Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

ex post facho posted:

Personally, I just use my qi to set up a cleansing barrier of light at the entrance to my home, through which only karmically-aligned particles may enter

what do you recommend for those of us who aren't yet at your power level? how can we best train to develop the cleansing barrier of light technique, sensei?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

Calibanibal is a terrible choice for an IK. Dude never caught covid, not even once at all. He wouldn't be able to moderate properly if he doesn't know what it feels like. It's like putting a virgin in charge of moderating a sex education discussion thread.

Who was that goon who caught covid twice and have long covid? They would be a better fit for an IK

That person or wang commander who got about a dozen doses of the vaccine. I think they also got covid.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

redreader posted:

I think judging from how many people ITT actually have covid right now or caught it within the last 2 weeks, we're currently in the highest peak in the worst wave so far in the USA. Or everyone here just very unluckily lives in the worst areas.

I realise this is not accurate or any kind of good measure, and I'm sure it's actually just the start of the wave from looking at the data. But wow. Lots of us have it right now! More than ever before!

If it was good enough for crack-pingl to guesstimate how many popped pozz at the WHCD to himself then its good enough for us to lol at

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

ram dass in hell posted:

what do you recommend for those of us who aren't yet at your power level? how can we best train to develop the cleansing barrier of light technique, sensei?

doing a solar flare every few minutes would be like having a uv cleansing system. Krillin never needs to fully lose his fighting value

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PerniciousKnid posted:

How many co2 readers do we need to convince businesses to install co2 scrubbers that don't impact COVID?

fwiw this isn't really a thing for like, normal indoor air quality for most cases. you get rid of the co2 by exchanging the air (which means it should be even easier to accomplish if literally anyone else gave a gently caress)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Sure but I don't know what to prepopulate it with.

HEPA is 99.97% for anything >0.3um and the MERV filter ratings are here:

I think the Corsi box calculations assume the target aerosol size is >1.0 um for a MERV-13 filter if they're using an 80%+ removal-per-pass assumption. Personally I would use the more pessimistic assumption of 0.3um for light aerosols if you're calculating ACH for COVID-19.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Shiroc posted:

doing a solar flare every few minutes would be like having a uv cleansing system. Krillin never needs to fully lose his fighting value

covid could kill goku so checks out

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

redreader posted:

I think judging from how many people ITT actually have covid right now or caught it within the last 2 weeks, we're currently in the highest peak in the worst wave so far in the USA. Or everyone here just very unluckily lives in the worst areas.

I realise this is not accurate or any kind of good measure, and I'm sure it's actually just the start of the wave from looking at the data. But wow. Lots of us have it right now! More than ever before!
yeah anecdotally im seeing a ton of it too, but hospitals arent that full... yet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

If it was good enough for crack-pingl to guesstimate how many popped pozz at the WHCD to himself then its good enough for us to lol at

Well, everyone knows that Washington D.C. is like one month into a ridiculously bad and long covid wave. The rest of the country though? Mystery.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

mediaphage posted:

fwiw this isn't really a thing for like, normal indoor air quality for most cases. you get rid of the co2 by exchanging the air (which means it should be even easier to accomplish if literally anyone else gave a gently caress)

Ah but what if the goal is to be as stupid as possible?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I think the Corsi box calculations assume the target aerosol size is >1.0 um for a MERV-13 filter if they're using an 80%+ removal-per-pass assumption. Personally I would use the more pessimistic assumption of 0.3um for light aerosols if you're calculating ACH for COVID-19.

Also, 0.3 micron is the hardest particulate size to capture, period, so if you calculate the removal rate for 0.3 micron particles then that's your 'worst case' scenario covered. Anything bigger or smaller is going to be captured more effectively.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
The lie that kids couldn’t catch covid and that schools were covid free zones was always a purposeful and evil lie but honestly a lot of parents seem to think of their own children as like a different species that aren’t affected by things that affect humans.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Chamale posted:

I'm the new IK for this thread, and y'all have been slacking with the pet tax.

Mice can get covid, so I'm keeping myself safe to protect these little ladies.

Do you know if rats can get Covid? My brief googling suggests they cannot, but I don't really trust search engines anymore.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

The lie that kids couldn’t catch covid and that schools were covid free zones was always a purposeful and evil lie but honestly a lot of parents seem to think of their own children as like a different species that aren’t affected by things that affect humans.

Schools generate a proven harm reduction field which is why we intentionally site schools on top of toxic waste dumps to mitigate the effects those poisons would otherwise have on the people nearby

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

What resources are you all using to gauge spread at this point? My gf and I are never going back to theaters or indoor dining but now that covid is forever, we need to start making compromises to visit friends and family masked. But now it feels impossible to tell when a wave hits because COVID has been accepted as Not A Problem

getting good covid data now is like reading tea leaves and the usefulness of the data varies by state. my state (oregon) still puts out a daily report that is currently showing that cases and positivity rates are rising. the CDC still updates their old map here (you need to change the data type from "COVID-19 Community Levels" to "Community Transmission")

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PerniciousKnid posted:

Ah but what if the goal is to be as stupid as possible?

just open the taps on the co2 tanks baybee

Animal-Mother posted:

Do you know if rats can get Covid? My brief googling suggests they cannot, but I don't really trust search engines anymore.

i think if so, it's very weak. labs seem to be needing to specifically engineer mice with the human versions of the ace2 receptors to really use them, so

