Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Madkal posted:

My nurse wife and her buddies want to give a hearty gently caress you to your opinion about them not wanting to fight for things to get better. I don't know where you opinion that the only way nurses to get better treatment is to let people die but people don't go into nursing or other health care professions thinking "well if work sucks I can just neglect patient care until I get what I want".

Absolutely this. A lot of people, including myself, had to make very difficult decisions during the pandemic, and I wouldn't even say my case was anything close to what nurses would go through. When I said, "no, gently caress you, this isn't safe," at most it cost people some money and inconvenience. No one died or particularly suffered. People in the medical profession don't really have that luxury.

Now, on the other hand, I've been working steady since last summer now, and I've been exposed to COVID multiple times including close contact for extended periods, and it turns out... wearing an N95, and not taking it off even to eat or drink, actually does seem to work; either that or I'm the luckiest motherfucker in existence because I've avoided it while my students and coworkers haven't. This poo poo is mad contagious and you need to take serious precautions against it, including ones you might not like. I don't think it's feasible to make everyone do this by force of law, and frankly I barely care anymore. Make your own choices. Smoke; don't smoke. Wear a mask; don't wear a mask. Get the vaccine; don't get the vaccine. I can't make idiots see sense and for my mental health I've stopped trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Lol that is an astoundingly bad take. What have you personally been doing to help that makes you feel so in a position to preach from your high horse?

Oh lol too cowardly to keep that posted in the d&d thread.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Fuckin :lmao:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tired gay and dead posted:

Oh wait this is the wrong thread, sorry.

Hi there! Did you mean to quote this post in CSPAM from two weeks ago, perhaps?

Karach posted:

I don't know if any other conservative party hates public servants as viscerally as the MB PCs do. I don't know how nurses put up with this.

You did seem to have some piquant thoughts of a Canadian political nature that would have benefited from additional context; please do include that next time!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Madkal posted:

...people don't go into nursing or other health care professions thinking "...I can just neglect patient care".

Unless the patients are Indigenous, of course.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

CBC... not terrible? I feel like Evan Dyer is going to get called into Catherine Tait's office for a talking to.

https://twitter.com/CJPME/status/1521810666495123461

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

You can’t just walk off the job as a nurse you can lose your licence and be charged lol.

Many nurses are doing something about their lovely wages: quitting. A ton of younger nurses I worked with did travel or agency nursing and made 3x what they did doing their same job. I apply for jobs and have calls to interview within 1-3 days usually. The shortage is coming but it’s prob gonna get filled with tfw from India and the Philippines cause no one is gonna pay nurses more.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

PT6A posted:

wearing an N95, and not taking it off even to eat or drink,

I'd like to see video of this

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I eat or drink outside or in private, 99% of the time. I'm not perfect, obviously, but the fact that I wear an N95 at all when indoors seems to have drastically lowered my odds of catching COVID given that I know I've been exposed multiple times.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I heard an ad today from Scotiabank for setting up a savings account. In the ad they're talking about things you'd want to save up for and one of them was "first month's payment when you finally sign the lease on your dream house".

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

BaronVanAwesome posted:

https://youtu.be/by2RBoxBMyo?t=22 :v:

Mr. Apollo posted:

I heard an ad today from Scotiabank for setting up a savings account. In the ad they're talking about things you'd want to save up for and one of them was "first month's payment when you finally sign the lease on your dream house".

There's a local BMO add that has the line "or apply for your second, third or fourth mortgage on that rental property you have your eye on" and it always manages to just make me angrier about the housing situation in this country.

Did you know homes in Barrie are now selling for a cool million? Well they are! :smithicide:

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol. Barrie's nice but everyone living there works in Toronto.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

evilpicard posted:

Lol. Barrie's nice

I wouldn't go that far

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I mean my work locations were Hamilton, St Catherines, Peterborough, Newmarket, SSM, Thunder Bay, etc. Barrie was always one of my favourite stops.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Farley Mowat’s Lost In The Barrie

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

infernal machines posted:

I wouldn't go that far

Yeah, I'd stop at Black Creek Village, maybe Wonderland if I'm feeling adventurous. And back in my day, Wonderland used to be surrounded by empty fields, and we'd go pick our own strawberries (50c/pound) in Scarborough wearing onions on our belts, which was the fashion at the time. Anyway,

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I hadn't been to Wonderland in years, so when I had to drive up there a few years ago I was surprised to see it's in the middle of a sub division now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I did an impromptu tour of the border of Caledon, Brampton, Bolton, and Vaughan and it's all new construction subdivisions and every old multi-acre lot is up for sale, with the owners no doubt livid that they're suddenly in the city again.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

I hadn't been to Wonderland in years, so when I had to drive up there a few years ago I was surprised to see it's in the middle of a sub division now.

I bet you were 'wondering' where all of the arable farm'land' went, ha ha! (the irreplaceable topsoil is available for purchase at participating Canadian Tire/Rona locations)

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mr. Apollo posted:

yeah dude step outside your front door and just have behemoth going 350mph around a corner like 15 ft from your front porch

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Slotducks posted:

yeah dude step outside your front door and just have behemoth going 350mph around a corner like 15 ft from your front porch

I've never really wanted to live in those apartments next to the Gardiner.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah I was skeptical when they added that loop-the-loop to the Gardiner but I have to admit that it's a pretty space-efficient offramp design.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tagesschau posted:

TBF, no one has been above 40KM/h on that stretch of the Gardener in decades

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

tagesschau posted:

I used to lol. Rented one of those Lakeshore condos for a couple years a while ago.

To be honest the noise wasn't that bad (and we were literally on level with the Gardiner), they soundproof those apartments real well to external noise (at the apparent expense of internal walls within the apartment, those were papwr thin).

The main issues were 1. You need really good blackout curtains otherwise with all the streetlights right there it's like Kramer and the Kenny Roger's Roasters and 2. A couple times a year you had to scrape off a thick layer of exhaust grime from the windows.

Also the general construction of those condos was rear end garbage but that's a whole different can of worms.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 5, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd kill for soundproofed windows, everytime a bus rolls by they shake like mad and I can hear the engines roaring.

Been looking for a place in Hali proper for months now but finding an apartment with a three digit rent in Hali is like finding a bad donair (literally impossible)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Unrelated to the highway noise but a few years ago a guy was looking for a roommate in one of those lakeshore apartments so I went to check it out thinking it was a really good deal for a two bedroom.

Got there and it turned out it was a 1 bedroom, I’d be paying the bulk of the rent and the other guy would sleep on the couch. He also said “my last roommate would go up to see his parents every weekend and that worked out really well for me so if you could do that I would prefer it”.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Starks posted:

Unrelated to the highway noise but a few years ago a guy was looking for a roommate in one of those lakeshore apartments so I went to check it out thinking it was a really good deal for a two bedroom.

Got there and it turned out it was a 1 bedroom, I’d be paying the bulk of the rent and the other guy would sleep on the couch. He also said “my last roommate would go up to see his parents every weekend and that worked out really well for me so if you could do that I would prefer it”.

You never did call me back... :v:

I know polling in Canada is dreadful but on the news on the way home from work they were saying that the initial polls had Ford in majority territory with the Liberals holding a strong second place.

Is there any political party as incompetent as the ONDP? :negative:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Furnaceface posted:

You never did call me back... :v:

I know polling in Canada is dreadful but on the news on the way home from work they were saying that the initial polls had Ford in majority territory with the Liberals holding a strong second place.

It doesn't help that the ONDP supporters aren't screaming for change and will point to the last election as a "great showing" and say that it means that this election will be even better for the ONDP.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No change but incremental change!

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Furnaceface posted:

Greens,

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

This is just going to go so, so well.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leadership-candidates-debate-1.6442977

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Constant road noise is certainly different than springtime in the Comox valley. This time of year, we get lawnmowers, dandelions, and the sudden appearance of 4 1/2 brace of snowbirds out for a rip at 300 feet overhead. Plenty of open sea, and uninhabited mountains around here to do your spring training over. My garden doesn't need to be on the flightpath.

442 taking the cormorant out at all hours is fine. They're an actually useful bunch.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I didn't understand a loving word of that gibberish.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

B33rChiller posted:

Constant road noise is certainly different than springtime in the Comox valley. This time of year, we get lawnmowers, dandelions, and the sudden appearance of 4 1/2 brace of snowbirds out for a rip at 300 feet overhead. Plenty of open sea, and uninhabited mountains around here to do your spring training over. My garden doesn't need to be on the flightpath.

442 taking the cormorant out at all hours is fine. They're an actually useful bunch.

I understood all of this and you have my sympathies.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

linoleum floors posted:

Jets and helicopters make big whoosh.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

linoleum floors posted:

They live near CFB Comax which is the home to 442 Transport and Rescue Squadron which flies the CH-149 Cormorant helicopter.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So our now-former mayor is running in my riding for the Liberals, I assume hoping that his 8 years as mayor help boost him over the tiny amount the Cons keep winning by for this riding. It might actually work.

Also Pekka Rinne is running for ONDP in Barrie South again and I have nothing but respect for the guy for giving it a third try despite the huge losses he took last time. Ive met him before and he is honestly a super nice dude, shame he is running in one of the most conservative ridings in the province.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

So our now-former mayor is running in my riding for the Liberals, I assume hoping that his 8 years as mayor help boost him over the tiny amount the Cons keep winning by for this riding. It might actually work.

Also Pekka Rinne is running for ONDP in Barrie South again and I have nothing but respect for the guy for giving it a third try despite the huge losses he took last time. Ive met him before and he is honestly a super nice dude, shame he is running in one of the most conservative ridings in the province.

You made me look up what one of my favorite goalies of the last twenty years was up to. Sadly, Pekka did not move to Barrie to become an NDP MLA candidate.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Poor Pekka Reinio must get that a lot.

Also his name might be even easier to mispronounce as pecorino.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/elections-alberta-investigate-bulk-ucp-membership-purchase-1.6445702?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar

Guessing Brian is just mad he didn't do