Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
So this scoreboard operator in Colorado is having a rough time of it.

https://deadspin.com/the-rockies-scoreboard-operator-is-going-through-some-1848881429

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Big-legged woman ain't got no soul.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cyrano4747 posted:

SNL hasn't been that good in a long time

Oh god, shut the gently caress up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGjxX4gvaqk

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ok, I stand corrected.

It's always been extremely uneven and 75% of the sketches have been unfunny garbage since the Belushi days.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm watching the latest season of SNL and occasionally I go "heh" or do that laugh where you exhale a little through your nose. I was confused by T Paine's music, it made me feel confused and old. Oscar Isaac was a pretty good host though. Lizzo was probably the best host and best musical guest. The bit where Rami Malek played Pete Davidson and Pete Davidson played Rami Malek was amusing.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
SNL is funny when you were in your early teens and the era that overlaps it will forever be "yours."

For me it will be early 90's cast.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

In 2040, aging zoomers insist pete davidson is the only human to have ever told a joke

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SNL is and was a thing where it "used to be so much better" because, over time, we weed out the sketches that were weak, see an episode edited down to an hour or just watch the good skits on YouTube. The show has always been right around 50/50 even in the "classic" eras. A few seasons have been absolute poo poo all the way through, agreed, but hardly any episodes loving crush it the whole 90 minutes.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

When was SNL best? What's your favourite sketch? When was it worse? What a the worst sketch? Use as many words as you need to answer.

Here's a picture:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I've said it before in this very thread and I'll say it again-- it's just endemic to the taped sketch comedy format. Every single sketch show-- yes including the one you personally feel is absolutely unassailable like Mr. Show or UCB or Monty Python or Kids in the Hall or SCTV or WKUK or In Living Color or Fry and Laurie or Mitchell and Webb and so on-- are always wildly, wildly uneven and you only ever remember the handful of genuine hits they get.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

mind the walrus posted:

I've said it before in this very thread and I'll say it again-- it's just endemic to the taped sketch comedy format. Every single sketch show-- yes including the one you personally feel is absolutely unassailable like Mr. Show or UCB or Monty Python or Kids in the Hall or SCTV or WKUK or In Living Color or Fry and Laurie or Mitchell and Webb and so on-- are always wildly, wildly uneven and you only ever remember the handful of genuine hits they get.

The American businessmen sketches in Fry and Laurie were funny for about half of the first one and then holy poo poo were they just terrible and unending.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Kids in the hall is probably the most consistently funny sketch show I think. They get pretty weird occasionally but it's really good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

https://twitter.com/ClubPhotos_/status/1520841544122699782
https://twitter.com/ClubPhotos_/status/1519028603664613380
https://twitter.com/ClubPhotos_/status/1517950316066578432

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Kids in the hall is probably the most consistently funny sketch show I think. They get pretty weird occasionally but it's really good.
You're probably right in the most objective sense of "this was the performer's intended tone" versus "this is the tone they executed" but yeah if you're not already down with their "Canadian dork boy" style you're not gonna suddenly get with it just because they're consistent. Same goes for other very consistently-styled sketch shows like Mr. Show, Key and Peele, and Mitchell and Webb.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

SNL is and was a thing where it "used to be so much better" because, over time, we weed out the sketches that were weak, see an episode edited down to an hour or just watch the good skits on YouTube. The show has always been right around 50/50 even in the "classic" eras. A few seasons have been absolute poo poo all the way through, agreed, but hardly any episodes loving crush it the whole 90 minutes.

It's the classic rock station effect. Like of course the station cycling through the best songs of a 20 year period is going to average better and have more variety than the top 40 station. It's not music going downhill since you were young, they just have a much deeper pool to draw from. Every era was full of forgettable poo poo that got overplayed like crazy.

Related, a classic (kinda NSFW for barely censored boobs):

:nws:https://i.imgur.com/uyZnvEE.jpg:nws:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Killer robot posted:

A few of those are absolutely strip-able. Just need a solid beat for that.

edit: well, "just" - obviously they're not going to be GOOD. But The Lion Sleeps Tonight is going to be way easier to pull off than Number 9.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
No I mean the original he's lip synching over

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Everybody shut up about SNL until you've watched this 13 hour video and then you'll understand comedy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mind the walrus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMvsGp3FjU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Killer robot posted:

It's the classic rock station effect. Like of course the station cycling through the best songs of a 20 year period is going to average better and have more variety than the top 40 station. It's not music going downhill since you were young, they just have a much deeper pool to draw from. Every era was full of forgettable poo poo that got overplayed like crazy.

