Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well, it finally happened, I finally saw a Marvel film where I was bored almost every single moment of the entire runtime.

Me, the diehard MCU fanboy, is sad to report that the new Doctor Strange film was a turgid boring ugly mess. And I chug these films down like the target consumer that I am. If I wasn’t so invested in the whole MCU soap opera, and if I hadn’t dragged a non-MCU fan mate along, I actively considered walking out as I was b o r e d.

I also feel it retroactively makes WandaVision worse (and weird openinf aside I adored WandaVision). But that’s a discussion to be had later once we’ve all seen it and can chat without letting spoilers ruin it for people.

Hope you all enjoy it more than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Speaking of diversity, is Marc the first Latino superhero in the MCU?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Parkingtigers posted:

Well, it finally happened, I finally saw a Marvel film where I was bored almost every single moment of the entire runtime.

Me, the diehard MCU fanboy, is sad to report that the new Doctor Strange film was a turgid boring ugly mess. And I chug these films down like the target consumer that I am. If I wasn’t so invested in the whole MCU soap opera, and if I hadn’t dragged a non-MCU fan mate along, I actively considered walking out as I was b o r e d.

I also feel it retroactively makes WandaVision worse (and weird openinf aside I adored WandaVision). But that’s a discussion to be had later once we’ve all seen it and can chat without letting spoilers ruin it for people.

Hope you all enjoy it more than I did.

One thing I've been wondering lately when looking at the trailers, does Multiverse of Madness use the same trippy fight direction that set the first film apart? I haven't seen it advertised as being in 3D at all, and I don't even think anyplace does 3D anymore, at least not local to me, so I don't know that it'd be nearly as successful if it did (it wasn't nearly as good in No Way Home when they did roughly similar fight scenes, for example) but it's kind of a shame that the film would lose one of the things that set Doctor Strange apart as a character and film if so. Mind you, it's not a bad thing that 3D has died away again, at least for now, in general, but Doctor Strange was one of the few movies that made half decent use of it.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I'm seeing it in 3D later today. The first one was so amazing In 3D I figured I should try it

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

kumba posted:

Pickles own.

1. Loki
2. Wandavision
3. Moon Knight
4. Hawkeye
5. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
6. What If?

3 & 4 are pretty much interchangeable, but the rankings are otherwise very clear to me

This is pretty accurate for me too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hate pickles

1. Hawkeye
2. Wandavision
3. Moon Knight
4. Falcon and Winter Soldier
5. Loki
6. What If

I saw Doctor Strange in 2D and thought the trippy visuals were incredible

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Love pickles.

1. Loki
2. FAWS
3. Hawkeye
4. Wandavision
5. Moon Knight
6. What If...?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like normal pickles, but not salted ones.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
1. Moon Knight
2. Hawkeye
3. Wandavision
4. FAWS
5. What If...?
6. Loki

I only like dill pickles.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

1. Moon Knight
2. Hawkeye
3. Loki
4. Wandavision
5. FatWS
6. What if...?

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 5, 2022

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why does everyone hate What If? That show kicked rear end.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Necrothatcher posted:

episode 4 and the last 2 were good

episode 1 was ok

the rest was pretty boring imo

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

My list is pretty close, but not exactly, the opposite and I do NOT like pickles. Hope this data point helps your upcoming PhD thesis on the subject.

:hmmyes: Getting good notes from all the replies.

Oasx posted:

I like normal pickles, but not salted ones.

This proves you are my evil twin. Probably my Jake.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Love pickes.

1) Morbius
2) Morbius
3) Morbuis
4) Morbuis
5) Morbuis
6) Morbuis

:stonk:

Everything that could be wrong with a post is in this post.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't hate it, Loki is the only one that I look back on with dislike. It just doesn't have all the highs for me that the others tend to have.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
What If...? is very boring. I did a Phase 4 rewatch and WI? was difficult to get through, particularly the ones that are just reskins of movies.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Necrothatcher posted:

Anthology serieses are always wildly varied in quality plus by its own nature none of its stories were impactful plus it was an animation which means you lose out on seeing any great acting performances plus it didn't really have anything to say. The T'Challa and Strange episodes were fantastic but nothing else landed as memorable

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

What If...? is very boring. I did a Phase 4 rewatch and WI? was difficult to get through, particularly the ones that are just reskins of movies.
Yeah it only one ‘great’ episode (the Dr Strange one). I found a lot of them dull since they are just tweaks to movies we’ve seen. Like the Captain Carter one, the Killmonger one, the Fury one, etc

For me I would go-

6. What If
5. Wandavision
4. Loki
3. FATWS
2. Hawkeye
1. Moon Knight

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
1. Moon Knight
2. Ummm...
3. This space intentionally left blank
4. WandaVision
6. Loki

Been slowly catching up, haven't seen Hawkeye or What If yet.

For me, though, there's a huge gap between Moon Knight and the other shows I've seen. I barely watched any of the sitcoms Wanda is mocking, and the main plot felt rather contrived and dull. Falcon and the Winter Soldier is interesting whenever Isaiah Bradley is on screen and deathly boring the rest of the time. And Loki is funny whenever it remembers that the actor and character are good at comedy and falls flat on its face the rest of the time (so, most of the running time).

Moon Knight, I actively enjoyed the whole way through.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

3 & 4 are pretty much interchangeable, but the rankings are otherwise very clear to me

Yeah my 2&3 and 4&5 rankings are going to be mood based since I feel both sets of shows are similar quality and even the 2/3 4/5 ranks are pretty close in my heart. The only stand outs were how much I loved Loki and how average I felt most of What If was, especially the final episode.

EDIT: It's not that I dislike What If?, it's just that it just didn't do too much to get me excited or emotionally involved. When I watch stuff, and I think one of the reason's I'm more forgiving of media than most goons, I like it to get me emotionally invested. I want to feel things. Sometimes effects and exciting action is enough, sometimes a single good performance is enough. What If? really didn't have any of that.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 5, 2022

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

tsob posted:

One thing I've been wondering lately when looking at the trailers, does Multiverse of Madness use the same trippy fight direction that set the first film apart? I haven't seen it advertised as being in 3D at all, and I don't even think anyplace does 3D anymore, at least not local to me, so I don't know that it'd be nearly as successful if it did (it wasn't nearly as good in No Way Home when they did roughly similar fight scenes, for example) but it's kind of a shame that the film would lose one of the things that set Doctor Strange apart as a character and film if so. Mind you, it's not a bad thing that 3D has died away again, at least for now, in general, but Doctor Strange was one of the few movies that made half decent use of it.

There’s a lot of Raimi weird camera angles and zooms, that frankly he could have retired after Evil Dead and been a better director, but the fights were all painfully pedestrian with little to no emotional connection or investment either, and really flat cinematography.

No Way Home was a better, funnier, trippier Doctor Strange movie. As was Infinity War. This wasn’t even as good (for me, YMMV of course) as the What If? episodes. And certainly not as good as that stand-out Doc Strange What If? episode.

One character also has a reshoot haircut that literally changes from shot to shot, which is baffling for a main MCU flick. It’s Henry Cavill moustache level of obvious and I don’t go looking for these things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I would also clarify with my picks that none of the shows have been bad. However, What If? is much lower in quality than my #5.

The main problem in all of these series has been inconsistency. FATWS starts slow. Loki, Wandavision, Hawkeye all have issues with not really knowing what to do in the middle.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

kumba posted:

Pickles own.

1. Loki
2. Wandavision
3. Moon Knight
4. Hawkeye
6. What If?

Pickles own bones so hard Rick Sanchez once turned himself into one.

1. Hawkeye
2. Loki
3. Moon Knight
4. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
5. WandaVision
6. What If? (if only because that's the only one with an episode I left partially unwatched)

And those are just gut-check ranking that could easily change after a re-watch at some point.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gangringo posted:

I'm seeing it in 3D later today. The first one was so amazing In 3D I figured I should try it

Would appreciate a trip report on how it looks in 3D, since after checking, there is one cinema relatively close by with 3D screenings of the film.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

1. Wandavision
2. Loki
3. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
3. Moon Knight
3. Hawkeye
4. What if...

I really can't decide the order for FatWS, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight. They all have their plusses and minuses and depending on what I was grading them by they could be in any order.

