Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

they don't really count as video games imo. or at least most of them don't.

wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Visual novels are absolutely video games

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
What about ones with no choices at all? What is the definition of a video game?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

marumaru posted:

read houseki no kuni

wow!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

marumaru posted:

read houseki no kuni

I've been doing so, started last year and I'm on volume 9 now. It's a real gut-punch of a manga and I'm loving it! Kinda glad nobody told me about the hiatus before I kicked this off or I would have waited forever, HxH has trained me to expect the worst there.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Clarste posted:

What about ones with no choices at all? What is the definition of a video game?

almost all visual novels use the format (art, the mechanics of how text appears on the screen, ways in which the player experiences the story) in a way that you'd be completely unable to classify as any other medium than 'video game'.

games can be lots of things. encyclopedia brown books were games. games studies stuff is really interesting

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they're multimedia software but most of them have no gameplay so. they're not games. they're visual novels.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In Japan, visual novel is primarily a brand name used by one publisher and the genre as a whole is typically called novel games

So they're games.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

they're multimedia software but most of them have no gameplay so. they're not games. they're visual novels.

'gameplay' isn't really a term that means anything, is the thing. nobody can agree on what it means, which sort of makes it useless in discussions. mostly because 'play' is a much more well defined term historically, and encompasses way more than I think you'd define "gameplay" as lol

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's interesting that Visual novel in the US is like bandaid where people use the name brand instead of the descriptive generic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, I think visual novel was used by Chunsoft. And then you have Sound Novels, which are most famously used to refer to the When They Cry series. There's really just a huge venn diagram between novel games (VNs), ren'ai sims (dating sims), and ADV games (narrative adventure games).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

From like a game dev side, the sections of the game which have dialog and character portraits are usually labeled as ADV in the code. Or like controls will distinguish between ADV controls and exploration controls or whatever.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Varinn posted:

'gameplay' isn't really a term that means anything, is the thing. nobody can agree on what it means, which sort of makes it useless in discussions. mostly because 'play' is a much more well defined term historically, and encompasses way more than I think you'd define "gameplay" as lol

"Gameplay" is often used as a stand-in for "mechanics", i.e. "rules"

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Click to advance to the next line" is a rule, I suppose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Clarste posted:

From like a game dev side, the sections of the game which have dialog and character portraits are usually labeled as ADV in the code. Or like controls will distinguish between ADV controls and exploration controls or whatever.

You can see this in the remake of 999 for the Nonary Games collection, where the original narration in paragraph form is Novel mode and the new mode which is just dialogue portraits all the time is ADV mode.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're games because we understand them as games, they're sold as games, they utilize the same audio-visual mediums as games, we interact with them at our own pace like games.

On that note, I've been going through Robotics;Notes lately and the way the chapters work in that one is loving bonkers (though I'm sure someone's done it before, I don't actually play that many VNs).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Arist posted:

They're games because we understand them as games, they're sold as games, they utilize the same audio-visual mediums as games, we interact with them at our own pace like games.

No objection to the rest, but certainly we can interact with books at our own pace?

Also, marketing aside, could a book-reading app on your computer be considered a game?

Edit: Let's say it plays ambient music unrelated to the book you're reading.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I recently finished R;N and really didn't understand what they were going for with that structure, yeah. Would have lost nothing if it had just been a progression of character-focused chapters that you go through linearly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Clarste posted:

No objection to the rest, but certainly we can interact with books at our own pace?

Sure, but I might also argue that the precise mechanism through which dialogue is delivered in a VN is a combination of a book and a film or, yes, a game, because it's more like something you passively absorb most of the time and it's more cumbersome to go back and reread sections even if there's a log.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
gaming on my kobo right now

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

and again, there are books that are games! the encyclopedia brown books I had as a kid were all like a bunch of a mysteries, with the answers in the back. thats games

a lot of modern arguments about what gameplay and stuff is are people defining the terms strictly off modern video games, which doesn't really make sense in the larger context of what games are

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A Funko Pop is a game because they're sold at Gamestop.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

A Funko Pop is a game because they're sold at Gamestop.

This is the only truth

marumaru
May 20, 2013

secretly best girl posted:

I've been doing so, started last year and I'm on volume 9 now. It's a real gut-punch of a manga and I'm loving it! Kinda glad nobody told me about the hiatus before I kicked this off or I would have waited forever, HxH has trained me to expect the worst there.

only 9998 to go!

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Contextually VNs can be referred to as games uncontroversially in ordinary situations. Only when a distinction needs to be drawn is there a question, at which point the character of such a necessity should be taken into account to arrive at an answer. On the other hand, it would be very odd to refer to a book, even an ebook, as a game pretty much anytime outside of a CYOA or something (exceptional case). It's a matter of culture and context

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

mycophobia posted:

Contextually VNs can be referred to as games uncontroversially in ordinary situations. Only when a distinction needs to be drawn is there a question, at which point the character of such a necessity should be taken into account to arrive at an answer. On the other hand, it would be very odd to refer to a book, even an ebook, as a game pretty much anytime outside of a CYOA or something (exceptional case). It's a matter of culture and context

What about these things?

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

I think that falls into the CYOA, etc exception I mentioned

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

mycophobia posted:

sounds like theyre games op

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Varinn posted:

sounds like theyre games op

That's basically what I said! Only when there needs to be a circumscribed limit to the concept "game" would a VN even possibly fall out of one if it were drawn. In ordinary conversation our culture dictates that one can refer to a VN as a game and no one will likely bat an eye unless they want to start a philosophical discussion like this

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nate RFB posted:

I recently finished R;N and really didn't understand what they were going for with that structure, yeah. Would have lost nothing if it had just been a progression of character-focused chapters that you go through linearly.

while i liked steins;gate well enough i can't say I'm interested in the slightest in their other games. robotics;notes has an ok anime though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mycophobia posted:

That's basically what I said! Only when there needs to be a circumscribed limit to the concept "game" would a VN even possibly fall out of one if it were drawn. In ordinary conversation our culture dictates that one can refer to a VN as a game and no one will likely bat an eye unless they want to start a philosophical discussion like this

i object as they're the crystalization of fake gamer bait much like those auto battle games and other forms of games where you basically just click next or watch it play itself. at least something like disco Elysium has rpg mechanics to give it something more than endless conversations. which is fine I just don't consider them to be video games and rather just some kind of extra fancy comic book.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh no fake gamers

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

i object as they're the crystalization of fake gamer bait much like those auto battle games and other forms of games where you basically just click next or watch it play itself. at least something like disco Elysium has rpg mechanics to give it something more than endless conversations. which is fine I just don't consider them to be video games and rather just some kind of extra fancy comic book.

You can consider whatever you want, it doesn't change what I said!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm a fake gamer

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

lol

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

I'm a fake gamer

by which I mean, I only play FFXIV

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

dogsicle posted:

oh no fake gamers

They’re to be feared.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The only fake gamers I'm concerned with is those idiots that made Darkest Dungeon too hard by complaining the game was too easy when they didn't even play the loving game.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
the incredibly real and important cred of which games are real. the stolen valor of being a fake game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

But seriously, all play is valid, from the soccer moms and their crush crush to grognards who simulate WWII with little plastic models of tanks and infantry. You play a game, you're a gamer.