Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This has been the MCU’s thing since the avengers lol

I know that the movies are a never ending line of sequels but TV shows being a necessary part of that is new (and dumb). Or maybe not, I've mostly tuned out from the MCU since Avengers 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Loki set up a lot of what’s coming next too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Agents of Shield was vital to Avengers 2!!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I can't wait to watch this in 3 months or 6 or whenever its on Disney plus

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I forget, did the Loki show deal with some specific interpretation of multiverses? Because if it's supposed to be the same concept as Strange 2 (and No Way Home) deals with then the whole thing doesn't make a lick of sense.

Which is pretty on par with the comics so good adaptation I suppose.

Laughing Zealot fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 5, 2022

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I’m sorry have y’all never read comics before? It’s exceedingly rare you can pick up any comic and know exactly what’s going on without reading (sometimes) years of backlog to be caught up. Usually though, they do a p decent job of catching you up to speed enough to know what’s going on.

It’s AUTHENTIC.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

.Oops, meant to edit, not quote.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Laughing Zealot posted:

I forget, did the Loki show deal with some specific interpretation of multiverses? Because if it's supposed to be the same concept as Strange 2 (and No Way Home) deals with then the whole thing doesn't make a lick of sense.

I *think* that the events of Loki is what created this 'accessible' multiverse but as you probably noticed, MoM (and NWH, and What If...? before it) don't directly reference it at all.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sandwolf posted:

I’m sorry have y’all never read comics before? It’s exceedingly rare you can pick up any comic and know exactly what’s going on without reading (sometimes) years of backlog to be caught up. Usually though, they do a p decent job of catching you up to speed enough to know what’s going on.

It’s AUTHENTIC.

We are almost at the point where they should include the helpful editorial boxes that tell you which issue this or that event referenced. Maybe flash the respective title cards in the bottom right corner of the screen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

Iirc, in loki there isn't a multiverse because the villain controls time to make sure every decision happens exactly according to his plan so theres no branching, when loki puts a stop to it the multiverse explodes open across all time and space or some poo poo. Something like that

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

This is probably the best way to handle all the multiverse theory nonsense.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9byPyKh2rE

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

I went with my wife and our kid. I watched Wandavision with my kid, my wife didn't. She had no problems following the movie.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I remember when Infinity War came out everyone was raving about it so we went to go see it without having seen most of the stuff that came out after the original Avengers movie and we were so bored and lost that we walked out halfway through.

My bad I guess, I mean I suppose it’s a bit like if I went to go see Harry Potter 7 Part 2 without seeing most of the previous movies. Except here there’s way more of it.

I recently showed someone No Way Home since I knew they’d get a kick out of all the previous spidey movies and actors being mixed into a single story, but even then I had to brief them with some bare minimum setup “okay so this Spider-Man exists with all the other super heroes and he was in the avengers and stuff, and now the whole world knows his identity and he’s framed for killing the last movie’s bad guy”. That doesn’t even cover poo poo like who Dr Strange is or why Spider-Man has these fancy nano suits.

It really is a bit exhausting having to play keep up on the odd chance I want to see a future marvel movie.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

man nurse posted:

I remember when Infinity War came out everyone was raving about it so we went to go see it without having seen most of the stuff that came out after the original Avengers movie and we were so bored and lost that we walked out halfway through.

My bad I guess, I mean I suppose it’s a bit like if I went to go see Harry Potter 7 Part 2 without seeing most of the previous movies. Except here there’s way more of it.

I recently showed someone No Way Home since I knew they’d get a kick out of all the previous spidey movies and actors being mixed into a single story, but even then I had to brief them with some bare minimum setup “okay so this Spider-Man exists with all the other super heroes and he was in the avengers and stuff, and now the whole world knows his identity and he’s framed for killing the last movie’s bad guy”. That doesn’t even cover poo poo like who Dr Strange is or why Spider-Man has these fancy nano suits.

It really is a bit exhausting having to play keep up on the odd chance I want to see a future marvel movie.

