Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

ikanreed posted:

My wife has never heard of crypto but is a freelance artist right now, and just recently got real actual money paying job(through a third party with guaranteed escrow for payment) for drawing NFT layers in Photoshop,, and she could not understand what exactly people were paying her employer for.

"You can't even hang it up, I still own the copyright, what are they paying for?" is an exact quote.

(Yes, her employer never even signed an intellectual property agreement of any kind)

Please find the nft, then have her publicly submit c&d letters to everyone who purchased it for displaying without buying a license from her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yesterday the tweet of the story about the NFT market collapsing had the most amazing denial replies, all of which boiled down to "nu-uh! no it isn't! to the moon!" with associated charts of nonsense

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i wonder what the third wave of NFT nonsense will be

first it was individual pieces of art, or other singular things like tweets, and basically all interest in that stuff has already collapsed

the second wave is all this procedurally generated animal avatar bullshit

what's next

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ikanreed posted:

My wife has never heard of crypto but is a freelance artist right now, and just recently got real actual money paying job(through a third party with guaranteed escrow for payment) for drawing NFT layers in Photoshop,, and she could not understand what exactly people were paying her employer for.

"You can't even hang it up, I still own the copyright, what are they paying for?" is an exact quote.

(Yes, her employer never even signed an intellectual property agreement of any kind)

hope she's not expecting them to respect the copyright

they're not asking for the copyright because they either don't know she keeps the copyright or don't care because they don't fear copyright enforcement

nft hucksters very much operate under "ask forgiveness, not permission" when it comes to other people's intellectual property rights

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ikanreed posted:

I want her to enforce her copyright and get the NFTs taken down, but on the other hand I don't want her to be the target of cryptocoiner rage

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Have her sell the copyright to the images to the NFT holders. Might as well hop on the gift train while the griftin is good

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

repiv posted:

first it was individual pieces of art, or other singular things like tweets, and basically all interest in that stuff has already collapsed

what's next

virtual real estate for virtual platforms Coming Soon, so crypto bros can dream of buying up premium land and playing landlord

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

This is both funny and sad as hell

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1521887486179381248

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

repiv posted:

what's next

NFT is just a type of scam. First it was ICO, next was NFT.. the next big scam will be a POO.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they just need a different blockchain
https://twitter.com/MartinY71145876/status/1521556827657453578

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ymgve posted:

I want her to enforce her copyright and get the NFTs taken down, but on the other hand I don't want her to be the target of cryptocoiner rage

I don't think the law would be on her side, to be honest. While she signed no contract, I think most courts would see an implicit grant to use and redistribute for work she was specifically hired to do and knew the main purpose of.

Oral contracts are weak and shouldn't be relied upon, but they do exist.

That she still is the primary copyright holder, I think is unquestionable, but either way, suing people who hired you over technical quibbles isn't a great way to get ahead.

It would be funny though

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

NFT is just a type of scam. First it was ICO, next was NFT.. the next big scam will be a POO.

if you ignore NFT, the next one will be SotC and then TLG

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

these people don't see how much of a sickness they have, that they're mentally the exact same as any degenerate gambler. LMAO

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

LifeSunDeath posted:

these people don't see how much of a sickness they have, that they're mentally the exact same as any degenerate gambler. LMAO

Shut up, I can quit slurping my apes anytime I want.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1521896646237372416

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

what's next

Getting a job (lol)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they do have a job, well paying ones in fact. its just that they arrested development menchildren that very very very dumb with money.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Nobody told me that I had to also feed those drat monkeys!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zil posted:

Shut up, I can quit slurping my apes anytime I want.

I slurp two apes when line goes up, I slurp two when it hits the floor
I slurp two apes before I slurp two apes, and then I slurp two more

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

What does Jane Goodall have to say about all this?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BoldFace posted:

Nobody told me that I had to also feed those drat monkeys!

feed the internet monkey machine all of your cash.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

feed the internet monkey machine all of your cash.

Does it accept ones?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

repiv posted:

what's next
Slurp juice

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/oda_cm/status/1521974093871865856?s=21&t=RsrU69dbFBxqo_rWTX4lYA

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

HOLY
loving
poo poo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
so hang on, how much does an ape juice cost? i think i got a uh a slurp coin somewhere around here, can I mint w/that??

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
Yeah baby

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1521897135783956483?t=MFJAajG-xeH0vZLARDnHhg&s=19

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

repiv posted:

what's next

This landed in one of my spam boxes last week:

https://www.notboring.co/p/tokengated-commerce

quote:

We should ask: how does a community endorse another up-and-coming community on the internet? With collaborative tokengating: when two brands get together, and flip exclusivity into reciprocal inclusivity.

What are tokengated collabs? When The Hundreds does a collab with Deadfellaz, and you can unlock limited edition merch with an NFT from either of their collections, that’s a tokengated collab. When Superplastic does a collab with Gucci that’s gated to holders of a secret SUPERGUCCI NFT, that’s a tokengated collab.

Here’s where the magic starts to happen: I belong to my community, you belong to your community, but when we do a collab together, I can invite you in; and you can invite me in. Tokengated collabs flip exclusivity into reciprocal inclusivity. A century-old brand like Gucci gets to endorse a really hot brand like Superplastic, in a way where their fans are both inviting each other into this shared experience, and this shared community they now have together.

Interestingly, this idea also seems like it would only matter to people with excess money to burn on ephemeral junk. We'd best get on board at last, I anticipate ravenous demand for the SA x Christmas Island brand collab,

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Goldbelly exclusives only available to Something Awful NFT holders

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
[really noisily] SLUUUUUUUUUUUUURP [several revolting ape pictures shoot out of my nostrils and start arguing about which poo poo coin will go to the moon]

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Hammerite posted:

so hang on, how much does an ape juice cost? i think i got a uh a slurp coin somewhere around here, can I mint w/that??

You don't buy the ape juice, you harvest it. I hope you brought some soft gloves and plenty of lube

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wow, Mark Levin is looking great

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Saying things are cringe is pretty worn out, but holy poo poo cameo videos like that make my entire body tense up and I stop breathing until I start laughing nervously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKEy-58Np_E

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

repiv posted:

what's next

Calling it now: It's going to be some bullshit thing where the bag holder's computers are used to operate the backend of whatever service is tied to the token. It will be billed as the revolutionary innovation that finally addresses the one and only issue that NFTs suffered from.

It will crash as soon as one of those services is inevitably found to harvest real bank credentials.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

istewart posted:

You don't buy the ape juice, you harvest it. I hope you brought some soft gloves and plenty of lube

I wasn't supposed to use a blender and a sieve?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

they sold all their cows for magic beans

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

they sold all their cows for magic beans

Will be some poo poo when they only have FF14 as their only source of income. Makes me worried how much of a fight YoshiP will put up before it gets microtransactioned to hell and back.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/ricardovalp/status/1521988429646508032

looks like bitcoin has not fixed this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I was just wondering when the crypto crash was going to hit.

Actually it makes sense it's right when big corps are buying into it. That's like when your dad gets into that band you like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Bad news about the slurp juice dude

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1521971428035379200