Needs Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BiggerBoat posted:

Then explain how the Farley/Sandler/Neelon/Hartman years were infinitely funnier than the Kattan/Somebody years when the internet couldn't even reliably handle jpgs

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Anime Liker posted:

Then explain how the Farley/Sandler/Neelon/Hartman years were infinitely funnier than the Kattan/Somebody years when the internet couldn't even reliably handle jpgs

They genuinely weren't, you just mapped to their style a lot better and their best hits are generally better than the best hits of the Ferrell/Kattan/Fallon years. Hartman, Norm, Nealon, even Meyers, etc. also loaned the show a lot more "Dad" energy that tempered out the gross NYC party-bro angle of the likes of Farley, Sandler, etc. The Ferrell years didn't really have those kinds of elder members to smooth out the vibe.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

A higher hit to miss ratio but nothing really approaching can't miss television. Some casts and seasons were definitely better than others but even at its best it was like 70/30 tops. There was a lot of poo poo people didn't like when that cast was hot but it was much better than what came before. At its best, the show gives you a solid hour.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaMvsGp3FjU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

ultrafilter posted:

Needs Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Ha, I shared this with a couple of friends last night, and I laughed so hard I immediately bought the book ("Liartown") for both of them. Such a good book.

{timg} for the side-boob.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Now I kinda want to watch a strip to Everything is beautiful with the stripper going all out to give the lie to the titular sentiment.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Karate Bastard posted:

Now I kinda want to watch a strip to Everything is beautiful with the stripper going all out to give the lie to the titular sentiment.

Everything is beautiful, in its own waaaayyy.

*does the splits during routine, ripsaw queef on the way down*

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

mind the walrus posted:

You're probably right in the most objective sense of "this was the performer's intended tone" versus "this is the tone they executed" but yeah if you're not already down with their "Canadian dork boy" style you're not gonna suddenly get with it just because they're consistent. Same goes for other very consistently-styled sketch shows like Mr. Show, Key and Peele, and Mitchell and Webb.

Yeah it's really about personal preference. I think Key and Peele is funnier overall but not quite as consistent.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
You guys are telling me that the show where 100% of the sketches are written 4 days before air doesn't produce the smartest, funniest comedy possible?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mind the walrus posted:

if you're not already down with their "Canadian dork boy" style you're not gonna suddenly get with it just because they're consistent.

I agree that if you don't like them you won't like them, but I'm rewatching the entire KitH run in advance of their new season and there's pretty much no filler in there, unlike SNL which is almost guaranteed to be mostly filler based on how it's written.

meanwhile KitH has aged better than Mr Show, if only because no cast members have tried to overthrow the federal government*.

*in the US, anyway

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I'm a sucker for stunt casting but god I wish this were real

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/NoahAlzayer/status/1521895976402837504?s=20&t=yBkSnGWhlT17jHHAk1iabg

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Empty Sandwich posted:

I agree that if you don't like them you won't like them, but I'm rewatching the entire KitH run in advance of their new season and there's pretty much no filler in there, unlike SNL which is almost guaranteed to be mostly filler based on how it's written.
Tho there is a lot of meh and cheese and crackers some of it did not age well

Some real gems tho

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah pretty much any of the skits with the f-slur are pretty rough, and in general I think a lot of the repeated character ones are weak. I really like Scott's Queen Elizabeth though.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
KitH always good for advice on dealing with a gazebo but this one has resonated with my life.

Is there a sketch comedy thread in PYF?

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

I loved the ol UCB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9aM_dT5VMI

Rasmus
Jul 13, 2016

I wish I was brian Blessed

It looks like he is smoking a vomit cigar.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

My wife loves quoting Amy Phoeler in UCB whenever she brandishes a knife:

"I ain't a lady. I got a knife."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah pretty much any of the skits with the f-slur are pretty rough, and in general I think a lot of the repeated character ones are weak. I really like Scott's Queen Elizabeth though.
Oh don't forget the black/brown/assorted-non-pasty-canadian-face

😬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Rasmus posted:

It looks like he is smoking a vomit cigar.
Is there anything other kind?