Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
video quality for like, all kinds of cars has gone up to a very high degree so if you're comparing a 5 or 10 years ago experience it's not gonna be the same. I can find great videos of people working on pretty much anything nowadays, especially if it's weird.

How much weight are you trying to tow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

video quality for like, all kinds of cars has gone up to a very high degree so if you're comparing a 5 or 10 years ago experience it's not gonna be the same. I can find great videos of people working on pretty much anything nowadays, especially if it's weird.

How much weight are you trying to tow?

It'll be a pop up that I'm aiming to keep under 2500 lbs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I also asked in the new car thread, but anyone here with a new civic LX or that has experience to compare between the LX and the higher trims? A local dealer has an LX hatch that isn't spoken for and I might put my name on it. I don't like base models but my girlfriend apparently does not give a poo poo about bells and whistles so this might actually be great for her.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronash posted:

It'll be a pop up that I'm aiming to keep under 2500 lbs.

I know you already said you had an Equinox, but you're aware there's v6 versions with extra tow capacity, right? 3500 pounds. It's the best tow capacity of any compact SUV we could find that was sold in the US since 2010 (maybe earlier but that's how back we were comparison shopping for ourselves, late last year).

2010–2012 3.0 L High Feature LF1 or LFW V6, 264 hp, 222 lb·ft
2013–2017 3.6 L High Feature LFX V6, 301 hp, 272 lb·ft

Prior to 2010, they all had a V6, so you maybe already knew this: all of the 2008-9 models had a 3.4 or 3.6 v6 with the same 3500lbs capacity, and 2005-7 models all had that 3.4L too.

There's also a volvo that gets close, but don't buy a compact volvo SUV.

Virtually all your other choices that are 2010+ are:
1. 1500lbs max tow capacity, or
2. midsize or bigger, or
3. a pickup truck, not an SUV

Once you get to a midsize+ SUV, a lot of them have at least an on-paper tow capacity above 2k, with some notable (and sometimes baffling) exceptions. Definitely avoid the ones with a CVT (which means almost all modern subarus, for example).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 5, 2022

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I'm looking at swapping my 2018 Santa Fe for a 2018 Fusion Hybrid for some savings on fuel, taxes, etc. So far the financials look fine, but I'm trying to look ahead to the future complexities, i.e. replacing the hybrid battery eventually. I notice it's hard to dig up any solid information for this era of the Fusion Hybrid. Is this just because we haven't seen the original batteries really age out yet or is there another factor I'm missing? I'm hoping you smart goons here can shed more light.

For what it's worth, I called the local Ford dealer and got an estimate of $9000 for replacement (parts and labor). The battery pack alone was listed at $7600. I expect thousands, but that seems absurd. I'm going to make some more calls, but that's the only data point I have so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Anecdote: When the Prius came out, the HV battery was an $8,000 replacement part. Now a complete Gen 2 reman HV battery is like $1200, and there are places that will just replace cells for less. A reman HV battery for the through-2015 Fusion is $3,000.

By the time your car is remotely close to needing a HV replacement, I expect that the cost will be somewhere around 30% of what the dealer is quoting you today. Plus, most hybrids never have the HV battery replaced.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Explosionface posted:

I'm looking at swapping my 2018 Santa Fe for a 2018 Fusion Hybrid for some savings on fuel, taxes, etc. So far the financials look fine, but I'm trying to look ahead to the future complexities, i.e. replacing the hybrid battery eventually. I notice it's hard to dig up any solid information for this era of the Fusion Hybrid. Is this just because we haven't seen the original batteries really age out yet or is there another factor I'm missing? I'm hoping you smart goons here can shed more light.

For what it's worth, I called the local Ford dealer and got an estimate of $9000 for replacement (parts and labor). The battery pack alone was listed at $7600. I expect thousands, but that seems absurd. I'm going to make some more calls, but that's the only data point I have so far.

How much savings are you talking about here? Have you actually ran the numbers? On paper the Fusion will get 42mpg vs 21 in the Santa Fe, but how much do you drive and how much actual dollars will you be saving?

edit: In your use case the savings may be significant, and I'm not making GBS threads on your idea, but there's been a lot of posters come through over the years assuming they were going to be saving a ton of money, when in fact it's like a couple hundred bucks a year at best, so I always ask if they've run the actual numbers or not.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 5, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Anecdote: When the Prius came out, the HV battery was an $8,000 replacement part. Now a complete Gen 2 reman HV battery is like $1200, and there are places that will just replace cells for less. A reman HV battery for the through-2015 Fusion is $3,000.

By the time your car is remotely close to needing a HV replacement, I expect that the cost will be somewhere around 30% of what the dealer is quoting you today. Plus, most hybrids never have the HV battery replaced.

Does a Prius need a new battery at 100, 200, or 300k miles assuming 20k miles a year

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

skipdogg posted:

How much savings are you talking about here? Have you actually ran the numbers? On paper the Fusion will get 42mpg vs 21 in the Santa Fe, but how much do you drive and how much actual dollars will you be saving?

edit: In your use case the savings may be significant, and I'm not making GBS threads on your idea, but there's been a lot of posters come through over the years assuming they were going to be saving a ton of money, when in fact it's like a couple hundred bucks a year at best, so I always ask if they've run the actual numbers or not.

I commute every day about 40 miles each way.
I ran some numbers and I'm looking on the order of $2k a year. I ran a spreadsheet before even seeing this car looking at the viability of the idea in general and have been able to put more concrete values in over the past couple days.

and the hybrid idea came from I need to be able to transport a few children every day to daycare, so I need something larger than a tiny econobox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Does a Prius need a new battery at 100, 200, or 300k miles assuming 20k miles a year

it borders on completely random, but expect longer, not shorter. I knew a guy who had one poo poo out literally just before the 80k emissions warranty ended (so Toyota covered it), and yet there are countless taxi Priuses with 300k on the original HV pack.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I don't have data on it but the 300k mile survival rate is more than zero, and I expect that the 100k mile survival rate is pretty close to 100%. If I were buying a used Prius I'd be at least mentally and financially prepared to shell out ~2K on a full replacement pack and if you never need to or you can get by with a cheaper cell replacement, great.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Explosionface posted:

I commute every day about 40 miles each way.
I ran some numbers and I'm looking on the order of $2k a year. I ran a spreadsheet before even seeing this car looking at the viability of the idea in general and have been able to put more concrete values in over the past couple days.

and the hybrid idea came from I need to be able to transport a few children every day to daycare, so I need something larger than a tiny econobox.

Sure, if you're driving 21,000+ miles a year go for it.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Proposed Budget: $18,000 down-payment with monthly payment around $300-400.
New
Body Style: Compact Hatchback 4 door.
How will you be using the car?: City driving and the occasional monthly day trip on the weekend.
What aspects are most important to you?: At least 30 mpg, complimentary scheduled maintenance, comfortable driving in city and highway, safety features (I'm a new driver) like blindspot detection, lane departure, fog lights. Don't care so much about 0 to 60 or speed in general.

Is this unrealistic? My current top pick is a 2022 Honda Civic Sport hatchback; EX seems like overkill.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're a new driver save yourself $10,000 and buy a used car to get into your first wreck with

I can tell you you're driving around a 1 and a half ton cruise missile that's just barely stuck to the ground, but until your tires come unglued from the ground in traffic those words are going to go in one ear and out the other. Better to ball up someone else's new car, used, than your pride and joy

You're gonna ignore that so yes a civic or a corolla are good choices. Get a 4 door you'll thank me later. No EX is not overkill

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Wrong thread

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Hadlock posted:

If you're a new driver save yourself $10,000 and buy a used car to get into your first wreck with

I can tell you you're driving around a 1 and a half ton cruise missile that's just barely stuck to the ground, but until your tires come unglued from the ground in traffic those words are going to go in one ear and out the other. Better to ball up someone else's new car, used, than your pride and joy

You're gonna ignore that so yes a civic or a corolla are good choices. Get a 4 door you'll thank me later. No EX is not overkill

OK, I can see some 2015-2019 used Honda Civic EXs on KBB which sell at $19,000 and under with 50,000-90,000 miles. To me that sounds like a lot of miles, but I get the impression from the OP that the miles don't matter as much as looking at the owner's manual and researching the common problems with these cars that I should check for.

E: It doesn't help that used cars are overpriced - some of these models cost more than new.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 6, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

quarantinethepast posted:

complimentary scheduled maintenance

Realize that unless you're driving 20k miles a year and/or you buy a Ferrari, the "scheduled maintenance" on a new car will be one, maybe two oil changes per year.

Spend the money if you want to spend it, but for "first car" and those requirements even in this turbofucked market, your down payment can buy a perfectly good used Civic / Corolla / Mazda3 / Prius outright. You won't come anywhere near $300/mo in maintenance or even (rare) major unplanned failures, averaged out across five+ years.

