Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
so do we just die when the insects are gone in a few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Samuel Glompers posted:

Can microplastics penetrate the pores of the skin, I wonder? When I shower, do the bristles of my plastic scrub brush deposit lil plastic pebbles into each pore?

micro, maybe? nano, yes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7920297/#sec2-nanomaterials-11-00496title

as much as i post about this poo poo and speculate, the reality is very little is actually known because biological research is really loving hard and there's just such a vast array of problems, and generally unknown or poor baselines. however ultimately it doesn't take a genius to go "hey yeah this is probably pretty bad" for everything, including humans. but also your individual action doesn't matter here and there's literally zero avoidance. i honestly just don't think much about it in my general day-to-day activities other than wistfully lolling once in awhile at how stupid everything is because it's unavoidable.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

first move tengen posted:

get ready to be a manual pollinator to feed the rich

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cloks posted:

get ready to be a manual pollinator to feed the rich

Nah, we just turn the poor into Soylent Green to feed the rich.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

first move tengen posted:

yeah pretty much, more or less. insects are the foundation underpinning the ecosystem. humans can truck along a little awhile without them by burning unholy amounts of fossil fuels, but it's largely just a bandaid to a septic wound

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
God I feel so bad for people with children but at the same time you kind of should have known

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-Paine posted:

God I feel so bad for people with children but at the same time you kind of should have known

yeah it’s gonna be horrible :magical:

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Xaris posted:

micro, maybe? nano, yes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7920297/#sec2-nanomaterials-11-00496title

as much as i post about this poo poo and speculate, the reality is very little is actually known because biological research is really loving hard and there's just such a vast array of problems, and generally unknown or poor baselines. however ultimately it doesn't take a genius to go "hey yeah this is probably pretty bad" for everything, including humans. but also your individual action doesn't matter here and there's literally zero avoidance. i honestly just don't think much about it in my general day-to-day activities other than wistfully lolling once in awhile at how stupid everything is because it's unavoidable.

Oh hell yeah, here I was worried about micro and we're going n a n o. Man why fight it. Time to vacuum my cheap ikea rugs with the windows closed and breathe as hard as I can

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

T-Paine posted:

But people endured worse in the past, so clearly that means signing up to endless hardship imposed by this system for profit, with your reward being someone to bear witness your death by dehydration and bring your emaciated but bloating corpse to the mass grave.

I'm exaggerating (I think, I hope...), but that's pretty much the argument I get whenever I remind my parents I'm not having kids and this is why. Sure raising them now is hell, and true hell awaits those kids in the future, but hey I wanted grandkids you gently caress.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

skooma512 posted:

But people endured worse in the past,
I hate this argument, because they shouldn't have had kids during those times either

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
https://twitter.com/ZLabe/status/1522354293013159940

we did it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
don't drink the water, don't you breathe the air

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

just open a window

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

RandomBlue posted:

just open a window

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

5% increase in a decade? weak, sad, we can do better than that c'mon people rev those engines

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://twitter.com/RamonaMassachi/status/1522205813628092418?s=20&t=XaHYuvsFN28O2Tx9XhRMTA

The only thing this society can plan for in advance is that it is for sure NOT going to do anything about climate change.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Number must go up

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

T-Paine posted:

I hate this argument, because they shouldn't have had kids during those times either

when people make the "Things used to be worse" argument they are usually talking about either their romanticized idea of poo poo like their childhood or frontier times or they are going back to medieval times when we had plagues and mass famines on a more regular basis when there was no modern medicine. Nerds might bring up something like the bronze age collapse.

Global biosphere collapse is a mass extinction which humans have never lived through. There was never a point before now where people had their children and then experienced a complete collapse of the global biosphere. Unless you count dinosaurs and trilobites having children.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stupid loving dinosaurs thought we wouldn't finish the job if they got all tiny and cute. Assholes got lucky 66 million years ago, but we're way worse than some dumb asteroid.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

one massive, plastic, meteor

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Rectal Death Adept posted:

when people make the "Things used to be worse" argument they are usually talking about either their romanticized idea of poo poo like their childhood or frontier times or they are going back to medieval times when we had plagues and mass famines on a more regular basis when there was no modern medicine. Nerds might bring up something like the bronze age collapse.

