Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Harold Fjord posted:

That's already been poo poo down by Sinema and Manchin.

Typo or not, this sentence is true either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If fetal personhood at that state becomes legalized does that mean every miscarriage needs to be investigated?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

bobjr posted:

If fetal personhood at that state becomes legalized does that mean every miscarriage needs to be investigated?

Yes.

That was already the case for Texas.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bobjr posted:

It most likely won't be limited to miscarriages, "we think she got an abortion" is gonna be the "I smell weed" of cops being able to randomly target women. Drive by a planned parenthood? Well, they just need to make sure you weren't just coming back from an abortion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bobjr posted:

Yes. All uterus-havers become potential crime scenes and deserve a commensurate level of monitoring and supervision.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

This will definitely happen as is already the case in the Worst States.

I wonder what this means for fertilized frozen embryos. Is the egg donor forced to carry them? Will they have forced surrogacy? Will it be murder to keep them on ice forever?

They’ve opened some wild scenarios with this poo poo and it’s going to be really fascinating and depressing to watch.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Black Lives Matter? We can't jump on that quick enough!

Don't Say Gay Laws? We're all over that!

Reproductive Freedom? We'll get back to you!

quote:

We contacted 30 of the most powerful companies in America. Few had anything to say about Roe v Wade

Fortune reached out to 30 of America’s largest companies by revenue for a response on Monday, although as of the time of publishing, few had responded.

List of companies

Walmart
Did not respond to Fortune’s request for comment.

Amazon

Apple

CVS Health
“We’re monitoring the situation closely and evaluating how we can best support the coverage needs of our colleagues, clients, and consumers. We’ve made out-of-state care accessible and affordable for employees in states that have instituted more restrictive laws.”

UnitedHealth Group

Berkshire Hathaway

McKesson

Amerisource Bergen

Alphabet

Exxon Mobile

AT&T

Costco

Cigna

Cardinal Health

Microsoft
“Thank you for the inquiry; the company has nothing to share.”

Walgreens Boots Alliance

Kroger

Home Depot
“We’re not going to speculate, so I don’t have anything for you at this time. I’ll let you know if that changes.”

JP Morgan Chase

Verizon Communications

Ford Motor

General Motors

Anthem

Centene

Fannie Mae
“We respectfully decline to comment.”

Comcast

Chevron

Dell
“There's still much we don't know about how this would impact our business and employees. Right now, our focus is on our team members and supporting them with the benefits and support they need. We believe they need more health care in the future, not less. This is all I can offer you at this time.”

Bank of America
“Fairly safe to say we won’t have anything here.”

Target

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Star Man posted:

It's that I consider my home to be sacred and the last thing I want is my job in it or my employer able to monitor me at home. When I'm at work, I'm at state; when I'm at home, I'm at church.

I'm apparently in a very small minority of people who feel that way. Being at home all day is real fuckin boring and a job at least got me out of the house. It sucks enough to complain about work when I'm at home, now my new job is going to be in my home. That degree of separation meant that work was over there and I don't have to worry about it or see things associated with it. Now it's gonna eat up a corner of my apartment.

I don't fuckin know. I didn't major in employable skills, so maybe I just drank too much hard water as a kid or something.

I'm the same, I had to work from home at my previous office job and personally I hated it. I currently work in supply chain now and not in a office position so I do not have the option to work from home but that's what I prefer.

Respect to those that can balance the work/home life.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm glad the Democrats are standing up and doing something, hopefully they have enough voted into office to get it though.

Oh, you sweet summer child

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Star Man posted:

I must have some kind of brain damage, because I loathe the idea of working from home. I don't enjoy commuting either, but I'd prefer to keep my job and my home in separate locations.
I started doing full time WFH over ten years ago. I had a similar problem with it and initially part of me was secretly hoping my employer would cut me loose (I didn't give them a choice; I held a lot of cards and said, "I'll keep working here, but it will be 2000 miles away from here") and I'd be forced to find something local.

On and off there were times where I enjoyed the flexibility. Like being able to mow the lawn the day before a big storm and the spending a few extra hours that next day catching up. Not a game changer to me personally, but I did appreciate it.

