Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
This was the best Rick and Morty episode ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JT Smiley posted:

The entire soundtrack is on Spotify and I highly recommend giving it a listen.
At the very least listen to Now We’re Cookin'. :allears:

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of new york and bagels, did anyone find all the characters completely unrelatable and unrealistic because they didn't talk about 9/11. It feels like they should have constantly been talking about it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hey now, it's not like this is Turning Red or something.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This movie ruled. I had a rough idea of what I was walking into, but it completely blew away my expectations.

Ke Huy Quan was incredible, Michelle Yeoh was incredible, Stephanie Hsu was incredible. I laughed, I cried, I loved the whole thing.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

A Fancy Hat posted:

This movie ruled. I had a rough idea of what I was walking into, but it completely blew away my expectations.

Seeing this without having even having seen a trailer was an amazing experience, and I particularly love how much of an assault the first sequence is.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Had a long talk with my mom about this movie and how it gave me a new understanding and appreciation for her and how even though we’re not a family of immigrant Chinese there was still a lot of overlap between the film and our poor paycheck to paycheck upbringing and how for lower class economic families you are often forced between pursuing your mental and emotional health and actually paying your bills and keeping food on the table and how just because you’re figuring out your own poo poo doesn’t mean everyone has to put up with you. She was touched and wants to watch the movie now. I’ll probably buy this movie just to own it forever so I can share it with her when it gets a wider release.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
That's beautiful. It seems like this movie is bridging a significant generational divide for a lot of people, I keep seeing stories pop up like "After we watched this together my mom seemed to Get it."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Tangentially related since it's an A24 release, but keep an eye out for Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, another very sweet and optimistic tearjerker coming out next month. It isn't as profound as EEAAO but I feel like they compliment each other.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://gizmodo.com/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-will-fix-problematic-1848880772/amp

This is impossibly stupid. I can’t even begin to imagine how empty your life has to be to have this issue or care

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

https://gizmodo.com/everything-everywhere-all-at-once-will-fix-problematic-1848880772/amp

This is impossibly stupid. I can’t even begin to imagine how empty your life has to be to have this issue or care
It’s not cool to call a Jewish person Big Nose.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Ehhh it did actually give me a moment of pause in the movie, it was the only thing that hit just a little wrong instead of absolutely perfect. It's not a big deal but also it's trivially easy for them to at least change the credits so why shouldn't they?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it's anti-semitic that she has a big nose in the first place

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As a Jewish person myself it flew completely over my head as antisemitic, in part because Jenny Slate does have a big nose and partially because it’s like the most anodyne and completely harmless thing you could say about someone. I feel like bringing attention to it and trying to make it about how the filmmakers failed the Jewish community is generating racism that isn’t there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
At least it's not like Yuma Song being credited as "Korean Girl" instead of being lumped in with the other women cast as "Hot Korean Girls"'in The Interview.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who read credits are freaks

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I'm Jewish too :shrug: different things just hit people differently. I don't see any issue with changing a thing that bothers people if it doesn't make much difference either way.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

At least it's not like Yuma Song being credited as "Korean Girl" instead of being lumped in with the other women cast as "Hot Korean Girls"'in The Interview.

Lol

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

She was a child

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 5, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was going to say, that’s probably why lol.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The real solution is to release the extended edition for streaming

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's still funny to me that the existence of The Interview lead to the biggest leak internal emails and memos of a movie studio ever.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The juicy gossip was practically worth it too, like (then) Sony head Amy Pascal calling Angelina Jolie a “minimally talented spoiled brat,” as well as a “camp event and a celebrity.” :allears:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Seeing this without having even having seen a trailer was an amazing experience, and I particularly love how much of an assault the first sequence is.

I had no idea what kind of movie it was going to be, flat out just said "sure" when a friend asked me to go see a movie. It is indescribable how great an experience I had.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Skwirl posted:

It's still funny to me that the existence of The Interview lead to the biggest leak internal emails and memos of a movie studio ever.

Skwirl posted:

The leaks were clean and rad and powerful.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Sony leaks were like The Man in the High Castle’s journal from a better universe: the 21 Jump Street/Men in Black crossover. EDM Spider-Man.

I mourn what might have been.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE IS AN IMMIGRANT HORROR STORY ABOUT TAX SEASON

Loving all the Asian voices contributing to this film’s ideas and ideas exploration of different parts of the immigrant experience. Really adds a lot to appreciate about the film and it’s dimensions.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

The leaks were clean and rad and powerful.

They said this line in Barry and i laughed my drat rear end off.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cacator posted:

Tangentially related since it's an A24 release, but keep an eye out for Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, another very sweet and optimistic tearjerker coming out next month. It isn't as profound as EEAAO but I feel like they compliment each other.

I saw the trailer and felt like it crossed the border into saccharine, you know, little shell with a child's voice changing the nation or whatever. Let me know if my impression was wrong.

edit: I would have loved to see this

“It was one of the disappointing things of having a movie that was bloated—we had to cut things. A couple of characters had to go and Jenny’s was one of them,” Kwan said to Digital Spy. “They have this little moment where Jenny’s character comes in with a weapon and they struggle over it for a moment and [Evelyn] turns it into a phone and becomes a FaceTime phone call with [Slate’s character’s] family, and her son is begging her to come to his birthday party.”

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Big Nose thing felt like something straight out of my experience working at a little mom & pop Chinese business. I see the case for changing the credits though--it's one thing for a character to do something; it's another for the creators themselves to do it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shageletic posted:

I saw the trailer and felt like it crossed the border into saccharine, you know, little shell with a child's voice changing the nation or whatever. Let me know if my impression was wrong.

it looked like a baby movie for babies

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Shageletic posted:

It's based on a series of internet shorts from a decade ago, also starring Jenny Slate. I would check those out to see if the style of humour is to your liking. I'm usually very repelled by saccharine content but it's far more grounded and emotionally mature than your impression is. (in the movie he's very repulsed by the social media attention)

Mantis42 posted:

It had jokes about tampons and pubes, do babies like those?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 5, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bust Rodd posted:

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE IS AN IMMIGRANT HORROR STORY ABOUT TAX SEASON

Loving all the Asian voices contributing to this film’s ideas and ideas exploration of different parts of the immigrant experience. Really adds a lot to appreciate about the film and it’s dimensions.

Lol

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

So, perfect for this thread

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The Big Nose thing felt like something straight out of my experience working at a little mom & pop Chinese business. I see the case for changing the credits though--it's one thing for a character to do something; it's another for the creators themselves to do it.

But it’s not like the screenwriter went out and called someone a Big Nose, he wrote it as a scene in a movie. The idea that you cannot represent something disrespectful or outdated without some kind of mea culpa or having one of the characters turn to the screen and explain that “Jewish people don’t all have big noses, that’s a stereotype!” just seems excessively silly to me. It’s literally OK if Evelyn is a teensy bit racist, she’s a 50 year old woman whose been working in a laundromat for her entire life, and it lines up with her also being homophobic. She’s flawed! In fact it’s a plot point that she is the shittiest version of herself across all realities!

I just think artists should be able to represent things like racism or sexism or homophobia in modern art without people taking it as some kind of tacit support for that behavior. Taking offense to the “Big Nose” line denotes a lack of media literacy on the audience’s part, IMO, not a lack of sensitivity on the Screenwriter’s part.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

But it’s not like the screenwriter went out and called someone a Big Nose, he wrote it as a scene in a movie. The idea that you cannot represent something disrespectful or outdated without some kind of mea culpa or having one of the characters turn to the screen and explain that “Jewish people don’t all have big noses, that’s a stereotype!” just seems excessively silly to me. It’s literally OK if Evelyn is a teensy bit racist, she’s a 50 year old woman whose been working in a laundromat for her entire life, and it lines up with her also being homophobic. She’s flawed! In fact it’s a plot point that she is the shittiest version of herself across all realities!

I just think artists should be able to represent things like racism or sexism or homophobia in modern art without people taking it as some kind of tacit support for that behavior. Taking offense to the “Big Nose” line denotes a lack of media literacy on the audience’s part, IMO, not a lack of sensitivity on the Screenwriter’s part.

That's what I was saying! In the movie it's the character calling her big nose. In the credits, it's the writers calling her that. I don't even necessarily have a problem with the credits thing, but I see the argument there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“You want me to change Big Nose to Dog Ninja for the streaming release? O… OK”

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The writers listened to the criticism and gave a thoughtful response instead of getting weird and doubling down, I think that's nice.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's also the whole thing about it being a common term for white people broadly in china, not specifically jews. I kind of agree that crediting the character as that is a different story though. Like as bad as the DNS scene in pulp fiction is, it'd be a lot worse if Phil LaMarr was credited that way instead of Marvin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's also the whole thing about it being a common term for white people broadly in china, not specifically jews. I kind of agree that crediting the character as that is a different story though. Like as bad as the DNS scene in pulp fiction is, it'd be a lot worse if Phil LaMarr was credited that way instead of Marvin.

This adds some much needed context, to be honest, and now the whole thing seems even sillier and makes the original complainers seem kind of self-absorbed and solipsistic.

FWIW I think referring to an unnamed character in a movie by the only thing anyone in the movie referred to them is probably just a commonly accepted shorthand and not an insistence upon the filmmakers part that the actress needs a rhinoplasty.