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

What resources are you all using to gauge spread at this point? My gf and I are never going back to theaters or indoor dining but now that covid is forever, we need to start making compromises to visit friends and family masked. But now it feels impossible to tell when a wave hits because COVID has been accepted as Not A Problem

https://www.microcovid.org/ has a calculator that you can plug reported case data and test positivity into to get a risk score. It's not perfect at all (it overestimates the protective effect of vaccines against infection significantly, and underestimates the effectiveness of n95+ respirators) but if you have the raw data it's a useful yardstick to tell you whether something is 'not totally safe but acceptable' or 'gently caress no'. Note that if your local data is crap or doesn't exist then you are just hosed, but you might be able to proxy it (for example, if you have a local health system or university with a virology department that publishes a dashboard on their own test stats or even Walgreens lmao https://www.walgreens.com/businesssolutions/covid-19-index.jsp)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ve shown people the Walgreens dashboard and it is an eye opener.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Petey posted:

guessing evusheld

Man if evusheld makes you that invincible to COVID I should be going to Applebees every night.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

empty whippet box posted:

if calibanibal isn't joking and is really going to be ik'ing this thread I just want to make it clear that I'm not going to listen to poo poo he says about anything and will continue doing absolutely everything he just said we shouldn't. there is no problem that needs fixing, gently caress off.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

NeonPunk posted:

Calibanibal is a terrible choice for an IK. Dude never caught covid, not even once at all. He wouldn't be able to moderate properly if he doesn't know what it feels like. It's like putting a virgin in charge of moderating a sex education discussion thread.

Who was that goon who caught covid twice and have long covid? They would be a better fit for an IK

It should be the guy that got it from watching spider-man

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rescue Toaster posted:

Man if evusheld makes you that invincible to COVID I should be going to Applebees every night.

Next week the supreme court will rule that everyone must eat at Applebee's every night.

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It’s denial all the way down.

Adults really really don’t want to confront the fact that children are just younger adults.

I saw this clearly at school in how shittily they would avoid issues of:
The high schooler that got pregnant and dropped out
The fourth grade classmate that died of cancer.
The time a classmate and friend killed himself. (Had to drive around town with my brother giving everyone the bad news in person for that one.). Had to explain to teachers why I was late for class due to attending the funeral, because people avoid the issue instead of discussing it like mature adults.

Nobody in America (or really most places) wants to confront mortality, and the response to Covid has shown the shittiest side of this human failing.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Mar 5, 2023

420Nobody
May 5, 2022

by Pragmatica

If you enable your PMs, I have something to discuss with you that may help your current situation. I am in a similar situation and am sympathetic.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just saw some cool birds at the park it was nice. I was wearing a mask and it was very fashionable

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

420Nobody posted:

If you enable your PMs, I have something to discuss with you that may help your current situation. I am in a similar situation and am sympathetic.

i dont have plat

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

redreader posted:

I think that there are also a lot of people that are losing their ability to stay safe due to the now complete disappearance of even the suggestion of masking combined with companies going more gung ho on people returning to the office and booster protection dwindling. Like I posted a week or two ago, we're at the point of the zombie movie where most of us get picked off one by one as sad music plays. I'm laser focused on trying to keep my infant safe until she can get vaccinated and I hope I can pull it off but I don't know if it's gonna happen given that we're entering another wave with daycare being fully mask off and the FDA being in zero hurry to approve under five shots.

https://twitter.com/SFRuminations/status/1522220906847764482?s=20&t=FB8euQRz5Aezn4IJOOdIHg

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

sonatinas posted:

I’ve shown people the Walgreens dashboard and it is an eye opener.

it amuses me that you can tell how prevalent walgreens is in a state by seeing how jagged the positivity curve is

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Animal-Mother posted:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Stevie Lee posted:

thx. it's weird, i woke up this morning and thought i felt better since i wasn't aching all over like the last couple days, but i guess covid decided my brain is a better target today. currently fighting the urge to go walk a nature trail by telling myself not to infect the deer

Maybe a deer with COVID would be too tired to run into the side of a pickup truck.

420Nobody
May 5, 2022

by Pragmatica

hot witch divorcee posted:

i dont have plat

I'll send you ten bucks after the fact. If not, sincere best wishes in surviving this hell with immunocompromised loved ones.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I just assume it's more that a dual income household relies on kids loving off to school during the day. So in order for people to make money, kid's gotta go to school.

And sure you could do things like improving ventilation at schools to make them safer, but school funding comes from local taxes and people are also very opposed to local tax increases.

So because there is an inherent tension there, we just play pretend.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Trixie Hardcore posted:

it's even more insane because pre-covid everyone knew and acknowledged the obvious truth which is that children are insanely powerful disease vectors and get sick all the time and make you sick constantly with poo poo they picked up at school

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

420Nobody posted:

I'll send you ten bucks after the fact. If not, sincere best wishes in surviving this hell with immunocompromised loved ones.

You can buy someone plat. Look at the top of the website for 'Gift Cert.'

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

zetamind2000 posted:

It should be the guy that got it from watching spider-man

they're not a poster itt just a succ twitter user. you may be thinking of hootington, who did not get it from spider-man but rather accompanied their covid-positive wife to spider-man where they bioterrorismed an entire theater full of people and then lolled about it

420Nobody
May 5, 2022

by Pragmatica

Dixon Chisholm posted:

You can buy someone plat. Look at the top of the website for 'Gift Cert.'

Thanks, comrade.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

ram dass in hell posted:

it's even more insane because pre-covid everyone knew and acknowledged the obvious truth which is that children are insanely powerful disease vectors and get sick all the time and make you sick constantly with poo poo they picked up at school

Same with airplanes. But now there's no one more immune than a child eating in a school or airplane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ram dass in hell posted:

Also airports/airplanes are well known places to get sick and we declared them COVID safe as well.