Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm also real curious why so many other gods were locked away as well. Did Ammit have allies? Were there others who also tried to usurp others power? Did Ammit trick the gods still around into locking up others who saw through her, or had powers/duties she wanted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Are we going to see Yahweh, or Jesus? MCU is really going in on the "gods are just aliens or mutants or superrobots," so why not Judeo-Christian religions?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

live with fruit posted:

She-Hulk seems like the worst character to do that with. And didn't they just do that with Moon Knight?

Did you... watch Moon Knight?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I don't care what that one guy said, that was definitely Jake talking to Harrow in the one scene In the afterlife asylum.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Don't know if you guys heard but Disney deleted all their old "series finale" tweets about Moon Knight and replaced them with "season finale" tweets, so here's to 6 more episodes of murderous mayhem and allegorical weirdness from Konshu and Jake! (plus hopefully another kaiju fight)

edit: oh looks like this was just a silly rumor, there's nothing concrete and in fact one of the directors said that there's nothing confirmed yet. Alas, we'll just have to wait and see.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bleck posted:

Did you... watch Moon Knight?

There was one scene of his origin and it was in the next to last episode.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Don't know if you guys heard but Disney deleted all their old "series finale" tweets about Moon Knight and replaced them with "season finale" tweets, so here's to 6 more episodes of murderous mayhem and allegorical weirdness from Konshu and Jake! (plus hopefully another kaiju fight)

edit: oh looks like this was just a silly rumor, there's nothing concrete and in fact one of the directors said that there's nothing confirmed yet. Alas, we'll just have to wait and see.

It ended in a cliffhanger that they have to wrap up so there kind of has to be another season, or a movie I suppose.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Feige and crew had a "next ten years of the MCU work shop" retreat this past week. I'm sure the positive Moon Knight reception was something they discussed for their upcoming plans.

The idea with the most weight to me, is the Blade/Black Knight threads being developed which could also tie in Moon Knight too eventually.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I also really loved the little girl asking if she was an Egyptian superhero :3:

I adored this part. :3:

Disney has gotten so much better at representation since Endgame lmao

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rarity posted:

Yeah, May Calamawy was so good in that scene.

I also really loved the little girl asking if she was an Egyptian superhero :3:

I was smiling like an idiot at this. Really well done.

Everyone posted:

That actually brings to mind a couple of thoughts I had about Ammit

Usually with a character like Harrow (cult leader/etc.) there's a good bit of "the rules are for thee but not for me." But Harrow was straight up drinking all of Ammit's Drink Aid. Once she was free he clearly expected her to kill him and was basically fine with it. On some level he seemed to want her to end him and pick one of the "pure/good" souls to be her avatar. It Ammit who refused and insisted on Harrow being her avatar and continuing to lead his group. I think that gives us a clue as to why she was banished in the first place.

Yeah, I really liked this, and it surprised me. I wasn't expecting Harrow to be a legit true believer. His only real flaw, I guess, was that he didn't have a problem with Ammit being totally okay with Harrow's unbalanced scales. But he believed she knew what was right, so if he was okay in her eyes, he must be okay. Harrow was the real deal, which is scarier than a con-man. Shame his story is over, but also I'm glad they're not (it would appear) going to try to find a way to drag it out. His story is over, whether Marc killed him or not.

Actually, this just brought up a question (that may be dumb, but I watched it pretty early this morning, so tell me if I missed something obvious). Was Ammit still imprisoned in Harrow's body when Jake killed him? Thus killing Ammit? Or did they just kill Harrow so he wouldn't try to bring Ammit back again?

A.o.D. posted:

I don't care what that one guy said, that was definitely Jake talking to Harrow in the one scene In the afterlife asylum.

I don't think that works with what we just heard of Jake's accent.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

pik_d posted:

I'm also real curious why so many other gods were locked away as well. Did Ammit have allies? Were there others who also tried to usurp others power? Did Ammit trick the gods still around into locking up others who saw through her, or had powers/duties she wanted?

