Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat, that's cool! That girl you were dating had no idea what she was missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

KozmoNaut posted:

drat, that's cool! That girl you were dating had no idea what she was missing out on.

It's why Ms. Davis was so perplexed; there aren't many of your generation (I'm a late boomer) interested in streamline moderne / 50's kitsch.

drat, that is like $50K worth of Eames furniture in that one shot

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

LobsterboyX posted:

I just explained to her that I just loved that stuff and I didn't really know where it came from and "dont take this the wrong way, but this reminds me of PeeWees playhouse."

"Oh honey.... come... sit...."

it reminded me of peewees playhouse.... because it was peewees playhouse

:aaaaa:

LA is fuckin wild.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

drat, thats cool - if that was in LA it would get bulldozed with everything in it.

That house reminds me of my late friends home.

When I was about 17, I was seeing a girl that lived across the street from an extremely interesting house.

The house was "titty pink" and it was obviously a special house to the neighborhood, it was in the Streamline Moderne style and it was almost double the size of the rest of the houses on the block, there were a few cool/wacky cars parked out front, the house number was even vintage and extremely kitschy, there were pink flamingos, astro-turf, old croquet sets and fiberglass umbrellas in the front yard. It really resonated with me on a very PeeWee's playhouse level.

As things got more heavy with the girl I was seeing, I'd head to her house more often. I was young and driving my pink 1958 Cadillac every day, this was about 2001-2002ish - One time I went over there and parked my caddy in front of her cool house and snapped a picture with my first ever digital camera. When I did, an older woman came out of the house, she was obviously the owner of the home, her style and personality matched the house, she saw me taking photos and came over to me and said "lemme see that" playfully. She loved the pics and she said "I just got one of these digital cameras too, I HAVE to try it out, pull your car in the driveway, we need this photo" - she shuffled back in the house and got her camera, I thought it was kinda weird, but I was in love with this house, and as soon as I saw the lady who owned it, I knew it was special - She came out and started taking pictures of the car in her driveway, the color of my car, and the color of her house were so similar she said "I can't even get the car to show up on this drat thing, its the same drat color" - I could tell this woman was a perfectionist. We were talking more and I told her I was kinda seeing the girl across the street, she said "oh her, shes gorgeous! shes lucky to have a big young man like you with a fabulous car like this in her life" - she showed me the pictures and I said I'd love a few copies of them, I was such a doofus and never took my own photo, and even if I had, I lost all the photos off that camera a few years later - I wish I had them now... we said our goodbyes and she said "you and your little girlfriend should come over sometime, I know her mother, I'll make it happen" and she shuffled back in the house, I pulled my car out and went on with my day.

for reference, this is the car - this photo was from around that era, taken a few years later.

The next time I came over to see this girl, I got there and she said "hey my mom talked to our neighbor, she wants you to go over there, she wants to show you her house" - this girl was getting weirder each time we hung out - she was in to the performing arts and things were kinda getting weird, as they do when you are young... So I said "yeah lets go" and she just said "you can..." so I said gently caress it and walked across the street.

I rang the bell and it was loving surreal electric multi tone doorbell, she opened the door and it was literally like walking in to the house you just posted, and peewees playhouse mixed together... there was curiously gold records everywhere.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing, I couldn't believe that I was in this place, there were pictures of this little quirky lady with just about every musician you could imagine- the house was filled to the brim with the wackiest stuff I'd ever seen. The back yard was beyond belief, giant neon signs, totally outrageous pool, terrazo everywhere.

She could tell I was getting overwhelmed, I kept just saying "this is incredible" over and over again. I didn't even know what to say, and she was going on about so many different things to a 6'3" doofus kid that rolled up to her house in a 50s Cadillac. She kept asking me "how are you in to all this stuff so young? do your parents work in the biz? what are their names? its not every day you see a kid in a cool car like that"

I just explained to her that I just loved that stuff and I didn't really know where it came from and "dont take this the wrong way, but this reminds me of PeeWees playhouse."

"Oh honey.... come... sit...."

Turns out this woman was Allee Willis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allee_Willis

here's more info, in her words, about the house:

http://alleewillis.com/williswonderland/

By the time I left there, I felt like I had been zapped of all my energy, I had forgotten about the weird girl I was dating, I was with Allee for about 3 hours, just talking about vintage stuff, why I loved it and really just having a really great deep talk with a complete stranger. I forgot all about the weird girl I was dating. I was on a really amazing high, the kind of high you get when you have a really deep conversation and life changing moment. We finished up our convo, exchanged phone numbers and she said "go on see that girl across the street, shes a hottie, you're welcome here anytime" She gave me a hug and a pat on the back and said "go getem tiger"

I walked back across the street rang the bell the girl seemed kinda pissed, I said something like "I lost track of time, that house is amazing - thank your mom for me, I gotta go, wanna do something tomorrow?" we said our goodbyes, but I really never talked to her again after that

But I did keep in touch with Allee - if I saw something cool out and about I'd text her - I'd stop by from time to time ring the bell, say hello and talk for a bit - It was always very nice, and she was genuinely happy to see me, but it was only a once-twice a year friendship.

Sadly we lost Allee in 2019 very suddenly and by then I hadn't talked to her in about a year. I was pretty bummed. For all I know the house is still there, its not very far, I just haven't thought about stopping in, I don't know whats going on with it, but I would have heard if something happened. This place needs to be protected at all costs.

This is such a cool story, and what a house! I don't know how many dumb internet videos you watch (I mean this is somethingawful after all), but last year's electolemon September 21st video has a scene shot in it by that pool, which I immediately remembered from the photo you posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfi9JpgMc2U

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

KozmoNaut posted:

She was pretty weird, like saved all her toe nails in a jar weird - earlier on in our relationship she had made me plate of rose pedals with sugar and salt on them, baked in the oven- again, she was hot.. like way hotter than I thought I could get so I went along with it for awhile.

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

LA is fuckin wild.

I've got stories for days, and yes it truly is wild.

bennyfactor posted:

This is such a cool story, and what a house! I don't know how many dumb internet videos you watch (I mean this is somethingawful after all), but last year's electolemon September 21st video has a scene shot in it by that pool, which I immediately remembered from the photo you posted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfi9JpgMc2U

so thats cool, I didn't watch it except the part with her house, and the car from grease - Whoever made that obviously did some homework because Allee actually wrote that song, so kinda a cute tribute to her.

The funny thing about living in the area I do is that so much is filmed here. In fact they film in my neighborhood all the time, sometimes they even spill over on to my lawn, and pay me to use it!

My high school was ALWAYS a filming location - Freaks and Geeks, the show 6 feet under, countless music videos..

including this classic https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3y9llDXuM - I can barely be seen in the background when they're walking the halls.

It was just kinda part of going to school there, it was actually a supreme pain in the rear end when they were filming stuff there because the lane to get to the student parking lot would always be clogged up.

just going back in my pics, I found some cool stuff -

Like creeping around abandoned airports

car meets at the original farmers market -

doing things that only movie people are allowed to do:

eating at time capsule diners every day

private collections...

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

MrYenko posted:

So immediately after contemplating a move to Sarasota, I thought of LobsterboyX

It’s certainly commitment to a theme. And what the hell else are you going to do with a snail-shell house.

Heh, somebody linked me to that Sarasota Magazine article a few months ago. I wonder how much you'd have to offer to get them to sell it furnished, since that's probably another couple hundred grand worth of Mid-Century furniture and fixtures that would be hard to replace.

When we were looking at properties in Marco Island we almost bought a house that had that exact same stove in the kitchen (house built in 1967). This one looked like it came from the bathroom in Trainspotting, though. Yechh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit, now I'm gonna have Wheatus stuck in my head all day.

LBX, you have some of the best stories. I'm not familiar with her work, but Allee sounds like she was an amazing person.

MrYenko posted:

It’s certainly commitment to a theme. And what the hell else are you going to do with a snail-shell house.

Holy poo poo. I'd be afraid to even fart near any of that furniture, but that's someone very committed to MCM.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I would like to say that this thread is a gem and that LobsterboyX is a wonderful human being contributing greatly to society for the things he's doing.

I know it's been rough, but the journey has been worth it.

The photos are also amazing. Both you and your wife have an amazing ability to frame a shot; even casual "I found this crap" photos end up looking professionally staged, and I appreciate that natural artistry.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

STR posted:

Goddamnit, now I'm gonna have Wheatus stuck in my head all day.

LBX, you have some of the best stories. I'm not familiar with her work, but Allee sounds like she was an amazing person.

Holy poo poo. I'd be afraid to even fart near any of that furniture, but that's someone very committed to MCM.

Thank you! She was a very cool lady.

I'm really, really, really not be so precious about furniture, as my little man enters the terrible 2's, I fear for the safety of my good stuff..

my only rule in the house is to go nowhere near our oil cloth parlor set -

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I would like to say that this thread is a gem and that LobsterboyX is a wonderful human being contributing greatly to society for the things he's doing.

I know it's been rough, but the journey has been worth it.

