Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
What’s your desires mix between small, cheap, and performance/storage/memory?

The Dell Wyse thin clients are very popular for that sort of thing, and some of them have Gemini lake, and all sorts of weird options like RS232, but they’re not small. They’re very cheap on eBay.

You could also get an older little booksize or nettop PC a little cheaper, but the performance and capability will be a bit less. I have a couple that i don’t realistically have any chance of using again, i could sell you one cheap.

You could also get an old EEE-style (not that exact one necessarily) super mini laptop or x86 chrome book. But performance gets real bleak the farther back you go, bay trail or whatever really is about the slowest and lowest that is realistic for a modern OS.

But if that stick pc will do it that seems like a perfectly reasonable option to me unless you have some other need. You won’t get much cheaper without seriously compromising on performance, or size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had one of the compute sticks a few years back - think it was a lenovo one. It was pretty much unusable out of the box, from memory it was because it really needed external wifi and Bluetooth due to the internal ones sucking, and only has one USB port.

Anyway sorry for super vagueness but I'd be super careful about getting one, mine was a waste of money. I ended up making a thin-ITX computer from parts on ebay for pretty cheap. One option would be a Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny off ebay as well, they're super cheap second hand.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm usually not a fan of open PC designs, but I like the look of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmTMr66Csc

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm usually not a fan of open PC designs, but I like the look of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMmTMr66Csc

I think it has a lot of promise, especially since it's still a prototype and they're looking for feedback. The first thing that popped into my head was that you could put those mounting rails on the top/bottom pipes of the case in addition to the corner pipes - maybe there's space for a 140mm radiator up top?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
This will be great for the upcoming 600W GPU setups :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I ended up taking the :10bux: hit and canceling my Sliger order. I think I can re-use a lovely older SFF case I have and use a NH-D15S if I remove the PSU and use a pico PSU instead to save space.

The other reason is things have just been going badly on my other work items on that project. Getting a hackintosh set up is a much larger can of worms than I realized, and I don’t think I would be able to adapt a m.2 nvme SSD to mini-PCIe as easily as I’d hoped (the adapter is e-key only, for wifi, but the SSD uses M key), and if I go pico PSU then I need to wait for the slot power only RX 6400 model.

I did also grab a cheap thunderbolt enclosure, and that is the only major success on that project so far, but I’d have to plug it into an x86 Mac (probably Mac mini) rather than M1 because apple doesn’t support that yet. Maybe that changes once they launch mac pro though? But the x86 mini is as expensive as the M1 model and I can’t bring myself to quite pay that.

I think at this point I’ll just keep plugging away at trying to get hackintosh to work, and go from there.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://youtu.be/KLGfeiMdi1Q

I don't know where else to post this.

you can post it right into my veins

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Shaocaholica posted:

Are there itty bitty AMD APU cases? Even if its OEM? I think Lenovo has some but who else?

You looking for just any case that fits an APU buld or a complete setup? Because if you're looking for a case, I took a liking to the In Win B1. I had almost bulit it but unfortunately we ended up having no space and use for it after all.

The feet are detachable so you can also lie it flat. There's also a white version that replaces the glass with wood, which gives it a really good living room vibe.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Because it's most relevant to this thread: I picked up an a2000, 12gb the other day for my passively cooled jetway - they finally hit retail at a reasonable price and I just ordered one, it showed up a few days later. There's some loss w/ the nvme -> pcie adapter, but it's sufficient for my need. I can now game on it with Elden Ring at 1080p and it's pretty smooth, thanks in part to the i9 w/ 16 threads; I have a scaler that helps fill it in when if / it drops below 60 fps. The whole system is <200w total w/ the graphics card, and it's just 3 liters in size so I'm pretty happy with this sff result.

It's quiet and looks nice, too.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

denereal visease posted:

It depends on what you want to put in it and how you want to cool it. Anything hotter than 5800X (135W TDP iirc) you may want to throw an AIO in to keep things cool. Larger GPUs may require you to remove the front I/O panel to create wiggle room during the install; had to do it for my Asus 3080. If your PSU has dasiy-chained VGA power leads, they can make it a real pain in the rear end to put the side panel on. Cable management can be a little tough in the M1, but not impossible.

