Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Looper posted:

i'm a real gamer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Looper posted:

i'm a real gamer

:cheers:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4VR8YDQT0M

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

i have no words

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That ad was ubiquitous back in the day

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Namtab posted:

That ad was ubiquitous back in the day
Welp. Either I never saw it because of adblocking, or I've completely banished it from my memory.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

valhalla was a really relaxing game for me. also all of the...yiik references are really funny in hindsight

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Games are games

Cheers to games

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Colonel posted:

higurashi itself has a whole bonus scene where they discuss what makes a vn without any choices a game and bring up the idea that mystery novels themselves are a form of game because the player is challenged to engage with the act of mystery solving themself, so by extension mystery vns with or without choices count as a game

Speaking of, are any of the Higurashi animes worth watching out of curiosity?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Larryb posted:

I know folks tend to prefer the VN but heck, I have enjoyed the ones I have seen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Larryb posted:

No. At least especially of the million sidestories and extra OVAs that got animated, which were very superfluous stories. Gou/Sotsu had an idea to them that could have been interesting but was executed poorly (which subsequently might have gotten fixed a bit in the manga version).

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Srice posted:

I know folks tend to prefer the VN but heck, I have enjoyed the ones I have seen.

This

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i enjoyed the first season of the anime, which is what i watched so far

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Looper posted:

i'm a real gamer

I... am not a gamer. :negative:

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

real gamers don't listen to what egm has to say in 2022

because they're too busy gaming

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Realistic horse balls

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Schir posted:

real gamers don't listen to what egm has to say in 2022

Only because EGM drove out Sushi-X and forced him into hiding :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Facetious posted:

Only because EGM drove out Sushi-X and forced him into hiding :smith:

Whatever Happened to Sushi-X, ADTRW Investigates

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
March Comes Like A Lion is supposed to be pretty good, right? Netflix told me they’re losing it soon and it’s only two seasons so I’m thinking I should watch it unless the anime version of the series is bad?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Facetious posted:

I like the implication that comas are voluntary

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

March Comes Like A Lion is supposed to be pretty good, right? Netflix told me they’re losing it soon and it’s only two seasons so I’m thinking I should watch it unless the anime version of the series is bad?

i think it's much more commonly watched than read, and aside from the author having chops i can't say i heard much praise until the anime

but anyway, yes it's good. there's a bit of tone whiplash in the earlier episodes but it settles nicely.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUswqaS-0Os

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Last Celebration posted:

The anime is amazing and incredibly well done. My only complaint is that there is not more.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Last Celebration posted:

It's one of my absolute favourite shows, I cannot recommend it highly enough. The manga is itself really strong and the adaptation captures it perfectly. I'd say it's a toss-up which is the better version, with some scenes benefitting more from the medium change than others, but personally I do slightly prefer the anime.

(For english readers even moreso, part of what makes the manga so good is the extremely deliberate panel composition & text blocking, which translations invariably have to gently caress with just 'cause english isn't written vertically)

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Red Minjo posted:

I like the implication that comas are voluntary

Buddy, I wish

copy
Jul 26, 2007

oh poo poo breaker season 3 finally gettin released. I should go reread 1 and new waves

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
March Comes in like a Lion won the Taisho award 5 years before the anime aired, it was quite celebrated.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

he was right

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

copy posted:

oh poo poo breaker season 3 finally gettin released. I should go reread 1 and new waves

Get the hell out of here, there's no way that could be true

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

watch the entire uminochikaverse. what good is march lion if you arent also watching honey and clover

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

homeless snail posted:

watch the entire uminochikaverse. what good is march lion if you arent also watching honey and clover

yup. op pretty good imo (food)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNpkivDglrA

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Larryb posted:

first season was good, second was okay
sotsugou has the best character designs but is awful imo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

as a gamer, rdr2 was excruciatingly boring

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Get the hell out of here, there's no way that could be true

yeah flame is doing a tl of it. it's in webtoon format now and on naver so i imagine there'll be an official one eventually though

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Larryb posted:

If you've read & enjoyed the VN, then would describe Gou/Sotsu as... Worth... Watching, I guess? With the caveat that it's pretty bad in a lot of ways but they're interesting ways at least? I don't regret my time with it anyway, at its best it's a really fun kind of black comedy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marumaru posted:

as a gamer, rdr2 was excruciatingly boring

it plays exactly like a sad slow western. sometimes I'm in the mood for that and sometimes it's the most boring thing imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

copy posted:

yeah flame is doing a tl of it. it's in webtoon format now and on naver so i imagine there'll be an official one eventually though

I'm legit shocked by this