The photos are also amazing. Both you and your wife have an amazing ability to frame a shot; even casual "I found this crap" photos end up looking professionally staged, and I appreciate that natural artistry.

holy poo poo, thats an intensely kind comment, thank you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LobsterboyX posted:

my only rule in the house is to go nowhere near our oil cloth parlor set -

Time to go full on great-grandparents and put plastic covers on everything. :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

That house is way cool.
Interesting to note how the modern fridge is bigger than the spot it occupies. I had the same issue in my (1964) kitchen - the new fridge overlaps the doorway to the garage a bit just like that. I measured to make sure the fridge would fit width and height, but never even though about it being too deep. Thankfully the door opens out into the garage.

I want that green chair.

quote:

Turns out this woman was Allee Willis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allee_Willis

here's more info, in her words, about the house:

http://alleewillis.com/williswonderland/

Holy crap, that's amazing!
I'm not sure I could live the kitsch lifestyle, but I definitely appreciate the aesthetic. One of the things I love about Fallout is the retro-50s/Atomic Age feel to everything.

STR posted:

Seems like a decent compromise, at least until he's older and can appreciate it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

STR posted:

I've honestly thought about it, but he's such a great kid, he really doesn't fool with them too much. Our living room was completely restyled before he was born to have a bit more modern furniture. We had a beautiful 1940s rattan set by Paul Frankl, kidney shaped coffee table and a really great vintage tropical rug. We didn't get rid of that stuff, we just moved it to our outside room after our long term tenant left.

On that note, I myself grew up in a home similar to what we've got going on here, what a shocker... My mom was an Interior Designer, and had a passion for antiques. While her style was different than mine, I still grew up in a house full of antiques, I also grew up going to antique stores with her for her work. I was told I could touch anything I wanted when we were out, but as long it was with only one finger. Genius parenting move.

Our style in the house isn't so flamboyant like Allee's house, but its a solid mix of hardcore art deco stuff, repop rugs and some vintage tropical - we're steering away from the tropical because we're turning our ADU in to a tiki bar/lounge that will be flamboyant and far out.

We're getting ready to re-do our bedroom soon - we're going to do a Ahwahnee hotel theme - whats that, you dont know the Ahwahnee?

well enjoy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahwahnee_Hotel

still don't understand?

It's actually The Overlook hotel

I think one day I'm going to try and turn our old master bath in to this:

Maybe I'll share some photos of the wackyness we've done to our house that we're not going to change.

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 07:14 on May 8, 2022

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I bought some propellers from Texas -

they're about 4' each, my guess is that they're off something like a twin beech -

something like this:

Those look like Hartzell blades to me. I think there's conversions, but the props on that Beech are Hamilton Standard. I work in a prop shop (specifically on Hamilton Standard stuff). If you're looking for Hamilton Standard stuff, the blades will have a set of steel thrust washers on the shank. They transfer the load from the fillet of the blade to the barrel, and are the surfaces the bearing rides on.

DC3's typically rock a 23E50 prop.

E; more specifically, we did a prop for a beech 18 recently, that one is running 22D30 props. Individual blade assembly numbers 6533A-18.

surivdaoreht fucked around with this message at 09:55 on May 10, 2022

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

surivdaoreht posted:

Those look like Hartzell blades to me. I think there's conversions, but the props on that Beech are Hamilton Standard. I work in a prop shop (specifically on Hamilton Standard stuff). If you're looking for Hamilton Standard stuff, the blades will have a set of steel thrust washers on the shank. They transfer the load from the fillet of the blade to the barrel, and are the surfaces the bearing rides on.

DC3's typically rock a 23E50 prop.

E; more specifically, we did a prop for a beech 18 recently, that one is running 22D30 props. Individual blade assembly numbers 6533A-18.

have any 23E50's laying around?

I have to get your contact info.. I have... questions.

_____

"go stand in front of your car, ill take your picture"

heartmelting.

fixed up the power steering and now this sucker is back on the road!

I've been driving it a few times a week to work...

drove this one to work too...

speaking of work, got to hang out in this super secret location

12 miles, 45 minutes... its torture for them, but I really enjoy it.

cruise night has been fun too...

so one of these cruise nights, my headlight burnt out - went and got a new set and when I went to go install them..

this is called a "steel back" - they were used for an extremely short period of time in the early/mid 50s, this was original to the car - as you can see, its lived a rather full life.

I replaced them with a set of NAPA bulbs, I'm very fond of the pattern on these, I think they're classy.

