Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Serperoth posted:

I'm shopping around for a phone, and I'm not sure how to parse the years for updates between the A52s and A53.

Both will be getting 4 Android updates apparently, with the A52s having gotten 1 of those already (from 11 to 12), so presumably the A52s will go up to Android 14, but the A53 will go up to the next one, 15, is that right? My gut says that's about right, but cause the A52s is a refresh, I'm kinda wondering if there's a catch and the A53 will go up to 16, which is a bit more of a distance

I'd be hard pressed to not just do the A53 if you are a "keep a phone for a long time" person, in addition to the 4 years of Android updates the A53 will get a 5th year of security updates. That policy was not applied back to the A52s from my understanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

I'd be hard pressed to not just do the A53 if you are a "keep a phone for a long time" person, in addition to the 4 years of Android updates the A53 will get a 5th year of security updates. That policy was not applied back to the A52s from my understanding.

I bought my current Redmi Note 5 in the summer of 2018, and the biggest reason I'm changing is cause the battery is shot (and wouldn't mind some goodies like a better camera etc), rather than some kind of desperate need, so the plan is to keep it for a good few years yeah. I'd prefer a headphone jack, but I'm using BT headphones anyway so it's not something I need...

Neither of them has wireless charging anyway, and apparently Exynos processors aren't as not-recommended as they were a few years back, so it's a really even comparison tbh. I'm looking for ways to not get messed over by a gotcha, plus of course price

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This month's security update has returned the vibrate function to full power on the Pixel 6 and 6 Pro.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Something recently got buggered in Gboard that’s driving me nuts.

The touch target for the space bar extends down into the navigation area if you don’t have key borders on. Because of this, I kept hitting space going back to home or multitasking after finishing up a message. Then I would go back into my messaging app and have a ton of “Draft” messages.

This happens on my Pixel 6 pro and Pixel 5, but not any of the Galaxy devices.

It seems to be somewhat less of an issue if you have the key borders turned on, but it’s still very sensitive and will trigger the space bar if you are even remotely close to it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Something recently got buggered in Gboard that’s driving me nuts.
my coworker complained about this exact thing today with his 6 pro. it doesn't happen to me, so we compared settings. i had a different keyboard height. he changed his and the problem went away. he changed it back and it's still working so give that a try

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Man, Oppo sure knows how to make you feel special for ordering a phone. On top of an 80w charger and good case in the box you get all this

That's a 50w wireless charger, another kevlar case, wireless earbuds and a smartwatch for free.

Samsung and Apple are shameful by comparison.

Xbox branding is odd though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The earbuds beat the poo poo out of the galaxy buds pro and anything else I've used. Edit: have a fatal flaw though, no ability to tap to pause?!

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 5, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
oppo nexus watch lol

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The earbuds beat the poo poo out of the galaxy buds pro and anything else I've used. Edit: have a fatal flaw though, no ability to tap to pause?!

It looks like you can change the tap features through the app or possibly straight from Bluetooth settings.

How's the noise cancellation and the passthrough?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It looks like you can change the tap features through the app or possibly straight from Bluetooth settings.

How's the noise cancellation and the passthrough?

Yeah finally found that, but oddly you can't program single tap to do anything. I've got double tap pausing now but triple tap can't be next track/video. Luckily I only watch YouTubes really.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah finally found that, but oddly you can't program single tap to do anything. I've got double tap pausing now but triple tap can't be next track/video. Luckily I only watch YouTubes really.

You can set the left one to be Next while the right one is Pause. How often are you really going backwards.

Sometimes I wish the Galaxy Buds were double/triple tap. I can't seem to get them out of my ears without resuming my music.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can set the left one to be Next while the right one is Pause. How often are you really going backwards.

Sometimes I wish the Galaxy Buds were double/triple tap. I can't seem to get them out of my ears without resuming my music.

I usually only wear the right side so when people bust into my office I can pretend I hear them.

But yeah I like having double tap minimum, just odd that triple tap has different function options.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to have to switch back to the Pixel 5 for a bit. Nothing is actually broken about the P6P, rather it is me who's broken.