I figured the other gods did stuff that the goody two shoes ones didn't like and they sealed them away. There may not have been a war in heaven, just that Osiris and the others were all "Dammit Sokar, you ate my lunch again! You're going into stone!" "Apep, you keep leaving the seat up, i fell in again, that's it Ushapti time!"

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Rarity posted:

Super Layla

Hippo Knight :colbert:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

She got that Hippo Drippo :coal:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I was smiling like an idiot at this. Really well done.

Yeah, I really liked this, and it surprised me. I wasn't expecting Harrow to be a legit true believer. His only real flaw, I guess, was that he didn't have a problem with Ammit being totally okay with Harrow's unbalanced scales. But he believed she knew what was right, so if he was okay in her eyes, he must be okay. Harrow was the real deal, which is scarier than a con-man. Shame his story is over, but also I'm glad they're not (it would appear) going to try to find a way to drag it out. His story is over, whether Marc killed him or not.

Actually, this just brought up a question (that may be dumb, but I watched it pretty early this morning, so tell me if I missed something obvious). Was Ammit still imprisoned in Harrow's body when Jake killed him? Thus killing Ammit? Or did they just kill Harrow so he wouldn't try to bring Ammit back again?

I don't think that works with what we just heard of Jake's accent.

You know what, I think you're right. I just keyed up both scenes in separate windows and realized I missed an important detail. loving spoilers, bitches.

In the asylum, right when Marc freaks out with the glass pyramid while talking to Harrow, he says, and I quote: "You're going to release that monster! *HE* (emphasis mine) is going to destroy everything!" He's not talking about Ammut. Ammut is female. He's not talking about Khonshu, because Harrow isn't trying to release him, and Khonshu has already been free. He's talking about the third personality in the sarcophagus. He's worried that Jake is going to get out and as we see at the very end, Jake does get out.

Although I will say one thing, we don't know what Jake's English speaking accent is, because he only speaks Spanish in the closing scene.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

thrawn527 posted:

Actually, this just brought up a question (that may be dumb, but I watched it pretty early this morning, so tell me if I missed something obvious). Was Ammit still imprisoned in Harrow's body when Jake killed him? Thus killing Ammit? Or did they just kill Harrow so he wouldn't try to bring Ammit back again?[/spoiler]

As far as I could tell, she was still inside him. I mean, I don't recall anyone saying that she wasn't still inside him. I figured that was one reason he kept Jake as his avatar. Khonshu wanted to make sure that this bit of business was well and loving truly concluded. No magic/godly fuckery somewhere down the line. Harrow dies and drags Ammit with him to whatever passes for Hell in Ancient Egyptian theology. The End.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Everyone posted:

As far as I could tell, she was still inside him. I mean, I don't recall anyone saying that she wasn't still inside him. I figured that was one reason he kept Jake as his avatar. Khonshu wanted to make sure that this bit of business was well and loving truly concluded. No magic/godly fuckery somewhere down the line. Harrow dies and drags Ammit with him to whatever passes for Hell in Ancient Egyptian theology. The End.

Yes that was the plan that the Osiris avatar said: Seal Ammit inside a mortal so she could finally be destroyed.

However.... If they freed Ammit and Khonshu by destroying the vessel they were trapped in, wouldn’t “destroying” Harrow free Ammit again?

Maybe best not to think too hard about that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Why is Khonshu a skeleton when Ammit is flesh and blood?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

because nobody likes Konshu!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

live with fruit posted:

Why is Khonshu a skeleton when Ammit is flesh and blood?

The years were unkind to him. Or rough on him, I forget what the line was.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

The episode was pretty fun, enjoyed the action, espescially Khonshu's weird shifting movement tech and both god fights, and Jake coming to save the day against Harrow twice. Tawaret and Layla was a pretty fun dynamic, and Layla herself was really good this episode, barring the terrible interaction with the kid. "Oh, I know you just saved me and all, but you're egyptian, right? If you aren't the same race and gender as me it's just so hard to empathize with you." "Yes, I'm a female Egyptian superhero, aren't I so stunning and brave?"

