Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Cythereal posted:

Call it exploitative if you want. Almost nothing these days isn't exploitative, especially in the media.

"These days"?:raise: Not to pick on you because I know you didn't mean this, but I do love people who complain about how "this is just exploitatively pandering to groups to make a quick buck" as though Hollywood hasn't done that since... since there was a Hollywood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

This was probably my favorite show so far. Good poo poo. Kevin Feige and the creative people in charge of these shows and movies have good heads on them. Somehow they aren't the same show/movie with a different skin repeated over and over.

afroserty
Apr 22, 2010
Diversity is cool but if a line of dialogue is so jarring and awkward that you can actually see through a piece of media and witness a group of writers patting eachother on the back while the sign "Show Don't Tell" withers and crumbles on the writing room wall, I actually felt myself wilt when I heard it. It spoke down to the audience more than anything and that is what I found issue with. It's either for children or its not, and that line was directed at someone under 10.

Representation feels a bit half hearted in areas, like if they say that all the Egypgtian language scenes are accurate, why not have accurate subtitles instead of (CHANTING IN EGYPTION). Give me a foreign language MCU film.

You can't give Disney and Marvel such awards for representation/diversity when they remove it when it isn't suitable for profit, but I guess thats a bigger argument.

I argue for better diversity not less of it, as I'm sure this point will be misconstrued.

Finale was 7/10

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like people against that moment are treating it as a much bigger and more distracting thing than it actually was. It was cute, that's all.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

A foreign language MCU film would be super cool. That's a good idea and I would love to see that.

I thought the Egyptian superhero scene was fairly well done here though, I thought it flowed well and made sense. Not like the scene in endgame which felt super forced and didn't make sense in the context of what was going on.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hot take: It is dumb to ask an Egyptian lady if she's an Egyptian superhero, whilst she;s wearing Egyptian styled dress, fighting in front of the pyramids, the baddies are yelling about Ammit and Khonshu, and Egyptian gods are battling in the sky.

That child was clearly an idiot, and Layla should have told her what an idiot she clearly was.

Edit: "are you an Egyptian superhero?" "No, i'm loving Irish, can't you tell?"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hot take: It is dumb to ask an Egyptian lady if she's an Egyptian superhero, whilst she;s wearing Egyptian styled dress, fighting in front of the pyramids, the baddies are yelling about Ammit and Khonshu, and Egyptian gods are battling in the sky.

That child was clearly an idiot, and Layla should have told her what an idiot she clearly was.

This is a fair take

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Arist posted:

I feel like people against that moment are treating it as a much bigger and more distracting thing than it actually was. It was cute, that's all.

:yeah:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

As cute as the scene was to me, I actually agree with this lol

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Yeah i mean a more naturalistic way of doing it would be having the girl turn to a friend and say 'look! she's an egyptian superhero!' and filming it on her phone or whatever, but also it was a line clearly intended to make middle eastern children feel good about themselves, which isn't exactly out of place in a corporate machine explicitly designed to make children (and manchildren) feel good about themselves

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

That was definitely the best MCU TV show so far, and the only one that's really genuinely stuck the landing (Loki and Hawkeye did okay).

The only nitpicks I have are that the 3rd episode was weirdly and clumsily put together, and that the post-credits stinger scene should have just been the pre-credits end of the episode because it's really vital to the ending of the show.

Does Layla in full costume have a Marvel superhero equivalent? I'm not a big Moon Knight fan.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 5, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

She is the Scarlet Scarab. No you should not know who this was before the show. Even Moon Knight is fairly obscure to a lot of people.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shang-Chi used a lot of subbed Chinese

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Does Layla in full costume have a Marvel superhero equivalent? I'm not a big Moon Knight fan.

She's the Scarlet Scarab but a girl now

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mohameddiab678/status/1522019765581082624

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Goons will never stop trying to find ways to be cynical about the media they consume endlessly.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chitoryu12 posted:

Goons will never stop trying to find ways to be cynical about the media they consume endlessly.

"This character did not appeal to me personally so therefore they were worthless!"

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

No reason we can’t be critical about things we enjoy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Especially loved the one who got mad cause it appealed to kids. My guy this ain't an arthouse franchise

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Can someone give a quick run down of what Midnight Sons is about and how Moon Knight fits in?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

kazil posted:

Can someone give a quick run down of what Midnight Sons is about and how Moon Knight fits in?

He doesn't, the guy who wrote the Asylum arc of Moon Knight (the one that the show cribbed from heavily) wanted to bring him in. Moon Knight has traditionally been a Secret Avenger (that's a thing), and for obvious reasons he doesn't work well on a team (being a team himself).

