Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It will be an upgrade either way, or would be except it means Matheson is going to play 28 minutes. Dumo is Scuderi level cooked :sigh:

Beaulieu is pretty bad from what I remember so it might not actually be.

e: Looks like Friedman is playing

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/1522348979706548231?s=20&t=KxxfUIfbXg2c4D9ICF70yA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I turned on TNT's pregame so long enough to see them do some sort of weak knockoff of the ESPN "food on set" gimmick and turned it right back off.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
A split was pretty good to get. Pens need to find depth scoring in a bad way.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Gonna need a lot of depth scoring if they're gonna give up 5 goals

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Gonna need a lot of depth scoring if they're gonna give up 5 goals

the upside to that is that at least 2 of those goals can be solved by not playing Michael Matheson so they just need to start there

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah we might have vastly underestimated how much value Dumo was providing by keeping Matheson away from big minutes and tough matchups. Like Dumo looks really bad but part of that is that he's the LD1 going against the other team's best players, who invariably tear Matheson to shreds when they get a chance.

Would honestly rather see Pettersson getting the LD1 minutes, he may not be very good but at least he's not bad in an extremely exploitable way.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 6, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I must be the only one here who likes Math. He's had a good season overall. I don't like him on the first pairing but with Dumoulin out there's not a ton of options there. I think you're out to lunch if you think Pettersson would get any less abused there.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah we might have vastly underestimated how much value Dumo was providing by keeping Matheson away from big minutes and tough matchups. Like Dumo looks really bad but part of that is that he's the LD1 going against the other team's best players, who invariably tear Matheson to shreds when they get a chance.

Would honestly rather see Pettersson getting the LD1 minutes, he may not be very good but at least he's not bad in an extremely exploitable way.

I really do wonder if the coaching/analytics staff sucks so much that they look at his output and go "yeah give that guy top duties" or if that level of analysis just doesn't exist or...

I guess like how can Mike Matheson be so awful and still be so highly regarded
how does this still happen in a "modern" league there are empirical ways to know he sucks and by most of those metrics he loving sucks

and even by the eyeball test he loving sucks

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really do wonder if the coaching/analytics staff sucks so much that they look at his output and go "yeah give that guy top duties" or if that level of analysis just doesn't exist or...

I guess like how can Mike Matheson be so awful and still be so highly regarded
how does this still happen in a "modern" league there are empirical ways to know he sucks and by most of those metrics he loving sucks

and even by the eyeball test he loving sucks

This really isn't true. His analytics have been good all year. Last year what you're saying would have been true. He's cleaned up a lot of the awful mistakes this year.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Dumo finished with solid fancy stats go figure.

I don't disagree that Pettersson gets less abused, but I don't think he makes the insanely lovely pinches and decisions that Matheson makes either. But Matheson can't play with Marino either so like unless you're bringing a lefty to play with him you're up the creek anyways.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
what happened to goodrow? Missed that

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Looking at the box score, it might've looked like the Panthers offense did get back on track and run over the Caps like everyone expected. But the shots were 21-8 in favor of the Caps a long time into the 2nd period. The Caps have been shutting down the Panthers really well, but got let down by their goaltender in the first two periods and just didn't try at all in the third. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in game 3.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matheson is extremely good on the puck, on offense and defense. He's a physical beast, skates well, and has excellent coordination. Off the puck, however, he has absolutely no instincts whatsoever. He's totally, hopelessly lost, has no feel for the flow of play, has no idea about positioning, and makes the exact same mistakes over and over, which good teams and good players make a point of abusing. That's why he can do a job in a lower pairing, sheltered role but is a disaster if he has to take on the big boys.

I honestly don't know why he's a defenseman or ever was a defenseman. Seems to me like he'd be more natural in a tightly scripted Physical Winger type of role.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Cause he can skate so well and join the rush and that's great when you can dominate in leagues not the NHL.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

anyways rangers have to figure out how to tighten up their D

maybe it's the pens execution but just see a ton of not picking up players, guys left open, etc. Huge part is probably not getting enough back checking pressure from the forwards so the Pens can back the Rangers D in and create confusion if the Rangers forwards aren't back to help break things up.

probably goes hand in hand with pittsburgh's game plan of home run passes to create fast rushes up the ice

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Pungry posted:

Looking at the box score, it might've looked like the Panthers offense did get back on track and run over the Caps like everyone expected. But the shots were 21-8 in favor of the Caps a long time into the 2nd period. The Caps have been shutting down the Panthers really well, but got let down by their goaltender in the first two periods and just didn't try at all in the third. Gonna be interesting to see what happens in game 3.