And yes, used cars that are near-new are priced above new cars, because you can get them now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

quarantinethepast posted:

OK, I can see some 2015-2019 used Honda Civic EXs on KBB which sell at $19,000 and under with 50,000-90,000 miles. To me that sounds like a lot of miles, but I get the impression from the OP that the miles don't matter as much as looking at the owner's manual and researching the common problems with these cars that I should check for.

E: It doesn't help that used cars are overpriced - some of these models cost more than new.

If I was buying a Civic that wasn't a Si or R, I'd probably buy God's Own Trim which is the Civic Sport 6MT for $25K MSRP. You get a factory warranty and it's a new car. With your budget you can easily swing that.

The downside is you will definitely crash so what I advise is not to buy a 10k car to crash, but to borrow someone else's car and crash it. Then you've got that out of the way.

In all seriousness, better to get in a crash in a new car with a bunch of safety features. Just make sure you aren't upside down on the loan.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If I was buying a Civic that wasn't a Si or R, I'd probably buy God's Own Trim which is the Civic Sport 6MT for $25K MSRP. You get a factory warranty and it's a new car. With your budget you can easily swing that.

The downside is you will definitely crash so what I advise is not to buy a 10k car to crash, but to borrow someone else's car and crash it. Then you've got that out of the way.

In all seriousness, better to get in a crash in a new car with a bunch of safety features. Just make sure you aren't upside down on the loan.

And make sure the crash isn't so bad that your car literally ends up upside down, this will total it.

(I say this as someone that crashed their first car. It does happen. Nowadays I would be extremely surprised if I caused an at-fault accident with the skills I've learned, but back then I just sucked)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Losing one headlight and setting off the airbags is enough to total most cars these days

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Oh for sure, it's a miracle I didn't die in the early days of my youth driving. I presume people who come to it later in life are more cautious and less stupid.

You'll get in an accident at some point, it's an inevitability. Skills (particularly Paying Attention) can help avoid accidents or mitigate their severity. Safety features are another good layer on top of that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Driving the speed limit helps a lot

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've had many more dreams about crashing than real crashes. I'm not sure what that means TBH.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I've had many more dreams about crashing than real crashes. I'm not sure what that means TBH.

its your body telling you to gtfo wny

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

its your body telling you to gtfo wny

never why do you hate good chicken wings

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Korean wings are better dudes it’s not even close

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Korean wings are better dudes it’s not even close

But is there Korean beef on weck or sponge candy? Didn't think so!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

What … what does weck mean

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

What … what does weck mean

It means you're eating a delicious loving sandwich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

And yes, used cars that are near-new are priced above new cars, because you can get them now.

Yup. It's a really poo poo time to not be able to wait if you need a new car.

I got my name on a Civic LX hatchback at MSRP today. Should have it next month so that'll be nice and my Prius will easily get my girlfriend by until then. It's word from the dealer so it's probably flat out wrong but they said there's a component on the new Civic that's manufactured in Ukraine and it's royally messing with production and delivery of the civic.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

KillHour posted:

But is there Korean beef on weck or sponge candy? Didn't think so!
Don't forget about the good mustard.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've never had an accident

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I crashed an Austin Métro when I was 17 because I didn't realise my shoelaces were caught in the door and I couldn't brake AMA

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KillHour posted:

It means you're eating a delicious loving sandwich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_on_weck

I'm sure its not a totally exclusive as gently caress thing that can only be found there, but I've never seen it anywhere but in Western New York and the Niagara Peninsula.

gently caress, now I'm hungry for one of those MFs.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

knox_harrington posted:

I crashed an Austin Métro when I was 17 because I didn't realise my shoelaces were caught in the door and I couldn't brake AMA
How did it start moving?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

zedprime posted:

How did it start moving?

Probably a right hand drive. Gas (petrol) pedal is closer to the door

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
Posting for a friend who is not a goon (I told him how this place helped me find a pacifica under MSRP).

He has a 20-year-old civic (manual transmission) that has a head gasket issue. biking isn't an option and public transit would be a 3-hour commute.

Proposed Budget: 20k-30k. Less is obviously better.
New or Used: Whatever
Body Style: Whatever
How will you be using the car?: Commuter to work (Boston suburb to Boston suburb). Pick up groceries. Maybe a passenger or two on rare occasions.
What aspects are most important to you?
Must have:
- Reliable. Can get to and from work. Will turn on when the key starts. Won't break down after 10 years in new england weather (salted road, etc).
- Good maneuverability (think civic or miata)
- Can handle Boston winters. AWD isn't a must because he's of the mentality "it's great if you can drive in the snow/ice, but you still need to be able to brake"
Nice to have:
- Manual transmission (stick)
- Racing seats
- Easy to park in Boston
- Would be nice to keep its value

His first choice was another civic but they all seem to be 7k+ over MSRP. Right now he's looking at if he could just get one custom built at MSRP and use a zipcar or whatever as he waits.