Broke my right elbow a week ago and after a full week of using my phone in my left hand, the weight of the P6P has gotten to be a bit too much for my left wrist and I need to use a lighter device for relief. That extra 2.1oz on top of the leverage involved in a taller device kind of makes a huge difference.

This is a genuine question I have more so than a complaint but are there no ersatz bespoke Android phone-makers that make "niche" phones like ones that are 4.2"-4.7" in size?

I know Sony C series used to make those but even their compact phones now are over 5", and they're so crippled that they don't even have fingerprint readers for their US releases.

Unihertz makes smallish phones but they are meant for construction workers and are more about durability and also do not have things like fingerprint readers. They make physical keyboard phones, 2" phones, phones you can take deep sea diving, but no 4-4.7" phones similar in size to the iPhone 5 which was one of the most popular phones of all time.

I'm really surprised to see 8 million different Android handheld games consoles on eBay but zero "IPhone Mini" sized ones. I mean there has to be a market for that, right? Maybe not a huge one but surely a bigger market than yet another Android NES emulator would be?

Is it just a thing now where cell companies are super restrictive on what connects to their network so there's literally no incentive for anyone to make these? Is that a thing really? It seems like it has been a lot more recently so I thought maybe that had something to do with it? I was under the impression that if you bought a phone as long as it had the radios it could connect to the network but I guess that's not a thing any more and might be affecting these one off phones?

A big attraction to Android is the openness of the OS and the idea that there'd be a tons of hardware to choose from but ironically enough there's nothing like the iPhone Mini on Android. However I hate iOS (slightly) more than I hate phones where you can't reach the top left of the screen. It's like a really lame Twilight Zone episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pretty soon there's not going to even be an iPhone Mini sized iPhone.

Small phones don't sell.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Small phones don't sell.

I don't really think that's the case. Each of the SE models have been relatively small devices, with smaller screen sizes than the Mini ones.

There were rumors that 12 Mini was going to be axed after poor sales but Apple still sells them, and then the obvious release of the 13 Mini just 7 months ago. I doubt we'll see the end of them, even from Android manufacturers.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

bull3964 posted:

Small phones don't sell.

They don't but I can't imagine they're so unpopular that companies making keyboard phones don't even see a market.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

cage-free egghead posted:

I don't really think that's the case. Each of the SE models have been relatively small devices, with smaller screen sizes than the Mini ones.

There were rumors that 12 Mini was going to be axed after poor sales but Apple still sells them, and then the obvious release of the 13 Mini just 7 months ago. I doubt we'll see the end of them, even from Android manufacturers.

I think the SEs are big sellers because they are affordable, not because of the screen size.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

couldcareless posted:

I think the SEs are big sellers because they are affordable, not because of the screen size.

Yeah, iPhone XR was the best selling model of it's generation, despite being bigger than the base model, probably because it was the cheapest

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They cut the iPhone SE 3 production 20% due to sales issues already and it’s barely been out for 2 months.

There have been extensive leaks of the iPhone 14 including front glass and the mini has been missing from everything. They might keep the iPhone 13 mini around and not introduce a 14, but it’s unclear if if Apple is going to continue selling the 13 at all due to what’s been rumored about the iPhone 14 (non-pro models sticking with the A15, essentially making them an iPhone 13 with a new name.)

S22 is as small as we are going to get with modern android device and even that is showing issues being that small (too small a battery.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Blooster posted:

They don't but I can't imagine they're so unpopular that companies making keyboard phones don't even see a market.

But that’s the thing.

You are looking at it simply as “unihertz sees a market large enough for a keyboard phone but not small normal phone.”

But in reality it is “Unihertz sees a larger market for a Unihertz Keyboard phone than a Unihertz small but normal phone.”

That’s the rub. More people may buy an S22 Mini than whatever abomination unihertz is coming up with, but that’s because it has a samsung name beside it. You would only get a fraction of that market, probably less than the keyboard people, to buy a “normal but small phone” from a maker like unihertz.

