Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TheMopeSquad posted:

It's worth a watch just to see Hugh Grant's character.

absolutely, and Colin Farrell has a lot of fun there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I posted this in the horror thread but I'll post it here too. I watched Broadcast Signal Interruption on Shudder, and really liked it.

Its a mystery thriller set in 1999 with some obvious influences from Zodiac, Driver, and The Matrix. It had a very "noir detective story" feel, especially in the score. Probably my favorite thing I've seen on Shudder.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Id honestly say skip The Gentlemen. Sure Hugh Grant is fun but it kinda blows. Maybe not as much as Wrath of Man, but it's not really worth your time. Kinda wack Joe Carnahan tier poo poo. I'm not sure you need to watch any Ritchie past Revolver (purely for Sweaty Liotta). Maybe RocknRolla is okay? I can't remember.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Two things I just finished:

Mr. Robot (complete series): I saw the first season back when it was new but never followed up until a friend insisted. It's tough to reconcile because to me the draw of the show is the actual hackers vs. elites plot that drives it forward, so all the stuff with Elliot's internal battle to control multiple personalities just feels like a slog. The twist in S4 is very dumb and bad, but thankfully not enough to ruin the show. I did enjoy that they never switched up doing fun experimental things like the dialogue free-episode, the corny play episode and the TV-obsessed hitman which reality bends around. It never quite reaches the highs of the acoustic Where Is My Mind? scene from S1 but it was still consistently good-to-great up through the finale.

Ozarks (final season): loving sucks! A lot of people die and Jason Bateman's character still feels bad about it but who cares? There was never any real tension because when everyone is either working for the cartel or a rival heroin dealer who am I hoping succeeds or fails? Maybe more of it would have been impactful if it was a miniseries but five seasons later it just seems like a bunch of good actors going through the motions.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I just finished the first episode of Ozark and it comes across as “Breaking Bad: Republican Edition”.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Id honestly say skip The Gentlemen. Sure Hugh Grant is fun but it kinda blows. Maybe not as much as Wrath of Man, but it's not really worth your time. Kinda wack Joe Carnahan tier poo poo. I'm not sure you need to watch any Ritchie past Revolver (purely for Sweaty Liotta). Maybe RocknRolla is okay? I can't remember.

I really enjoyed Wrath of Man but couldn't get through The Gentlemen. I really don't like Guy Ritchie outside of snatch though so I definitely not part of his targeted audience

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I thought The Gentlemen was straight garbage and turned it off about 20 minutes in. Everything from the writing to the acting to the editing felt an amateurish but in an embarrassing way, like no one involved had any idea what they were doing or what they were supposed to be doing. I chalk that up to incompetent directing, which seems about right for Guy Ritchie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just finished the first episode of Ozark and it comes across as “Breaking Bad: Republican Edition”.

I got enough of that with the Shield/Wire comparisons.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm not quite sure how you're getting that. Like Marty's liberarian speech at the beginning isn't meant to be good any more than Gordon Gecko's speech is. He does the whole diatribe about money being everything, except he immediately loses all of his money and almost gets his whole family killed because he was greedy and loving around with dangerous people and stupid people. I'm watching the final season now, so lol if I don't like where it goes, but the start was pretty good at making Marty a pretty pathetic kind of guy.

I really liked the bit of characterization where Marty's true fantasy is picking up a sex worker just so that she could tell him what an awesome man he was and that his wife was entitled and ungrateful and no one understood what a cool, smart, handsome man he was and what he sacrificed. I thought it painted quite the picture. It takes him a bit to go full monster with them but I thought they did an alright job of getting ahead of the Walter White is a sick rear end anti-hero.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ozark doesn't fare well dropping at the same time as new BCS episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

Two things I just finished:

Mr. Robot (complete series): I saw the first season back when it was new but never followed up until a friend insisted. It's tough to reconcile because to me the draw of the show is the actual hackers vs. elites plot that drives it forward, so all the stuff with Elliot's internal battle to control multiple personalities just feels like a slog. The twist in S4 is very dumb and bad,

absolutely agreed, but boy did every other goon loving love it at the time haha

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of BCS, just caught ep 1 s 6 and after several years of watching mid-to-good ranging shows, coming back to BCS is jarring with just how incredible it is. The shots are all just mesmerizing. An old, weathered tricycle in a parking lot, the contrast of yellow and black through a hotel room window in rural Mexico, etc etc etc.

It really is the most expertly crafted show in history, IMO - from a purely aesthetic perspective, it's basically perfect.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's just a lot of poo poo the Byrdes are juggling all the time it's overwhelming.

OMG the ending was so bad

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Glad I skipped the last season. I went back to KotH this week holy poo poo. It holds up so well dude. You can progress through the 2000s with the show it’s really interesting

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm not quite sure how you're getting that. Like Marty's liberarian speech at the beginning isn't meant to be good any more than Gordon Gecko's speech is. He does the whole diatribe about money being everything, except he immediately loses all of his money and almost gets his whole family killed because he was greedy and loving around with dangerous people and stupid people. I'm watching the final season now, so lol if I don't like where it goes, but the start was pretty good at making Marty a pretty pathetic kind of guy.

I really liked the bit of characterization where Marty's true fantasy is picking up a sex worker just so that she could tell him what an awesome man he was and that his wife was entitled and ungrateful and no one understood what a cool, smart, handsome man he was and what he sacrificed. I thought it painted quite the picture. It takes him a bit to go full monster with them but I thought they did an alright job of getting ahead of the Walter White is a sick rear end anti-hero.

Yeah, I already hate Marty and just finished the first episode. It took me until letting Jane die that I turned on Walter White.

mcmagic posted:

Ozark doesn't fare well dropping at the same time as new BCS episodes.

BCS just has more...characterization and style when you compare the first episodes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

Glad I skipped the last season. I went back to KotH this week holy poo poo. It holds up so well dude. You can progress through the 2000s with the show it’s really interesting

Even just the second to last season got tiresome. Just a never-ending circle of "The Byrdes have a hot new scheme that could get them out of this mess -> Unforeseen circumstances happen -> Oh no, now they gotta think of another hot new scheme to get them out of this mess", repeat forever.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Wolfsheim posted:

Mr. Robot (complete series): I saw the first season back when it was new but never followed up until a friend insisted. It's tough to reconcile because to me the draw of the show is the actual hackers vs. elites plot that drives it forward, so all the stuff with Elliot's internal battle to control multiple personalities just feels like a slog. The twist in S4 is very dumb and bad, but thankfully not enough to ruin the show. I did enjoy that they never switched up doing fun experimental things like the dialogue free-episode, the corny play episode and the TV-obsessed hitman which reality bends around. It never quite reaches the highs of the acoustic Where Is My Mind? scene from S1 but it was still consistently good-to-great up through the finale.

Late to the party, I'm just catching up with Mr Robot and loving it ... but I've only done seasons 1 to 3. It is a show that's not afraid to experiment with things, some great sound design and music, great cinematography. And does things that are just weird and unexplained, just to unsettle you. I'd really like to see what the creator does next.

I've been trying and dropping lots of things - there's an infinite choice of series that are just okay, and start to grate after several episodes. Almost everything I've seen could lose about 20% in length and improve.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nonathlon posted:

Late to the party, I'm just catching up with Mr Robot and loving it ... but I've only done seasons 1 to 3. It is a show that's not afraid to experiment with things, some great sound design and music, great cinematography. And does things that are just weird and unexplained, just to unsettle you. I'd really like to see what the creator does next.

I've been trying and dropping lots of things - there's an infinite choice of series that are just okay, and start to grate after several episodes. Almost everything I've seen could lose about 20% in length and improve.

the thing about the twist in Mr. Robot season 4, is that, no matter what stupid idea you have you could not possibly guess the content and stupidity of the twist

like, for real. absolutely nothing in seasons 1-3 even remotely hints at it, and in fact, a lot of things that happen don't even fit with the twist. it's so dumb haha

that said i still enjoyed every episode. it's just, man, that twist... it's so bad

for those who want to know it turns out that the entire reason Elliott has DID is that his dad molested him. YEP! GREAT, HUH?! and it turns out literally the entire show was in Elliott's head, none of it actually happened. There was no White Rose or Evil Corp or Darlene or ANYTHING. lmao

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Perestroika posted:

Even just the second to last season got tiresome. Just a never-ending circle of "The Byrdes have a hot new scheme that could get them out of this mess -> Unforeseen circumstances happen -> Oh no, now they gotta think of another hot new scheme to get them out of this mess", repeat forever.

This is pretty much the entire show but they do it well. Jason Bateman is endlessly likeable so that helps.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

precision posted:

the thing about the twist in Mr. Robot season 4, is that, no matter what stupid idea you have you could not possibly guess the content and stupidity of the twist

like, for real. absolutely nothing in seasons 1-3 even remotely hints at it, and in fact, a lot of things that happen don't even fit with the twist. it's so dumb haha

that said i still enjoyed every episode. it's just, man, that twist... it's so bad

for those who want to know it turns out that the entire reason Elliott has DID is that his dad molested him. YEP! GREAT, HUH?! and it turns out literally the entire show was in Elliott's head, none of it actually happened. There was no White Rose or Evil Corp or Darlene or ANYTHING. lmao

lol

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

that makes sense because the season where there was civil unrest or whatever seemed like a dream to me. it made no sense. and then the guy just makes himself a computer god or something dumb like that. all my IT friends were jizzing themselves because they used a linux terminal in the show and overlooked how dumb the plot was I guess

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mr. Robot is best left after the S1 finale with the limo/illuminati mansion meeting.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

I can't tell if you are joking, or if you are one of those people who genuinely didn't realize that the finale was a two-parter and skipped the final episode. There were several of those in the season 4 thread.