Sounds like your fault for not subscribing to Disney Plus

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Any other director I’d agree with you

But it is not any other director 😈

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Iirc, in loki there isn't a multiverse because the villain controls time to make sure every decision happens exactly according to his plan so theres no branching, when loki puts a stop to it the multiverse explodes open across all time and space or some poo poo. Something like that
There is a multiverse, it was just a pruned one. Basically all timelines have to more or less resemble one another in the main beats. The implication of the show is that the Avengers don't get in trouble for messing with the timeline because they're the good guys who are supposed to win. But Loki gets in trouble for undoing the ending of Avengers (2012) because he's Loki and he's supposed to lose.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Thanks I thought I was missing something

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

MacheteZombie posted:

Thanks I thought I was missing something
It honestly wasn't that clear in the show.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

It honestly wasn't that clear in the show.

there was, like, an entire animated sequence with a tree/branch metaphor.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Any other director I’d agree with you

But it is not any other director 😈

I'll probably end up seeing it, just like Tony Leung got me to see Shang Chi. Hopefully Sam Raimi does at least as good a job as Leung did.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So, in the comics there are two types of alternate universes: the kinds that just exist independently from the "main" one due to the infinite number of possibilities that can exist within a multiverse, and the ones that branch off from the "main" one after someone travels through time. Endgame and Loki primarily focused on the latter, whereas What If, No Way Home, and (I assume, having not seen it yet) MoM focused on the former. Thing is, the distinction quickly becomes meaningless beyond being able pin-point an "origin" of any alternate reality. In the comics, even dark timelines that have been "fixed" tend to linger as new alternate universe, mainly so that writers can revisit the setting or bring back character variants.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Alternate timelines and multiple universes. A universe can have alternate timelines.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
*Austin Powers looking at the audience vibes* try not to think about it too much. That goes for you, too.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I am a Scarlet Witch stan for a bunch of emotionally complicated reasons and I love the MCU version and I Am so excited for Dr. Strange I am pretty much vibrating out of my skin. I am posting with averted eyes so I do not encounter a single spoiler from this thread but also delurking because I tried on an outfit I obtained almost a year ago and will be finally wearing out for the first time and I am so happy and I have no social media but just really want to share it to try to shake off some of this really over the top superhero movie anticipation. This has been a very difficult waiting period for me, I have actively avoided all trailers and promo material because there is no need for hype materials I am already so hype, my expectations are very low but my hype is very high.

Yes I know it's not actually a Scarlet Witch movie and also it's Scarlet Witch so terrible things are sure to happen to her but it's here, it's finally happening :supaburn:

Spoilers (no pun intended) for photos of me for the folks who don't care/want to see (very reasonable).

i'm so excited

Wow, that's a fantastic costume! I hope you enjoyed the movie.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Like 50% of that movie was Evil Dead riffs lmao

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Dietrich posted:

there was, like, an entire animated sequence with a tree/branch metaphor.
I think I just saw a lot of people confused with the whole idea that there are alternate dimensions, but just limited in what can happen in them as opposed to one singular one with all other ones being destroyed.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Of all the Sam Raimi marvel movies, this is the Sam Raimiest

Spoiler chat:

Scarlet Witch is this movie's MVP like goddamn. She does more magic than the other magicians. Though, I do feel her end was kinda lame and obvious

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
No spoilers, but random Doctor Strange observations:

- The remix of the X-Men animated show theme and timing was amazing.

- That was a lot gorier and jump scare-y than I was expecting.

- This may be the first child actor in the MCU that is really good.

- There is a scene near the end that has some really cool audio effects - if you see it in Imax it is incredible. The music flows around the theater and I haven't seen it done that way before.

- The scenes that Raimi insisted he shoot the movie in 3D for are very obvious. I didn't see it in 3D, but it is basically like Amazing Spider-Man 2 in how obviously "this is for a cool 3D effect!" the shots were and different from the rest of the movie. It kind of took me out of it for a second because of how noticeable it was.

- The promo scenes they released were either 50% lies or they did a lot of editing afterwards. They faked a lot of it and the briefcase man appearing twice in the promo scene isn't in the final movie, so they either edited the final version really fast, those promos were purposefully edited with fake footage and they accidentally looped him in, or the promo footage is from an old cut of the film. Weird to release it right before the movie is out and have it be totally different.

- Raimi throws so many references to himself and his other movies in there, it almost felt like a fan tribute.

- Definitely a top tier MCU movie, but I wouldn't say top 3 for me.

- Using Xavier as such a prominent feature in the advertising/basically being a misdirect for the other characters is some combination of ballsy/cheap/trolling/hilarious, but I'm not sure what percent of each it is.

- The multiverse jokes/animated/paint versions of everyone were great, but they flew past.

- Rachel McAdams, Patrick Stewert, and Bruce Campbell are really starting to show their age a little. :(

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 5, 2022

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Necrothatcher posted:

Like 50% of that movie was Evil Dead riffs lmao

drat guys the earliest I can see this is Sunday evening, y'all are killing me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

No spoilers my rear end, lmao. I already knew them, but tag your poo poo for others.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Someone fire up a strange thread and take this chat there. Thanks

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

teagone posted:

No spoilers my rear end, lmao. I already knew them, but tag your poo poo for others.

What is a spoiler? The only specific stuff mentioned is from trailers/promo scenes they released already. I'll spoil them to be safe, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What is a spoiler? The only specific stuff mentioned is from trailers/promo scenes they released already. I'll spoil them to be safe, though.

The last one is a bit spoilery since it names a couple cameos I believe but I dunno I haven't watched much stuff for strange 2 stranger things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
saw it totally blind. heckin loved it. bit of a slow start but the last 45 minutes especially are Sam Raimi as all get-out

Lady Cap fuckin owned, i wanted her to come back to be the new Cap Prime

scarlet witch owned, when she started killing supes i was just like :hmmyes:

seeing xavier was fun i guess but it was a bit of a tease not showing ANY other x-persons

and non-spoiler thought: this is seriously the laziest Danny Elfman score. there's a few great moments for sure but there's a lot of stuff that's total meat and potatoes, bland movie score

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Rachel McAdams, Patrick Stewert, and Bruce Campbell are really starting to show their age a little. :(

Stewart is pushing 90 and Campbell is getting up there in years but McAdams... :confused:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Laughing Zealot posted:

Stewart is pushing 90 and Campbell is getting up there in years but McAdams... :confused:

Rachel McAdams will always be her character from Mean Girls for me and it makes me feel old that it was 20 years ago.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lastdancer posted:

Alternate timelines and multiple universes. A universe can have alternate timelines.

Why would it be both? If changed causality or some quantum probabilistic difference explain why different universes are different in the metaphysics of these stories, why would "a different universe" be conceptually separate from "an alternate timeline"? Why introduce the causality bit at all if "a parallel universe" is different just because, for some more esoteric reason?

What happened is that Marvel wanted to put the Spider-Mans into a movie and they didn't care what sci-fi conceit they needed to justify it. How did the Maguire-verse or Garfield-verse exist with respect to the TVA? Don't worry about it, it's fine, enjoy the Spider-Mans. None of it matters.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Xealot posted:

Why would it be both? If changed causality or some quantum probabilistic difference explain why different universes are different in the metaphysics of these stories, why would "a different universe" be conceptually separate from "an alternate timeline"? Why introduce the causality bit at all if "a parallel universe" is different just because, for some more esoteric reason?

What happened is that Marvel wanted to put the Spider-Mans into a movie and they didn't care what sci-fi conceit they needed to justify it. How did the Maguire-verse or Garfield-verse exist with respect to the TVA? Don't worry about it, it's fine, enjoy the Spider-Mans. None of it matters.

Yeah it's not really super necessary to understand it all right now; I was just clarifying the difference since Loki is all about alternate/parallel timelines versus an entirely different universe. As a visual reference think flowers in a garden where each flower is a universe and the leaves are the branching timelines of that universe-- that sort of thing. I'm sure they'll find a way to explain it properly to the audience with minimal confusion.

edit: I did see MoM today and I thought it was pretty good but felt like there wasn't enough multiversal travel after the one big scene. There is definitely Raimi all over this thing. Scarlet Witch is a boss; she's been done dirty her whole life and there was definitely a feeling of catharsis there for her at the center of the film where she just tears everything apart and of course what she's doing is wrong but I couldn't help but root for her at times. There was too much focus on Dr. Strange in this. I want to see more America Chavez in the MCU.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Sandwolf posted:

It’s AUTHENTIC.

If the comic is well drawn/written you can usually jump in anywhere and figure out what's going on ime