So, the sales are too small for Samsung to bother with and a no-name manufacturer would only capture a fraction of those sales.

This is why having like 3 big smartphone makers is bad. You only get the really mainstream stuff from them and the small no-name manufacturers can only get sales with the REALLY niche stuff.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

I'm honestly kind of shocked. I can't believe an iPhone 5 sized Android phone with a nice thick battery wouldn't sell at least better than whatever random crap Hueue or whoever is trying to throw at the wall. They'd be the only ones making it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It won’t show up in the carrier stores and therefore it won’t sell and might as well not exist. That’s the reality of the US phone market.

An iphone 5 sized Android device would need to be twice as thick (if not more so) to have a battery that wouldn’t die before lunch. Seriously, the iPhone 5 has a 1440mAh cell. You would also be giving it a lower end SoC due to thermal concerns because no way you could cool it in a chassis that small.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 6, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

couldcareless posted:

And the reason the screen is small is because they're reusing old iPhone 8 tooling, as future generations of SE work their way up to using newer iPhone tooling they'll probably get bigger

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Is there a way to transfer stuff from my existing Google account to my phone, but not the account itself? I have a bunch of game data, contacts, etc on my current phone, but I don't want to bring in all of the junk along with it, just some, and a not-used-with-phones account.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Blooster posted:

This is a genuine question I have more so than a complaint but are there no ersatz bespoke Android phone-makers that make "niche" phones like ones that are 4.2"-4.7" in size?

I know Sony C series used to make those but even their compact phones now are over 5", and they're so crippled that they don't even have fingerprint readers for their US releases.

Unihertz makes smallish phones but they are meant for construction workers and are more about durability and also do not have things like fingerprint readers. They make physical keyboard phones, 2" phones, phones you can take deep sea diving, but no 4-4.7" phones similar in size to the iPhone 5 which was one of the most popular phones of all time.

I'm really surprised to see 8 million different Android handheld games consoles on eBay but zero "IPhone Mini" sized ones. I mean there has to be a market for that, right? Maybe not a huge one but surely a bigger market than yet another Android NES emulator would be?

Is it just a thing now where cell companies are super restrictive on what connects to their network so there's literally no incentive for anyone to make these? Is that a thing really? It seems like it has been a lot more recently so I thought maybe that had something to do with it? I was under the impression that if you bought a phone as long as it had the radios it could connect to the network but I guess that's not a thing any more and might be affecting these one off phones?

A big attraction to Android is the openness of the OS and the idea that there'd be a tons of hardware to choose from but ironically enough there's nothing like the iPhone Mini on Android. However I hate iOS (slightly) more than I hate phones where you can't reach the top left of the screen. It's like a really lame Twilight Zone episode.

All the lovely little game consoles don’t have to pay cellular modem licensing fees. I’d guess that’s a big chunk of the reasoning right there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What's the go-to case for adding more grip to slippery phones, without much bulk? Spigen Thin Fit?

Figuring out what I want to get ahead of the Pixel 6a probably launching next week

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Watching the Amazon series Outer Range and spotted this gem:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

repiv posted:

What's the go-to case for adding more grip to slippery phones, without much bulk? Spigen Thin Fit?

Figuring out what I want to get ahead of the Pixel 6a probably launching next week

I got one of those for my second Pixel 4a after my first one slipped out of my hand and broke badly. Never had slip problems with the case. I don't trust it much for drop resistance, but I like how all the buttons are uncovered and I hardly tell that it's on my phone (I can slightly feel it at the edges of the screen).