FatWS had the most cinematic presentation
Hawkeye was just so charming and fun all the way through
Moon Knight had the most stand-out individual performance.

What if has three counts against it, the rough pacing, just okay animation, and using so many sound-alikes for MCU stars they couldn't afford on a TV budget.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

live with fruit posted:

Speaking of diversity, is Marc the first Latino superhero in the MCU?

Sure, I guess. Marc is Latino and also Jewish. And also an Englishman, sometimes.

America Chavez is now an MCU character, as well. Agents of SHIELD had 2 Inhuman characters (Yoyo and Joey) who were Latine.

Rapid 99
Jan 30, 2015

Hero will never give up,
never hide,
never be defeated,
never accept evil.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Hmmm that's interesting. Are there any newer comics with Moon Knight in the 'Suns? I might have to check them out.

The only comics with MK in the Sons were in the 2018 run Doctor Strange: Damnation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xealot posted:

Sure, I guess. Marc is Latino and also Jewish. And also an Englishman, sometimes.

Oscar Isaac is also Jewish by descent (through his Cuban father's side), though he's a practicing Christian. They cast Latin actors for his family in the flashbacks, so I think Marc could be canonically a Sephardic Jew. A large number of them migrated to the New World; Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is descended from them in Puerto Rico.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 5, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gangringo posted:

1. Wandavision
2. Loki
3. Falcon and the Winter Soldier
3. Moon Knight
3. Hawkeye
4. What if...

I really can't decide the order for FatWS, Hawkeye, and Moon Knight. They all have their plusses and minuses and depending on what I was grading them by they could be in any order.

FatWS had the most cinematic presentation
Hawkeye was just so charming and fun all the way through
Moon Knight had the most stand-out individual performance.

What if has three counts against it, the rough pacing, just okay animation, and using so many sound-alikes for MCU stars they couldn't afford on a TV budget.

Okay but what about the pickles?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Okay but what about the pickles?

loving love pickles.

I regularly stop by the restaurant supply store near me to keep stocked with giant jars of pickles, olives, and capers.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’m unironically writing a paper on these responses.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

My go-to snack is gardiniera straight out of an industrial sized container. I'm a loving pickle savage.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i've found very few pickles i dislike

pickle supremacy

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Xealot posted:

America Chavez is now an MCU character, as well. Agents of SHIELD had 2 Inhuman characters (Yoyo and Joey) who were Latine.

Ghost rider was before them iirc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harlock posted:

I would enjoy a potential Doctor Strange / Moon Knight / Blade / Ghost Rider team up in the future if such a thing would happen.

I feel like the Midnight Suns branding is going to be for the supernatural/dark/horror side. The way they're going in the films and shows, it seems like it'll consist of:

Blade
Black Knight
Moon Knight

and after that the possibilities are
Dr. Strange
Werewolf by Night
Ghost Rider

and I'll also throw in Punisher as my own personal guess this way Marvel can have him use guns to kill supernatural creatures

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Codependent Poster posted:

and I'll also throw in Punisher as my own personal guess this way Marvel can have him use guns to kill supernatural creatures

The idea of Oscar Isaac's Steven Grant dialoguing with Jon Bernthal's Punisher is extremely good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RandomReader posted:

It's not hard to parse, it's just stupid. Caring about the race, nationality, or gender of the superhero who just saved you is pretty shallow, and I don't appreciate the show itself going out of it's way for the audience to see how awesome and great they are for having a female egyptain superhero. It's different from when Captain America and Spider-man had that little connection over growing up in New York, where it was just a funny coincidence of life, this is clearly a Big Moment.

No, you see, it's different and better when these two white men do it, because...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Make my own fermented pickles

1.Loki
2.Falcon
3.Wandavision
4.Hawkeye
5.Moon Knight
6.What If

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

thrawn527 posted:

No, you see, it's different and better when it's these two white men, because...
Because there isn't a dramatic musical swell so you know that it's super important that two white people are bonding over being American.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The mens are upset a woms became a superhero

https://twitter.com/naterade009/status/1522081962885849088?s=21&

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No, don't you see. To be a hero, a character must have a penis even if it's a really tiny one.