Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Man that Penguins-Rangers games was one of the ten funnest hockey games I have ever watched. Just finished watching it and wooooooo I'm buzzing.

My cool and good Pens fan buddy I watched it with commented during the second OT "every time I see Geno and Kapanen I think the Rangers are about to score and I'm probably gonna be right" and I said "maybe but the deeper into OT we go the more dangerous Geno and Kap are gonna get, since they don't waste energy playing defense." Felt like the Rangers had like 8 good chances to score and win and they just didn't get it done.

Shame DeSmith got injured during one of the best games I've ever seen him play. But I kind of think Domingue might be the better goalie, at least if he'll stop that infuriating loving thing where he jumps out over-aggressively to play the puck and then freezes once it's on his stick. He's going to give up at least one backbreaking worst-possible-time MAF tribute goal doing that before this series is over.

I love Sid and Geno and Jake and Tanger so much :allears: even if they go down in 5 now the memories of that game will always warm by cold dead blackened heart.

Ginette Reno posted:

I noticed Gallant doing that and was kind of confused why the Reaves line kept going out against Guentzel-Crosby-Rust.

The Rangers aren't even vaguely trying to disguise their strategy of trying to knock Guentzel out of the series ASAP. It's comically clear that's what Gallant is doing there

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Strangest thing of the Rangers game was how gassed the Rangers ended up looking compared to the Pens come the OT periods. I guess maybe the old men know to save something in the tank or just have less raw speed but more endurance or something.

Letang for instance looked like he could have gone another 3 and been smiling

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah but Letang's an inhuman freak whose endless energy is fueled by his unquenchable hatred of all that lives and loves.

He really did dominate the game more and more as OT wore on. In theory a long OT should favor the Rangers since the Pens' best players are all old, but Crosby is in such ungodly shape and Letang has such freakish stamina that it seemed to go the other way.

DeSmith really kept the Pens in it in regulation though. Rangers totally dominated most of the first and could easily have scored 3 or 4 there.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

trilljester posted:

Better yet, remember when Jack Johnson was a THING? hahahaha Mr. Kite loved him.

I remember somebody here bought a JMFJ Hurricanes before he even played a game for them. They were some die hard Michigan fan I think. :lol:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

trilljester posted:

Better yet, remember when Jack Johnson was a THING? hahahaha Mr. Kite loved him.

Jack Johnson is loving tragic man, his parents raised him to be a hockey robot then stole all his money as quick as they could. It totally derailed his career. I feel for that guy.

https://deadspin.com/how-jack-johnsons-parents-screwed-him-and-left-him-mill-1663583325

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

oh and P.S. the overturned goal was absolutely goalie interference, Kakko was already barreling full steam toward Desmith and would have run him over even if Dumo had been nowhere near him. Dumo is so slow and weak that he didn't get there in time to alter Kakko's trajectory in any case.

I hope Gallant is dumb enough to keep matching Reaves against Crosby/Guentzel but he probably isn't. If that continues though you can expect Reaves to get tossed for trying to murder Guentzel, he knows that's the job he's expected to do. Here's hoping he's not successful!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Domingue having to start game 2 would be kinda rough, but he does have plenty of NHL experience and isn't the worst third string goalie to rely on. And at least game 2 isn't must win, so perhaps CDS would be ready by game 3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I kinda like Domingue, at least relative to DeSmith. Throwing a mostly unknown (with the Pens at least) lefthanded goalie at them is probably +EV in any case, tough to gameplan for and they might be able to steal a series before the video scouts catch up. DeSmith's just a bog standard backup goalie ill suited to deal with all the odd man rushes the Penguins inevitably allow, and unless his play last night is actually the start of a sustained Inexplicable Hot Goalie streak it's only a matter of time before the Rangers ring up 4 in a period on him IMO.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 5, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Did someone post this last night and I missed it? I'm laughing so hard at this

https://twitter.com/liam_mchugh/status/1521682954652684290?s=20&t=FbCcboipWJQrJzosIYv7lQ

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

https://twitter.com/liam_mchugh/status/1521682954652684290?s=20&t=FbCcboipWJQrJzosIYv7lQ

No, because it's not from last night it was from when the two teams played each other pre-playoffs about a week ago.

It's still funny though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

No, because it's not from last night it was from when the two teams played each other pre-playoffs about a week ago.

It's still funny though.

Ah, still rules.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
watch Nashville scam their way to a 2-1 series lead lol

Nashville is maybe the best example of a team where it doesn't matter who they are playing or who is in their lineup, they have a 50% chance of winning any given game lol.. You'll see them play 3 in 4 against Tampa, Florida and Carolina and think "oh great we can make up some ground on them" and then you look at the end of the week and they went 2-0-1. Then the next day they'll lose to Detroit by 4 goals.

I feel like the Predators play the same season over and over again in perpetuity.. never making any progress or falling behind.. the eternal 2nd tier team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Strangest thing of the Rangers game was how gassed the Rangers ended up looking compared to the Pens come the OT periods. I guess maybe the old men know to save something in the tank or just have less raw speed but more endurance or something.

