Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

median income in Los Angeles is the same as Shanghai (purchasing power is lower in LA lol) and I'm sure LA has 2 million dollar apartments too so I guess I'm out of touch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Nothus posted:

What's with the bias against older homes in Japan? Is it a construction industry subsidy?

Older construction is guaranteed to be terrible because it was assumed that it would be destroyed by earthquake, fire, or tsunami.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

my mortgage originator

“I am beginning to see a lot more reasonable offers being accepted at or below listing price. “

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

housing will never crash and your worth as a person will only ever increase as a home owner

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you have to buy a house when interest rates are high or climbing, then ARMs can make sense with the idea that you would refinance to a fixed rate when interest rates lower. ARMs will typically have a lower initial interest rate then a fixed rate at the time and that allows you to put more money toward the principal potentially saving a ton of money in the long run. Doubly so if you do a 15year ARM, then refinance after like 3 years.

...what happens if the value of your house goes down between the time you buy a house with an ARM, and the time you want to refinance...

I know, I know! Its housing! House prices only go up! This was just a hypothetical...

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol, i suspect most buyers using ARM aren't forward thinking types that are forecasting interest rate changes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my mortgage originator

“I am beginning to see a lot more reasonable offers being accepted at or below listing price. “

brace for impact

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

shrike82 posted:

lol, i suspect most buyers using ARM aren't forward thinking types that are forecasting interest rate changes

and the ones pitching them aren't going to explain the complications that thoroughly if it means a faster close

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

bi crimes posted:

yeah but I bought a year ago and there’s a year long gap until homestead kicks in so I’m thoroughly owned

This is from the second page and haven’t caught up yet, so sorry if this was discussed to death. We are in the same position (not Austin though). The letter from the county tax office said they assessed the the value of our property on January 1, 2022 and their assessment was literally 55% higher than what we the bank paid for it 4 months earlier. Absolutely nuts. I’m pulling together a bunch of documents to try to fight it and have found several very similar homes in the same area that basically sold for what we paid for ours, but I don’t have much hope. You can see the assessments for every property and they are all equal 40-65% higher than they were the year before. Talking from people in our area who’ve tried to fight it before, it sounds like you get rejected with “well our official certified assessors said it’s this, so tough luck” unless there is just an obvious math error (e.g. missing decimal) or you literally bought the house the day before and show the paperwork.

Even in this market the house ain’t worth that much. And we barely got into this house. If I stayed a teacher we literally never would have been able to live in a house. (Rural school districts have cheaper homes but also pay much, much less. And there really isn’t any viable commute at this point that would let you commute in from a cheap area unless you want a 2 hour commute.)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Antonymous posted:

median income in Los Angeles is the same as Shanghai (purchasing power is lower in LA lol) and I'm sure LA has 2 million dollar apartments too so I guess I'm out of touch

tbf, los angeles sucks rear end

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Bar Ran Dun posted:

my mortgage originator

lol if true

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Maybe Austin will be cleared out and less congested after they all flee the collapsing city

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

half a mil to buy an old people only apartment in a 15 unit building right next to a road that never doesn’t have cars driving on it and serves as one of the main roads into Estes Park

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

i am harry posted:

half a mil to buy an old people only apartment in a 15 unit building right next to a road that never doesn’t have cars driving on it and serves as one of the main roads into Estes Park

lol epic I saw that and my first thought was "Wow 460k for 2100 square feet within walking distance of a lake, not bad"

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
within frogger distance of a lake

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Maybe the cost of fines and citations for painting your own crosswalk there are smaller than the amount extra you'd have to pay for a place with better lake access

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

don’t forget the scenic storm water run off ditch

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

don’t forget the scenic storm water run off ditch

riverside, sometimes

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/alan_mustache/status/1522373681141489665

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fozzy The Bear posted:

...what happens if the value of your house goes down between the time you buy a house with an ARM, and the time you want to refinance...

I know, I know! Its housing! House prices only go up! This was just a hypothetical...