As much as I'd like to get a set of nice NOS steel backs, they are expensive as all get out and eh...

speaking of lights... I took my alien abduction lamp to work, to save it from toddler hands..

its a hit.. pretty much everyone in the office says "where did you get that? I need one"

speaking of "need one"

a friend of mine was "just playing" with a new technique for sketching cars, so he took a crack at some of mine..

I need some tee shirts, just for myself!

to make a long story short, I'm really enjoying where I am right now.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
One of my favorite new words is mudita; joy at someone else's happiness/good fortune/success. This thread shines with it in every pixel.
There are not enough :3: s in the world.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

joat mon posted:

One of my favorite new words is mudita; joy at someone else's happiness/good fortune/success. This thread shines with it in every pixel.
There are not enough :3: s in the world.

100% concur!

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
BRO. Look what I just saw on the local craigslist. $75 bucks. I could even crate it up and ship it to you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DUDE WAGON

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I'd snatch it up if I still had real littles. My 4yr old would be too big. Maybe just work with the patina and put it on some phat whitewalls slammed.

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Lots of 23E50 stuff kicking around, not that it’s mine to do much with lol

Email is theroadvirus@gmail.com, send me an email and we can exchange more info if you like, I’ll answer whatever I can

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
The Dude Wagon is drat cool, but I'm afraid I can't commit to another project -

I thought about buying a vintage one for my kid, but I thought about how on edge I would be if I was to spend a lot money/time on only for him to crash it in to a wall.

I think Sharky is going to need that more than I will!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

The Dude Wagon is drat cool, but I'm afraid I can't commit to another project -

I thought about buying a vintage one for my kid, but I thought about how on edge I would be if I was to spend a lot money/time on only for him to crash it in to a wall.

I think Sharky is going to need that more than I will!

Because I'm swimming in free time over here, not drowning in projects. Blub blub.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

This looks like it'd be right up your alley but I have no idea if there's an easy way of determining if this is a complete waste of time or if there's actual gold here. I imagine you have to just go and look but maybe you have a better method by now. The last few pics stress me out just looking at them.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Im about to spend a lot of money - thank god none of you guys live in LA and are in to vintage poo poo, those photos are filled with gold and I'm going to go get them

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LobsterboyX posted:

Im about to spend a lot of money - thank god none of you guys live in LA and are in to vintage poo poo, those photos are filled with gold and I'm going to go get them

LOL I am dying at that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

RIP Lobsterboy’s wallet

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

LobsterboyX posted:

Good thing I'm not there, we'd be fighting over that poo poo

drat.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MrYenko posted:

RIP Lobsterboy’s wallet

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Stop distracting Lobsterboy, I want to see car progress.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Dang. All killer, no filler.

Can't wait to see pics of the haul!

Kurten
May 28, 2001

100% less banned. 50% more sober. 0% less bitter. NOW WITH LOWER BLOOD PRESSURE!

LobsterboyX posted:

Post the beer signs. The old ones are worth some serious money. Any Hamms stuff there you should snatch up immediately.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are you guys looking at different pics? Irony posting? I was going to stop by at 9am and look for a vise, but I'm recovering from travels and didn't make it.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
Well, not to say I am let down, but the haul wasn't as great as I thought it would be.

First off, this house was in really, really bad shape. There were 3-4 women running the sale and they were all family of the deceased. This is very common. The eldest woman was the mans daughter, and we could tell there was a bit of a divide between father and daughter

the other part of this is that this place has had sales going on for awhile - some of the choice items in the photos were already sold, and not today, they were sold "a few weeks back" including the vise, cabinet and the majority of the beer signs.

not to say there wasn't gold there, because there was.

First the car - the car is a 1960 Ford Starliner - a very cool one year only body style, and a cool one at that, a 2 door hardtop. the man bought the car as a used car in 1964 and has been in the family since then. The car runs and drives, and is not as rough as it looked in the photos. The family was told it was worth quite a bit more than it should be, so when they told me the price I was a bit shocked, they want $17,500 for the car, but when I asked she just said "seventeen five". Personally I feel this car should be 7-10,000 bucks, but I purposely asked the number on the car after getting a few prices on smaller items.

at these sales, especially when family members are involved, I find that there are "hangups" that can be very beneficial to you getting a good price on stuff. for instance, they were hung up on the car and the beer signs, because someone probably told them that they were the most valuable items, leaving room for the deal on the things that they don't know about.

The man who owned the house was a neighborhood shadetree mechanic and bought out an entire auto parts shop in the 70s and filled his home with parts to fix cars. There were drawers upon drawers of new in box auto parts - mostly for 70s cars. there were a few choice items I grabbed just because I know what they are..