Letang for instance looked like he could have gone another 3 and been smiling

I think it was a combination of line rotation where Sullivan was able to spread minutes very effectively between his top 3 lines and his system + the execution absolutely ground the Rangers down. Be interested to see what the zone time splits looked like 'cause the Pens forced the Rangers to play a ton in their own zone after the first.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Nashville is 1st in hits per game averaging 30.1 and 1st in PIM per game at over 12:30. They've got skilled players that can score (and when healthy Saros can steal a game) but then they'll also have games where they just goon it up and get wrecked by a team actually trying to play hockey. The Preds had 59 hits and 37 shot attempts last night compared to the Avs 47 hits and 69 shot attempts last night. The Flames/Stars game only had a combined 54 hits last night, Nashville alone outdid both teams.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Raanta down. Another goalie hit by the playoff curse. What's going on this year

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

BRB going to add another entry to my List of Reasons Being A Bruins Fan is Indicative of a Significant Personal Moral Failing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Marchand is still a tremendous wiener

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is Pastrnak's fist cursed now or what?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Is Pastrnak's fist cursed now or what?

well it certainly doesn't seem to be helping him score any goals right now so maybe it has been turned to stone

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

On one hand, it really does look like Pastrnak is trying to avoid body contact with Raanta. The other hand drove right into his face, though. And since David’s a Bruin the verdict is clear, acid vat.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
So good watching bruins playing all their favourite playoff hits like running goalies, loads of uncalled chopping and slashing between whistles etc, and having it not work for once

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

aejix posted:

So good watching bruins playing all their favourite playoff hits like running goalies, loads of uncalled chopping and slashing between whistles etc, and having it not work for once

The best response to goonery remains scoring a bunch of goals on your opponent

and then slashing the tip of their finger off when no one is looking

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It should be illegal for the homophobic Hurricanes to play in June and therefore they should lose.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

That's true. If I don't notice him, that means he is also not being too much of a negative.

Unfortunately, we noticed Wayne Simmonds tonight

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Extremely hosed up that Corey Perry just disappeared John Tavares from the playoffs two years in a row and nobody's even talking about it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Koopa Kid posted:

Unfortunately, we noticed Wayne Simmonds tonight

Yeah he was the only really Bad player for Toronto tonight imo. Honestly like if it had to be a loss tonight that was a much better loss than I’ve felt from this team in previous playoff series, where they’d just stop loving trying if they were behind in the third. Everyone was still going for it until the dying seconds, and that’s what they really needed to change.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So to go back to a previous topic, the Leafs traded Kadri for taking selfish cheap shots in the playoffs that hurt his team, and he was a waaaay better player then than Clifford or Simmonds are now.

The Leafs played Tampa even or better when they weren’t killing dumb, unnecessary penalties. Dubas and Keefe’s jobs are explicitly on the line in this series, what they do about this is going to say a lot about them and their careers.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

It was loving delightful.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Announcing schedule for the first two nights of the TNT/TBS portion of the first round:

quote:

Thursday, May 5
G2: Pittsburgh at NY Rangers, TNT 7 p.m. – Kenny Albert, Eddie Olczyk, Bryce Salvador, Jackie Redmond
G2: Washington at Florida, TBS 7:30 p.m. – Brendan Burke, Darren Pang, Jennifer Botterill, Tarik El-Bashir
G2: Nashville at Colorado, TNT 9:30 p.m. -Randy Hahn, Shane Hnidy, Darren Eliot, Taryn Hatcher
G2: Dallas at Calgary, TBS 10 p.m. – Dave Goucher, Drew Remenda, Meaghan Mikkelson, Erika Wachter

Friday, May 6
G3: Carolina at Boston, TNT 7 p.m. -John Forslund, Keith Jones, Colby Armstrong, Shannon Hogan
G3: Toronto at Tampa Bay, TBS 7:30 p.m. – Brendan Burke, Butch Goring, Jennifer Botterill, Julie Stewart-Binks
G3: Minnesota at St. Louis, TNT 9:30 p.m. – Jim Jackson, Jody Shelley, Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre, Ashali Vise
G3: Edmonton at Los Angeles, TBS 10 p.m. -Randy Hahn, Bret Hedican, Mike McKenna, Alyson Lozoff

Full list: https://awfulannouncing.com/schedules/your-nhl-playoffs-announcing-schedule-for-5-2-5-9.html

Why couldn't they put Hahn and Remenda back together? :sigh:

e- Who the gently caress is Mike Monaco for ESPN?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 5, 2022

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Wrong thread but hell yes

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
pretty boring night in the nhl

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This man got a shutout.

https://i.imgur.com/gomZRTW.mp4

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
It gets better every cycle.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

heehee posted:

pretty boring night in the nhl

Actually it was exciting and ruled

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
May 15, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHdZUf_-QgA&t=50s

May 04, 2022
https://v.redd.it/fys2d9orrkx81/DASH_480.mp4

10 years later and still a shithead loser.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Truly the reason the Kings lost was the effectiveness of Mike Smith in all aspects of THE GAME

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Rangers on TNT means Reavo is scoring at least 1 goal.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Evander Kane's working out pretty well for a guy with a massive gambling problem and domestic violence allegations that probably shouldn't have been working out well currently in the NHL, huh?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

Evander Kane's working out pretty well for a guy with a massive gambling problem and domestic violence allegations that probably shouldn't have been working out well currently in the NHL, huh?

I mean, no one said he was not a good hockey player. Plus, he has to know there’s a lot of scrutiny on him right now and he is essentially playing in a contract year. He has a lot of incentives to not be a piece of poo poo.

That said, he is absolutely a horrible person and shouldn’t be playing in the NHL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
if the media covering your team never scrutinizes any decisions and talks poo poo about fans that do, picking up a player like kane is a decent move. lol