I'm super happy with my M1 and see myself using it until there's a better / higher airflow case in the 12-15L size range. It's a really well designed case, fairly easy to build in for ITX, and has the versatility to do 2x240 radiators if you want to get into custom water cooling. The M1 is no longer in production, so getting spare parts is going to a challenge if you should need them.

If you're open to buying a new case, the leading SFF content creator just released a new video today on the best ITX cases currently available.

Found a v6.1 case in silver on eBay for $200 that I paid for this morning. Seems in good enough condition, a few scratches. Was planning to just move out of the NZXT h200 that I built in 2018. I still have a 1060, but want to put off a total upgrade for long as possible.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Considering replacing a laptop that my wife owns with a SFF of some kind. She doesn't game and is mostly cranking out a thousand tabs in Chrome and using typical office apps, so I will likely use something like a 12400 or a 5600G. Since she doesn't game, I feel like I could go real small and do something like an Inwin Chopin. Anyone got other ideas, experience, or recommendations?

I could do a NUC or whatever but that's no fun, this is more about the entertainment factor than anything.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cheese Thief posted:

Found a v6.1 case in silver on eBay for $200 that I paid for this morning. Seems in good enough condition, a few scratches. Was planning to just move out of the NZXT h200 that I built in 2018. I still have a 1060, but want to put off a total upgrade for long as possible.
Sweet deal! The M1 is a really well designed and well-built case (IMO), it offers a crazy amount of flexibility for only being ~12L in volume.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

denereal visease posted:

Sweet deal! The M1 is a really well designed and well-built case (IMO), it offers a crazy amount of flexibility for only being ~12L in volume.

Here is the old, and here is the new. I really, really like the build quality and design. If I was to replace the gpu I guess it would be the 3080 FI, but morally I don’t want to support scalpers so I will wait.

Pork Chops Aplenty
Jan 11, 2008

if you can afford a Digitakt and an SFF PC you should probably consider also getting a table that isn't used for picnics and beer pong to put them on IMO

Nice case though!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Pork Chops Aplenty posted:

if you can afford a Digitakt and an SFF PC you should probably consider also getting a table that isn't used for picnics and beer pong to put them on IMO

Nice case though!

I have to move for work around the USA, at my real home I have a beautiful oak desk that is about 75 years old and very heavy. On the road, my furnishings have to fit in the back of my Chevy.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

E: Wow I totally posted this in the wrong thread somehow

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 29, 2022

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Got my shipping notification for the TX-6 early this morning, it should be here on 5/4, allah willing. I knew it was small, but seeing someone hold it next to one of their pocket operators really drove the scale home for me. It's so fuckin tiny hahaha I can't wait

I have the TE OB-4 and it’s great and also small. What is TX-6? It looks like a mixer. They have this stupid SFF case for sale

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Whooops, wrong thread. I don't even read this one, sorry. But for what it's worth, both people I know who bought that case found the assembly process to be a delight and enjoy the case.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cheese Thief posted:

I have the TE OB-4 and it’s great and also small. What is TX-6? It looks like a mixer. They have this stupid SFF case for sale

Apparently it’s the Worst Case. Flimsy. Holes aren’t threaded, etc.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone buying powder coated 1mm aluminum sheets expecting threaded holes and rock solid stability is probably not someone you want to be listening to wrt product reviews.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Putting the parts from old (mini-its) case to new Ncase m1 is harder than I expected. Right away the heat sink is too large and I don’t know how to get the psu attached. Might I get some help and we can get this together.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

Putting the parts from old (mini-its) case to new Ncase m1 is harder than I expected. Right away the heat sink is too large and I don’t know how to get the psu attached. Might I get some help and we can get this together.
Lol wait until you try to get the GPU in there

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cheese Thief posted:

https://imgur.com/a/kybBtjQ#K6zL6mM

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Considering putting one of these new 65W 8c/16t 5700X Ryzens into my SFF system as an last upgrade to my B450 board. Currently have a 3600 in there that's doing just fine with games, but I'm thinking why not get more cores/threads for the same wattage while I ride this system for a few more years.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I bought a HP Omen pre-built during covid to get a 3080. Recently, I decided to transplant the computer into a smaller case and de-shroud the GPU.