The best way of describing Midnight Sons is it was born in the early 90s, has a lot of baggage from that era, and is a sort of Marvel's Weird Tales Superhero Team pastiche. It even had its own branding for a bit (I have one of these comics lying around somewhere) although it didn't last long because quite honestly it's pretty forgettable supernatural cape stuff. It has a rotating cast of members and IIRC the big names it has in it are Blade, Ghost Rider, Doctor Strange, the Punisher (at one point), and, I poo poo you not, Morbius. And also Magick (hey, Magick is a big name if you were reading New Mutants in the late 80s/early 90s! Trust me!) There's obviously some push by Marvel to get it rolling again because Firaxis has the X-Com guy making a Slay-the-Spire-type tactical card game battler using the branding, and now they've mentioned it in regards to this show. Which is good! I want to see Creepy Superhero Teamups, nothing wrong with that!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

kazil posted:

Unrelated super heroes band together to fight a Supernatural threat. Moon Knight fights a lot of supernatural things, and he's a good punch man, plus he can fist fight ghosts, which is a pretty rare skill set.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's true. Warren Ellis made Moon Knight a definitive ghost puncher.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's obviously some push by Marvel to get it rolling again because Firaxis has the X-Com guy making a Slay-the-Spire-type tactical card game battler using the branding, and now they've mentioned it in regards to this show. Which is good! I want to see Creepy Superhero Teamups, nothing wrong with that!

They've also appeared in the tabletop tactics game Marvel launched a year or two ago, with a roster at present of Blade, Black Cat, Doctor Strange, Doctor Voodoo, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Wong, and Moon Knight.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I hope they don't do a Morbius tie in with the MCU because I refuse to watch anything with real life cult leader, sexually abusive psychopathic "method actor", and generally lovely musician Jared Leto.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Jared Leto always looks as though he's just been told he's under arrest for suspicion of murder.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Cythereal posted:

They've also appeared in the tabletop tactics game Marvel launched a year or two ago, with a roster at present of Blade, Black Cat, Doctor Strange, Doctor Voodoo, Ghost Rider, Iron Fist, Wong, and Moon Knight.

I like that Wong is just like "Super hero identity? Moniker? gently caress it, I'ma just punch these fuckers as myself, so everyone can see how cool I am".

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Cythereal posted:

Hmmm that's interesting. Are there any newer comics with Moon Knight in the 'Suns? I might have to check them out.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She was even posted about on the r/curlyhair subreddit - some hope for us with thick, coarse curly hair, hehe.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Infinitum posted:

She is the Scarlet Scarab. No you should not know who this was before the show. Even Moon Knight is fairly obscure to a lot of people.

I'm wonder if the moment she picks the scarab up from Mark's body is supposed to be a reference to that as well as a way for her to track Emmet's team

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Moon Knight was good, Isaac in particular did a great job, but I felt it was lacking an episode of two to actually show Moon Knight.

I would rate the MCU shows :

1. Wandavision
2. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
3. Hawkeye
4. What If
5. Moon Knight
6. Loki.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

Moon Knight was good, Isaac in particular did a great job, but I felt it was lacking an episode of two to actually show Moon Knight.

1. Wandavision
3. Hawkeye
4. What If
5. Moon Knight
6. Loki.

I would have to say my list is the exact opposite. I have to follow up on this: do you like pickles?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Oasx posted:

1. Wandavision
3. Hawkeye
4. What If
5. Moon Knight
6. Loki.

I thought episodes 2 and 3, the ones with the most Moon Knight, were actually the weakest.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Anita Dickinme posted:

I would have to say my list is the exact opposite. I have to follow up on this: do you like pickles?

My list is pretty close, but not exactly, the opposite and I do NOT like pickles. Hope this data point helps your upcoming PhD thesis on the subject.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I would enjoy a potential Doctor Strange / Moon Knight / Blade / Ghost Rider team up in the future if such a thing would happen.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bleck posted:

Jared Leto always looks as though he's just been told he's under arrest for suspicion of murder.

That's because he's always at risk of being told he's under arrest for suspicion of child molestation.

https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1509264391488876546

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Anita Dickinme posted:

Hate Pickles

1. Loki.
2. Moon Knight
3. Hawkeye
4. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
5. Wandavision
6. What If

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Love pickes.

1) Morbius
2) Morbius
3) Morbuis
4) Morbuis
5) Morbuis
6) Morbuis

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Pickles are great and my list goes: 1. Hawkeye, 2. WandaVision, 3. Loki, 4. Moon Knight, 5. Falcon & Winter Soldier, 6. What If. This list ended up being very different than what I hoped going into all of these shows. What If was a huge disappointment for me. Moon Knight would’ve been higher if they had leaned into “what is reality?” earlier in the show but episodes 2-3 and most of 4 were a whole lot of nothing for me.

I’m still surprised how much I ended up liking Hawkeye. It might be my fondness for Christmastime or Hailey Stanfield and Florence Pugh knocking it out of the park, but it’s the only one of the shows so far that I’ve considered rewatching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Pickles own.

1. Loki
2. Wandavision
3. Moon Knight
4. Hawkeye
5. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
6. What If?

3 & 4 are pretty much interchangeable, but the rankings are otherwise very clear to me