Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm sure I've mentioned it in this thread but there's a house near me that's just a house frame built around a derelict RV.

I only know that because it used to be 3 walls and a roof around an RV.

There's a few of these on zillow in Washington state. They'll be listed under $100k and typically on lots that restrict use to 120 days/year.

I've seen them in other states on realtor apps, but Washington state always has a few, usually north of Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's a few of these on zillow in Washington state. They'll be listed under $100k and typically on lots that restrict use to 120 days/year.

I've seen them in other states on realtor apps, but Washington state always has a few, usually north of Seattle.

Wow I don't think doxxing kastein is merited

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If he lives in half an RV, that's his own trailure, not mine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I wonder if "lots of Victorian furniture" is still as much of a selling point as it was in the '90s.

*starts vomiting uncontrollably*

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
the deuce of zeus

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

is it nominally a vacation type thing? do they actually restrict usage?

e: I forgot that we live in the future:

Zillow has it at 780 sq ft, last sold ten years ago for $85k.

sigh.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 5, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Who gave that tree a clean bill of health? The late Harold Bornstein?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

Who gave that tree a clean bill of health? The late Harold Bornstein?

What do you mean? Trees naturally grow at a 20 degree angle, coincidentally brushing against but not resting on a nearby roof.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All the foliage coming straight out of the trunk is concerning.

Healthy, stable trees do not do that.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

No it's fine. That's just the equivalent of 'pubic hair' for trees. Perfectly ordinary. Trust me, I've look at a lot of trees.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Look I ate at a pretty dodgy restaurant last night and sometimes things happen. You didn’t have to doxx me.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Cat Hatter posted:

Are they doing a live action remake of the Rocko's Modern Life where a contractor turns every room in his house into a bathroom?

As the only person in my group of friends that regularly references that episode, I appreciated this joke. Thanks.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

value-brand cereal posted:

No it's fine. That's just the equivalent of 'pubic hair' for trees. Perfectly ordinary. Trust me, I've look at a lot of pubic hair.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Platystemon posted:

I think that's how Hexxus died in FernGully.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some of the best trees do that (gingko, plum…)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Gotta trim around the trunk for that optical foot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Platystemon posted:

Really? I actually didn't know that. Got any more details on this? Because I sure love me a good Tree Fact(tm).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

PurpleXVI posted:

Really? I actually didn't know that. Got any more details on this? Because I sure love me a good Tree Fact(tm).

Yeah they are usually called suckers. https://www.loveyourlandscape.org/expert-advice/tree-care/insects-and-disease/dealing-with-tree-suckers/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

And some kinds of trees just like doing it on general principle. Ornamental cherries, for one.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And some kinds of trees just like doing it on general principle. Ornamental cherries, for one.

Yeah plants are loving weird.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

According to on the the foresters in my last ag extension course it's totally normal for a whole lot of trees when they are getting direct sunlight on their trunks. At least in this area, that's really obvious with our most common trees, because the ones in dense woods don't have this but the very same trees 15 feet away where the farm field starts are littered with suckers down to the ground on the sunny side.

I have the same thing going on with a tulip poplar near my house that has become unshaded on one side since taking down a few diseased ash trees.

While I'm sure it can indicate stress, root damage, etc like in the article that was linked this just isn't my experience of the most likely cause. Perhaps it's our local tree varieties.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Armacham posted:

Yeah plants are loving weird.

:emptyquote:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If having branches down there were a good idea, the tree would have done it decades ago.

It’s only recently started to look attractive for the tree. There are a number of things that could have shifted the calculus in this direction (or, technically, the tree’s hormones), some worse than others.

The really bad one would be desperation. Trees can put out this sort of growth as a sort of last gasp, hoping to catch some sunlight and just maybe nurse themselves back from the brink.

I will say that we can see a lot of the upper canopy and it looks pretty good, but maybe it used to be more extensive. If a tree loses a lot of foliage, the hormones that suppress growth in the rest of the tree stop being produced, and buds elsewhere may activate, even ones under thick bark.

If the tree recently lost a limb that was shading the trunk, that would have extra effect: hormonal imbalance from decreased foliage up top, and stimulation from sunlight on the trunk.