He's thinking of a FIT but they were discontinued stateside, so he'll have to ship that from Europe.

A Corolla is obviously on the table but equally hard to find.

He's ok with a plugin hybrid even though it won't be manual. But he doesn't want a full electric because he doesn't have a garage and doesn't like the idea of outdoor charging stations.

He mentioned looking into a Kia Niro.

I mentioned Hyundai Accent to him.

He's possibly interested in a Miata but is unsure if the lack of a trunk will be an issue (groceries in back seat, luggage when driving to the airport etc). He's also wondering how it handles in the winter.

We are assuming impreza aren't reliable after 100k because of rust issues due to Mew England salted roads.

diadem fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 6, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you cannot ship a Fit in from Europe so toss that in the garbage heap. like yes there are technically SOME ways and means but it's very unlikely your friend has access to any of them so disabuse them of that idea ASAP.

Did you actually shop around on the Civic? Dealer adjustments are high, but in my experience in Greater Boston not THAT high, more like 10% of MSRP these days. Talk to a dealer about buying a Civic on allocation rather than off the lot. The Mazda3 and Corolla are also good choices for stick shift econoboxes. If you're steering them to Hyundai, the Elantra is much better than the Accent; not sure if it's still available in stick, though.

Edit: Imprezas aren't quite Toyota tier reliable but they're perfectly reliable. All cars rust in New England.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

diadem posted:

Posting for a friend who is not a goon (I told him how this place helped me find a pacifica under MSRP).

He has a 20-year-old civic (manual transmission) that has a head gasket issue. biking isn't an option and public transit would be a 3-hour commute.

Proposed Budget: 20k-30k. Less is obviously better.
New or Used: Whatever
Body Style: Whatever
How will you be using the car?: Commuter to work (Boston suburb to Boston suburb). Pick up groceries. Maybe a passenger or two on rare occasions.
What aspects are most important to you?
Must have:
- Reliable. Can get to and from work. Will turn on when the key starts. Won't break down after 10 years in new england weather (salted road, etc).
- Good maneuverability (think civic or miata)
- Can handle Boston winters. AWD isn't a must because he's of the mentality "it's great if you can drive in the snow/ice, but you still need to be able to brake"
Nice to have:
- Manual transmission (stick)
- Racing seats
- Easy to park in Boston
- Would be nice to keep its value

His first choice was another civic but they all seem to be 7k+ over MSRP. Right now he's looking at if he could just get one custom built at MSRP and use a zipcar or whatever as he waits.

He's thinking of a FIT but they were discontinued stateside, so he'll have to ship that from Europe.

A Corolla is obviously on the table but equally hard to find.

He's ok with a plugin hybrid even though it won't be manual. But he doesn't want a full electric because he doesn't have a garage and doesn't like the idea of outdoor charging stations.

He mentioned looking into a Kia Niro.

I mentioned Hyundai Accent to him.

He's possibly interested in a Miata but is unsure if the lack of a trunk will be an issue (groceries in back seat, luggage when driving to the airport etc). He's also wondering how it handles in the winter.

We are assuming impreza aren't reliable after 100k because of rust issues due to Mew England salted roads.

Miata is a bad commuter car when there’s winter involved. I drove one for 6 years in New England and I’m very lucky it didn’t kill me. Lucky I had access to a crv for much of that period.

Also they’re not going to meet the requirement of holding up after 10 years in a salt state. Even my diff housing was basically rusting through. (2008 miata). You could argue that’s going to be any car but you’ll also be in for a new top because they do not hold up well either. I had to do brakes way more frequently than other cars as well due to rust issues. Not sure what the deal was with that.

And putting luggage in it bigger than a carry on is a problem as well.

The people who drive Miatas in winter and claim it’s fine are simply insane or lying. When the New England sleet mix is on the road good luck even on winter tires. It’s just way too light.

Also I got backed into twice because nobody can see the thing.

Yeah it’s safe to say I do not miss the Miata except for beautiful summer days.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

ethanol posted:

Probably a right hand drive. Gas (petrol) pedal is closer to the door

Exactly