Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It gets tricky when that nickname is also a racial epithet or stereotype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Lol there are many different kinds of people with flat noses

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We don't need to attack or defend the filmmakers for it they honestly saw the response said "yeah our bad" and made the change. pretty easy tbh.

for what it's worth I've had comments about my nose from most if not all of my chinese in law family (i'm white) and I saw her comment as a cute and realistic way of showing a chinese american woman and how she would refer to people. It's not even meant as an insult it's like her calling her daughter fat. it's just a thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

This adds some much needed context, to be honest, and now the whole thing seems even sillier and makes the original complainers seem kind of self-absorbed and solipsistic.

FWIW I think referring to an unnamed character in a movie by the only thing anyone in the movie referred to them is probably just a commonly accepted shorthand and not an insistence upon the filmmakers part that the actress needs a rhinoplasty.
It’s really pathetic that you won’t let this go when the filmmakers had no trouble seeing the problem and immediately correcting it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Vegetable posted:

It’s really pathetic that you won’t let this go when the filmmakers had no trouble seeing the problem and immediately correcting it

As a Jewish person it really frustrates me when we try to make things that absolutely aren’t anti-Semitic about us, it makes all of us look bad and reinforces bad attitudes. This is a really great example of that, IMO, and it’s frustrating to me. Sorry my personal feelings upset you, feel free to put me on your ignore list if it continues to be a hardship

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
The salient part of this controversy is the reveal of a deleted scene that would have contributed to a narrative of the film that what prevents the harmonious relation of disparate people is particular personal problems and their solutions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That seashell movie looks awful

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
An extended edition is the true solution to this oversight

Do it, Daniels

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would happily and effortlessly and repeatedly watch a 160 minute cut of this film

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

With all the googly eye stuff I honestly thought Marcel was a joke trailer for a fictional movie within Everything Everywhere

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the internet really has to stop calling everything anti-semitism because its a real boy who cried wolf situation.

Except the wolf comes more than in the story/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Cacator posted:

It had jokes about tampons and pubes, do babies like those?

idk man, that's like if they put a used condom in Paddington 3. keep that poo poo out of baby movies, it's inappropriate

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

As a Jewish person it really frustrates me when we try to make things that absolutely aren’t anti-Semitic about us, it makes all of us look bad and reinforces bad attitudes. This is a really great example of that, IMO, and it’s frustrating to me. Sorry my personal feelings upset you, feel free to put me on your ignore list if it continues to be a hardship

Ok but who made you personally the adjudicator of what is real antisemitism and what is not? If a thing has been used to stereotype and mock Jews throughout history and a portion of Jews find it uncomfortable to see something that looks similar to that, then even if you personally are not offended by it that doesn't mean it's stupid/unfounded.

Also "my fellow minority members shouldn't act like [x] because it will reinforce the majority's negative opinions" is pure internalised bigotry. People will always find reasons to be antisemitic, it's not on us to behave a certain way to not provoke them. Free yourself from judging your fellows for being upset about something you aren't upset about, it's okay.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Idk you seem like the square here, not Bust

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gaius Marius posted:

That seashell movie looks awful

Turn on your monitor :chord:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/HAEDRAULICS/status/1516995166338531331?t=pmtR2OHvOVhWeeaF11foTg&s=19

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The rest of the internet is made up of forums lurkers who come to SA to steal ideas

Steve Yun posted:

Taking a stab at interpretation:

The bagel represents a pessimistic nihilism. The daughter invests emotionally into her mom by introducing her girlfriend (putting everything on the bagel) and like a black hole she gets nothing back from her mom. This drives her to be nihilistic.

The googly eye represents empathy. By experiencing her multiverse lives (including one where she is gay herself) Evelyn gains understanding of people outside herself, and “sees” them better.

The eye is a black dot surrounded by white, the bagel is a white hole surrounded by black

not really but I’m gonna brag about being the first to point it out anyways

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

The rest of the internet is made up of forums lurkers who come to SA to steal ideas

Every poster firstjumps to a universe where they paid :10bux: to excel in forums warfare.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm from the timeline where my hot dog hands allows me to deftly shitpost on an Internet forum.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

KirbyKhan posted:

Every poster firstjumps to a universe where they paid :10bux: to excel in forums warfare.

must view and link to goatse seven times to get this skill

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
very big ugly cry movie for me. had to keep it together near the end because there were some teenagers sitting next to me laughing at the hot dog fingers and raccoon and I was just biting down on my lip trying not to sob as the asian immigrant mom apologizes for mistreating her queer daughter. I thought the rock + cliff imagery and family pulling Joy out of the black hole were very deeply affecting film imagery.

here's my buddhist view of this movie
I've been reading the korean zen buddhist book Dropping Ashes on the Buddha. The author, the monk Seung Sahn, says that there are five steps to enlightenment, like going around the four quadrants of a circle and returning at last to the original point.

0 degrees is attachment to name and form. "This is the area of thinking and attachment. Thinking is desire, desire is suffering. All things are separated into opposites: good and bad, beautiful and ugly, mine and yours. I like this; I don't like that. I try to get happiness and avoid suffering. So life here is suffering, and suffering is life."

90 degrees is attachment to thinking. "Before you were born, you were zero; now you are one; in the future, you will die and again become zero. So zero equals one, one equals zero. All things here are the same, because they are of the same substance. All things have name and form, but their names and forms come from emptiness and will return to emptiness."

180 degrees is the experience of true emptiness. "So there are no mountains, no rivers, no God, no Buddha, nothing at all."

