Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

A few days old, but Gord coming in with some heat:

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1520504205085134849

:thurman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Evander Kane's working out pretty well for a guy with a massive gambling problem and domestic violence allegations that probably shouldn't have been working out well currently in the NHL, huh?

absolutely, I highly recommend the Oilers give him a massive contract immediately

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Give him a five year therapy contract.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Blues are gonna have to dig into the AHL for #6 d-man after Bortuzzo took a shot to the face and Boldy boarded Leddy probably giving him a concussion (no penalty!)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Random notes after speedrunning last night's games:

Wayne Simmonds is so bad. He is so so bad. Like we make fun of the Rangers for playing Ryan Reaves but Simmonds is worse.

Speaking of people who are very bad at their jobs, Sheldon Keefe is very bad at his job and should have been fired a long time ago. Keefe matching wits with Jon Cooper is like Rob Scuderi trying to defend Connor McDavid.

The Bruins are such shithead meltdown babies. It's not just being dirty, the Lightning for example are a very dirty team but it's coldblooded violence, they take every opportunity to injure an opponent because it's good strategy. The Bruins just lose their loving minds when things go against them. It's very reminiscent of the late Bylsma era Penguins and doesn't speak well to Cassidy's coaching at all. The Hurricanes don't have an NHL goaltender (thanks to a highly successful bit of purposeful violence by Pastrnak!) and the Bruins could have gotten back into and maybe won that game if they hadn't wasted half of it on an extended temper tantrum.

Every time the camera goes to a shot of Dean Evason on the bench my brain sees Creed from The Office and I can't take him seriously.

MAF has found the fountain of youth, but in his case that's not a good thing. He's really devolved into his old bad habits over the past couple years, poor positioning, frequently doesn't know where his post is, a lot of flailing around that looks really cool but isn't actually good goaltending.

Jonathan Quick looks really sad. I want to give him a hug and ask him if he's okay.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 5, 2022

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Penguins still do that lol

It's a "they have Malkin" problem, not a coaching problem.

Boston can't score on Raanta, so it's not like I had high hopes for them scoring on the other guy either.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 5, 2022

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I thought the Bruins looked pretty good in both games (maybe moreso in Game 1) they're just not finishing. Could very easily see that series coming back to Carolina 2-2 if their top six heats up.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tom Wilson didn’t skate this morning and the Caps called up Brett Leason. Hathaway up to the third line.

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPell/status/1522237752393273348?s=20&t=KAW1Dvo0alh_MZfCHoke-g

Tom is still a game time decision but he’s probably out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Bruins are really good, but they've got to pull their heads out of their asses and play 60+ minutes of focused hockey, because the Hurricanes are really good too and are doing that. Especially if Raanta is out for a while the Bruins have a decent chance to get back and win the series, but beating the Hurricanes four games out of five is a tall task. The Bruins can't afford to piss away another period on road rage.

The Lightning are more prone to tune out and coast for stretches and get scored on than they were in the past (keeping up the intensity required to win the Cup for three straight years is really loving hard) and I don't think the Panthers are going to go deep. Whoever wins the Carolina-Boston series has a really good chance to win the Cup. Well, Carolina will need an NHL goalie to get that far.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 5, 2022

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If Marchand's already resorting to his bullshit to try to intimidate a 3rd string goalie who looks like he's got 7 inches and a good 30 lbs on him, that's not a great sign

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sure that's one way to interpret being punched while not looking, I guess.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Whoever wins the Carolina-Boston series has a really good chance to win the Cup. Well, Carolina will need an NHL goalie to get that far.

They finished 3rd without one, they'll be fine.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the scores in the Boston-Carolina games look more lopsided than the games have actually been, but I still think the Bruins are probably going to lose unless they win both these at home. They've eliminated Carolina in their last two playoff meetups (4-0 and 4-1) so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a mild chip on the Hurricanes' shoulders either. It also doesn't help that McAvoy and Bergeron are the only players who have really showed up so far.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

he's got 7 inches and a good 30 lbs on him

You're describing 95% of the league. Marchand is just a poo poo heal and he's far too good at it.