Yea that sucks, but even with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks, you are just SoL. With an ARM, if the value tanks AND inflation drops, then maybe you won't be paying as much in interest.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Anyone else notice there's been a uptick in those creepy af Roommate Wanted ads? Like "60 year old white male seeking a 30 year old single Asian female roommate for 400$ rent"

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm guessing "AC available" and "electric heating" means you bring you own window ac unit and electric space heater.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the window AC unit is visible op

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone else notice there's been a uptick in those creepy af Roommate Wanted ads? Like "60 year old white male seeking a 30 year old single Asian female roommate for 400$ rent"

Nah, I stopped reading craigslist when the personals closed.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeQueerDoCrime/status/1522645340024942592

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Yea that sucks, but even with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks, you are just SoL. With an ARM, if the value tanks AND inflation drops, then maybe you won't be paying as much in interest.

How are you poo poo outta luck with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks? You live in the place and that alone has inherent value.

Back when poo poo fell apart in 2008, the smart money shows were telling people who were underwater on their mortgages to just leave their keys and abandon their homes, because "it made no sense to pay more for something than it's worth." By 2011-2012, those homes had mostly regained their value and then some, and the people / organizations that came out ahead were the ones who bought those abandoned homes out of foreclosure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

this is easily solvable through zoning!!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

thats a steal

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lastgirl posted:

thats a steal

yeah, it's not even anchored to the foundation

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

ARM home mortgages are currently 2.5% or higher, the rate is going to go up, no question. If the value of your house goes down, you will not be able to refinance unless you are able to pay the difference out of pocket and you are stuck with a higher monthly payment.

If you have a 30-year, your monthly payment isn't going to change. ARM loans adjust the rate to current rates or your initial rate +5%(max) after the first few years.

For the lazy with a 20% down payment:
$500k mortgage with 2.5% is about $1,500/month before tax, insurance, etc.
$500k mortgage with 6.0% is about $2,400/month before tax, insurance, etc.
The most likely outcome for those who currently have an ARM loan:
$500k mortgage with 7.5% is about $2,800/month before tax, insurance, etc.

NEVER buy a house with an ARM hoping the rate will go down in the future.

Fozzy The Bear has issued a correction as of 20:48 on May 6, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

How are you poo poo outta luck with a fixed rate mortgage if the value tanks? You live in the place and that alone has inherent value.

Back when poo poo fell apart in 2008, the smart money shows were telling people who were underwater on their mortgages to just leave their keys and abandon their homes, because "it made no sense to pay more for something than it's worth." By 2011-2012, those homes had mostly regained their value and then some, and the people / organizations that came out ahead were the ones who bought those abandoned homes out of foreclosure.

i bought in 2011 and house prices were still pretty low. I don't know if it includes foreclosed properties but prices reached a nadir around early 2012 I think.

and yeah if you have a fixed and the value tanks, well you just keep living there, but there are probably other areas with declining home values that you could move to if you want to sell anyway

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

this is easily solvable through zoning!!

Barcelona full on banned short term rentals in the heart of the city, they’re the only place I’ve heard of that actually did it though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m watching Love it or list it and the Canada house prices are starting to make sense !!

oh no !!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I mean sure, but if you have a ARM, you can't refinance it to a fixed rate so you may end up paying like 60%+ in interest payments over the life of the loan. But yes, you would still be able to live in the house, the only purpose for a house anyway. In 2008 the people who needed to walk away were the idiots who bought interest only mortages and then "owned" like 5 houses for the intended purpose of selling them all for like 50-200% more then the initial mortgage was for. Of course those people were the ones who enabled the bubble to begin with so gently caress them.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

the window AC unit is visible op

as is the sink that can’t fit a single dish

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

unless that story is just "NO" in 72 point font it is a terrible story

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

i say swears online posted:

yeah, it's not even anchored to the foundation

:laugh:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/IzzzyzzzArt/status/1522442776171876352?s=20&t=FHau4ph18cqxmmhYErP6aA

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

some people say housing is a human right

others say it is an opportunity for passive income

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

I mean sure, but if you have a ARM, you can't refinance it to a fixed rate so you may end up paying like 60%+ in interest payments over the life of the loan. But yes, you would still be able to live in the house, the only purpose for a house anyway. In 2008 the people who needed to walk away were the idiots who bought interest only mortages and then "owned" like 5 houses for the intended purpose of selling them all for like 50-200% more then the initial mortgage was for. Of course those people were the ones who enabled the bubble to begin with so gently caress them.

The people who enabled the bubble were the financial institutions op