I also got the Tough Armor as a case to use at work, but I ended up giving it to my mom. Little thicker but not insane, better protection, has a kickstand, which could be useful.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tremors posted:

Watching the Amazon series Outer Range and spotted this gem:

of course that guy would have that case on that phone

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

repiv posted:

I have the Spigen Liquid Air on my Pixel 6 and have been very happy with it.

https://www.spigen.com/products/pixel-6-case-liquid-air

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

FogHelmut posted:

Google Fi support gave me these instructions, which did work:

Turn on Airplane mode with WiFi on.
Open the Messages app.
Tap More >> Settings >> Advanced Settings >> Google Fi settings.
If sync is turned on, tap Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
If sync isn't turned on, tap Sync texts, calls & voicemails across screens >> select Google Fi account >> Sync conversations (do not have to wait to complete the sync) >> Stop sync & sign out >> Stop syncing >> select to keep or delete messages.
Tap More >> Settings >> Blocked Numbers. Make sure the Google short codes 224444, 244444, or 256447 aren’t blocked.
Open the Settings app.
Tap Apps. If you don't see all your apps, first tap See all apps or App info.
Tap the Messages app >> Force stop >> Ok >> Storage & cache >> Clear storage.
Open the Phone app.
Turn off Airplane mode.
Open the Messages app.

Google's poo poo is so janky.

I have no idea if you have fixed this yet or not, but google's RCS has an undocumented temporary blacklist, and if Google thinks your carrier is one and you have one and keep trying to verify before it updates it normally blacklists it.
When I switched from Fi to T-mobile it took me like 2 weeks before I could re-use RCS. My spouse didn't have that issue as they had disabled it before porting out though.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have the Spigen Liquid Air on my Pixel 6 and have been very happy with it.

https://www.spigen.com/products/pixel-6-case-liquid-air

I have their transparent one and have dropped my phone so many times without damage. Have used spigen all the way from pixel 2 with pixels and iphones.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Celexi posted:

I have no idea if you have fixed this yet or not, but google's RCS has an undocumented temporary blacklist, and if Google thinks your carrier is one and you have one and keep trying to verify before it updates it normally blacklists it.
When I switched from Fi to T-mobile it took me like 2 weeks before I could re-use RCS. My spouse didn't have that issue as they had disabled it before porting out though.

Those instructions did fix it, I'm on Google Fi.

repiv posted:

The thin fit is great, I only stopped using it because it only comes in black.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Is there a touch training setting somewhere in android 12? I got a P6P about a month ago, and I have a clubbed thumb on my left hand. It's always miskeying on the keyboard, and bonking around different application things I don't want it to when I try to touch it with that thumb.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

repiv posted:

From what I've seen it's slim pickings as far as thin cases go, the STF is my go to because of this even tho I'd describe more as sticky rather than grippy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Just for a bit of a contribution.

Bought a Pixel 6 after coming from Moto Gs of several incarnations just before Easter.

Took a bit to get used to the gestures (and still figuring them out) but I am happy with the move. Phone is *much* faster, as in, I didn't realize how slow my old G-play was until I tried the same stuff on this.

I like the camera quality but still have to figure it out. Display is miles better. I am ashamed to admit it took me longer to figure out how to turn it off than it should have.

Fingreprint reader has been fine.

All in all, worth it for sure. For me at least.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, though I hear you can change it back to three button navigation instead of gestures. I hope that's always an option, the sometimes lack of options and making a new thingy the only default option is a peeve of mine with android.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I got my pixel 6 today. Seems pretty good so far, I even quite like how big it is. Bit of a shame that the gesture options are either the swipe from the side to go back setup or the 3 buttons. I didn't realise the 3 button swipe up style was Samsung only (or has since been removed as an option on pixels), I got quite used to that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Heavy Metal posted:

Right on, though I hear you can change it back to three button navigation instead of gestures. I hope that's always an option, the sometimes lack of options and making a new thingy the only default option is a peeve of mine with android.

I doubt they will remove the old navigation option as it seems necessary for people who have physical issues and can't swipe well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

my pixel 5 always on display just doesn't work anymore since last week. haven't done poo poo to the phone whatsoever. i'm sure something is making the ambient light sensor think it's in my pocket or something i don't loving know. this phone is so frustrating but i also literally can't see myself with anything else because all other phones also suck in worse ways.

i might wind up just getting an s22 but i really don't want ads on default apps and copies of every basic app like maps, email, and browser.

will probably take my pixel 5 to a repair shop to fix my cracked screen and see if that will inadvertently fix any sensor/light issues.