Everyone posted:

That actually brings to mind a couple of thoughts I had about Ammit

Usually with a character like Harrow (cult leader/etc.) there's a good bit of "the rules are for thee but not for me." But Harrow was straight up drinking all of Ammit's Drink Aid. Once she was free he clearly expected her to kill him and was basically fine with it. On some level he seemed to want her to end him and pick one of the "pure/good" souls to be her avatar. It Ammit who refused and insisted on Harrow being her avatar and continuing to lead his group. I think that gives us a clue as to why she was banished in the first place.
It's always nice to see zealot characters break the mold and actually believe their spiel to the end. It's part of why I like Khonshu, he's a manipulative dick, but he's got his principles i.e. gently caress all predators of the night.

live with fruit posted:

Is he not exploiting Marc's mental disorder for his own gain? That seems pretty villainous.
If Steven is a totally real personality that gets to make his own decisions and junk, Jake should too. Is he not allowed to make his own decisions? When did body control become a democracy? :v:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Well, United States of Tara eventually had Tara declare a mental dictatorship when Bryce started killing off the other alters.

But as far as the dictatorship went, it was relatively benign.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
After chewing on it a little, I think this was my favorite bit in all of Moon Knight:

"Are you an Egyptian superhero?"

"Yes, I am."

You go, little girl.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

RandomReader posted:

The episode was pretty fun, enjoyed the action, espescially Khonshu's weird shifting movement tech and both god fights, and Jake coming to save the day against Harrow twice. Tawaret and Layla was a pretty fun dynamic, and Layla herself was really good this episode, barring the terrible interaction with the kid. "Oh, I know you just saved me and all, but you're egyptian, right? If you aren't the same race and gender as me it's just so hard to empathize with you." "Yes, I'm a female Egyptian superhero, aren't I so stunning and brave?"

Thank you. I've been looking forward to getting my "Oh, Jesus-loving-Christ! Goons!" moment. I mean, c'mon, this isn't that hard to parse, is it? Who are the superheroes in the MCU? Where do pretty much ever single one of them come from? Chant it with me: You-Ess-Ayy! So yeah, the moment when the Eqyptian girl gets saved by an honest-to-Taweret Egyptian superhero who is also a woman, it's really, really cool to her

RandomReader posted:

It's always nice to see zealot characters break the mold and actually believe their spiel to the end. It's part of why I like Khonshu, he's a manipulative dick, but he's got his principles i.e. gently caress all predators of the night.

Harrow had his principles. As does Khonshu. And Taweret. Really the one who seemed most willing to bend/shift principles was Ammit herself.

RandomReader posted:

If Steven is a totally real personality that gets to make his own decisions and junk, Jake should too. Is he not allowed to make his own decisions? When did body control become a democracy? :v:

You say that as if you think he didn't make that decision. From what little I saw, Jake likes being the vengeance of Khonshu. He enjoys it. He gets to kill the ever-loving poo poo out of folks that richly deserve to get the ever-loving poo poo killed out of them. He probably does a paraphrase of Ezekiel 25:17 Pulp Fiction and ends it with "...and you will know his name is Khonshu when I lay his vengeance upon you!"

Everyone fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 5, 2022

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Everyone posted:

Thank you. I've been looking forward to getting my "Oh, Jesus-loving-Christ! Goons!" moment. I mean, c'mon, this isn't that hard to parse, is it? Who are the superheroes in the MCU? Where do pretty much ever single one of them come from? Chant it with me: You-Ess-Ayy! So yeah, the moment when the Eqyptian girl gets saved by an honest-to-Taweret Egyptian superhero who is also a woman, it's really, really cool to her
It's not hard to parse, it's just stupid. Caring about the race, nationality, or gender of the superhero who just saved you is pretty shallow, and I don't appreciate the show itself going out of it's way for the audience to see how awesome and great they are for having a female egyptain superhero. It's different from when Captain America and Spider-man had that little connection over growing up in New York, where it was just a funny coincidence of life, this is clearly a Big Moment.

quote:

You say that as if you think he didn't make that decision. From what little I saw, Jake likes being the vengeance of Khonshu. He enjoys it. He gets to kill the ever-loving poo poo out of folks that richly deserve to get the ever-loving poo poo killed out of them. He probably does a paraphrase of Ezekiel 25:17 Pulp Fiction and ends it with "...and you will know his name is Khonshu when I lay his vengeance upon you!"
No, more of a joke that while it is manipulative of Khonshu to not tell Marc and Steven about Jake, if Steven gets to be a person who's wants and desires need to be respected, Jake does as well. Especially when the show makes a point about not denying people the opportunity to choose.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RandomReader posted:

It's not hard to parse, it's just stupid. Caring about the race, nationality, or gender of the superhero who just saved you is pretty shallow, and I don't appreciate the show itself going out of it's way for the audience to see how awesome and great they are for having a female egyptain superhero. It's different from when Captain America and Spider-man had that little connection over growing up in New York, where it was just a funny coincidence of life, this is clearly a Big Moment.

The dialog was ham fisted but it had to be. These are the kind of things that some people just will not get if it isn't spelled out. It looks like it's going to be a big focus of Ms. Marvel as well. Star Trek Discovery (which is bad overall) had a scene where a gay couple who more or less adopt a non-binary person have a conversation about the correct use of pronouns for the non-binary person. It is really blunt because there are people in the audience need it to be for them to understand.

RandomReader posted:

No, more of a joke that while it is manipulative of Khonshu to not tell Marc and Steven about Jake, if Steven gets to be a person who's wants and desires need to be respected, Jake does as well. Especially when the show makes a point about not denying people the opportunity to choose.

It goes both ways though, Marc/Steven's body is still being used by Jake/Khonshu to do stuff they don't agree with. It's really messy and can only be resolved when Marc openly acknowledges Jake and probably informs Steven of Jakes existence.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

RandomReader posted:

I can't believe this comic book movie isn't a deep and nuanced story about people in tights punching a colorful laser! I've never, not once in my life, heard of a comic book having shallow fan service! How could they? How dare Disney do this?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's ok for people not to like things, though.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

killer crane posted:

I can't believe this comic book movie isn't a deep and nuanced story about people in tights punching a colorful laser! I've never, not once in my life, heard of a comic book having shallow fan service! How could they? How dare Disney do this?
I know work is a drag, that doesn't mean I'm happy to clock in. :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RandomReader posted:

For a lot of people who aren't heterosexual white men from North America or Europe, seeing someone with power who is doing great things who looks and sounds like you is a big loving deal. It passes on the message and hope that you could be someone like that. Now that little girl knows she could be a hero, because there's a badass Egyptian superhero lady running around. That little girl may never have cared about Captain America, or Iron Man, or Thor, because they have nothing in common with her. Now she sees someone just like her fighting to save the world.

That's a message headlining, just like it was one of the few good things about Falcon and the Winter soldier. Black people can be heroes. Women can be heroes. People from outside the US can be heroes. Gay people... TBD.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The MCU also has a very broad audience, which means that more sophisticated viewers are going to have to share room with viewers who do need things spelled out for them.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Cythereal posted:

For a lot of people who aren't heterosexual white men from North America or Europe, seeing someone with power who is doing great things who looks and sounds like you is a big loving deal.
And a lot of people are shallow, and I roll my eyes when they need a tv character who looks and sounds like them to tell them they can do something with their life. I didn't have that growing up, and of the long list of personal defects stopping me from being a big shot, that's not one of them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

RandomReader posted:

And a lot of people are shallow, and I roll my eyes when they need a tv character who looks and sounds like them to tell them they can do something with their life. I didn't have that growing up, and of the long list of personal defects stopping me from being a big shot, that's not one of them.