Global biosphere collapse is a mass extinction which humans have never lived through. There was never a point before now where people had their children and then experienced a complete collapse of the global biosphere. Unless you count dinosaurs and trilobites having children.

The people who make this argument are fundamentally incapable of comprehending or admitting that this is what is happening.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Hexigrammus posted:

I probably shouldn't post about this since when it comes to chaos theory I'm straight outta of the New Guinea bush discussing airport design. There's a school of thought that thinks natural systems are chaotic. A system will "orbit" around a node for a time giving the appearance of stability and balance, then magic poo poo perturbations happen, knocking the system into orbiting another node of "stability".

These thoughts are not popular with population modellers who spend their time trying find more variables to plug into their models so they can predict how much wildlife we can kill next year.

Ya. That's the thing. Projecting equilibrium and order and balance into 'nature' is just theological hangover poo poo.

This is (yet another) reason why we just can't grok the scope and scale of this calamity. We have no immediate historical comparison, and all of our folk-metaphors for causality got carried over into the empirical practices at first. It's only pretty recently (late 20c) that we've developed causal models that don't have all kinds of silly Holocene assumptions baked in.

...just in time for us to be able to really understand how totally we have hosed ourselves.

Ecosystems reproduce themselves only chaotically. There's no equilibrium, no focal point of balance and order. It's just mutating overshooters overshooting mutating overshooters. That it ever even looked 'balanced' was just a projection from limited anthropocentric timescales, a crude stopgap to try to make the chaos meaningful for us.

Unfortunately, practically everyone in environmental politics is still using some kind of folk-concept of 'Nature' to understand our predicament. There is no glorious anprim paradise after this - if capitalism collapsed tomorrow, the biosphere would still be undergoing a mass extinction event and a drastic Post-Holocene phase change, maybe just a little slower and with slightly less of a percentage of overall biodiversity wiped out.

skooma512 posted:

https://twitter.com/RamonaMassachi/status/1522205813628092418?s=20&t=XaHYuvsFN28O2Tx9XhRMTA

The only thing this society can plan for in advance is that it is for sure NOT going to do anything about climate change.

Truly incredible stuff. Just tremendous content.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 03:26 on May 6, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

emTme3 posted:

Ecosystems reproduce themselves only chaotically. There's no equilibrium, no focal point of balance and order. It's just mutating overshooters overshooting mutating overshooters. That it ever even looked 'balanced' was just a projection from limited anthropocentric timescales, a crude stopgap to try to make the chaos meaningful for us.
so my nitpick against this is yes, its chaotic, but its chaotic with say a known input of energy (solar radiation) into the snowglobe. natural entropic decay with an constant energy input providing entropic reversal on a thermodynamic-level. on a human-level timescale it's pretty static, resources grow, consumed, and regenerated in a sort of biomass-balance. it is overlapping local overshoots of say a sudden fungus or fox or a weed, but that's more the minutiae. there is overall a thermodynamic balance, and even a sort of ecological balance even if chaotic. what humans did was discovered a secret pocket of hundreds of millions of years of energy tucked away in the closet and in less than a span of a hundred years used it all up to explode in population, like a fox discovering a land of chickens, and we opened it up to disastrous results. the results of the pandoras box of dumping hundreds of millions of years of energy instantaneously ain't going away anytime soon.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

most of them are just repeating what other people told them when they, at some point in their lives, said they didn't want children. the amount of people that actually think critically about this poo poo is near zero.

If you want a refresher on how much most people are just sleepwalking through life, someone in the COVID thread said they were asked to remove their mask at an airport terminal because it had an exhaust valve on it... after the mask mandate was lifted and the whole line behind them was maskless.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Xaris posted:

so my nitpick against this is yes, its chaotic, but its chaotic with say a known input of energy (solar radiation) into the snowglobe. natural entropic decay with an constant energy input providing entropic reversal on a thermodynamic-level. on a human-level timescale it's pretty static, resources grow, consumed, and regenerated in a sort of biomass-balance. it is overlapping local overshoots of say a sudden fungus or fox or a weed, but that's more the minutiae. there is overall a thermodynamic balance, and even a sort of ecological balance even if chaotic. what humans did was discovered a secret pocket of hundreds of millions of years of energy tucked away in the closet and in less than a span of a hundred years used it all up to explode in population, like a fox discovering a land of chickens, and we opened it up to disastrous results. the results of the pandoras box of dumping hundreds of millions of years of energy instantaneously ain't going away anytime soon.