They’re gonna get let down by their goaltending again OP

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

One of Sullivan' strategies is definitely have the winger fly the zone to push the defense back and use either a home run pass or cross corner dump even if it's icing to exert pressure on the defense and force those defenders to sprint constantly and be too tired to take the rest of their o zone deployments and get a different matchup that might be less good at scoring.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

One of Sullivan' strategies is definitely have the winger fly the zone to push the defense back and use either a home run pass or cross corner dump even if it's icing to exert pressure on the defense and force those defenders to sprint constantly and be too tired to take the rest of their o zone deployments and get a different matchup that might be less good at scoring.

yeah I think the Rangers have also been turning the puck over in bad spots in the offensive zone to allow those plays a bit much

we'll see how it goes, feels like not a ton of defense being played by either team so far

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The Pens defensive system and plan is predicated on doing everything possible to not be in the defensive zone ever. It doesn't seem to me that Gallant has adjusted to Sullivan's tweaks which has definitely allowed the Pens to take New York apart better.

That said creating tons of decent/good chances and sometimes even bunches of super good chances the finish has not been there. If the Penguins can find any goals 5v5 from not Sid's line look out... assuming also they aren't having to play their 3rd string.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The Pens defensive system and plan is predicated on doing everything possible to not be in the defensive zone ever. It doesn't seem to me that Gallant has adjusted to Sullivan's tweaks which has definitely allowed the Pens to take New York apart better.

That said creating tons of decent/good chances and sometimes even bunches of super good chances the finish has not been there. If the Penguins can find any goals 5v5 from not Sid's line look out... assuming also they aren't having to play their 3rd string.

I think it's obvious that when the Rangers get going it's because they either sort out their forecheck or can carry the puck in well. Especially if they can soft dump it, the Pens D have been fumbling the puck a LOT when retrieving it.

So they probably know what they want to do and how to take that away from the Pens, they just haven't been able to do it quite often enough

and yeah again I think they go as far as Crosby and his line can take them

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Pens have Crosby's line which tries to score, and three other lines which try to kill time, ideally in the attacking rather than defending zone, until Crosby Guentzel and Rust have enough wind to get back out there. That's all the Penguins' forwards do right now. The lines that don't include Geno and Kap are pretty drat good at it. But you're not going to get far with only one line that can score at all.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 6, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

what happened to goodrow? Missed that

G was talking about Lindgren being a GTD and a mystery player as well. Turns out Goodrow was that mystery player.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Pens have Crosby's line which tries to score, and three other lines which try to kill time, ideally in the attacking rather than defending zone, until Crosby Guentzel and Rust have enough wind to get back out there. That's all the Penguins' forwards do right now.

it's gonna bite me in the rear end to say this but gently caress it he already scored the OT winning goal...but I'm kinda shocked at how mediocre Malkin looks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/MollieeWalkerr/status/1522394896212152321

Woof, thats not great

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

I really don't understand the value in this guy. He gets like 10 goals a year and the Rangers decided to pay him big time and give him an A. And now they miss him when he's gone.

What does he do?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I really don't understand the value in this guy. He gets like 10 goals a year and the Rangers decided to pay him big time and give him an A. And now they miss him when he's gone.

What does he do?

He both wants it and leads

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Goodrow has been fine. A bit overpaid and term too long but he's a good bottom six forward who can play up a line to give it a kick of "hard work" when it needs it

Losing him for the playoffs sucks because the Rangers bottom six could really use him

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Skipping game 1 and going to the Panthers/Caps game tonight was definitely the right move. Probably won’t have much of a voice tomorrow, but drat that was a bunch of fun.

Still can’t get over how awful we looked the first 15 minutes though, sheesh.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What does he do?

I had thought he was one of those random third liners that has one monster playoffs and gets paid forever but apparently I imagined that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Domingue was fine tonight despite giving up 5. Kept them in long enough to potentially win the game. They just couldn't score.

It's a real tall ask to keep running him out there against Shesterkin, though. That said their biggest issues so far have been depth scoring and dealing with the Rangers' powerplay.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

They’re gonna get let down by their goaltending again OP

I’m ready for some playoff Samsonov flailing, gently caress it, put his rear end in and let’s see what happens!

:shepface:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars, baby! Flames going out.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
through two games, the stars and flames have combined for sixteen high danger chances

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sutter v. Bowness hockey is the worst thing I've ever seen.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Caps definitely have the potential to lose this series in 6. Better than I thought!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/ineffectivemath/status/1522550914174832640?s=21&t=5BZWIOG1MRp7vTLveCs8KA

Jesus Christ

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I tried watching that game last night and it put me right to sleep so I appreciated that.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Ditto... I've got a toddler who's sleep regressing hard but I fell asleep with 10 minutes left in the 3rd.

Playoffs baby.... Zzzzzzzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Spelling Mitsake posted:

What does he do?

I don't think anyone in RAS had issue with his cap hit, just the stupid amount of term he was given.

He was surprisingly pretty good in the bottom 6 and he's very flexible as to where you can move him up and down the lineup. Its a pretty big hit depth wise for the Rangers, especially with Motte out.