Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wouldn't be surprised if the Kill Team reveal is going to foreshadow future codexes (I'm guessing Kasrkin will be one), like the renewed Legionaries & Pathfinders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Desfore posted:

I personally never cared for the Cultist side of CSM; I just want Spikey Marines, not random cultist fodder. But, these progressively more and more mutated guys are definitely... interesting. And, I think this is a good way to differentiate CSM from DG/TS/and now WE, without having to invent some reason those factions can't use these models (presumably).

I see your point but I'm the complete opposite. I've always liked the perspective of the "regular" people in the 40k universe and how awful things are for them. I also love GSC and guard for that reason.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
With World Eaters being so apparently far out, I guess it's possible that they'll be the 10th edition starter opposing force after all. I always figured it'd have to be either them or Tyranids.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

drat, I liked Death Guard for all the mutations but this new stuff blows them outta the water.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I used to feel the same, but I think it was mostly because the cultist sculpts were a) super limited monopose stuff and b) completely inconsistent in size / aesthetic between the Dark Imperium dudes and the Cultists of the Abyss style. Now that they've got an actual multipart kit so that you can take cultist blobs without every mini repeating 3-4 times they've definitely grown on me. The new possessed stuff is just rad as hell too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

I love WH+ animations. Give me more.

:hai:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

The new possessed are loving rad.

loving finally

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

And make the episodes longer than 15/20 minutes for gently caress's sake.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AndyElusive posted:

Exactly. Granted that one bolter and hammer episode about the guy who counts books went on way way too long and we could all see where it was going about two minutes in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

I'd kill for them to have enough budget to release at least 30 minutes of animation a week. The quality is there but not the quantity.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They did say that at least the first Origin episode was going to weigh in at a "hefty" 25 minutes.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
With that squat it feels like GW is bringing humor and comedy back in to wh40k and it's not just the orks that get to be funny. Looks a bit halfling though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Perhaps every army should have a cult. Genestealer cults, chapter serfs, tau human auxiliaries, the australians from gorkamorka.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Currently giving the big pile of khorne berserkers I kitbashed and have yet to paint the side eye. I can feel in my heart that they won’t have the correct weapon load outs for a new book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheManufactorum/status/1521920419489628162

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

A good day to be damned holy poo poo.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
My Word Bearers and going to love literally all that poo poo they've shown off.

The only downside is I did buy and make some beserkers which now I might as well sell on ebay.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Was gonna branch my DG kill team out into a full army but I think I gotta go with CSM now, these sculpts are just too fuckin good.

The only question now is whether to go Word Bearers or Black Legion - they both seem to love mutants and cultists, and if the codex leaks are correct they seem like they're competing for the title of best legion rules. Black Legion does have Abaddon, which is one of the few awesome centerpiece models that actually seems worth playing with, but Word Bearers have some really pretty Forge World stuff and probably more kitbashing potential.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

First reveal is Chaos Marines and ho boy these models loving slap.

The new possessed are loving rad.

Gal Vorbak eat your heart out

So whats even left to update in the CSM range besides the Noise Marines and Berzerkers that are gonna be part of a future EC/WE codex?

Bikers, Spawn and that hideously out of date Night Lords upgrade kit is all I can think of

Edit:
does that mean CSM is now the most "modern" 40k range outside of new armies like Admech and GSC?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

AnEdgelord posted:

Gal Vorbak eat your heart out

So whats even left to update in the CSM range besides the Noise Marines and Berzerkers that are gonna be part of a future EC/WE codex?

Bikers, Spawn and that hideously out of date Night Lords upgrade kit is all I can think of

Edit:
does that mean CSM is now the most "modern" 40k range outside of new armies like Admech and GSC?

Bikers are supposedly getting an update too, but yeah Chaos Spawn definitely need one unless these new Torment dudes are just functionally replacing them Primaris-style.

