have remembered them quite fondly.

The Sept scene was so brilliantly shot and executed--everything from the set up, the dawning realization of, "hey, what would cersei do if she was backed in to a corner?", the scene with Tommen being framed in such a way that you know what he's about to do and yet you're still shocked when it happens (at least I was)...I'm almost convinced that wasn't Dave and Dan's work. And as bullshit as it was, all the scenes of Kings Landing burning were pretty excellently shot as well

Isaac Hempstead Wright said that when he got the script for the final episode and read that they made Bran the king out of loving nowhere, he legitimately thought Weiss and Benioff were loving with him and sent him another joke script, so he called them up and asked if it was real and when they said yes, he hung up the phone and spent the rest of the night in his hotel room having a full on panic attack because he realized everything was beyond hosed.

The fact that these two gigantic Jupiter-sized dipshits got IMMEDIATELY iced out of Hollywood's good graces after the finale to Game of Thrones splattered across the cultural zeitgeist and erased a literal decade of cultural staying power remains to this day a thing a pure poetic justice and beauty :discourse:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 5, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

There's good stuff in the late seasons. It's just few and far between and probably there is no good stuff in Season 8.

Like, I like the attack on the wagon train. That was really good. Jaime desperately charging Dany in her moment of weakness even though he was highly likely to get roasted.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Isaac Hempstead Wright said that when he got the script for the final episode and read that they made Bran the king out of loving nowhere, he legitimately thought Weiss and Benioff were loving with him and sent him another joke script, so he called them up and asked if it was real and when they said yes, he hung up the phone and spent the rest of the night in his hotel room having a full on panic attack because he realized everything was beyond hosed.

The fact that these two gigantic Jupiter-sized dipshits got IMMEDIATELY iced out of Hollywood's good graces after the finale to Game of Thrones splattered across the cultural zeitgeist and erased a literal decade of cultural staying power remains to this day a thing a pure poetic justice and beauty :discourse:

I wonder if, when he didn't really get many other roles he thought "well it'll be fine, I can do the convention stuff" and then got that script and went "oh. gently caress."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

I wonder if, when he didn't really get many other roles he thought "well it'll be fine, I can do the convention stuff" and then got that script and went "oh. gently caress."

He's said several times he wanted to retire from action after GOT ended and explore being a director instead. Lucky for him, he spent a decade in the company of a group of really great television directors who managed to make the most of sub-par material, so he's got a pool of contacts to lean on if he ever wants to go down that role. But yeah, the "oh. gently caress, my career is over" reaction to reading those last few scripts is probably a reaction a LOT of people on the cast and crew mutually had, I would wager.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn’t mind the episode at the beginning of S8 where everyone is just hanging out in Winterfell prior to the Long Night. It’s fan-servicey and a tremendously poor allocation of screen time with so few episodes remaining, but in a vacuum it’s the last episode that isn’t stupid and miserable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

It's especially funny because their real passion project was to make a show with the completely novel and original premise of "what if the South won the Civil War, and it's also the modern day", in the era of George Floyd, BLM, and the Trump presidency.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

General Dog posted:

I didn’t mind the episode at the beginning of S8 where everyone is just hanging out in Winterfell prior to the Long Night. It’s fan-servicey and a tremendously poor allocation of screen time with so few episodes remaining, but in a vacuum it’s the last episode that isn’t stupid and miserable.

Even The Long Night is... okay-ish, up until it's last ten minutes. Basically, the moment Jorah Mormont dies is the moment the show enters its irrecoverable tailspin. Nothing watchable occurs beyond that threshold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

General Dog posted:

And it has Jaime knighting Brienne (if you mean ep2, if not apologies). Such a fantastic moment.