Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Carthag Tuek posted:

Geh in die Knie
Und klatsch in die Hände
Beweg deine Hüften
Und tanz den Mussolini
Tanz den Mussolini
Tanz den Mussolini

Dreh dich nach rechts
Und klatsch in die Hände
Und mach den Adolf Hitler
Tanz den Adolf Hitler
Tanz den Adolf Hitler
Tanz den Adolf Hitler
Und jetzt den Mussolini

Beweg deinen Hintern
Beweg deinen Hintern
Klatsch in die Hände
Tanz den Jesus Christus
Tanz den Jesus Christus

Wow, I haven't thought about Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Philippe posted:

Wow, I haven't thought about Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft in a while

very underrated imo

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

den Mussolini muss man umgedreht tanzen

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Just had a realisation-I-should've-had-while-high-at-3am-but-instead-had-at-4pm-while-getting-ready-for-work:
it's not possible to see 100% of a 3D object at the same time. With a mirror, you can see 50% of the object and the reflection of 50%, or whatever, but that's not the same thing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can if you have a camera behind it

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
You're still not seeing the whole thing, though. You're seeing part of the thing, and an image of the other part.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Just use your third eye to 4th dimensional view. Everyone can do it, except literally that one person on earth lol they suck.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lady Disdain posted:

You're still not seeing the whole thing, though. You're seeing part of the thing, and an image of the other part.

Isn’t an image all you’re seeing of it anyway?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!

christmas boots posted:

:okpos:

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A cube made of glass :chord:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

ce n'est pas un chien qui fume la pipe

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

christmas boots posted:

Please don't drown my existential crisis in another, more scientific existential crisis.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lady Disdain posted:

Just had a realisation-I-should've-had-while-high-at-3am-but-instead-had-at-4pm-while-getting-ready-for-work:
it's not possible to see 100% of a 3D object at the same time. With a mirror, you can see 50% of the object and the reflection of 50%, or whatever, but that's not the same thing.

You can't see 100% of a 2D object at the same time, either.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We can't even see objects

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Could God make a 3D Megadoodoo so big that he could not see all of it at once?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

3D Megadoodoo posted:

flatlander spotted

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Do surfaces without thickness have sides? Or is it because you cannot see any 2D object, because they cannot exist?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Phosphine posted:

Do surfaces without thickness have sides? Or is it because you cannot see any 2D object, because they cannot exist?

A truly 2D object would not have the mass to emit or reflect photons and hence could not be seen at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phosphine posted:

Do surfaces without thickness have sides?

Sides? No. Sides? Yes.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In order to even be able to see 50% of an opaque object the distance you need to be away from it is infinity..................

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Your eyes only see 2 dimensions and make a guess at what the third is. That's why you get fooled by optical illusions.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does that mean my eyes are made in the Build engine?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tenebrais posted:

A truly 2D object would not have the mass to emit or reflect photons and hence could not be seen at all.

I don't think this really makes sense. 3D objects, as we know them, are clouds of vaguely associated 0-dimensional particles. I don't see why constraining those particles to a plane would particularly stop them from emitting or reflecting light.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DontMockMySmock posted:

I don't think this really makes sense. 3D objects, as we know them, are clouds of vaguely associated 0-dimensional particles. I don't see why constraining those particles to a plane would particularly stop them from emitting or reflecting light.

That’s not a two-dimensional object. It has a third dimension on the order of one angstrom.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Platystemon posted:

That’s not a two-dimensional object. It has a third dimension on the order of one angstrom.

No it doesn't??? Fundamental particles, as far as we know, are dimensionless, and definitely smaller than one angstrom. Atoms are on the order of one angstrom wide, but nothing akin to an atom as we know it can exist in a hypothetical 2D object.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone posts some stoner thought and suddenly everyone's a scientist or philosopher

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DontMockMySmock posted:

No it doesn't??? Fundamental particles, as far as we know, are dimensionless, and definitely smaller than one angstrom. Atoms are on the order of one angstrom wide, but nothing akin to an atom as we know it can exist in a hypothetical 2D object.
Objects are the sum of interactions of particles which always cast to 3d because of various foibles of wave particle duality. Especially when we say "see." EMR is 3d which means the absolute best we could ever "see" is 2d cast to 3d.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

zedprime posted:

Objects are the sum of interactions of particles which always cast to 3d because of various foibles of wave particle duality. Especially when we say "see." EMR is 3d which means the absolute best we could ever "see" is 2d cast to 3d.

Well, you're absolutely correct that a two-dimensional assemblage of particles would bear little resemblance to what we normally think of as an "object."

So what I'm imagining, here, is a potential field affecting this "object" that's uniform in two dimensions, and in the third dimension is basically an inverse Dirac delta function, infinity everywhere except one coordinate value where it is zero. This perfectly constrains the particles to the 2d plane at that coordinate, in the same way that a particle is constrained in the classic "infinite square well" that everyone learns to solve in their Babby's First QM course. And then you have some ordinary particles (electrons, quarks, the usual stuff that makes up what we think of as "ordinary matter") in some arbitrary arrangement within that plane to form our "object." The physics of such an object would be weird and counter-intuitive, for sure - the particles would behave in some ways as if the universe only has two spatial dimensions, but still interact with other things in normal ways. Whether such an object would be "solid" or not sort of depends on some assumptions you have to make - does the Pauli exclusion principle apply between the electrons of an ordinary object, unconstrained by this fantasy potential field, and the constrained electrons in this 2D object? To me it makes more sense if the answer is "no," but it could go either way. Could such an object form a rigid structure at all? I don't know, and I don't know that anyone does - what sorts of structures may form when quarks and gluons are constrained to a plane is a question for someone more well-versed in QCD than I, if there is even a sensible answer within our current understanding of particle physics. I'd guess that at best you're going to get some kind of weird diffuse quark-gluon plasma with some electrons floating in it, possibly destined to expand and disperse into very small net-color-and-electric-charge-neutral droplets, vaguely atom-like, bound together by strong and electromagnetic forces. Ultimately, there's a lot we can't really answer about how this would work; it's hard to get intuition for a situation where something as simple as a proton can't exist in the normal way.

But ultimately my objection stands. None of these questions change the fact that the object is made of charged particles. Light interacts with charged particles - so why shouldn't it interact with this object? Since the potential field breaks the symmetry in one direction, momentum won't be conserved in that direction (or to put it another way, when the light bounces off of particles in the "object," it will ultimately exchange momentum with the field rather than the particle itself). Its charged particles create fields like any other - so the motions of its particles will generate radio waves and such. I guess you could reasonably say that we don't know whether visible light, in particular, would interact meaningfully with it. But the original post I objected to said ALL light/photons wouldn't be emitted or reflected at all, and I don't see any justification for that position.

So, yeah, I thought about this way too much.

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone posts some stoner thought and suddenly everyone's a scientist or philosopher

I spent over 7 years studying physics and the only thing it's useful for is posting

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol that red text

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Robyn owns a genre of music my gf and I call "PUNCH DANCE FOR LOVE"

You know, when the only way to get your feelings out is to punch dance the air in an abandoned warehouse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6ImxY6hnfA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

verbal enema posted:

lol that red text

The text isn’t even the half of it

They were nineteenth century whalers in the Southern Ocean and they mention wanting to be resupplied with “sugar and tea and rum” but ZOMG, y’all, those are products of slavery!

It’s like trying to own someone in this century for eating chocolate.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The text isn’t even the half of it

They were nineteenth century whalers in the Southern Ocean and they mention wanting to be resupplied with “sugar and tea and rum” but ZOMG, y’all, those are products of slavery!

It’s like trying to own someone in this century for eating chocolate.

First of all, that's not what the argument was. Forum user Jezza of OZPOS (named Malcolm Turnbeug at the time) posted that sea shanties are "implicitly supportive of colonialism". Not because specifically the song The Wellerman mentions specific products of slavery, but because nostalgia in general for a white supremacist society is maybe a bad thing.

Secondly, as you may have noticed, I am DontMockMySmock and not Jezza of OZPOS. I am of the impression that the person who gave me this red text didn't realize that Jezza and I were different people, since they apparently blamed me for the derail that Jezza started. How appropriate that we're having this discussion in this thread, because apparently you just figured that out, too. I neither started the derail nor contributed more than one (1) post to it. I didn't say a single goddamn word about sea shanties specifically, much less "sugar and tea and rum." You can read the derail yourself if you think I'm lying or something. So if you want to make fun of me for the dumb poo poo I've said then at least quote it properly. God knows I post plenty of dumb poo poo.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress is going on

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why would you link to a page that has you posting this on it?

DontMockMySmock posted:

Romanticizing a history of colonialism, slavery, and oppression has real-world consequences, it's not just a harmless thing that people enjoy.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Stuff I can't believe I just figured out - OP has terrible takes, but those takes are fractionally different to that described in their redtext

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I sang a sea shanty and it caused real world harm of all the black people in 5 mile radius being worked to death on a sugarcane plantation.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 12:10 on May 6, 2022

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

DontMockMySmock posted:

nostalgia in general for a white supremacist society is maybe a bad thing.

This is why singing Chumbawamba's Tubthumping is morally wrong.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

verbal enema posted:

lol that red text

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Liking the viral sea shanties is exactly the same as liking Weezer, weed, and/or anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite sea shanty is about bilge pumping until you die of exhaustion because you're pressed labor on a ship

I can't say that's exactly panting for colonialism's dick