I was kinda hoping they'd do some legion upgrade sprues like they did for loyalists, but even those seem to have dried up and they were honestly pretty lazy to begin with. At least most legions have some rad Forge World heads if you can stomach the price.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Forge World used to have a pretty complete set of Heresy-era legion upgrades. Thought real hard about buying some Night Lords ones because realistically loyalist or traitor they look the exact same.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Was gonna branch my DG kill team out into a full army but I think I gotta go with CSM now, these sculpts are just too fuckin good.

The only question now is whether to go Word Bearers or Black Legion - they both seem to love mutants and cultists, and if the codex leaks are correct they seem like they're competing for the title of best legion rules. Black Legion does have Abaddon, which is one of the few awesome centerpiece models that actually seems worth playing with, but Word Bearers have some really pretty Forge World stuff and probably more kitbashing potential.

Does Black Legion still let you take TS DG and WE? If so go for it (but paint them all black)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You wouldn't pay me to buy chaos marines. I don't want to paint all that filigree

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

War and Pieces posted:

Does Black Legion still let you take TS DG and WE? If so go for it (but paint them all black)

I believe the leaks mentioned that not only can you do that, Black Legion also has a strategy that lets you pick a squad and give them any legion's rules for a turn, which sounds like it could lead to some very funny shenanigans.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

You wouldn't pay me to buy chaos marines. I don't want to paint all that filigree

Metallic sharpie

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

War and Pieces posted:

You can take Rubrics, Noise Marines, Plague Marines, and Berserkers. The more specialized units, no.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Floppychop posted:

Metallic sharpie

in two months I'm getting a Not-Combat patrol box of chaos marines from Imperium Magazine, so I'll have to do this

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Don't paint it, you can still drybrush/ edge highlight the same as the armour. You won't care from up in space playing games.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I always found Chaos Marine armour easier to paint than the loyalists back in the day.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I will absolutely not be painting any of the metallic detailing on that poo poo except for maybe some of the shoulder pads and maybe character models.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You can always paint them uniformly then do some chipping and wear on the spikes. Looks nice and spiky and requires far less fiddly effort.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I hated painting metallic trim until I bought some actually good metallic paints. So much easier when you get nice smooth coverage with one coat. Getting an airbrush also vastly increased my tolerance for the fiddly bits since I can lay down fast and easy basecoats / shadows / highlights on the bulk of the armor with zero effort.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Metallic trim is good because it makes things automatically have contrast and readily paintable texture changes. Eldar armour on the other hand is all smooth with no trim that very easily end up looking like just a blob of colour.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

My drybrush them contrast method has been pretty drat quick for all the trim. But I'm also super slow and take my time on each dude so I'm never painting a whole army again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Speaking of, from start to finish this guy took about 3 hours, but I took some time to paint the skull in the helmet, do the plasma coil, paint the face, and glaze up the horn. The skin's so pale that it's hard to get a picture of it with my simple two light setup but I'm proud of this dude. Bases hopefully some time this weekend

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm really excited to see the World Eaters more fleshed out. Here's hoping I can use these two forgefiends I picked up.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I find it's better if you basically don't paint the trim but you instead paint the armour.

Specifically, instead of bascoating my guys red then all word Bearers red, then using leadbelcher to paint the trims carefully followed by ironbreaker, I base cost the entire model in leadbelcher, then in ironbreaker, then paint the red by hand.

Inevitably you do skip and have to touch up the odd bit of trim but that's way easier than carefully painting all the trim and then touching yo the armour.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also thin metallics with gloss varnish and it makes a world of difference.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
We're starting to see some other legions' Horus Heresy models now, starting with a Dark Angels model

GW is knocking it out of the park with these new HH models

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Spanish Manlove posted:

Speaking of, from start to finish this guy took about 3 hours, but I took some time to paint the skull in the helmet, do the plasma coil, paint the face, and glaze up the horn. The skin's so pale that it's hard to get a picture of it with my simple two light setup but I'm proud of this dude. Bases hopefully some time this weekend

I like the progression in your paint scheme! The first models you posted were good, but you keep zhushing it up. Happy plasma murder marine looks great.