I would argue that on a long enough timescale, even this overall thermodynamic balance is unstable. It's not that it isn't there, it's that there is no underlying reason for it to be there. It's a pseudo anti-entropic accident, built out of trillions of other little accidents.

But ya - there is a planetary photosynthetic energy threshold underneath which no species could ever do a mass extinction event, but we left that behind when capital met fossil fuels. Since then, the only chance for long-term civilizational survival has been to get back under that limit in any way possible - high-tech non-FF sources of energy + long-term planning and conscious downscaling. We're doing the opposite of that, as hard as we can.

Fossil fuels were something that a sapient species with a future would have carefully rationed. Hindsight sure is a bitch.

emTme3 has issued a correction as of 03:37 on May 6, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you want a refresher on how much most people are just sleepwalking through life, someone in the COVID thread said they were asked to remove their mask at an airport terminal because it had an exhaust valve on it... after the mask mandate was lifted and the whole line behind them was maskless.

my favorite version of this is people talking or showing off their respirators on reddit, etc and people yelling at them cause YOU ARENT PROTECTING OTHERS and its like ... loving 1/20 people are wearing masks at all now you loving morons.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

silicone thrills posted:

my favorite version of this is people talking or showing off their respirators on reddit, etc and people yelling at them cause YOU ARENT PROTECTING OTHERS and its like ... loving 1/20 people are wearing masks at all now you loving morons.

I've never met anyone in real life who gave me poo poo for my respirator because it "wasn't protecting other people" so I do wonder where the gently caress these people are hiding. like plenty of chuds trying to roast me but never any libs libbing at me. are they caving???

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I've never met anyone in real life who gave me poo poo for my respirator because it "wasn't protecting other people" so I do wonder where the gently caress these people are hiding. like plenty of chuds trying to roast me but never any libs libbing at me. are they caving???

They're too loving weak to say anything off fb and reddit. But also, same. i've never had anyone irl say a word about mine either. Lotta weird looks. alot of wide space on the widewalk but not a word.

With all these future wildfires getting worse, we all are gonna want respirators. We're just ahead of the curve.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Rime posted:

From the AI Art thread:

The Butcher posted:

I opened my eyes, and I looked upon the face of creation.

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 04:21 on May 6, 2022

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

With all these future wildfires getting worse, we all are gonna want respirators. We're just ahead of the curve.

poo poo you're right about that eh

Got any budget rec's? Like $50~100 max ideally

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Samuel Glompers posted:

3M Secure Click + P100 (Magenta) carts

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cloks posted:

3M Secure Click + P100 (Magenta) carts

Seconded

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Thirded.

https://www.zoro.com/3m-filter-magenta-push-to-connect-pr-d3097/i/G5758086/?q=secureclick

https://www.zoro.com/3m-half-mask-respirator-silicone-gray-hf-802sd/i/G5775455/?recommended=true

Grainger and digikey also sell them.

Dont buy from amazon. They frequently send out fake poo poo because of the way they mix 3rd party vendor goods with genuine goods. Huge issue. Linked a medium mask but there's a small and a large. 3ms website has some measurements you can take to try to get poo poo accurate.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I might also recommend that if you buy P100 you also splurge for OV/AG:

https://www.zoro.com/3m-combination-cartridgefilter-magenta-pr-d80923/i/G5774667/

better protection from the rain and you can bring them to protests or w/e. and do that thing where you take the mask off and everything suddenly smells really sharp

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Samuel Glompers posted:

The covid thread OP has some great resources on respirators.

3m secure click or honeywell 7700 are my two recommendations.

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Thanks goons :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
what a great forum. the different communities coming together to help each other is so heartwarming. the people who need a respirator to breathe in the acrid smoke of the endlessly burning dying planet can rely on the advice from the people protecting themselves from the deadly highly transmissible respiratory pandemic spreading unchecked through the population. really makes you optimistic about the future