However, the biggest catalyst for changing my opinion was having a child. WFH makes so many aspects of parenting easier and less stressful. For example, you can get away with doing daycare/school pickups/drop offs, one-off medical care appointments, and so on and if need be, have the option to continue working more from home as your kid is watching TV or napping. It offers a tremendous flexibility that is super, super important for me in this current lifestyle. I'd expect a lot of parents who WFH would agree.

HOWEVER, once my six year old reaches an age to be self-sufficient and reliable or reach the age of 18 and thus the ending of my legal responsibility for him, I could definitely see the allure of once again going to work instead of being at home all the time.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Willa Rogers posted:

Black Lives Matter? We can't jump on that quick enough!

Don't Say Gay Laws? We're all over that!

Reproductive Freedom? We'll get back to you!

Its weird to me that Amazon gave no comment, given that they launched a new abortion travel benefit in response to this: [url]https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2022/05/03/amazon-abortion-travel-benefit-pay-employees/9626023002/[/url

Of course, if this decision stands, the first thing Republicans are going to try to do is make cross-state illegal too, and then gun for federal anti-abortion laws.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The story covers that too:

quote:

In response to these new laws, earlier this year, Citigroup announced it would help employees travel out of state to receive necessary care, as did Yelp. Salesforce previously announced it would help employees in Texas relocate for reasons related to reproductive health care access. Austin-based Bumble and Match Group, which owns a slate of dating apps, said that it would establish funds to help employees affected by Texas’ law.

And Amazon announced plans to help employees access the reproductive health care they need, just hours before the Supreme Court draft decision leaked. In an email, the company told employees it will reimburse up to $4,000 annually when they need to travel over 100 miles to obtain needed medical services.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Willa Rogers posted:

The story covers that too:

I'm betting they're doing this for the positive PR because most people have zero desire to disclose their abortion with their employer for obvious reasons.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Lemming posted:

"Americans will see where every senator stands." aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA no shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

It's got to be loving on purpose at this point. These dipshits are only willing to try the things that actually work once it's too loving late. God dammit.

this is human nature.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

US worker productivity fell at the fastest rate in nearly 75 years

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/05/economy/us-productivity-first-quarter-2022/index.html

So probably RWM will paint this as all these work from home employees being lazy, skyrocketing wages for McDonald's workers and all that inflation caused by the $2000/UEI but this seems like the timing coincides with the exact opposite; the return to in person work. I don't really know what to make of it or the gently caress how they measure "worker productivity" I just know that it's been going UP for decades and hasn't been matched by pay increases so maybe the bubble burst or people are just saying "gently caress it" and not busting their rear end as much anymore.

IMO, and from what I've been seeing lately I think a lot of this loss of productivity is due to all the turnover that's going on pretty much everywhere. It takes a bit, even if you're really talented, to be as productive as someone who was doing what you're doing for years previously. Institutional knowledge gets lost as people quit, retire or die from COVID-19 and has to be re-created. In some cases the new way of doing things might be better but it's equally likely that a process will end up being fundamentally slower. My guess is that as the economy goes through its austerity phase and turnover in the job market drops that those productivity numbers will come back up.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
More troubles for the not good sex tape fellow.

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1522234966838554632

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm curious about who would have access to some of the materials being leaked about cawthorn. It's a pretty diverse range of stuff.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm curious about who would have access to some of the materials being leaked about cawthorn. It's a pretty diverse range of stuff.

Maybe he shared it to show how cool he was to get into those coke orgies they didn't let him attend.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

PhazonLink posted:

this is human nature.

Personally I would disagree with this. It is not a general human response it is a response best typified by those with power.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

this is human nature.

And? These are the people elected to the highest positions of power in our government and entrusted with protecting our rights, not a neighbor who annoyingly calls a tree trimming service after a branch from his yard breaks a window in your shed.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 5, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

this is human nature.

On an individual level yeah, but the noble idea of collective actions is that working together allows us to overcome our limitations and be far better at managing risk. In practice that collective action can also be captured and used to benefit a few but we don't need to accept that.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Kevin McCarthy, who else???

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Discendo Vox posted:

Per the reporter, this particular one is just them doing some digging and finding a screwup, not a leak. Which, given the story, seems pretty plausible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Trazz posted:

Kevin McCarthy, who else???

K-Mac strikes me as the type of guy who doesn't go to the coke orgies himself because he's too much of a nebbish prude, but is the guy who everyone who goes to the coke orgies runs to to rat out everyone else they saw at the coke orgies thinking they were gaining some kind of upper hand on someone else.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Assuming the hitpiece on cawthorn really is a hitpiece, wonder if they people that want to see cawthorn get damaged are annoyied at being overshadowed by the SCOUTUS leak.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Bugsy posted:

More troubles for the not good sex tape fellow.

https://twitter.com/SollenbergerRC/status/1522234966838554632

I'm surprised people still are like "The evidence just isn't concrete yet..." You vastly overpay a staffer, live with them, took them with you on your honeymoon, have photos groping them and a video performing a sex act on them. Now imagine this- you're male, and they're female. What would be the most simple conclusion? "Yeah, they're loving."

It'd be a over and done with gossip story if Cawthorn wasn't homophobic in public.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but had a question that's been bugging me for quite a while:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/military-spending-defense-budget

why is it that defense spending under reagan was much higher as a percentage of gpd than during any of the post clinton years? according to that graph, under reagan, defense spending hovered between 6-7%. whereas not a single year past 2003 went over 5%. and yes, i know we had that whole cold war thing going on, but we had, you know, an ACTUAL war (TWO OF THEM IN FACT!) since dubya. how does that work?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but had a question that's been bugging me for quite a while:

https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/military-spending-defense-budget

why is it that defense spending under reagan was much higher as a percentage of gpd than during any of the post clinton years? according to that graph, under reagan, defense spending hovered between 6-7%. whereas not a single year past 2003 went over 5%. and yes, i know we had that whole cold war thing going on, but we had, you know, an ACTUAL war (TWO OF THEM IN FACT!) since dubya. how does that work?

My first thought would be Cold War, but I don't know that for sure.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Payback for the people that put him in power

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
US GDP grew faster than it's military budget, perhaps?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Gort posted:

US GDP grew faster than it's military budget, perhaps?

A lot of it is probably this, plus we spent money on developing a lot of new weapon systems (including the stealth bomber) that was used for decades afterwards.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Mr Interweb posted:

wasn't part of Reagan's strategy to increase spending heavily to get the Soviets to follow suit and bankrupt themselves since the Soviet economy wasn't capable of sustaining huge expenditures like that anymore? I thought a lot of that US spending went to silly programs like STAR WARS.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

In addition to what's been said, when the Cold War ended there really was a push to reduce the size and scope of the military. Right-wingers love to talk about Clinton as the one that "gutted it" but he mostly followed a plan GHWB laid out. It's not like the US military ever got small, but after the Soviets collapsed there was a general bipartisan consensus that maybe we didn't have to have so many active duty personnel, so many planes and tanks, lots of other things. Salaries, benefits, and other things that scale directly to active duty forces are a big part of military expenditures too, and those dropped after 1990 and never really came back.

The graph would look a lot different if Iraq and Afghanistan were the types of war where the US mobilized a million new soldiers or was suffering a lot of equipment losses from near-peer foes, but the slow-grind counterinsurgency stuff doesn't make the same big peaks relative to peacetime. The cost is more human than dollars.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

wasn't part of Reagan's strategy to increase spending heavily to get the Soviets to follow suit and bankrupt themselves since the Soviet economy wasn't capable of sustaining huge expenditures like that anymore?

It was the entire part, yes.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Mr Interweb posted:

The defense budget is passed in terms of dollars, not in percent of the GDP, and the GDP keeps getting bigger. So we spend more money but it's a smaller portion of the economy.

Also, the 1980s were a period where the US was spending a lot of money to modernize and rebuild the military after the low points of the 1970s, and we were goading the USSR into trying to match our spending, which eventually ran them into the ground.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Tnega posted:

As far as I can tell, if Graham-Cassidy refers to the Graham-Cassidy amendment to the Affordable Care Act it did not fail by one vote, it was never put to a vote. Am I missing something obvious?