The beer signs were picked, and nothing older than the 70s or 80s- my wife made a pretty good run at buying and selling stuff like this when we were younger, so she was keen to the fact that they weren't letting anything go cheap.

there was also about 150-200 fishing poles and reels in there - looked like a lot of 80s/90s walmart stuff to me, but I'm no expert in that stuff at all.

There were a few larger machine tools that the guy used including a brake lathe which would be ideal for an independent auto parts shop, looked like it was in near perfect, well used shape.

a new in box 1960s Brunswick "black beauty" bowling ball that I thought about picking up, but obviously drilled for a smaller person than me, I know you can fill and redrill balls, but there wasn't anything too cool about it other than the original cardboard box.

there was a few old radios and record players, nothing special - nice old console TV that looked like it weighed a ton..

It's too bad because I had a wad of cash and only wound up spending about 20 bucks.

I bought these 2 boxes of mallory ignition parts because they are for the old style cast iron distributors that are rare as hell. - I already have a few of them sold to guys I know looking for original parts.

some crusty skiptooth bicycle chain - for those not in the know, bicycle chain used to skip every other link until about 1955 when they all switched over to full teeth.

the perfect 3 examples of Plomb wrenches - these were made in los angeles and are pretty rare, specifically the pebble casting ones - I've always wanted a full set of these..

got these 2 cool handmade custom knobs - this style was really popular in the mid 50s, first shown on the Hirohata merc - guys would make these in plastics classes in high school - you can still get them from a few places, but these are pretty cool.

got a full set of these isky racing springs. dont know what they're for, but I love the box and on the off chance they will fit my flatty..

this cute little valve grinder tool

custom aircleaner insert

so... not a whole lot. this was just a little bit past my era, mostly late 60s-80s, so not that honey hole i thought it was, the house itself was in very bad shape, and you could tell there was some big hoarding issues. we got the ladys number, she's going to do it again in a few weeks.

the best sales always happen by accident.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You have to love them listing things like 50's beer signs then already selling them, but at least you got something to make it worth your visit.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Did you send some stickers to a Mr. Puddin's Fab shop? Noticed the Traffic Violator on his mail call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwm1S0WEh1w&t=566s

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

DoubleT2172 posted:

Did you send some stickers to a Mr. Puddin's Fab shop? Noticed the Traffic Violator on his mail call
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwm1S0WEh1w&t=566s

:wave: Yup I did - I've really been enjoying watching him mess with those little trucks. Fun channel!

better yet, I gave him a chuckle with the deviled eggs car club sticker

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like Puddin. Wish he'd quit coming to Texas and stealing all the little box trucks, though. I'd like one of those.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Friend sent me this. Figured it would be of interest here...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I like Puddin. Wish he'd quit coming to Texas and stealing all the little box trucks, though. I'd like one of those.

When I first started watching them, I had this weird "memory unlocked" moment about those little trucks - I remembered my dad got one one time to move his precious fish tanks - I remember him complaining about how lovely this thing was and him saying something like "this little piece of poo poo is hardly a truck"

but yes, I kinda want one too.

ishikabibble posted:

Friend sent me this. Figured it would be of interest here...

Yes! I knew about it, and I'm fully planning on going, there is also a car show that they're doing out there which I'd love to go to, but I sadly have a work event that weekend - I'm going to try and play hookey that sunday, but I doubt I will be able to.

In the meantime, I spent some time doing some stickers so I'm going to re-up. I've got some funny ones in the works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

My brother called me asking me if I knew anyone who knew about old Buicks. I asked why and he said he had found one cheap but something was wrong with the driveshaft.

I remembered you had found that 42 business coupe and figured you may know how big of a headache this is likely to be.

Here are the pics he sent

Supposedly a 1939 Special Convertible

According to the seller, it was restored at some point in the 70s, last on the road in the 90s. Apparently something in the driveshaft broke which lead to it sitting and 2 generations passing away in the meantime. The current owner wanted to see it go to someone who would put it back on the road.

My brother said the paint was pretty rough but looking at the pics I'm wondering if the rust and crud would buff out.

Apparently the interior, top and tires are in decent shape.

I'm going to assume the motor/carb/trans/brakes are all going to be siezed from sitting but it looks like it was stored in a climated controlled building so they may not need much.

Cursory googling seems to indicate the 1939 buicks used a one year only driveshaft design that used a torque ball that is unobtanium. I don't even know what a driveshaft torque ball is off the top of my head so I'm assuming it's some arcane buick innovation that will cost 5x what the car does to get a replacement.