I fit it all in a SAMA IM01. Overall not bad, HP uses standard parts, the exception is the power button lead is near the top right of the motherboard and the FP Audio is near the top left. Since I don't use the case LEDs or the reset button, the former was not an issue. I ordered an extension cable for FP audio.

I opted to use a SFX power supply, and did not use any of the regular mounting methods. I saw a post on reddit where the user used the sfx-atx bracket to clamp the power supply to the inner front panel, and that gave him the space to use a 240MM rad and micro-atx board.

The deshroud was fairly simple, I clipped the motors out of two case fans to create spacers and zip tied them to the Noctuas to get the fans closer to the GPU heatsink.

I also flipped the case, natural convection should also assist in pulling heat up and away from the video card. The two noctua fans are blowing upwards.

Pics here:
https://imgur.com/a/UXrnYRJ

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 30, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I had a NCase M1 laying around with some parts so decided to order some things and build a computer for my wife. Parts arrived last week and had a quick go at building and I'm so pleased with it. Bought the cheapest X99 "mATX" board from Ali with 2650v3 CPU, put my spare DDR4 ECC in and my spare Quadro in.

https://imgur.com/a/CDEp7B4

Specs are

Atemiter X99 (new to me)
Xeon E5 2650v3 (new to me)
64 GB of DDR4 ECC (upgraded my other box so I had these extra)
Kingston NV1 256 GB (bought used from someone who upgraded to bigger disk for pennies)
Quadro M4000 (fan seems to be dying, bought to flip this during 2021 GFX card wars but never got around it due to fan issue)
Noctua C14 with 140 mm Corsair ML Pro white LED fan (bought last known example of this for sale in Germany)
Corsair SF600 Plat (I picked this up for cheap with Dancase A4 white wire kit some moons ago)
Intel something wifi on PCIe card (cheap Ali card with Intel wifi card from dead laptop)

New parts cost me ca. $200.

E: all the clips holding panels on my NCase are still broken so they're attached with double sided tape for now.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 31, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hi guys -- I'm trying to build a computer that will fit in the 15"-tall compartment in my desk which they created for this purpose apparently without any knowledge of how tall computers actually are. That appears to mean an ITX build would be best. I posted in the PC-building megathread and they recommended crossposting to ITT in case there are any compatibility issues they didn't know about. My use-case is normal use and moderate gaming; the SSD is reused from my current (dead) computer because it has all my stuff on it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.94 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Plus 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.12 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB MECH 2X OC Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($99.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $864.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-31 11:46 EDT-0400

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing w/r/t most PC-building stuff but especially with ITX. The motherboard is back-ordered, but apparently shouldn't take too long (???). Am I missing any obvious glaring issues? Thanks!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Hi guys -- I'm trying to build a computer that will fit in the 15"-tall compartment in my desk which they created for this purpose apparently without any knowledge of how tall computers actually are. That appears to mean an ITX build would be best. I posted in the PC-building megathread and they recommended crossposting to ITT in case there are any compatibility issues they didn't know about. My use-case is normal use and moderate gaming; the SSD is reused from my current (dead) computer because it has all my stuff on it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.94 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Plus 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.12 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB MECH 2X OC Video Card ($339.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($99.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $864.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-31 11:46 EDT-0400

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing w/r/t most PC-building stuff but especially with ITX. The motherboard is back-ordered, but apparently shouldn't take too long (???). Am I missing any obvious glaring issues? Thanks!

You might be able to get the motherboard sooner from here: https://www.beachaudio.com/asrock-2...ikaAvqmEALw_wcB

More expensive than Newegg, but might be worth noting if they don’t pull through.

Otherwise, that looks like a nice build, and the DDR4 support is pretty cool. I didn’t turn up any other ITX boards that offered that.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gigabyte has a DDR4 version of the Aorus Z690I Ultra, the ITX mainboard they recalled over PCIe 4.0 issues :v:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

loquacius posted:

So I recommended the NR200 because while it's ITX, it's a much better case than your old N200 in terms of airflow, which should be helpful given that you're sticking it in a cupboard. It's also on the larger side of ITX cases and pretty easy to build in while having excellent compatibility with most air coolers and GPUs. You also aren't wasting space on things you don't need anymore like 3.5" and optical drive bays. The main concern you have with 12th generation Intel ITX boards is some of them have fuckoff huge heatsinks mounted onto the VRMs, which can get in the way of decent air coolers. The ASRock B660 avoids that problem by being barebones and not having any heatsinks (lol) which shouldn't be a problem with the 12400F but as you were told in the other thread would be bad if you were pairing it with a faster CPU. My main concern would be the poor connectivity on the back of that motherboard in terms of no USB C and only 4 USB ports, 2 of which being USB 2.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I don’t think that heatsink has lga1700 capability, unless it’s listed on the mfg website and not Amazon.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Canna Happy posted:

I don’t think that heatsink has lga1700 capability, unless it’s listed on the mfg website and not Amazon.

This single fan heatsink might be a better option for them then, and still plenty cooling for the 12400F while being compatible with the NR200. Or there's this, which is overkill for the 12400F but looks good value although it would definitely have problems with boards with bigger heatsinks.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PCPP definitely claims it has LGA1700 capability (or it wouldn't have cleared the compatibility filter); is it possible they're wrong?

(direct link: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vK2WGX/thermalright-assassin-king-120-plus-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ak-120-plus)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

loquacius posted:

PCPP definitely claims it has LGA1700 capability (or it wouldn't have cleared the compatibility filter); is it possible they're wrong?

(direct link: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vK2WGX/thermalright-assassin-king-120-plus-6617-cfm-cpu-cooler-ak-120-plus)

Ok no fair enough the top review mentions using it with a 12th gen CPU.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

It doesn’t list 1700 on thermalrights page. I know some 1700 boards are using 115x/1200 mounting holes still. I wouldn’t buy it, but that’s just me.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm the guy to be pioneering on this. I'll just reuse my old microATX case with all-new guts, that's the safer bet. Thanks guys :tipshat:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

loquacius posted:

Yeah I'm not sure if I'm the guy to be pioneering on this. I'll just reuse my old microATX case with all-new guts, that's the safer bet. Thanks guys :tipshat:

your old case isn't as good for airflow and with new hotter parts in there it could be an issue. cases have gotten much better in the last 10 years.

Edit: a couple of mATX cases to consider that should fit. the first definitely would.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pfvdnQ/sama-im01-microatx-mini-tower-case-im01

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vPp323/fractal-design-focus-g-mini-black-microatx-mini-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-mini-bk-w

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 31, 2022

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

loquacius posted:

I googled and found you have to buy the 1700 kit Thermalright LGA 1700-SS2 Mounting Kit for CPU Coolers on Intel's LGA1700 Platform, Mounting Kit for LGA1700 Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09LTQYNSL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GY28R0H5447BRFP8TK7T

Once you go itx you won’t go back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Canna Happy posted:

Once you go itx you won’t go back.

It's so true. I've built exclusively in ITX cases for my own PCs for the last several years now. It's unfortunate, because ITX commands such a large premium over normie hardware lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hell, it's 9 bucks, I guess I could give it a shot. I really like having my PC on the little wheeled slide platform dealie and out of the way, it's just a shame it apparently won't fit 99% of computers. This form factor could be the only way apart from using the old case and possibly overheating all the time.

Butterfly Valley posted:

your old case isn't as good for airflow and with new hotter parts in there it could be an issue. cases have gotten much better in the last 10 years.

Edit: a couple of mATX cases to consider that should fit. the first definitely would.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pfvdnQ/sama-im01-microatx-mini-tower-case-im01

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vPp323/fractal-design-focus-g-mini-black-microatx-mini-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-mini-bk-w

Yeah I clicked through so many of them, the problem is that the height on this compartment is exactly 15". The height on the Sama IM01 is about 15.5" and the Focus G is 18.5" tall. It's worth trying ITX if I'm reasonably sure it'll work.