I should be more clear. Graham Cassidy saw momentum right up to the end when McCain killed the skinny repeal. They only had 4 hard nos in Paul (somehow,) McCain, Collins, and Murkowski. In closed door talks he was able to get Murkowski behind the block grant idea but didn't like the the tight schedule. Only after Collins released her statement was it officially dead. McCain killing the skinny repeal and eating enough time to bring things up against the reconciliation expiration sucked the oxygen out of the room, they were going to make block grants a central part of any attempt going forward. Thankfully the midterms stopped everything. I meant to say were one vote short.

All those shots of disabled people outside senate offices being drug out of their chairs by police was to stop this.

Here's a post mortem:

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/27/obamacare-repeal-graham-cassidy-243178

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Cheesus posted:

I started doing full time WFH over ten years ago. I had a similar problem with it and initially part of me was secretly hoping my employer would cut me loose (I didn't give them a choice; I held a lot of cards and said, "I'll keep working here, but it will be 2000 miles away from here") and I'd be forced to find something local.

On and off there were times where I enjoyed the flexibility. Like being able to mow the lawn the day before a big storm and the spending a few extra hours that next day catching up. Not a game changer to me personally, but I did appreciate it.

However, the biggest catalyst for changing my opinion was having a child. WFH makes so many aspects of parenting easier and less stressful. For example, you can get away with doing daycare/school pickups/drop offs, one-off medical care appointments, and so on and if need be, have the option to continue working more from home as your kid is watching TV or napping. It offers a tremendous flexibility that is super, super important for me in this current lifestyle. I'd expect a lot of parents who WFH would agree.

HOWEVER, once my six year old reaches an age to be self-sufficient and reliable or reach the age of 18 and thus the ending of my legal responsibility for him, I could definitely see the allure of once again going to work instead of being at home all the time.

I'm single, childless, and live by myself in a one-bedroom apartment, so it's gonna be real hard to separate work from home.

I think what gets me about it is that when I'm between jobs, I just end up glued to my computer and keep weird hours where I was up all night, slept all day, and just sat around. What always managed to pull me out of it was a job with regular hours, so I'd have to be somewhere and have something to do. I struggled in undergrad with any classes that had to be done online because I never felt accountable and they'd end up getting sidelined. I don't even do my laundry in my building because I'll just start it and leave it and ignore it for too long, so going to a laundromat forces me to just get it done.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

PhazonLink posted:

Assuming the hitpiece on cawthorn really is a hitpiece, wonder if they people that want to see cawthorn get damaged are annoyied at being overshadowed by the SCOUTUS leak.

I don't think they really care. The reason I assume they're going out of their way to destroy him in every direction is because the "coke orgy" thing was real, but the undisclosed part of it is that, the attendees are all horrible ancient disgusting men (and like, a few token horrible ancient disgusting women), so it's extremely unlikely they'd be loving each other at those orgies. Given Matt Gaetz's ability to get away with probably sex trafficking, the conclusion more or less invokes itself.

Or to put it bluntly -- Cawthorne (accidentally?) probably alluded to something less "Eyes Wide Shut" and more "Epstein's Basement" and that sort of thing is maybe one of the only terrible things the public would turn on the republicans for.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
A vasectomy sure is looking good right about now

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ershalim posted:

I don't think they really care. The reason I assume they're going out of their way to destroy him in every direction is because the "coke orgy" thing was real, but the undisclosed part of it is that, the attendees are all horrible ancient disgusting men (and like, a few token horrible ancient disgusting women), so it's extremely unlikely they'd be loving each other at those orgies. Given Matt Gaetz's ability to get away with probably sex trafficking, the conclusion more or less invokes itself.

Or to put it bluntly -- Cawthorne (accidentally?) probably alluded to something less "Eyes Wide Shut" and more "Epstein's Basement" and that sort of thing is maybe one of the only terrible things the public would turn on the republicans for.

Cawthorne broke the First Rule of Coke Orgy Human Trafficking Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/US-Senate-Passes-NOPEC-Antitrust-Bill.html

I'm sure this won't just piss off OPEC into cramming their fingers up america's collective nose. Surely....