Boston has been mediocre so far, and they look like a team unprepared to be in the playoffs. Which is quite hilarious, but I'd prefer if they at least did the league a favor and knocked out Carolina before turning into a pumpkin.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Was there ever any word on what actually happened to DeSmith? Like is he still on the toilet or what

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Postseason and regular season combined Carolina is 5-0 and have outscored the Bruins 26-4. Carolina may just be the better team.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Glambags posted:

Was there ever any word on what actually happened to DeSmith? Like is he still on the toilet or what

It is lower body and it looked like he limped out when Domingue came in.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So what's the running count on (obviously apparent) concussions from hits now, 2 in 2 days? 3 in 2 days?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tom Wilson confirmed to be out tonight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mage_Boy posted:

It is lower body and it looked like he limped out when Domingue came in.

Still not clear if it was poop related or not. We've all done that walk.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every time the camera goes to a shot of Dean Evason on the bench my brain sees Creed from The Office and I can't take him seriously.

Yeah they're the same person... Creed seems to pretty good NHL coach along with the acting chops.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't see the Penguins winning a game 2 that the Rangers consider must win and in which Louis Domingue is starting. Hard to see them winning the series as well if he ends up having to start multiple games but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This has been researched extensively by lazy memeticians.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Yeah they're the same person... Creed seems to pretty good NHL coach along with the acting chops.

They honestly seem to have a similar personality in the interviews too. It's uncanny and awesome.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

The Penguins still do that lol

It's a "they have Malkin" problem, not a coaching problem.

Boston can't score on Raanta, so it's not like I had high hopes for them scoring on the other guy either.

Letang is as equally a headcase as Malkin when things go poorly.

Sid sometimes too, but a little less so than the other two

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Letang is as equally a headcase as Malkin when things go poorly.

Sid sometimes too, but a little less so than the other two

They all play better when they're pissed off... up to a point.
Once they go past that point though they just start chopping people like they're playing Mutant League and that's not a game they can win

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/marxgasol/status/1522061713658417153?s=21&t=RaDxjWyAOMMFZiCObgb4Yg

This loving rules, if you can prove you work on the rigs they let you blast nose beers in there

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1522249427339165696?s=20&t=oMxETX8Fqtg8MRg_5L95UA

what's the covid protocol for the playoffs? the only reason the leafs and oilers would be doing this is to dodge mandatory testing because they're scared they'd lose players to positive results, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Booking it's kind of a hassle too.

Lots of testing places have closed.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Is that the incentive though? Or are teams trying to avoid tests because they're carrying covid cases?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

Is that the incentive though? Or are teams trying to avoid tests because they're carrying covid cases?

They’re not testing until there are symptoms in the NHL, so I’m sure they don’t want to take the risk of losing someone when they can just spend some money and avoid the potential issue or losing someone for a week to protocol. If you don’t test everyone, you can’t lose anyone to a positive test.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

the talent deficit posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1522249427339165696?s=20&t=oMxETX8Fqtg8MRg_5L95UA

what's the covid protocol for the playoffs? the only reason the leafs and oilers would be doing this is to dodge mandatory testing because they're scared they'd lose players to positive results, right?

Back in November, covid tests were not required for land crossing into the US, but they were for air travel. You're probably right on that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You know, it seemed like several teams had a rash of guys going out with minor injuries at the same time and now I've started wondering if that was the team's way of hiding covid cases after private tests.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

You know, it seemed like several teams had a rash of guys going out with minor injuries at the same time and now I've started wondering if that was the team's way of hiding covid cases after private tests.

I'm pretty highly suspicious of the Avalanche having a bunch of guys popping up with non COVID illnesses this last month or so.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/timandfriends/status/1522273188528496647

I'm assuming this is like.. standard operating procedure and it's common place not to re-set the scoreboard until the next event starts, but still kind of funny..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A reply says the game 1 morning skate still had the 5-4 Preds win (Colorado's last home game) before Game 1.

So it's at least normal for the Avs.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Every bracket I see has the winner of NYR/PIT playing the winner of BOS/CAR. Is that correct no matter what? Do they not re-seed to start the second round anymore?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They do not. It's intradivisional for the first two rounds except the bottom two teams in each conference can get switched into the other division based on their records and the division winners' records.

Why yes of course it's stupid as hell, this is the NHL after all.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

OldSenileGuy posted:

Every bracket I see has the winner of NYR/PIT playing the winner of BOS/CAR. Is that correct no matter what? Do they not re-seed to start the second round anymore?

That would be correct. It's the Metro side of the bracket.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sounds like Dumoulin isn't playing tonight. He hasn't been stellar but that still feels like a blow if it means Beaulieu comes in. Maybe they'll use Friedman instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It will be an upgrade either way, or would be except it means Matheson is going to play 28 minutes. Dumo is Scuderi level cooked :sigh: