Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

His handle doesn't even have the underscore. Dude misspelled his own handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

davecrazy posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-tsaplienko-tank-t-90-1703662

Is the T-90M their best tank? I thought it was the T-14?

T-14 is an OPFOR VISMOD on a PT-76 hull.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Even if the T-14 is everything they say it is and more they have produced few of them and have so far been afraid to deploy them. Either because they aren't actually battle ready or because it would be too embarrassing for the world to see their fancy supertank die like all the rest.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 5, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Look let’s just say everyone from ingorious bastards otherwise it’s like trying to pick which child you love the most.

"Not [x] just chewed out. I been chewed out before," has been my YOLO since this movie premiered.

E: Oh sorry lol gently caress

:ghitler: "Lazy poo poo posting?! You'll be banned for this!"

:clint: "More like probated, I been probated before."

pls don't probe me :negative:

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 5, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

my kinda ape posted:

Even if the T-14 is everything they say it is and more they have produced few of them and have so far been afraid to deploy them. Either because they aren't actually battle ready or because it would be too embarrassing for the world to see their fancy supertank die like all the rest.

Pretty much. Plus I think most of the the experienced members of their tank corps are currently helping fertilize sunflowers, and they don't want to issue these to their junior varsity.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1522153799678373890?t=F-Us_7jDayEf239wPZbDcA&s=19

:ironicat:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think that was the point

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Why won't you enable us to curb stomp an entire country, WHY?!" :qq:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASAPI posted:

I've been seeing lots of people talking about a May 9th "end of the war". I am also seeing a large "push" to post things that imply that the US would be incapable of engaging in a conflict due to supply chain issues/Millennials/we are weak/woke something or another.

I assume the two "discussions" are an attempt to lay the groundwork for a Russian withdrawal. I bet that Putin and company have received a report detailing just how bad a shape the "reserves" are in.

Our logistics, are, in practical terms, limitless re: needs. It is all a question of money, diplomacy, and to a limited degree politics. You get all of that going and you can do dumb bullshit like sustain a surge in a land locked pariah state in a part of the world where your country is not so popular.

We don’t come up short on the logistics game.

We’d also crush Russia’s military in a fight. But they have lots of nukes, and by the rules of the game, they’re a fellow superpower. Even if they’re a paper tiger, they’re a paper tiger with a ton of nukes.

If the LGM-25 Sentinel, the B-21, and Columbia Class SSBN’s all deliver what they’re supposedly capable of there’s a future where we could maybe possibly “win” with an unfuckingbelievable first strike.

But that’s in a world where we get 175-225 B-21’s in the ~$500million per airframe range, and that the ALCM replacement pans out. And that the Sentinels get MIRV’d/MARV’d/HGV’d in the right combination that’s needed.

gently caress I got high in the middle of my point and forgot what it was. Edibles hit weird.

War bad.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

davecrazy posted:

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-tsaplienko-tank-t-90-1703662

Is the T-90M their best tank? I thought it was the T-14?

The T-90M is the best tank we've seen appear in this war, but it's not that special. Because the T-90 is just a post-gulf war rebranding of the T-72, you can think of the base T-90 as a T-72B2.5, and the T-90M is very similar in quality to the T-72B3M. We've already seen quite a few T-72B3Ms get blown up. Why not a T-90M as well?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ASAPI posted:

I've been seeing lots of people talking about a May 9th "end of the war". I am also seeing a large "push" to post things that imply that the US would be incapable of engaging in a conflict due to supply chain issues/Millennials/we are weak/woke something or another.

The US has won both large scale conventional wars that it's fought in the post-Cold War era, both times against a Soviet trained and equipped force. Conventional war is easy if you're trained and have advanced technology and logistics. Counter-insurgency, on the other hand, is very, very hard, but we aren't talking about counter-insurgency.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Joke Miriam posted:

His handle doesn't even have the underscore. Dude misspelled his own handle.

probably his csgo handle

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Our logistics, are, in practical terms, limitless re: needs. It is all a question of money, diplomacy, and to a limited degree politics. You get all of that going and you can do dumb bullshit like sustain a surge in a land locked pariah state in a part of the world where your country is not so popular.

We’d also crush Russia’s military in a fight. But they have lots of nukes, and by the rules of the game, they’re a fellow superpower. Even if they’re a paper tiger, they’re a paper tiger with a ton of nukes.

If the LGM-25 Sentinel, the B-21, and Columbia Class SSBN’s all deliver what they’re supposedly capable of there’s a future where we could maybe possibly “win” with an unfuckingbelievable first strike.

But that’s in a world where we get 175-225 B-21’s in the ~$500million per airframe range, and that the ALCM replacement pans out. And that the Sentinels get MIRV’d/MARV’d/HGV’d in the right combination that’s needed.

gently caress I got high in the middle of my point and forgot what it was. Edibles hit weird.

War bad.

Even with a completely unopposed US first strike knocking out Russia completely, there would arguably be enough fallout thrown into the atmosphere to trigger a global nuclear winter. *Probably* not a good idea.

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

psydude posted:

The US has won both large scale conventional wars that it's fought in the post-Cold War era, both times against a Soviet trained and equipped force. Conventional war is easy if you're trained and have advanced technology and logistics. Counter-insurgency, on the other hand, is very, very hard, but we aren't talking about counter-insurgency.

Most people don't realize/care about the distinction between a counterinsurgency and a conventional war. War is war. For those milnerds and like-minded and those who actually have to wage conflicts, there's absolutely a difference.

I agree about the large-scale comment. The world basically learned in 1991 that you DO NOT go toe-to-toe with the United States in a set-piece conventional conflict, and that lesson largely holds true today.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ukraine: Edibles hit weird. War bad.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

FrozenVent posted:

So today I found out that, well… I’ll just post the screenshot from Google news search:

the russians want him on their side to learn the secrets of sex pestery

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

This is incorrect, the last surge that happened was GW1 and that did not go smoothly. In the last 30 years there has been a pretty significant degradation in sealift capability. Almost all MARAD hulls are at least 40 years old with some being 50+. The last activation was in 2019 and there were plenty of mechanical failures, MARAD just doesn't have the budget to do any maintenance for the NDRF.

This isnt even talking about the bodies, my union currently has 40ish people on vessels looking for a relief. If those vessels are activated there is a good chance we do not have the labor force to fill the jobs or sustain it for 6 months. Companies like Patriot are struggling to get qualified officers on their list so they can get at least someone with a security clearance on board.

The vessels and crews are the current cornerstones of US sealift strategy at this time, its going to be an uphill battle to implement it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Last I read about the T-14, Russia couldn't produce the engines needed for them, much less the high technology. Uralvagonzavod is also apparently going bankrupt, too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Last I read about the T-14, Russia couldn't produce the engines needed for them, much less the high technology. Uralvagonzavod is also apparently going bankrupt, too.

Yeah the T-14 broke down in the parade last time they brought it out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So how far out is the UAF from Mariupol hypothetically?

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah the T-14 broke down in the parade last time they brought it out.

nyet cyka, that was operator error on the tank crew's part. They have been sent to Siberia for re-training. Stop believing western lies

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

So how far out is the UAF from Mariupol hypothetically?

nyet cyka, that was operator error on the tank crew's part. They have been sent to Siberia for re-training. Stop believing western lies

They've run helicopters in there before, to bring supplies and evacuate wounded. They may not be able to do that any more, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Soul Dentist posted:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

-captured by a russian soldier's phone call to his mother

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Dentist posted:

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Ukraine ate a high-dose edible of M777s not too long ago, it's gonna be interesting once somebody starts feeling the effects from that.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/05/javelin-nlaw-operator-in-ukraine-killed-6-russian-armored-vehicles-in-1-day/

One Ukrainian soldier has reportedly fired 9 Javelins since the beginning of the war, scoring 8 kills and 1 damaging hit; 6 of the kills happening on the same day. Guy deserves a medal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Ghost of Kyiv lives on

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

big whoop, I got that in MW2 easy

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Ghost of Kyiv lives on

Paid for by Raytheon.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Ajaxify posted:

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2022/05/javelin-nlaw-operator-in-ukraine-killed-6-russian-armored-vehicles-in-1-day/

One Ukrainian soldier has reportedly fired 9 Javelins since the beginning of the war, scoring 8 kills and 1 damaging hit; 6 of the kills happening on the same day. Guy deserves a medal.

Is there an "ace" equivalent among AT infantry?

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

cult_hero posted:

Is there an "ace" equivalent among AT infantry?

Yeah, they're called Taints. Short for: Tanks Ain't Welcome Here.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Apparently a Polish company is making Ghost of Kyiv MiG-29 Lego-compatible kits. With possible TB2 and Farmer/Tank sets as well in the near future, if there's enough interest.
https://warbricks.com/product-category/cobi-block-sets/cobi-ukrainian-sets/

Ajaxify posted:

Ace in a day

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I found a new way to support Ukraine
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1929420/Hentai_Mission_Ukraine/

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Apparently a Polish company is making Ghost of Kyiv MiG-29 Lego-compatible kits. With possible TB2 and Farmer/Tank sets as well in the near future, if there's enough interest.
https://warbricks.com/product-category/cobi-block-sets/cobi-ukrainian-sets/

Ace in a day

dude gonna get the golden javelin in a week

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Alan Smithee posted:

dude gonna get the golden javelin in a week

god did I love just slinging those things around. Effectiveness was completely random but you got some occasionally fantastic ragemics.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

War bad.

Could you explain how?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Could you explain how?

In theory, a sufficiently overwhelming and sudden nuclear first strike can take out an adversary's ability to respond before they get a chance to fire back. Basically take out enough of the Russians' ability to respond before they respond, so the response is survivable.

In practice, this would be such a global catastrophe that it would be hard for anyone involved to claim a win.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Considering the state of the rest of the Russian military's equipment at every level I would be surprised if even 20% of their strategic warheads could successfully detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Could you explain how?
I'd also be curious to hear more! Even supposing the US could take out Russia's early warning systems and the new delivery mechanisms can wipe the field of strategic bombers and ICBMs with 100% accuracy, surely Russia would retain enough counterpunch via SLBM to make the "win" apocalyptically Pyrrhic?