Is it really shallow to see a world dominated by (old) white men and think "hmm sure would be cool if I saw that someone who wasn't an (old) white man doing well so I know I've got a fuckin chance"

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

pik_d posted:

Is it really shallow to see a world dominated by (old) white men and think "hmm sure would be cool if I saw that someone who wasn't an (old) white man doing well so I know I've got a fuckin chance"
Thinking it's cool, no, that's fine. Think it's so super important to your self-esteem, yes, that's very shallow. Old white men bleed the same as anyone else, pick up a knife and make that loving chance a reality. :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cythereal posted:

For a lot of people who aren't heterosexual white men from North America or Europe, seeing someone with power who is doing great things who looks and sounds like you is a big loving deal. It passes on the message and hope that you could be someone like that. Now that little girl knows she could be a hero, because there's a badass Egyptian superhero lady running around. That little girl may never have cared about Captain America, or Iron Man, or Thor, because they have nothing in common with her. Now she sees someone just like her fighting to save the world.

That's a message headlining, just like it was one of the few good things about Falcon and the Winter soldier. Black people can be heroes. Women can be heroes. People from outside the US can be heroes. Gay people... TBD.

Not only that, it shows her in this hosed up world of blips and celestials falling into the ocean and New York getting invaded by aliens, that there's someone looking out for her and her hometown, too. Knowing that there's someone out there that gives a drat about what happens to you, that your life and safety matters, is huge for a child.

But mostly, RandomReader, you say the child is being shallow... and yes, she is shallow! She is a child, she's immature and thinks the world revolves around her and more easily connects to people who seem familiar to her! Seeing the world with wonder and awe is irrational and naive and simple and ignorant, but that's what a child is.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

XboxPants posted:

Not only that, it shows her in this hosed up world of blips and celestials falling into the ocean and New York getting invaded by aliens, that there's someone looking out for her and her hometown, too. Knowing that there's someone out there that gives a drat about what happens to you, that your life and safety matters, is huge for a child.

But mostly, RandomReader, you say the child is being shallow... and yes, she is shallow! She is a child, she's immature and thinks the world revolves around her and more easily connects to people who seem familiar to her! Seeing the world with wonder and awe is irrational and naive and simple and ignorant, but that's what a child is.
Okay, but that child isn't real. She's a fictional character, and I can see the puppet strings putting a child on the scene and making it's puppet point out Layla's ethnicity/nationality for the whole world to applaud. I know all the characters are fictional and their positioning and dialogue are all equally arbitrary to serve the needs of the story, but I don't care for the story of this child so the strings stand out.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Diversity is cool, actually

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
its cool until you write in an Egyptian child asking about the ethnicity and nationality of a debuting Egyptian hero who just saved her life in Egypt. Then it's just shallow

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

RandomReader posted:

Okay, but that child isn't real. She's a fictional character, and I can see the puppet strings putting a child on the scene and making it's puppet point out Layla's ethnicity/nationality for the whole world to applaud. I know all the characters are fictional and their positioning and dialogue are all equally arbitrary to serve the needs of the story, but I don't care for the story of this child so the strings stand out.

Alright. :shrug: I bought it but I guess it's ok if you didn't. It's not like you're totally wrong, I'm sure there were a bunch of disney suits making calculations on exactly how much profit they'd make by including that scene. I guess the only difference is, for me, understanding the cold, calculated way that the sausage is made doesn't ruin it, since even if it was made with the most cynical of intentions, that doesn't undo the big grins and warmed hearts that I know people are getting from that scene.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RandomReader posted:

You’re saying way more about yourself than TV here.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Kill All Cops posted:

its cool until you write in an Egyptian child asking about the ethnicity and nationality of a debuting Egyptian hero who just saved her life in Egypt. Then it's just shallow

You make it sound like she pulled her aside and asked her for this information. "Are you an Egyptian superhero?" is as much an exclamation as it is a question and in the moment is an appropriate time for it to come out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I never give two shits about any representation or acknowledgement about representation because at one point, when I still thought it was maybe a bit much, I was at a screening of Endgame and when all the women superheroes assembled at once a girl a few rows in front of me literally jumped to her feet and yelled "It's all the girls doing it!!!" while hopping up and down.

So yeah representation matters and it's OK to acknowledge that in a show that would, otherwise, be nothing more than a threadbare dime-store veil cash-grab based on one of the most ancient cultures and religions on the planet.