For the record, the show is NOT all in Elliot's head.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 5, 2022

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

yeah this is wrong

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

precision posted:

I stopped watching after the fourth of fifth episode of this show and now I'm glad I did. loving lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
how so? i mean i'm exaggerating but that's broadly what happens

i would love to be wrong but the entire Mr Robot schism being caused by his dad molesting him is actually the plot of Mr Robot season 4, the last episode doesn't invalidate that at all?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gave the first episode of that new Netflix show The Pentaverate a try, basically a comedy about an illuminaty-like secret society with the gimmick that they're genuinely nice and well-meaning. So far it seems... really bad. Perhaps Keegan-Michael Kay will manage to elevate it, but the Michael Myers parts sure are terrible.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Perestroika posted:

Gave the first episode of that new Netflix show The Pentaverate a try, basically a comedy about an illuminaty-like secret society with the gimmick that they're genuinely nice and well-meaning. So far it seems... really bad. Perhaps Keegan-Michael Kay will manage to elevate it, but Michael Myers parts sure are terrible.

haha i literally came to post "if you want to kill yourself but can't find a high enough bridge you can try watching more than 10 minutes of Mike Meyers playing 5 different loving people"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

i would love to be wrong but the entire Mr Robot schism being caused by his dad molesting him is actually the plot of Mr Robot season 4, the last episode doesn't invalidate that at all?

The part about his dad molesting him is true, but the show was not all in his head. It all really happened. The alternate reality in the final two episodes is merely a mental construct. He comes back to the real world and Darlene in the end.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 5, 2022

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

That part is right, but the "literally the entire show was in Elliott's head, none of it actually happened. There was no White Rose or Evil Corp or Darlene or ANYTHING" is 100% wrong-o. IIRC, at the end Darlene even tells him it all happened. The thing that wasn't 'real', though, was the Elliot persona. The Elliot we saw throughout the series was another personality. The hacks, the destruction of E-Corp, White rose's machine, that was all real. The machine didn't work, though.

It's a very good show, and fun to re-watch after you know the first reveal

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 5, 2022

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

haha i literally came to post "if you want to kill yourself but can't find a high enough bridge you can try watching more than 10 minutes of Mike Meyers playing 5 different loving people"

Remember when actors playing multiple characters in a comedy movie was set up to be the hot new thing? What mercifully killed that, was it Adam Sandler's Jack & Jill?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Wtf I just found out there is a new season of Bosch coming out tomorrow. I thought it was over after the last season.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

isaboo posted:

That part is right, but the "literally the entire show was in Elliott's head, none of it actually happened. There was no White Rose or Evil Corp or Darlene or ANYTHING" is 100% wrong-o. IIRC, at the end Darlene even tells him it all happened. The thing that wasn't 'real', though, was the Elliot persona. The Elliot we saw throughout the series was another personality. The hacks, the destruction of E-Corp, White rose's machine, that was all real. The machine didn't work, though.

It's a very good show, and fun to re-watch after you know the first reveal

Yeah when I said the twist was bad I meant the child molestation part but its easily ignored because the rest works quite well. Though I did assume the white rose machine did work before it was destroyed, and we just never learned what it actually did. Kind of a good natured last 'gently caress you' to the audience.

But yeah they emphatically say "no everything still happened" in the last few minutes of the show just in case you assumed they were pulling something (which that other poster still missed, lol).

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Tainen posted:

Wtf I just found out there is a new season of Bosch coming out tomorrow. I thought it was over after the last season.

Looks like it is technically a spinoff called Bosch: Legacy

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Tainen posted:

We will never be rid of Bosch.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Finished three episodes of “Ozark”.

There’s just so many little things that I find watching that just makes me respect the Breaking Bad series so much more. I mean “Ozark” isn’t bad, but it’s just little creases in the show that I notice that BB and BCS iron out.

And the fact that the show becomes “very dumb” by the last season doesn’t inspire me to watch more.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's like breaking bad light. And I mean that in the best way possible

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I would argue that it doesn't become very dumb so much as by S2 there's this kind of ongoing dumb vibe when you realize there's no rhyme or reason to when or how characters die, not even really an internal logic within the constraints of the show. Things just kind of happen and people react to them.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 5, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I definitely wouldn't have stuck with Ozark if it weren't for Ruth, what a fuckin gently caress great loving performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I thought you goons would be all over Outer Range (Prime), but I barely recall it being mentioned in this thread. It’s very good in an Outer Limits/Twilight Zone meets Yellowstone kind of way.

Penultimate ep and season 1 finale drop tomorrow.