Or maybe the was another large tree that came down nearby and exposed the oak’s trunk to sunlight, and our protagonist is merely taking advantage of a windfall. This is the most benign possibility, but still a departure from a stable growing environment.

OP just saw green and decided that was good, when they should instead have sought an explanation for the unusual new growth. For better or worse, something is different now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of, it's still weird to me how cocoa trees have their flowers and fruit just hanging off the main trunk in seemingly random spots.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

If having branches down there were a good idea, the tree would have done it decades ago.

It’s only recently started to look attractive for the tree. There are a number of things that could have shifted the calculus in this direction (or, technically, the tree’s hormones), some worse than others.

The really bad one would be desperation. Trees can put out this sort of growth as a sort of last gasp, hoping to catch some sunlight and just maybe nurse themselves back from the brink.

I will say that we can see a lot of the upper canopy and it looks pretty good, but maybe it used to be more extensive. If a tree loses a lot of foliage, the hormones that suppress growth in the rest of the tree stop being produced, and buds elsewhere may activate, even ones under thick bark.

If the tree recently lost a limb that was shading the trunk, that would have extra effect: hormonal imbalance from decreased foliage up top, and stimulation from sunlight on the trunk.

Or maybe the was another large tree that came down nearby and exposed the oak’s trunk to sunlight, and our protagonist is merely taking advantage of a windfall. This is the most benign possibility, but still a departure from a stable growing environment.

OP just saw green and decided that was good, when they should instead have sought an explanation for the unusual new growth. For better or worse, something is different now.

For THAT tree? 100% It's all bad.

Sorry, my responses were in general, not to what you were saying about that particular dumpster fire which is absolutely going to fall onto the house and is blowing suckers because the roots on the opposite side of the lean were damaged and the thing is unstable as hell right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Computer viking posted:

Speaking of, it's still weird to me how cocoa trees have their flowers and fruit just hanging off the main trunk in seemingly random spots.

Cauliflory

Ironically, the cauliflower is not truly cauliflorous.

Jaboticaba are my favorite example. They look alien and almost unsettling.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Platystemon posted:

Cauliflory

Oh wow, yeah. That looks wrong.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
A lot of trees in central Texas are doing that after having a bunch of branches frozen in the that big freeze over the winter. My parents have at least one tree that maintained some canopy but also sprouted randomly like that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Platystemon posted:

What's the reverse of tryptophobia? Because I just invented it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Danhenge posted:

A lot of trees in central Texas are doing that after having a bunch of branches frozen in the that big freeze over the winter. My parents have at least one tree that maintained some canopy but also sprouted randomly like that.

Sequoia sempervirens can get so fuzzy after fires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nGNqaLFB4Q&t=170s

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That tree is giving off some dog berries vibes.

:nms:

pixaal posted:

I remember one time as a child a kid at school telling me about dog berries, and how they liked to eat the berries from their dog. I asked my mom why our dog didn't make berries and my mom called their mom in alarm. Turned out the dog was an outdoor only dog and full of ticks and the kid was eating their dog's blood gorged ticks.

I bet dog berries are Dracula's favorite fruit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Here is a catalpa sprouting from a log cut on both ends. As you can see, it has taken to to its new lot in life.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 7, 2022

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
The more I learn about trees, the weirder the drat things get.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Thomamelas posted:

Just wait until you learn about their laws.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

Plants can't run away or hunt down their food. So they do a lot of things directly using chemistry, where we use chemistry to move our bodies to do something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

BonerGhost posted:

Plants can't run away or hunt down their food. So they do a lot of things directly using chemistry, where we use chemistry to move our bodies to do something.

Sounds like trees are lazy. Maybe they should pull themselves up by their rootstraps and go out and find a job instead of letting 'chemistry' do all the work for them.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Platystemon posted:

Here is a catalpa sprouting from a log cut on both ends. As you can see, it has taken to to its new lot in life.

Johnny smoker trees are second only to mulberrys in their zest for life.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Platystemon posted:

Cauliflory

Don't lie to me, that's some delta green poo poo. :v:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

canyoneer posted:

That tree is giving off some dog berries vibes.

:nms:

the single nms was vastly insufficient warning for the horrors within that spoiler tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Vim Fuego posted:

the single nms was vastly insufficient warning for the horrors within that spoiler tag

:emptyquote: :barf: