Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Tarn particularly likes the snowy owl person, and called them, "a good chonky floof". We can all agree.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

It’s me I’m the turtle person in da op

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
crab person

CRAB PERSON

even dwarf fortress life finds a way to be crab

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
narwhal person

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
forum full of roachfolk scurrying around trying to avoid classification

animist
Aug 28, 2018
is that a horn on your forehead or are you just happy to see me

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
is that a capybara person omg

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Devlog

Threetoe posted:

Hi, this is Zach. Here's the report for May and the Future of the Fortress reply.

To everyone eagerly reading this blog looking forward to seeing what Tarn has been working on these many months, it may seem like there is little progress as we have had few dev logs along the way. We are going to fix that. Let me tell you about the effort this one man has made to transform 20 years of work on the most complex simulation in gaming into a playable state in a mere three.

This has been far more than an exercise in UI design. We have been adjusting game mechanics, fixing bugs, and generally making this fantasy world generator into a game anyone can pick up and get started right away instead of struggling to learn or decipher with the help of third party apps. I have been testing every aspect of the game one by one and going over them with an aim to improve. In the process, the game has become so much easier I would say you can accomplish your goals in a fraction of the time, minus the headache and progression of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Let me tell you now that we are almost done. We are already over the biggest challenges. All that's left of the UI is a few screens such as the Hauling screen for the planning of minecart tracks, and the placement of track stops and rollers. We really need this for the people who want to make Turing complete computers inside the game but for some reason can't deal with the ASCII.

Just stick with us! It will be soon, depending on your proximity to time.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Bless their hearts they just have to get Turing complete computing correct and then they can release their medieval fantasy world simulator :3:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

tote up a bags posted:

Bless their hearts they just have to get Turing complete computing correct and then they can release their medieval fantasy world simulator :3:

Pretty sure they hit Turing-completeness over 10 years ago.

https://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8269

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 2, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
There was at least a few computers in the 2D era, but I don't know if we got turning complete until 3D for better signal routing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dwarf Fortress: We really need this for the people who want to make Turing complete computers inside the game but for some reason can't deal with the ASCII.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

Dwarf Fortress: We really need this for the people who want to make Turing complete computers inside the game but for some reason can't deal with the ASCII.
It's such a shame there's a limit to the length of titles, because this really would be perfect.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Dwarf Fortress: W R N T F T P W W T M T C C I T G B F S R C D W T ASCII

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Pharnakes posted:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Dwarf Fortress: WRNtftPwWtMTCCItGbfSRCDwtASCII

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
at the same time, the current one is perfect and eternal

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pharnakes posted:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Pharnakes posted:

For a few seconds I thought this was a joke about how many letters you have to press to place and organize a stockpile.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

15 years of singlethread CPU being the only spec I look at while pc shopping because of this game

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

15 years of singlethread CPU being the only spec I look at while pc shopping because of this game
So far as I know, there isn't really any game that's ever been made, which explicitly benefits from all cores running at the same speed over a single fast one and a bunch of slower ones.

Dwarf Fortress still manages to be in a league of its own, though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

So far as I know, there isn't really any game that's ever been made, which explicitly benefits from all cores running at the same speed over a single fast one and a bunch of slower ones.

Yeah threading is hard which is why a lot of games don't do it (although sometimes you get problems with excessive threading like that issue Monster Hunter World's PC release had where it was running so many threads that a significant amount of CPU time was being eaten just managing it), although you do still get the advantage on a multi-core CPU where you can have various background processes running on one core while the game gets one all to itself.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Threading is pure dark arts sorcery. I'm convinced that anyone who actually knows what they're doing with regards to multithreading a game sacrificed some large animal to a demon or sold their soul to a devil for the skill.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zurai posted:

Threading is pure dark arts sorcery. I'm convinced that anyone who actually knows what they're doing with regards to multithreading a game sacrificed some large animal to a demon or sold their soul to a devil for the skill.
* The coder gestured at the CPU!
* The CPU rose from the dead!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah threading is hard which is why a lot of games don't do it (although sometimes you get problems with excessive threading like that issue Monster Hunter World's PC release had where it was running so many threads that a significant amount of CPU time was being eaten just managing it), although you do still get the advantage on a multi-core CPU where you can have various background processes running on one core while the game gets one all to itself.

Zurai posted:

I'm not going to sit here and claim that threading is easy now, but there are things that help.
You've got decades of locking models being well-documented and liberally licensed (ie. can be integrated without even needing to worry about GPL), but more in addition to that you've also got things like ConcurrencyKit and threading sanitizers (LLVM TSAN) that can help you handle a lot of the associated issues around threading itself, that aren't limited to locking, as well as have the compiler help find the locking issues that you wouldn't necessarily discover on your own.

Now, retrofitting a modern toolchain capable of those things onto an existing toolchain for a game? Now that is likely to involve arcane arts and possibly blood sacrifices.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I maintain a 2006 gaming laptop with an absurdly fast 4GHz P4 single core for fun and it's better at playing SimCity 4 than anything else I have- DF runs mostly into RAM problems

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

shame on an IGA posted:

I just assume most games I want to play will be badly optimized for multithreading

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nessus posted:

* The coder gestured at the CPU!
* The CPU rose from the dead!

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

Skyl3lazer posted:

The main reason I'm excited about steam release is the next feature is supposed to be magic and I want it

I was internally planning that I'd finally pick DF up again when the magic release hit, which I deemed at the time to be "pretty soon I hope!" and that was so long ago now I can't even remember when. Invariably what does happen is I get started with great gusto, plan my starting 7 and their complementary jobs really carefully, try to put together a military, then get distracted with other things until the military is finally called upon, at which point they all fight over one sock and nobody does anything and everything gets ruined and I quit again. As much as magic is the feature I look forward to the most, realistically I know I stand a better chance of actually getting anywhere if the steam release makes the military more accessible (which I assume it does?? I've only been following the news piecemeal when a friend links updates)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly I kind of like that magic has been a thing that's been put off so long. I like the low fantasy element of magic existing in the setting but it's not something you can do. It feels very Dwarfy somehow that mages are basically just one more problem you have to deal with because they exclusively come in the form of necromancers constantly making every little bit of dead something on the map come alive and attack you.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd love some kind of rune magic poo poo that lets dwarves imbue weapons and armor with weird effects.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I always assumed that's basically what artifacts already were. Like all the various weird decorations they stick on them are functional in a rune-magic sort of way, which is why they are so powerful. Although it would be fun if that was extended beyond just "it's the best possible sword you can get" to having unique effects. Especially if it could also apply to non weapon/armour artifacts. A cabinet that menaces with spikes of amethyst that passively soothes tantruming dwarves in the same room.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I woudl assume that we'd get crazy off balanced dangerous random effects, like how forgotton beasts can be made out of all sorts of nonsense.

A sword that turns whatever it damages into honey. Boots that make the wearer freeze into a solid block of ice when they step into water, etc.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A table made of blood that if a dwarf thinks unhappy thoughts about, their mouth is removed.

You know, typical dwarfy stuff.

Actually now I want it, because it would basically make every fortress an SCP containment facility.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Can't wait for One Ring type artifact obsession syndromes that cause dorfs to murder each other and then turn into Gollum because somebody made a really good floodgate

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

One quern to rule them all
One quern to find them
One quern to bring them all
And in the darkness grind them

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
A dwarf staring at a legendary artifact lever thinking after all, why shouldn't I pull it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

reignofevil posted:

A dwarf staring at a legendary artifact lever thinking after all, why shouldn't I pull it.
Truly, a question for the ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

But doctor, I am the noble