Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

moist turtleneck posted:

Alan Tudyk should step in as Hamlin's alien brother

This would totally explain what happened to Kim in Breaking Bad: Hamlin took Kim back to his home planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the time taken up by gratuitous compliments on the insider podcast is always grossly exaggerated on here. it's a perfectly fine listen and probably has a cumulative 30 seconds of unvarnished positivity per episode. i suppose that may be too much for a certain type of goon

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Did anyone else think Howard's therapist looked a lot like Chuck?

I think Howard's "you'd make a great litigator" line is partially an attempt to fend off his therapist's probe into his life with Cheryl, but also an expression of his projecting Chuck onto his therapist.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

the time taken up by gratuitous compliments on the insider podcast is always grossly exaggerated on here. it's a perfectly fine listen and probably has a cumulative 30 seconds of unvarnished positivity per episode. i suppose that may be too much for a certain type of goon

I'm sure it varies by episode, but I definitely had to tap out of even the last half of the BB podcasts because they just weren't talking about the dang episodes :mad:

Then I also listen to stuff like that more for the trivia and technical details, here's why we shot this this way, this was an accident but we liked it so we kept it etc.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Indeed the backslapping is just one aspect, it’s just not a well presented podcast. Podcasts have the problem in that its a bunch of people who are friends trying to have an engaging to an outsider who is not, Theres a skill in keeping people on topic and they don’t really do it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Before we move on I just gotta give a quick shout out to all the posters in this thread, they really are the best in the business and by golly I find myself bein just drat grateful to be among them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Did anyone else think Howard's therapist looked a lot like Chuck?

I think Howard's "you'd make a great litigator" line is partially an attempt to fend off his therapist's probe into his life with Cheryl, but also an expression of his projecting Chuck onto his therapist.

"You'd be a great litigator. Turn off these lights, get a space blanket, oh yeah, you'd fit the part."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You’d be a great litigator is a perfect comment to share that you’re cool and the other person should get off your back

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think ruining Howard's rep is going to go way too far.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

considering we know nothing of saul goodman for the years after 2004 i can only assume their scheme goes off without a hitch and both he and kim have thriving legal careers well into the present day

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

tbh both Kim and Mike shticks are starting to grate on me a bit in light of the poo poo they're involved in, the Diner scene where Mike gives her the fatherly reassurance and the compliment of her being made of 'sterner stuff like they're two humble straight shooters that just came upon a kindred soul.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

yeah, it's... something unforgivable

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I know Kim said something like a "minor career setback" in the season 5 finale, but I think it'll backfire, they'll be ok, maybe Kim would sacrifice her professional career to save Jimmy's, but Howard is, in one way or another, completely done for. Way farther than they originally planned.

It'd be like when Huell and Kuby went to non-violently strong arm Ted. I don't think it'll go down with Howard physically hurt or killed, but I think it'll be a 'what? He was only supposed to be dropped from the Sandpiper case.... not..... Oh god, not THIS" sort of deal.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like thinking about Mike's guys tailing Saul as he's going around getting madeover to look like Hamlin, then watching the whole temporary car theft, and just being like WTF is this guy doing?!

Takes No Damage posted:

Kim sitting on her courtroom table watching Chuck bomb his own case:

Gah, it's sad that it's so low-res. I'm firmly on record as thinking that Rhea as the Tutorial Witch is amazing, and I wish I could see it in glorious full resolution. Then again, I suppose low quality video has its own charms for something like this.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I know Kim said something like a "minor career setback" in the season 5 finale, but I think it'll backfire, they'll be ok, maybe Kim would sacrifice her professional career to save Jimmy's, but Howard is, in one way or another, completely done for. Way farther than they originally planned.

It'd be like when Huell and Kuby went to non-violently strong arm Ted. I don't think it'll go down with Howard physically hurt or killed, but I think it'll be a 'what? He was only supposed to be dropped from the Sandpiper case.... not..... Oh god, not THIS" sort of deal.

I think it will totally ruin the elder house case in some way and cost them a million dollar or two.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

I think it will totally ruin the elder house case in some way and cost them a million dollar or two.

I'm pretty sure Saul gets his million or 2.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This episode had an odd feel since, as Bob Odenkirk has noted during interviews, Jimmy has been kind of subdued so far in the season. Lost his mojo and feels like he needs a scam to get himself back. Plus we’ve spent the last few episodes dealing with Nacho and Gus stuff mainly. So it was kinda funny to see that first look of him straight back in it, face full of determination, fake tanned like a clown.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

massive spider posted:

So it was kinda funny to see that first look of him straight back in it, face full of determination, fake tanned like a clown.

and then Wendy tells him "I like your hair" and he looks so flustered and uncomfortable

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I reckon the Howard plan is going to go off pretty well and probably in a way that wouldn't utterly ruin Howard's life if he'd just let it go but I think what might happen is Howard will come to "confront" Jimmy and Kim in his typical way, very assertive, professional and such but he'll do it at the worst possible time, when Lalo has resurfaced and is also talking with Kim and Jimmy to try and pump them for info (hypothetically he might be suspicious that Gus/Mike had something to do with the desert thing now in the fullness of time or he might be trying to rope them into his anti Gus plan since he did seem to be impressed by Kim and kinda believed them).

Like Jimmy is at the door saying "Ok Howard but not right now OK" while Kim and Lalo are in his living room basically, Howard pushes past him and then we're in the part of the show where the buttoned down, corporate lawyer part collides with the cartel, bloodbath part. I dunno I can see Howard getting killed purely because he thinks Lalo is another part of the scam or whatever and mouths off to him and gets shot and it's basically Kim and Jimmy's fault that he's there at all.

Obviously all pure conjecture and might be a bit too circuitous or dark for the show, I don't think they'll do anything to Kim at this point though and Howard feels like the best potential "ah, we have really hosed up here" victim of consequence for the Jimmy side of the story.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

This episode had an odd feel since, as Bob Odenkirk has noted during interviews, Jimmy has been kind of subdued so far in the season. Lost his mojo and feels like he needs a scam to get himself back. Plus we’ve spent the last few episodes dealing with Nacho and Gus stuff mainly. So it was kinda funny to see that first look of him straight back in it, face full of determination, fake tanned like a clown.

I'm glad they know Jimmy's been a bit of a damp squib this season, because it least means it is part of the story and not something they've accidentally let happen while focusing on other things.

It's still not really working for me. I thought Bob's acting was even a bit off during the Hamlin scam because of how broadly he was playing his nervousness among everything else, and part of it is maybe the performance was out of step with his usual, but part of it was also that I just don't think Jimmy would be that invested or even go to these lengths with this. The disguise was too much for where he is right now.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

I reckon the Howard plan is going to go off pretty well and probably in a way that wouldn't utterly ruin Howard's life if he'd just let it go but I think what might happen is Howard will come to "confront" Jimmy and Kim in his typical way, very assertive, professional and such but he'll do it at the worst possible time, when Lalo has resurfaced and is also talking with Kim and Jimmy to try and pump them for info (hypothetically he might be suspicious that Gus/Mike had something to do with the desert thing now in the fullness of time or he might be trying to rope them into his anti Gus plan since he did seem to be impressed by Kim and kinda believed them).

Like Jimmy is at the door saying "Ok Howard but not right now OK" while Kim and Lalo are in his living room basically, Howard pushes past him and then we're in the part of the show where the buttoned down, corporate lawyer part collides with the cartel, bloodbath part. I dunno I can see Howard getting killed purely because he thinks Lalo is another part of the scam or whatever and mouths off to him and gets shot and it's basically Kim and Jimmy's fault that he's there at all.

Obviously all pure conjecture and might be a bit too circuitous or dark for the show, I don't think they'll do anything to Kim at this point though and Howard feels like the best potential "ah, we have really hosed up here" victim of consequence for the Jimmy side of the story.

That's an interesting possibility about Howard, but I think it might be a bridge too far for Saul and Kim, at least insofar as allowing him to stick around through BB. Howard's a little too high profile and white for there not to be too much blow back if he's killed, his disappearance alone would bring a lot of heat on them. They'd both probably leave ABQ just to get away from the fallout.

Actually, I could see it working if he was following them to a neutral spot and they could cover it up as his own shady deal gone wrong.

Both Kim and Jimmy will likely come to grips with just how far they're both willing to break bad, and I agree that a murder will likely play a big role if how they view each other and themselves. They're building Kim up as possibly having a darker side than Jimmy now, but that could all be a red herring when poo poo gets real.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
maybe kim and hamlin will both be hired by the cartels, they meant to get saul but their only photo of saul is when he was in hamlinface

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

punk rebel ecks posted:

How long will it take before it's on Netflix, judging by the other seasons?

Gaius Marius posted:

A year after at least.

It's on netflix now, in Singapore and some other Asian markets. Just finished watching season 6 ep4

Try a VPN?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
If Howard asks Lalo if he can have the room to talk with Kim and Jimmy I'm going to lose it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chadzok posted:

Before we move on I just gotta give a quick shout out to all the posters in this thread, they really are the best in the business and by golly I find myself bein just drat grateful to be among them.

It's a team effort

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

roomtone posted:

I'm glad they know Jimmy's been a bit of a damp squib this season, because it least means it is part of the story and not something they've accidentally let happen while focusing on other things.

It's still not really working for me. I thought Bob's acting was even a bit off during the Hamlin scam because of how broadly he was playing his nervousness among everything else, and part of it is maybe the performance was out of step with his usual, but part of it was also that I just don't think Jimmy would be that invested or even go to these lengths with this. The disguise was too much for where he is right now.

Eh, I can’t agree. One thing that has been made very clear is that Jimmy’s coping mechanism is repression. When something is weighing on his mind he will focus all his energy on doing anything else. Right now what’s on his mind are Lalo and the Bad Choice Road; he nearly got shot in the desert, he had to drink his own piss, he still has his sun damage tan and had a cartel boss come to his house and threaten not just him, but Kim. He can’t ignore this at work, clients are flooding in looking for the Salamanca guy, and his fellow lawyers are shunning him or begging him to rat.

He's not super stoked about the Howard scheme because it’s tangled up in a lot of older wounds, but he’s super invested in it because it’s an opportunity to not be Saul Goodman. When he’s pranking Howard he’s just being Slippin’ Jimmy, wearing costumes and pulling pratfalls, and whatever fallout that may have does not involve a cartel boss waving a gun at his wife. The more effort he puts into that, the less time he has to think about Saul Goodman’s troubles. Plus Kim obviously is into it and doing it makes her happy, that’s a win/win.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I’m here for the ‘Howard and Lalo plots collide in horrific outcome’ theory. Would be an interesting parallel to Ozymandias.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe the twist is that Howard is driven to extreme paranoia and guns down Lalo in front of Kim and Jimmy.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

the howard plot ends early when howard challenges jimmy to a boxing match and gets million dollar baby'd

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Eh, I can’t agree. One thing that has been made very clear is that Jimmy’s coping mechanism is repression. When something is weighing on his mind he will focus all his energy on doing anything else. Right now what’s on his mind are Lalo and the Bad Choice Road; he nearly got shot in the desert, he had to drink his own piss, he still has his sun damage tan and had a cartel boss come to his house and threaten not just him, but Kim. He can’t ignore this at work, clients are flooding in looking for the Salamanca guy, and his fellow lawyers are shunning him or begging him to rat.

He's not super stoked about the Howard scheme because it’s tangled up in a lot of older wounds, but he’s super invested in it because it’s an opportunity to not be Saul Goodman. When he’s pranking Howard he’s just being Slippin’ Jimmy, wearing costumes and pulling pratfalls, and whatever fallout that may have does not involve a cartel boss waving a gun at his wife. The more effort he puts into that, the less time he has to think about Saul Goodman’s troubles. Plus Kim obviously is into it and doing it makes her happy, that’s a win/win.

i'm not picking up on that read at all - his energy after a day of being shunned by his coworkers and getting a flood of shady clients was the most upbeat he's been this season. a great day, he called it. he's in the process of making a decision that this is the direction he's going to go. he was sitting there all depressed at the lunch table alone, then the calls started coming in, and he lit up.

i think he's not that stoked about the howard scheme because he doesn't feel any need to do it, the chapter is close for him emotionally. kim is the one instigating all of it and he's going along because he loves her. he doesn't want to distract himself from being saul.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I feel like Howard's story is going to throw us a curve for maybe after the show catches up to post-BB time. They've been dropping little hints along the way about how Howard would have liked to forge his own path instead of following in his father's footsteps at HHM. Maybe he'll run for District Attorney or something.

drat Patrick Fabian would make a great Harvey Dent.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

iamsosmrt posted:

Maybe the twist is that Howard is driven to extreme paranoia and guns down Lalo in front of Kim and Jimmy.
I think the other way is more likely and would go down like:
Lalo sees Jimmy in his Howard get up, thinks he's gone into hiding with a new look. Mistakes Howard for Jimmy. Lalo, for involving a random civilian is taken out like a rabid dog.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

pixaal posted:

I think the other way is more likely and would go down like:
Lalo sees Jimmy in his Howard get up, thinks he's gone into hiding with a new look. Mistakes Howard for Jimmy. Lalo, for involving a random civilian is taken out like a rabid dog.

What? Nobody with the power to have Lalo killed cares about innocent people getting hurt.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

What? Nobody with the power to have Lalo killed cares about innocent people getting hurt.

Mike is RIGHT THERE.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I hope episode 5 cold-open is us seeing Jimmy dressed as Hamlin doing the parking space prank again, with Mike's guys watching wondering wtf is going on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

re: howard I got my hands on some big Gene era spoilers...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

re: howard I got my hands on some big Gene era spoilers...

Lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I like how the show displays that while Jimmy is a scumbag, he has his limits and believes in honor among thieves, while Kim is nearly ready to do anything to prove her superiority to others and will likely be able to thrive in the criminal underworld more than Jimmy.

I’m angry that the Cinnabon thing didn’t continue as a cold open to episode 1. I want to see Jimmy “take care of it himself.”

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t know I’m worried that Kim is going to burn too bright too quickly. She has herself convinced this is all for some grand noble purpose too and doesn’t realize they’re “bad guys”

She’s good, possibly even better than Jimmy at her best but I don’t think she knows how to use the brakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I’m angry that the Cinnabon thing didn’t continue as a cold open to episode 1. I want to see Jimmy “take care of it himself.”

There's no way they don't finish that up. The idea that the first half of this season is Jimmy and the 2nd half is Gene has come up a few times.