270 degrees is the area of magic and miracles. "Here, there is complete freedom, with no hindrance in space or time. This is called live thinking. I can change my body into a snake's. I can ride a cloud to the Western Heaven. I can walk on water. If I want life, I have life; if I want death, I have death. In this area, a statue can cry; the ground is not dark or light; the tree has no roots; the valley has no echo. If you stay at 180 degrees, you become attached to emptiness. If you stay at 270 degrees, you become attached to freedom."

360 degrees returns back to the world of name and form. "All things are just as they are; the truth is just like this. 'Like this' means that there is no attachment to anything. This point is exactly the same as the zero point: we arrive where we began, where we have always been. The difference is that zero degrees is attachment to thinking, while 360 degrees is no-attachment thinking."

i think the movie more or less operates within the parameters of these ideas.

-Evelyn begins the movie with attachment to name and form. "Being a laundromat owner is bad. Being a movie star would be good."
-Alpha Waymond introduces Evelyn to attachment to thinking. "You aren't just a laundromat owner. You could be a movie star, or a kung fu master, or a chef, or a singer. If things had just gone a little different, if you had just put your shoes on backward, or chewed gum at just this moment...."
-The barren world of the two rocks on a cliff is true emptiness. The world is devoid of solid meaning. So it might as well be uninhabited.
-Jobu Tupaki Joy's experience of reality, and the experience that Evelyn eventually gains, is attachment to freedom. If the world is devoid of meaning, then there's no reason it has to be the way it is now. Now we are humans, now we are pinatas, now we are children's drawings. What if I am lesbian with hot dog fingers? What if raccoons can control people by pulling their hair? The world we currently live in is just as arbitrary, meaningless, and stupid as any of these alternatives, so it is equally as true as all of them.
-Waymond and eventually Evelyn with her third eye opened return back to the world of name and form. Doing laundry and filing taxes. Evelyn realizes that "the potential to be anyone" includes the potential to be the person I am right here and now. I am here with my hot dog fingers wife: I will love her. I am here with my coworker who wants his raccoon back: I will let him ride me. I am here with my family in a mediocre American laundromat: I will be good to them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Where does the buttplug fit into

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

The butt, obviously.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Steve Yun posted:

Organza Quiz posted:

The butt, obviously.

didn't seem like it fit very well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I mean, they did all that with them in there, so I think they fit just fine.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Cephas posted:

very big ugly cry movie for me. had to keep it together near the end because there were some teenagers sitting next to me laughing at the hot dog fingers and raccoon and I was just biting down on my lip trying not to sob as the asian immigrant mom apologizes for mistreating her queer daughter. I thought the rock + cliff imagery and family pulling Joy out of the black hole were very deeply affecting film imagery.

here's my buddhist view of this movie
[spoiler]I've been reading the korean zen buddhist book Dropping Ashes on the Buddha. The author, the monk Seung Sahn, says that there are five steps to enlightenment, like going around the four quadrants of a circle and returning at last to the original point.

This is really interesting stuff, and it does look like a good fit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
EEA@1 closing in on 40 million

Forbes discussing possible Oscar nod??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bust Rodd posted:

EEA@1 closing in on 40 million

Forbes discussing possible Oscar nod??

Yeoh's gonna definitely get a Best Actress nom, I could see supporting for any of Quan, Hsu and Curtis, but probably not all of them. Best Picture, Screenplay and Director are definite possibilities.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s gonna be A24’s 3rd biggest box office movie after Hereditary and Midsommar, and it’s apparently made more than every Oscar nom made last year except for DUNE and something else! Looking good for Michele et al!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 7, 2022

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This is my favourite movie to come out since Parasite. There's so many great comedic moments and emotional crescendos.

I appreciate what this movie was about. I'm generally a nihilistic person that's made "don't get your hopes up" my mantra because it makes the inevitable rejections in life sting a little less. I see myself in Evelyn (or am I Joy?) and Waymond's approach to life is eye opening.

This needs to be everywhere come awards season and I'm dreading Hollywood ignoring it. Michelle, Stephanie, and Ke Hu Quan (and even Jamie Lee Curtis) all had incredible performances in completely different ways.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Edit: My bookmarks hosed me over.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

MokBa posted:

Elden Ring and Breath of the Wild are my two favorite games of all time, and while they have a lot of similarities, the feeling of playing each is incredibly different. BotW is a much more calming experience for me, with occasional bouts of challenge. Hyrule is like a giant outdoor playground. ER, I would say, is the"better" game, with much more to do and much greater rewards for exploring and engaging with the content. But I just plain have more fun with BotW and enjoy the experience of being in that world. I think they compliment each other very well and I only hope Nintendo can learn from the Souls series the way that From so openly builds upon the Zelda series.

I want an EEAAO video game now but it’s a fighting game with a dozen different Evelyns with different skill sets

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Steve Yun posted:

I want an EEAAO video game now but it’s a fighting game with a dozen different Evelyns with different skill sets
Salty Bet but you actually play.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sifu but you don't wanna know how you unlock new moves.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I think the daniels are pretty solid.
Dickey Long > Swiss Army Men > This Reddit-rear end Spider-Man

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Why no nickname for Swiss army man

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Why was so much of this set in an IRS office? I feel like I'm missing a very obvious joke.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you ever been audited

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
Because the budget was $25 mil and it has to be set somewhere

I didn't love the movie but I have to say, it looks loving amazing for that budget. The effects felt way better than what you see in a marvel movie for a fraction of the cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Taxes are a record of our decisions in numbers, Evelyn is metaphorically auditing her life while literally doing it in the IRS. Also it's a joke about the two constants in life.