Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the house's origin story is that Grampa won it on a game show and gave it to Homer when he moved into the retirement home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Ve-gaaaaaaaa!

(original research)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

related: three living rooms and no guest rooms, now that my friends is a family that is truly dedicated to not letting Grampa visit overnight

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

When the show came out it was realistic for the family to live in a house like this on Homer's salary.

No it wasn't. The show has joked about the huge size of their house many times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I don't know how official any of the floor plans out there are but they're all pretty consistent.

When the show came out it was realistic for the family to live in a house like this on Homer's salary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ6CmIDV1g
Video talking about the layout of the house.

Notable things:
where everyone's bedrooms are changes around based on whatever is convenient for a joke
the biggest issue with the house layout are the entrances to the basement and the garage which change around quite a bit

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Analytic Engine posted:

(original research)

Tom = white
Homer = black

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I am really disappointed that there's no basement with the big Olmec head.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The rumpus room had a door which disappears regularly, having that insane little hallway between the garage and rumpus room is a solution but a weird one. The corner of the house in the upper right of that diagram is not there in any shot of the house ever.

It aligns with how the house exists most of the time. Other than the rumpus room disappearing, the biggest inconsistency is the closets/powder room that sometimes exist in the foyer and the absolutely impossibly high ceilings in the basement that exist in the same physical space as the garage and dining room.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKQ6CmIDV1g
Video talking about the layout of the house.

Notable things:
where everyone's bedrooms are changes around based on whatever is convenient for a joke
the biggest issue with the house layout are the entrances to the basement and the garage which change around quite a bit

I laughed pretty hard at "Let's face it, we're all here to hear about the rumpus room so let's not beat around the bush" at the beginning of the video.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

loquacius posted:

I think the house's origin story is that Grampa won it on a game show and gave it to Homer when he moved into the retirement home

That was Homer's childhood home. Abe sold it for Homer to afford the 742 Evergreen Terrace. Sure hope you got fired for this blunder.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Shiroc posted:

I was running interference on chud preachers at an abortion rally when a woman also trying to get them to go away starting quoting psalms at them. I'm pretty sure selah was said.

Too bad SSBP hasn't gotten to psalm 137 yet, it could have given you something to jump in with

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bug Squash posted:

That was Homer's childhood home. Abe sold it for Homer to afford the 742 Evergreen Terrace. Sure hope you got fired for this blunder.

Not counting when Homer grew up on the farm I presume.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

flavor.flv posted:

Too bad SSBP hasn't gotten to psalm 137 yet, it could have given you something to jump in with

"To overcome the chud's curse, simply quote a Bible verse"
"Uh... Thou shalt not... uh..." (Homer throws a rock at the chud's head.)

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lmao

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

:dudsmile:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah it's exactly the Boomer life: accidentally impregnate someone in high school, start a family with them, buy a house with help from your parents, easily get one job, have your single income pay for everything, work at your one job for decades

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Yeah it's exactly the Boomer life: accidentally impregnate someone in high school, start a family with them, buy a house with help from your parents, easily get one job, have your single income pay for everything, work at your one job for decades

About the only twist is Homer and Marge are supposed to be in their mid to late twenties when they accidentally conceive Bart but pretty much. Homer and Marge were old-fashioned even at the time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Honestly it's pretty impressive that a couple who met in high school in 1968, and apparently stayed together ever since, managed to not get pregnant until 1978. Especially when one of the couple is Homer. Marge must really know what she's doing.

And yes, that's right. Bart Simpson was canonically born in 1979.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sagebrush posted:

Honestly it's pretty impressive that a couple who met in high school in 1968, and apparently stayed together ever since, managed to not get pregnant until 1978. Especially when one of the couple is Homer. Marge must really know what she's doing.

And yes, that's right. Bart Simpson was canonically born in 1979.

Those dates are off. “The Way We Was” has them meeting in high school in 1974 and Bart isn’t conceived until they see The Empire Strikes Back in the summer of 1980 (In “I Married Marge”), so he isn’t born until probably early or mid 1981.

Of course, the next season has Lisa being born a year off in 1984 during the Summer Olympics (“Lisa’s First Word”), even though she’s supposed to be two years younger than Bart, so even during the early years of the show, they weren’t exactly consistent with all the dates of that stuff and the floating timeline was being tweaked.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

King David posts a controversial opinion on something awful dot com

Many enemies state they do not like or want me posting (psalms).

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Wake me up when we reach Melvin sludgecore memes.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

fartknocker posted:

Those dates are off. “The Way We Was” has them meeting in high school in 1974 and Bart isn’t conceived until they see The Empire Strikes Back in the summer of 1980 (In “I Married Marge”), so he isn’t born until probably early or mid 1981.

Of course, the next season has Lisa being born a year off in 1984 during the Summer Olympics (“Lisa’s First Word”), even though she’s supposed to be two years younger than Bart, so even during the early years of the show, they weren’t exactly consistent with all the dates of that stuff and the floating timeline was being tweaked.

Bart is 40 years old.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fartknocker posted:

The Simpsons started in 1989 and Homer is canonically 39. That means he was born in 1950 and would have graduated high school in 1968. Bart is 10 in 1989 so he was born in 1979. Lisa was born in 1981 and Maggie in 1987.

I will not be taking questions

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Samovar posted:

Wake me up when we reach Melvin sludgecore memes.

Best I can do is punk

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Okay, this is officially my favorite and that includes the ones I made.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Trabant posted:

Best I can do is punk

Thank you

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Why would they be called Melvin and the Squirrels if Melvin is one the squirrels?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Why would they be called Melvin and the Squirrels if Melvin is one the squirrels?

Why is it called Alvin and the Chipmunks if Alvin is one of the chipmunks?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Trabant posted:

Best I can do is punk

Have Theodore killed

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought Selah was the girl he was psalming at

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
low effort

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Everyone is saying "Selah this" and "Selah that," but no one is saying "worship this" and "Jericho that."

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bug Squash posted: